Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
These are the Southern Biscuits post #345 that I'm making. I made 5 instead of 6 this time .. just because I deserved it Anyway really happy w/ Ouizoid's mix for these. I'm still hoping to get a sandwich type bread out of it, but for now, I'll just plop my tuna salad on to one of these babies!
Sharon, I made those the other day and I agree, they were delicious!

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-26-2013 at 08:57 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,228
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Diana,

I do think the coconut flour makes it very dry. If I'm using any coconut flour in the mix, I do not cook it as long. The only time I had a dry product, was when I overcooked it. You described it well - throat-choking dry. So I now keep a watchful eye. I imagine I use about 1/2 cup liquid in my little cakes - and I admit at least 1 Tbsp. is HWC.

If I'm making a sweet version as you did with the cinnamon roll cake (I often just throw about every spice in the little cake and call it a spice cake - haven't tried the crumb topping yet) I use ALL almond flour and NO coconut flour. And I microwave it just until it's not wet in the middle.

My little cakes are moist and actually need time to dry after being tumped out of their cooking bowl. I nearly always "frost" them with cream cheese mixed with vanilla DaVinci.

I have served these little things to family and friends and they all rave.
__________________
Judy

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-26-2013 at 09:01 AM..
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #483
Senior LCF Member
 
slbbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 322
Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Had a similar experience when I tried to replicate RVcook's success with the sandwich bread she made. The biscuits I make are SO good. Gonna keep trying with the other. I'm thinking the problem was not enough liquid. Will try again tomorrow on the bread and go by "feel". That's what I do with the biscuits to get the consistency that works.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I tried this today. The bread came out "looking" fantastic, but unfortunately it was almost too dry to swallow. I don't have egg white powder, so I used egg whites from a carton and reduced my liquid slightly. Could you comment on the consistency of your dough/batter? I've been using O's mix to make the Southern Biscuit. I make six at a time and bake them. I think they're near awesome, but I have decades of experience making biscuits and I "know" how the dough should feel. Would you say this bread recipe is about the same consistency as the biscuits you're making? Confused yet? LOL.. sorry. TIA
I too have had 'issues' with overbaking so much so that I've had to cut back on the cooking time lately. Sorry that that recipe didn't work for you Sharon...

I really think it is a combination of a LOT of variables, but the one thing I find, especially after looking at Ginaaaaaa's pics, is the wet texture. I notice that people who make this continually talk about things like..."thicker than cake batter"..."like regular biscuit dough"..."not pourable". For those that aren't regular bakers, maybe these terms don't mean much, but are an integral part of the finished product.

My first batch came out like sawdust, but I know I over-nuked it and I added too much liquid as I could literally 'pour' the batter into the dish. Each subsequent batch has gotten a little thicker and I have cut back on the nuke time. It's just frustrating that something that is so fabulous (when it works) turns inedible (when it doesn't)

Ya know...I was thinking...Ginaaaaaa: would you do us a HUGE favor and weigh your dry ingredients when you make this just plain? Also, could you measure out and name the type of liquid you use? Finally, please tell us the diameter and depth of your baking dish as well as the watts of your micro and the amount of time your nuked it. Yeah...I know...I don't want much... I'm thinking that this may help those that are struggling with the recipe get a better handle on what is happening.

FWIW, I've not had one that was wet and mushy but some were SO dry, I probably could have used them as a pumice stone...really!...
__________________
Donna

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #485
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks, Judy, that inspires me to try again--the little cinnamon cake was very tasty, in spite of it all.

Sharon, I did not have success with RVCook's bread recipe either--can't remember what it was, but I felt like I'd done something wrong. If you come out with a good bread, please post. I might try RVCook's version one more time, since this is so easy to do when you have a lot of flour mix already made up.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #486
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks, Donna, for your info, too--our posts must have crossed! I am an experienced baker, so the dough texture makes perfect sense to me. I think I might be microwaving too long. The biscuits I made earlier that came out so well were very wet when I did them for the recommended time so I put them back in and nuked them for a bit longer and they came out very well. So I am probably overdoing the nuking of everything based on that experience. Back to the drawing board (like I don't have anything else to do! LOL)
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,228
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Thanks, Judy, that inspires me to try again--the little cinnamon cake was very tasty, in spite of it all.

Sharon, I did not have success with RVCook's bread recipe either--can't remember what it was, but I felt like I'd done something wrong. If you come out with a good bread, please post. I might try RVCook's version one more time, since this is so easy to do when you have a lot of flour mix already made up.
Hi Diana,
I have used the original recipe to make bread. But I really think the vessel I use is key. It's a 4-1/2" diameter personal casserole. It's a perfect size for 1 little cake or a hamburger bun (really it's a LOT of hamburger bun, but I'm not so great at slicing it in thirds ).

The recipe I use is Ouizoid's original, but my flours are 1Tbsp. almond flour and 1 Tbsp. coconut flour, and I add a little salt.

I dribble Hood CC in until it's a fairly thick batter - again not pourable at all, but it is wet and scoopable. If I used an ice cream scoop it would not hold its shape on a flat surface, but it's not runny like pancake batter - it's more like a muffin batter texture.

In that little casserole I microwave it (I think I have a high-wattage microwave) for 1-1/2 minutes. If I don't tump it out onto a paper towel it will be too wet and soggy. It dries quickly - steam coming off.... and then I can slice it. I can put it in plastic wrap in the fridge for days and it's still fine.

I think overcooking may be the cause of a lot of the dryness in some of these experiments.

I guess it's the oat fiber, but there is a delicious taste of wheat flour I imagine when I'm eating that "bread". It's overall mostly neutral tasting, but there's a hint of uncooked flour like you get in a McDonald's morning biscuit or a KFC biscuit. So good! This is my go-to bread now.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,228
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Thanks, Donna, for your info, too--our posts must have crossed! I am an experienced baker, so the dough texture makes perfect sense to me. I think I might be microwaving too long. The biscuits I made earlier that came out so well were very wet when I did them for the recommended time so I put them back in and nuked them for a bit longer and they came out very well. So I am probably overdoing the nuking of everything based on that experience. Back to the drawing board (like I don't have anything else to do! LOL)
Bread and cakes are important! We all know this!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Thanks, Donna, for your info, too--our posts must have crossed! I am an experienced baker, so the dough texture makes perfect sense to me. I think I might be microwaving too long. The biscuits I made earlier that came out so well were very wet when I did them for the recommended time so I put them back in and nuked them for a bit longer and they came out very well. So I am probably overdoing the nuking of everything based on that experience. Back to the drawing board (like I don't have anything else to do! LOL)
Ahhh yes...life was just so much simpler when I could use regular flour.

While eating and baking LC has obvious health benefits, the older I get, the more I find I miss the simplicity of the "old" days .
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #490
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
So...what variables do y'all think would work to make a sandwich bread out of this flour? I'm not sure where to start--more egg? cream? cheese? oat flour? What would some of you experienced bakers try first?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #491
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,606
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
These are the Southern Biscuits post #345 that I'm making. I made 5 instead of 6 this time .. just because I deserved it Anyway really happy w/ Ouizoid's mix for these. I'm still hoping to get a sandwich type bread out of it, but for now, I'll just plop my tuna salad on to one of these babies!
They look beautiful Sharon.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #492
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
RVCook, I was reading over post #263 and trying to decide how to make your bread. From what I can see, it is 1/3 cup of the original flour mix made with all almond flour, 1/3 cup Carolyn's milk, and 1 tbs Parmesan cheese (grated from a block, or from the green can?). Could you check these amounts and tell me if I am on track?

I made it once before in a 4 1/2" square Corningware personal ceramic baking dish. It was a little wet and steamy when it came out, but it dried just fine. Can't remember what was wrong with what I did, but it did not seem to come out right for some reason.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #493
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
RVCook, I was reading over post #263 and trying to decide how to make your bread. From what I can see, it is 1/3 cup of the original flour mix made with all almond flour, 1/3 cup Carolyn's milk, and 1 tbs Parmesan cheese (grated from a block, or from the green can?). Could you check these amounts and tell me if I am on track?

I made it once before in a 4 1/2" square Corningware personal ceramic baking dish. It was a little wet and steamy when it came out, but it dried just fine. Can't remember what was wrong with what I did, but it did not seem to come out right for some reason.
Sure. Here is the basic mix:

2 TB oat fiber (I get mine from Netrition)
2 TB almond flour (I get mine from HoneyV)
1 TB parmesan cheese (green can)
1 TB unflavored whey protein isolate (Biochem)
1 TB egg white powder (DebEl)
1/2 tsp baking powder (Rumford)
1/2 tsp glucomannan (Now from Netrition)
Pinch of salt (optional)
Pinch of garlic and/or onion powder (optional)

I scoop approx. 1/4 cup into a a personal sized corning dish (1 3/4 cup size, approx 4 1/2" diameter on bottom). To that I add approx 1/4 cup milk. Stir until well mixed and smooth. The consistency is like thick cake batter, but NOT dry at all.

Nuke 1:20 secs in 1000 watt micro. NOTE: Originally, I was nuking at 1:30, but then I noticed it was getting drier, so I reduced the time. Now, I am at 1:20, but even that may be too long. Maybe it is all about weight...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Sure. Here is the basic mix:

2 TB oat fiber (I get mine from Netrition)
2 TB almond flour (I get mine from HoneyV)
1 TB parmesan cheese (green can)
1 TB unflavored whey protein isolate (Biochem)
1 TB egg white powder (DebEl)
1/2 tsp baking powder (Rumford)
1/2 tsp glucomannan (Now from Netrition)
Pinch of salt (optional)
Pinch of garlic and/or onion powder (optional)

I scoop approx. 1/4 cup into a a personal sized corning dish (1 3/4 cup size, approx 4 1/2" diameter on bottom). To that I add approx 1/4 cup milk. Stir until well mixed and smooth. The consistency is like thick cake batter, but NOT dry at all.

Nuke 1:20 secs in 1000 watt micro. NOTE: Originally, I was nuking at 1:30, but then I noticed it was getting drier, so I reduced the time. Now, I am at 1:20, but even that may be too long. Maybe it is all about weight...
thank you! I made my mix with 1 tbs coconut flour and 1 tbs almond flour, so that could have been why my "bread" didn't work like yours. I also put grated block cheese in instead of green can. Am going to try this exactly your way now. Again, thanks!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post


I made the cinnamon roll cake and the flavor is excellent, but the cake was throat-choking dry. I did not put enough butter in the part I saved out and put on top, so the topping basically tasted like flour and cinnamon and sweetener. I tried to fix by drizzling a tablespoon of melted butter over it and broiling it, and it was better, but still needed something. I used the recipe with a tiny bit of coconut flour subbed out for a little of the almond flour--could that be what made it so dry? Do you think I overcooked it or didn't add enough liquid?
You need to cut in enough butter so that its all mixed in otherwise the topping will be dry and powdery. Cut the butter in as you would for an apple crumble. If the cake part is too dry you either cooked it too long or didn't add enough liquid. I find that as long as all the mix is moistened and I don't overcook it, it comes out moist. I notice if I only moisten the mix it takes less time. If you put too much liquid in the mix then just cook it longer. Just remember, less liquid shorter cook time, more liquid longer cook time.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #496
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
thank you! I made my mix with 1 tbs coconut flour and 1 tbs almond flour, so that could have been why my "bread" didn't work like yours. I also put grated block cheese in instead of green can. Am going to try this exactly your way now. Again, thanks!
Well that could have been it, but I use the almond flour for 'savory' bread applications because there is just something 'wrong' with a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo on bread that tastes like coconut.... So it is mainly for the taste, but I think it also affects the texture of the finished bread as well. Also...adding more fat by way of the liquid helps the moistness. But as a rule, I don't use eggs or add any oil to the basic recipe. It certainly may be something to consider if the dryness becomes a regular thing.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #497
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,971
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSoccer View Post

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

Preheat oven to 425ºF. (I baked in toaster oven, because I didn't want to heat the whole oven for 2 biscuits.)

2 Tbs Oatfiber
1 Tbs coconut flour
1 Tbs almond flour
(I omitted whey protein powder)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (I used one capsule, about 1/3 tsp. actually)

Mix all ingredients together and place bowl in refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes. You want all ingredients COLD.

1 Tbs cold unsalted butter
3 Tbs buttermilk

Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. Add buttermilk and stir until a shaggy dough forms (you may need to add more or less buttermilk, depending upon how absorbent your coconut flour is). Pat (or roll) out two biscuit shapes, about ¾ inch high and 2-3 inches in diameter. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Makes 2 biscuits.

While these didn’t rise as much as a wheat-flour based biscuit (I’m sure that’s the gluten), the texture was spot on – mouthfeel was like a real biscuit.

Thanks, Ouzoid, for the original recipe. I’m going to try a scone recipe soon with this mix.
What about using all almond flour instead of the 1T coconut flour, omitting the butter , subbing an egg white for the powdered egg white and adding enough buttermilk to get the consistency right? Maybe a little chia gel too......

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 01-26-2013 at 11:22 AM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #498
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
I too have had 'issues' with overbaking so much so that I've had to cut back on the cooking time lately. Sorry that that recipe didn't work for you Sharon...

I really think it is a combination of a LOT of variables, but the one thing I find, especially after looking at Ginaaaaaa's pics, is the wet texture. I notice that people who make this continually talk about things like..."thicker than cake batter"..."like regular biscuit dough"..."not pourable". For those that aren't regular bakers, maybe these terms don't mean much, but are an integral part of the finished product.

My first batch came out like sawdust, but I know I over-nuked it and I added too much liquid as I could literally 'pour' the batter into the dish. Each subsequent batch has gotten a little thicker and I have cut back on the nuke time. It's just frustrating that something that is so fabulous (when it works) turns inedible (when it doesn't)

Ya know...I was thinking...Ginaaaaaa: would you do us a HUGE favor and weigh your dry ingredients when you make this just plain? Also, could you measure out and name the type of liquid you use? Finally, please tell us the diameter and depth of your baking dish as well as the watts of your micro and the amount of time your nuked it. Yeah...I know...I don't want much... I'm thinking that this may help those that are struggling with the recipe get a better handle on what is happening.

FWIW, I've not had one that was wet and mushy but some were SO dry, I probably could have used them as a pumice stone...really!...

I would weigh the dry mix for you all but I don't have a scale. I always just eyeball things, never felt the need to weigh.

When I make my cakes I just use 1/4 cup scoop, and depending on how big I want my cake, I scoop up that amount in the cup, for the liquid I use either da Vinci syrup, water, milk or cream. I never measure the liquid because it depends on how much mix I use. I pour the liquid in slowly, mix it in and if the mix is still dry I add a little more and mix until its all moistened and there is no more dry mix. If I just add enough liquid to moisten the dry mix I cook it for maybe 30-40 seconds, I try to take it out as soon as the top is dry, any longer and the cake will be dry. If I add too much liquid and the batter is mushy, I end up cooking it for at least 60-65 seconds. My microwave is 800 watts, and I use a 6 oz round ramekin.

Sorry I can't help more with the measurements, I do use the coconut flour in my mix.

Next time I make a cake I will try and measure out the mix and liquid exactly, and post here.
Here's what the inside of my cinnamon crumble cake looked like this morning. It was just a tad dryer than I would have liked. As I was eating it, it seemed to be less dry, but like I said it could have been a little more moist.

