Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #721
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
That's why you need to come up with a companion cookbook to sell with it.
It needs a cookbook with it.I'm also finding that you can do so much with it.

When I was making the Crab ragoons Ouiziod I wanted something that had more elasticity , then I put in some resistant corn starch. Wow what a difference I was able to hold it in my hand like regular noodle dough. That my friends is amazing on its own. I will put the recpe soon.

I was sick yesterday. I'll try to put it up today.I'm really an eyeballer when it comes to recipe. So I have to make myself write the recipe so everybody can use it.

I really hope you market it. It's really amzaing.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-08-2013 at 08:39 AM..
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I've been sick for 3 weeks - flu knocked me on my butt. I'm trying to catch up on everyone's experiments. Can't wait to try the donut holes, they look fantastic.

Ouizoid, I haven't found this mix to be temperamental at all which is what I love about it. I've always had a terrible time with low carb baking, everything I made came out fairly bad except cheesecake. I find this mix to be the closest thing to a flour sub yet. Sometimes I add almond flour to it if I want more moistness in what I'm making but the crust, the biscuits, everything I've made so far have turned out just like I imagined.

Here's hoping we can figure out how to make a bread with it..wouldn't that be a miracle.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #723
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Ouizoid, don't mean to overstate this point, but I don't think you should market it as a "microwave" product. Microwave "baking" is unpredictable for many reasons, most of which have already been covered in this thread. The baking and pancaking things are predictably successful and will continue as we make larger batches and expand to the oven. So just market it as a LC bake mix with Microwave "options" ish.. sorta.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #724
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
Ouizoid, don't mean to overstate this point, but I don't think you should market it as a "microwave" product. Microwave "baking" is unpredictable for many reasons, most of which have already been covered in this thread. The baking and pancaking things are predictably successful and will continue as we make larger batches and expand to the oven. So just market it as a LC bake mix with Microwave "options" ish.. sorta.
That's a good point. I agree that the "unpredictableness" (is that a real word?) is more due to the variations inherent in microwaves. I couldn't even tell you what wattage mine is. I would like to do more baking in the oven myself.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #725
Senior LCF Member

I agree with Sharon. The only time I've micro'd anything was the first biscuit I made with this mix. Other than that I've baked everything I've made in the oven and it turns out perfectly.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #726
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I agree.I'm doing more with an oven, fry pan, waffle maker , cake donut hole maker, than a microwave.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #727
Blabbermouth!!!

The first thing I made with this was the cinnamon muffin and I had everthing and forgot the egg whites from Netrition. I had read the whole thread and wanted to make this muffin.

So I used egg whites in a carton and it came out great. You can use either and get a great muffin. The next day I bought egg white powder locally.

There are so many good things about this. I was afraid to get everything for it because of past experiences. I'm very glad I did.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #728
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
The first thing I made with this was the cinnamon muffin and I had everthing and forgot the egg whites from Netrition. I had read the whole thread and wanted to make this muffin.

So I used egg whites in a carton and it came out great. You can use either and get a great muffin. The next day I bought egg white powder locally.

There are so many good things about this. I was afraid to get everything for it because of past experiences. I'm very glad I did.
I used some left over egg whites I had the first time I made this and I think they actually did better. It seemed lighter and fluffier than the next one I made with the egg white powder.

I also made one the other night and used some of the egg whites in a carton and it did fine.

Has anyone every used both or a whole egg? Now that I think about it seems someone did try using a whole egg, need to go back and look.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
I used whole eggs in donut holes and biscuits. I finally got some egg white powder and I am going to make a mix with it, but before.. I just used what I had egg whites, eggs.. no problema!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #730
Blabbermouth!!!

I made up 4 pie crust packets, 3 muffin packets , and don't know what else yet for my sister . She can't afford everything I do.

But i'm so excited about this mix , I want her to try it. It doesn't bother our allergy life. I have to make a few more to put in the box.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
My poor daughter caught a bad cold so I made some homemade chicken soup. So I decided to try making my favorite "bisquick" like dumplings. I made a triple batch of mix but left out the egg white powder and cut in 4 tbsp butter and added half and half until a soft dough formed. I dropped in it the simmering liquid and cooked uncovered for 10 minutes, then covered for another 10 minutes. These were the absolute best dumplings I've had since low carbing!! They taste so much like the real thing. They're a bit more fragile than regular dumplings but I think if a little more gluc was added or even use some egg white, but I wanted to keep it as close to the bisquick dumplings as I could.

I will be experimenting some more with this but I'm really happy with these!

Edited to add: I dropped big tablespoons full of the dough into the broth, so these were regular sized dumplings. Big and fluffy just like the bisquick ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-08-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #732
Senior LCF Member

Gina, that looks yummy. I love, love dumplings.

I've used this mix pretty much as a straight up replacement for flour. I find a regular high carb recipe and follow it replacing the flour with the mix and, of course, low carb sweetener sugar and milk substitutes. I add eggs if called for and almond flour depending on the texture I'm going for. Sometimes I may have to adjust liquids or sweeteners but following a regular recipe works very well for me.

It seems that the mix has some combination of ingredients that makes it act more like regular flour than anything else I've used and no weird underlying flavors.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #733
Blabbermouth!!!

Gina that looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Callieco do you feel better?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #734
Senior LCF Member

I do Rosethorns. Thanks for asking. Still not ready to get up and do much. Worst flu I've ever had. Lost 7 lbs though Even if it was a tough way to do it. I'm anxious to get started trying some of these new ideas - especially the donut holes.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Gina, that looks yummy. I love, love dumplings.

I've used this mix pretty much as a straight up replacement for flour. I find a regular high carb recipe and follow it replacing the flour with the mix and, of course, low carb sweetener sugar and milk substitutes. I add eggs if called for and almond flour depending on the texture I'm going for. Sometimes I may have to adjust liquids or sweeteners but following a regular recipe works very well for me.

It seems that the mix has some combination of ingredients that makes it act more like regular flour than anything else I've used and no weird underlying flavors.

This is good to know. One question, is there egg white powder already in your mix and you still add more eggs and are you using a 1:1 substitution?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #736
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Here's some pics of what I've made so far:
Buttermilk Donut Holes:

Cinnamon Bun:

Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Icing:

Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing:

I haven't eaten the chocolate cake yet, it's dessert later tonight, but the crumbs really taste like deviled foods cake! I thought I was using 1/4 cup mix but when I was washing up the dishes I found I'd used 1/3 cup - this mix is very forgiving, I'm liking it more and more. Thanks Quiz!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-08-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
What brand of vanilla protein powder do you use?
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #738
Blabbermouth!!!

WOW Tweaker Geek , Your pics look amazing. I love the looks of your chocolate cake. SOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #739
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Tweaker, those pics made my stomach growl, LOL.

Have you posted the recipes for these? I'd love to know how you made the buttermilk donut holes and what you used for the glaze.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #740
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dixie - I use Body Fortress from Walmart.

Rose - Thank you.

Pam - for the donut holes I used 1/2 cup of the flour mix, 1 cup of buttermilk, 1 tsp. cinnamon and a lot of freshly grated nutmeg (I love the taste of nutmeg in donuts!), 1 Tb. butter, melted, and sweetener to taste, I used EZ Sweetz maybe 5-8 drops I really don't remember on that. Oh and a tsp. of vanilla. I neglected to write down exactly what I did thinking I'd remember but I don't! Old age!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Dixie - I use Body Fortress from Walmart.

Rose - Thank you.

Pam - for the donut holes I used 1/2 cup of the flour mix, 1 cup of buttermilk, 1 tsp. cinnamon and a lot of freshly grated nutmeg (I love the taste of nutmeg in donuts!), 1 Tb. butter, melted, and sweetener to taste, I used EZ Sweetz maybe 5-8 drops I really don't remember on that. Oh and a tsp. of vanilla. I neglected to write down exactly what I did thinking I'd remember but I don't! Old age!

