Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #631
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Okay, I thought I really wanted a pancake pen to fill the Baby Cakes thingy. Then when I looked up pancake pens, I discovered that they just look like glorified restaurant ketchup bottles with the tip cut off, only they cost $10-13 to be officially considered as "pancake pens". I have several of these squeeze bottles that I bought at my local Sally's beauty supply store or at the Dollar Tree, for $1. I just cut the tip short on one of them and voila! I have a neat little pancake pen! To make a bigger one to accommodate more batter, just poke a big hole in a 1-liter soda bottle cap, using a heated nail or drill bit. That'll cost you nothing but the price of the soda. Now if my Baby Cakes cake pops maker will just arrive, I can stop goofing around with pancake pens and make those donut holes!
I just use a small cookie scoop to fill them. The batter I use for the donuts is pretty thick. It works great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Cheez-it = chex mix.

I am getting closer to chex mix.

Any idea what else I can use for the cereal part of chex mix?

I love chex mix!! I had a hard time keeping out of it at tha family Christmas party. If we could come up with a chex mix that would be awesome!!

There's lots of cereal recipes on here, I bet we could come up with something!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Chex mix!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #633
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Ginaaaaaa, Can you give a couple of details about the donut holes? How thick is your batter compared to say, cookie dough, pancake batter, etc. And if you bake them in a cake pop maker, how long do they bake and at what temperature? If you've already answered these questions in this thread, please just direct me to the appropriate post. Thank you for all of these experiments!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #634
Major LCF Poster!

It's closer to a cookie dough, thick enough so that you can form them or smooth it down. Thats why I use a cookie scoop for these, if it were thinner like a cake mix I would use one of those pancake pens. I think I baked them for about 4-6 minutes turning them halfway through. My cake pop maker has a green light that comes on when its heated and doesn't have a temperature control. I plug the maker in and start filling it with the donut mix right away, then close it after its filled and start timing it. They seem to bake fine this way. It seems like the low carb mixes get browned pretty quickly.
If you try to remove the donut and its still soft or seems like it will fall apart then it needs to bake some more.
HTH!!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Chex mix!!
Are you saying you succeeded?????

JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Personal pan pizza for the Super Bowl

Raw dough in the cast iron pan
Made with the mix, parm cheese, Italian herbs, and some oil
Baked and then put on toppings and finished under broiler

Baked with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and shrooms

sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Beverly, did you add any liquid other than oil?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #638
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Beverly, did you add any liquid other than oil?
Yes I did. I added water until it was a consistency that I could pat into the pan.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

That looks good Beverly!! I'm about to go make some bread to have a tuna sandwich on. This is such a great mix!

So, just made this bread posted by Yaz in the healthified rolls thread and wanted to share my results. It's kind of like a soft wonder bread, very neutral tasting. I made a tuna sandwich and didn't toast it, but I bet it would be good toasted. I only added a dash of salt and mustard powder and a couple drops of Splenda for flavor and left out the gluc. I really like this bread and I will be making this again!!

Here's the original post by Yaz and a pic of my tuna sammy.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16230274
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.4 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-03-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
What protein powder did you use?
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #641
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
That looks good Beverly!! I'm about to go make some bread to have a tuna sandwich on. This is such a great mix!

So, just made this bread posted by Yaz in the healthified rolls thread and wanted to share my results. It's kind of like a soft wonder bread, very neutral tasting. I made a tuna sandwich and didn't toast it, but I bet it would be good toasted. I only added a dash of salt and mustard powder and a couple drops of Splenda for flavor and left out the gluc. I really like this bread and I will be making this again!!

Here's the original post by Yaz and a pic of my tuna sammy.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16230274
Gina,

I'm so glad you like it! I wish I could eat tuna, I used to love it but I had a bad experience a few months ago and can't stomach it anymore.

I have mini loaf pans that work well to make these more like a "real" loaf of bread. I think I baked it at around 300 for 30 minutes? I imagine you could just increase the ingredients and make a full size loaf, but I haven't played around with that yet as I don't eat that much bread and since it's just me I'd rather make it fresh when I need it.

Last edited by Yaz; 02-04-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #642
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
What protein powder did you use?
Sharon, any unflavoured WHEY protein CONCENTRATE will work, but you can make it without using protein, the roll just won't rise as high.

You could also sub milk powder in place of the whey.

Since the roll/bread is very neutral tasting you do not want to use a whey isolate as it will taste NASTY!

I like adding a tbsp of splenda and 1/4 tsp of cardamom and it tastes almost like the Norwegian buns my mom used to make.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Sharon, any unflavoured WHEY protein CONCENTRATE will work, but you can make it without using protein, the roll just won't rise as high.

You could also sub milk powder in place of the whey.

Since the roll/bread is very neutral tasting you do not want to use a whey isolate as it will taste NASTY!

I like adding a tbsp of splenda and 1/4 tsp of cardamom and it tastes almost like the Norwegian buns my mom used to make.
Err? Fortunately, isolates I've used don't have an unpleasant taste. In fact, I just finished slogging down a Southern Biscuit using Ouizoid's mix which included Jay Robb unflavored whey protein isolate. Fresh out of the oven and it was FABulous! Maybe try Jay Robb? Expensive, but..
In any case, I'm going to try your Oatie. Fingers crossed!!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #644
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Err? Fortunately, isolates I've used don't have an unpleasant taste. In fact, I just finished slogging down a Southern Biscuit using Ouizoid's mix which included Jay Robb unflavored whey protein isolate. Fresh out of the oven and it was FABulous! Maybe try Jay Robb? Expensive, but..
The online prices aren't bad at all really. But I would want to buy it locally first so that I can return it if I hate it and I'm in Canada and it's not available anywhere near me.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sharon - I do hope you'll let us know. Jay Robb unflavored whey protein isolate is the only one I have, and I'm not inclined to get a different kind just yet. I also use it in Ouizoid's mix for the 'biscuits' and detect no flavor at all.