I don't think low carb baking is that much different then high carb baking. I remember always worrying my cakes or brownies were going to overcook and be too dry. I usually would end up taking them out earlier rather than later because I hated it when something was overcooked. LOL

It just takes practice and as you can see, mine sometimes comes out too dry too. I find that if I'm not right there watching it as it cooks it tends to overcook, because of the short cook time in the microwave.

I hope this helps and I'm not making it too complicated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-26-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,203
Gallery: dianafoot
Well I wasn't going to let that great-tasting, but sawdust-dry cinnamon cake defeat me. I whipped up an egg, mixed in 1 cup of milk and a little sweetener, cooked it on the stovetop for a couple of minutes until it started to thicken up, then chunked in the rest of the cake, broken into hunks about 3/4"x3/4". Let all that sit on the counter for a few minutes, then yum, a bit of "bread pudding", you know, the kind made with cake.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #500
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I would weigh the dry mix for you all but I don't have a scale. I always just eyeball things, never felt the need to weigh.

When I make my cakes I just use 1/4 cup scoop, and depending on how big I want my cake, I scoop up that amount in the cup, for the liquid I use either da Vinci syrup, water, milk or cream. I never measure the liquid because it depends on how much mix I use. I pour the liquid in slowly, mix it in and if the mix is still dry I add a little more and mix until its all moistened and there is no more dry mix. If I just add enough liquid to moisten the dry mix I cook it for maybe 30-40 seconds, I try to take it out as soon as the top is dry, any longer and the cake will be dry. If I add too much liquid and the batter is mushy, I end up cooking it for at least 60-65 seconds. My microwave is 800 watts, and I use a 6 oz round ramekin.

Sorry I can't help more with the measurements, I do use the coconut flour in my mix.

Next time I make a cake I will try and measure out the mix and liquid exactly, and post here.
Here's what the inside of my cinnamon crumble cake looked like this morning. It was just a tad dryer than I would have liked. As I was eating it, it seemed to be less dry, but like I said it could have been a little more moist.

I don't think low carb baking is that much different then high carb baking. I remember always worrying my cakes or brownies were going to overcook and be too dry. I usually would end up taking them out earlier rather than later because I hated it when something was overcooked. LOL

It just takes practice and as you can see, mine sometimes comes out too dry too. I find that if I'm not right there watching it as it cooks it tends to overcook, because of the short cook time in the microwave.

I hope this helps and I'm not making it too complicated!!
Oh that's OK Gina...no biggie. And thank you for adding in the extra info so that we can understand how things differ for you. I really do think your micro wattage has a huge impact on the finished product because it's interesting to me that you only cook yours 30-40 secs in an 800 watt oven and I'm cooking mine 1:20 secs in a 1000 watt oven...that's a HUGE difference.

I think I'm going to have to experiment more. Thank you for the info!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #501
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Oh that's OK Gina...no biggie. And thank you for adding in the extra info so that we can understand how things differ for you. I really do think your micro wattage has a huge impact on the finished product because it's interesting to me that you only cook yours 30-40 secs in an 800 watt oven and I'm cooking mine 1:20 secs in a 1000 watt oven...that's a HUGE difference.

I think I'm going to have to experiment more. Thank you for the info!
Exactly! All those things make a difference. The size of the container, amount of the mix, how much liquid is added and microwave all of these things will make a huge difference. Like I said, with the microwave time it depends on the size of the container that's used and how much liquid is added because the less liquid I use the less amount of time it takes. I always use my 6 oz ramekins, that's the only for sure thing I can tell you.

I will measure exact amounts for the mix and liquids tomorrow. I can't do it by weight but I can give the cup measurements. I will even measure my ramekins if I can find the tape measure lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #502
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Exactly! All those things make a difference. The size of the container, amount of the mix, how much liquid is added and microwave all of these things will make a huge difference. Like I said, with the microwave time it depends on the size of the container that's used and how much liquid is added because the less liquid I use the less amount of time it takes. I always use my 6 oz ramekins, that's the only for sure thing I can tell you.

I will measure exact amounts for the mix and liquids tomorrow. I can't do it by weight but I can give the cup measurements. I will even measure my ramekins if I can find the tape measure lol
Cool! I have 6 oz. ramekins...I think...so I'll make that change as well. So many variations...so little time...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,396
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
see, this is why i probably won't manufacture this stuff (though I got a lead on someone who would do it for me). It seems like there are too many variables that can lead to a bad outcome, even though the basic mix is pretty sound. Seems like it is inherently fragile and requires a lot of TLC--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #504
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Cool! I have 6 oz. ramekins...I think...so I'll make that change as well. So many variations...so little time...
I know, I love the cinnamon crumble cakes but I'm kind of getting sick of having the same one, but its so good! I need to think up something different lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In A Clown Car!
Posts: 2,351
Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
see, this is why i probably won't manufacture this stuff (though I got a lead on someone who would do it for me). It seems like there are too many variables that can lead to a bad outcome, even though the basic mix is pretty sound. Seems like it is inherently fragile and requires a lot of TLC--
Oh c'mon now!...once the tweaks are in place, things could could go really smoothly...we just need to put our heads together and figure it out is all. Don't give up on the idea just yet. These things take time and actually...if you think about it...all this experimenting is like having a huge R&D staff at your disposal and the best part?...they're all working for F-R-E-E!!!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,396
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Oh c'mon now!...once the tweaks are in place, things could could go really smoothly...we just need to put our heads together and figure it out is all. Don't give up on the idea just yet. These things take time and actually...if you think about it...all this experimenting is like having a huge R&D staff at your disposal and the best part?...they're all working for F-R-E-E!!!
no, TOTALLY! I already think of you as the Master R&D Department--

I'm just concerned that so many folks have a hard time getting a consistently good crumb--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
see, this is why i probably won't manufacture this stuff (though I got a lead on someone who would do it for me). It seems like there are too many variables that can lead to a bad outcome, even though the basic mix is pretty sound. Seems like it is inherently fragile and requires a lot of TLC--
I don't think it's any different than any other flour mix. I think most of the problems arise from cooking these in the microwave. Also usually when we have a recipe for cakes it calls for a certain size pan, and they're baked in an oven. also with a recipe all the measurements are tried and true.

With everyone using different size containers and some using almond flour or coconut flour, the different amounts of liquids and then factor in the different watt microwaves, its no wonder we're all getting different results.

I wouldn't blame any if this on your mix though! I hope you're able to market it, it's a winner in my book, and I think a lot of others feel the same.



I was actually going to try baking some in my muffin tin tonight, so I could measure everything out but I've come to like just making one in the morning for portion control, also its so easy because I have the mix all made up and even have the crumb topping all made up in the fridge, so all I do is add the liquid in the morning and pop it in the microwave.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-26-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,396
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I made a deeelicious coconut cake today--stirred 3 TBS of unsweetened coconut into the flour, added coconut davincis and almond milk as liquid--scrumptous! Probably would have been even better with some coconut frosting!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I made a deeelicious coconut cake today--stirred 3 TBS of unsweetened coconut into the flour, added coconut davincis and almond milk as liquid--scrumptous! Probably would have been even better with some coconut frosting!
Now that sounds yummy!! I have some unsweetened coconut and coconut flavoring and I also have some white frosting mix I could make a coconut frosting for it!!

I'm thinking this would be good as a cake baked in the oven!! See, this mix is wonderful!!

Wow, I just went to netrition to check out the syrups and all the syrups in glass containers have been temporarily put on hold due to the cold weather!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-26-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,396
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
[QUOTE=Ginaaaaaa;16221488

Wow, I just went to netrition to check out the syrups and all the syrups in glass containers have been temporarily put on hold due to the cold weather!![/QUOTE]

Do you have a World Market?? I often buy sf syrups there.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.