Thanks! I have got to try the donut holes this weekend.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #742
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
My poor daughter caught a bad cold so I made some homemade chicken soup. So I decided to try making my favorite "bisquick" like dumplings. I made a triple batch of mix but left out the egg white powder and cut in 4 tbsp butter and added half and half until a soft dough formed. I dropped in it the simmering liquid and cooked uncovered for 10 minutes, then covered for another 10 minutes. These were the absolute best dumplings I've had since low carbing!! They taste so much like the real thing. They're a bit more fragile than regular dumplings but I think if a little more gluc was added or even use some egg white, but I wanted to keep it as close to the bisquick dumplings as I could.

I will be experimenting some more with this but I'm really happy with these!

Edited to add: I dropped big tablespoons full of the dough into the broth, so these were regular sized dumplings. Big and fluffy just like the bisquick ones.
Gina, was this the original recipe - page 1?
All coconut flour and no almond flour?

Tweaker Geek those are fantastic photos!! Thank you!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is good to know. One question, is there egg white powder already in your mix and you still add more eggs and are you using a 1:1 substitution?
Pam, I use the mix just as written except for the vanilla protein powder. I use Bob's Red Mill which is just plain- no flavor.

So when I make a recipe I just sub for the flour with the same amount of mix. I add whatever else it calls for - eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt, etc. - in the amounts given in the recipe. I, of course, sub the sugar and milk with low carb stuff. It seems to work pretty well every time. Sometimes I'll add almond flour or adjust the liquid or sweetener depending on how it tastes and looks. The only really big flop I had was peanut butter cookies but that was only because of the erythritol and yucky cooling. The texture was perfect for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Wow - Tweaker that cake looks delicious. How do you make the peanut butter frosting? Is there a recipe somewhere?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Gina, was this the original recipe - page 1?
All coconut flour and no almond flour?

Tweaker Geek those are fantastic photos!! Thank you!
Yes, I've only used the original version with coconut flour.

Tweaker they all look so yummy!!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #746
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Pam, I use the mix just as written except for the vanilla protein powder. I use Bob's Red Mill which is just plain- no flavor.

So when I make a recipe I just sub for the flour with the same amount of mix. I add whatever else it calls for - eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt, etc. - in the amounts given in the recipe. I, of course, sub the sugar and milk with low carb stuff. It seems to work pretty well every time. Sometimes I'll add almond flour or adjust the liquid or sweetener depending on how it tastes and looks. The only really big flop I had was peanut butter cookies but that was only because of the erythritol and yucky cooling. The texture was perfect for me.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #747
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I do the same as Callie. I use the flour as a straight sub for flour and use recipes as written. I really want someone else to make cookies, mine were sooooo good.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #748
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Yes, I've only used the original version with coconut flour.

Tweaker they all look so yummy!!!
Thank you Gina - making them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I do the same as Callie. I use the flour as a straight sub for flour and use recipes as written. I really want someone else to make cookies, mine were sooooo good.
I have had them on my LIST of things to make and somehow people keep coming up with things so frequently.... I will make these cookies either tonight or tomorrow!

Am delivering chicken soup to DD & her DH who have the flu, but will surprise them by adding dumplings, and a little cake made also from this mix.

Next: cookies!!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #749
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow - Tweaker that cake looks delicious. How do you make the peanut butter frosting? Is there a recipe somewhere?
I just mixed some butter and peanut butter together in a small bowl, added some powdered erythritol and a splash of vanilla extract.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
and what you used for the glaze.
Pam - I didn't answer in my other post, sorry - I just mixed some powdered erythritol with some cream and vanilla till a good consistency.

Gina, Judy, Callie - Thanks! I'll report back on the taste of the cake, I hope it's as good as it looks!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-08-2013 at 08:08 PM..