I made a decadent breakfast for myself today. I FINALLY made Ouizoid's flour mixture in bulk and just for fun, made myself a little cake with all the spices thrown in.

Used a heaping 1/4 c. of mix, then added a couple of packets of Truvia; I used more cinnamon than the others, but probably 1/8 tsp +/- of ginger, allspice, clove, cinnamon, a little nutmeg. I added a little less than 1/4 cup Hood CC milk and a couple of splashes of vanilla DaVinci; microwaved 1 min. 20 seconds; iced with cream cheese sweetened with vanilla DaVinci. I ate the whole thing with a glass of Hood CC to boot.
SO GOOD.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #646
Senior LCF Member

This is my first effort. I made it exactly per the recipe. First, let me state for the record .. I do not like microwave bread products. That being said, this bread was not particularly fragile for me. I put it in the toaster with no problem. The taste is neutral and the toasted bread is quite sturdy and a little crispy which is what I'm most happy about. The negative for me is, it's a bit dry.

I'm going to try again, using a whole egg and about 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. If it turns out well, I'm going to make a bulk batter, spread it in rimmed baking sheet and bake it. I'll letcha know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oatie.jpg (52.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #647
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is my first effort. I made it exactly per the recipe. First, let me state for the record .. I do not like microwave bread products. That being said, this bread was not particularly fragile for me. I put it in the toaster with no problem. The taste is neutral and the toasted bread is quite sturdy and a little crispy which is what I'm most happy about. The negative for me is, it's a bit dry.

I'm going to try again, using a whole egg and about 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. If it turns out well, I'm going to make a bulk batter, spread it in rimmed baking sheet and bake it. I'll letcha know.
Sharon, I'm glad it turned out for you! Yes it's very neutral tasting, which is why I add spices and/or sweeteners to it.

I did make one with no protein powder and it was not "quite" as dry. I think using a whole egg might make it moister. I wonder if adding a little butter or coconut oil to the recipe might help make it moister?

I find that now that I'm nuking them in the pyrex cup rather than the small little plastic containers I was using before, they are not as fragile as it's one large roll rather than 2 small ones. Oh and the additional egg white helps as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

I made another one today for a shrimp salad sandwich but it came out dry and crumbly. I should have used the glucommanan and maybe more egg white but I love the taste of this bread! I toasted it this time and the taste was a cross between a biscuit/English muffin. I really like this bread and think it will be great for toast and sandwiches and burgers. If I could get a hot dog shape it would be good for hot dogs as well. This is my favorite minute bread so far.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made another one today for a shrimp salad sandwich but it came out dry and crumbly. I should have used the glucommanan and maybe more egg white but I love the taste of this bread! I toasted it this time and the taste was a cross between a biscuit/English muffin. I really like this bread and think it will be great for toast and sandwiches and burgers. If I could get a hot dog shape it would be good for hot dogs as well. This is my favorite minute bread so far.
Ouizoid's?
Or Yaz's?
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #650
Major LCF Poster!

Yaz's, same one I made last night.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
maybe we ought to keep this thread for this recipe just so it doesn't get too confusing--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #652
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
maybe we ought to keep this thread for this recipe just so it doesn't get too confusing--
I agree, my head was starting to spin!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #653
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I made a cherry pie for me tonight. First one in 20 years. It was the best.

I hope you get to market this Ouizoid .
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yaz's recipe is pretty much the same as your mix, minus the coconut flour so I figured I would share it with others that like your mix.

I apologize for any confusion, and will not post anymore about it on this thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is it? I had no idea. Not trying to squelch spin offs of this recipe. I thought it was different
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #656
Blabbermouth!!!

I am trying an experment today. I'm going to try making a crab ragoon. We will see.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I made a cherry pie for me tonight. First one in 20 years. It was the best.

I hope you get to market this Ouizoid .

recipe please? Did you use the pie crust recipe that was posted earlier?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #658
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried making waffles this morning with the mix. It was and wasn't successful. I added a Tbs of MCT oil and enough vanilla davinci's and almond milk to make the batter pourable. It pulled apart when I opened the wafflemaker, so that is the bad news. The good news was that it was absolutely delicious and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. If I can figure out what I need to do to make it hold together, I will try again. Possibly, I need to spray my waffle iron better.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #659
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
recipe please? Did you use the pie crust recipe that was posted earlier?
Yes Diana it's the pie crust.# 293 . I didn't take a pic. I also used the cherries from wally's I think it's sweet leaf.

i used 2 peices of plastic wrap to roll it out , then took the top off and put into my liitle pie pans.When I rolled it out it didn't get puffy when i baked it.

I made it again for my crab ragoon but I'm letting the dough dry first. Then see if I can work this out.

I like the waffle idea too.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-05-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #660
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
I tried making waffles this morning with the mix. It was and wasn't successful. I added a Tbs of MCT oil and enough vanilla davinci's and almond milk to make the batter pourable. It pulled apart when I opened the wafflemaker, so that is the bad news. The good news was that it was absolutely delicious and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. If I can figure out what I need to do to make it hold together, I will try again. Possibly, I need to spray my waffle iron better.
Maybe you got it TOO thin with almond milk, Ouiz. Might have diffused the "flours" too much to bind together? Thicker might be all you need.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote