Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Here's a pic of my cinnamon roll cake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.0 KB, 54 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Cream of wheat. Mine is cake-like. How long do you micro it? I was getting results like yours until I increased my cooking time. I have to go over 3 minutes. Seems to me like you need to increase the cooking time. The size of the baking vessel makes a difference too. When I did it in a custard cup, it was kind of wet. When I did it in my 3" pyrex bowl, it wasn't.

Your baking powder is fresh I assume?
Lol, yes kind of just mushes in my mouth and reminds me of cream of wheat.

Yes, just bought it yesterday in fact. So I know it's not the BP. Maybe my PP? I'm using MRM vanilla PP.

I 'll also try increasing the cooking time. I think I'm doing a little over 2 minutes the top is dry to the touch but bottom is always still slightly wet.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Mine looks more cakey, not dense more of a light fluffy texture. Make sure you add enough liquid, you want the consistency of a muffin batter or a thick cake batter. As soon as the top is dry, you want to take it out. Let it cool on a cooling rack or on a plate for a few minutes to. Then I either frost or eat it plain. If its coming put like cream of wheat it hasn't cooked long enough. If its nut light and fluffy it may have been overcooked.

Here's a pic from one of my earlier cakes.
Yours look really fluffy especially the one on the right. Are you using the original recipe or do you tweak it? Also are you getting all of your sweetness from the davincis? The tbsp of erythritol does very little to sweeten it.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Yours look really fluffy especially the one on the right. Are you using the original recipe or do you tweak it? Also are you getting all of your sweetness from the davincis? The tbsp of erythritol does very little to sweeten it.
I've been using the original recipe and I usually use da Vinci for the liquid. I use about 1/4 cup of the mix and cook it in a 6 oz round ramekin. After its cooked I immediately remove it from the ramekin and let it cool for a few mintutes.

It took a few times to figure out how much liquid to use and the best time for my microwave.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
[quote=elainesmith;16205170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I'm wondering if for a saltine you should use baking soda instead of or in addition to baking powder. Didn't saltines use to be called soda crackers?

I just remembered KevinPa's recipe for saltines. I loved his recipes but don't like to use a lot of the ingredients that he did but maybe this would be a good guide.

Saltine 3rd and last Round
(not sure I could get texture and taste much better than this)

7 T. carbalose
7 T. carbquik
2 T. resistant wheat starch 75
1 1/2 t. polyD
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 T. shortening
4 or 5 T. half/half

I followed the original directions again and cooked on a cooling rack(I wil be buying a mesh one real soon) on top of cookie sheet.

I found the cracker I'll be sticking with.
Light flakey and well it tastes like a saltine......

I also found this comment made by drjlocarb:

I have found that using eggs in cracker making leads to a "squeeky" cracker. This recipe with water instead of the egg or egg white changes the texture. AND it must be golden flax meal.[/QUOTE]

What was the golden flax in? I dont see it used in this recipe...were you just talking about cracker recipes in general should be made with the golden flax meal?

Yes, that comment was about some crackers people were trying that included flax, totally different recipe. Sorry about the confusion but after looking at some high-carb saltine recipes on some other websites I saw that eggs or egg whites weren't used and then I found that comment on here.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #456
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Breakfast!!!!! I could eat this every single day. It is the "cinnabon" I wrote about in post 40.

SUBBING!!!!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
SUBBING!!!!!

I know, right??? It's so good!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
ginaaaaaa, what is a "cinnamon roll k-cup"?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #459
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm not Gina but it's coffee for a Keirig coffee maker Diana.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Esther!! I love my Keurig, my DD bought me one for Christmas, it was the best gift ever!!

I made another cinnamon crumb cake and cut it open to show how cakey it is. My batter is like a thick muffin batter. I tried to drizzle on some icing made with powdered xylitol and cream but it just melted into the muffin because it was still warm. It reminds me so much of those cinnamon crumb cakes by hostess I use to eat when I was younger.

Actually I think it might have been Drakes not Hostess lol either way its good!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.6 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-22-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Thanks Esther!! I love my Keurig, my DD bought me one for Christmas, it was the best gift ever!!

I made another cinnamon crumb cake and cut it open to show how cakey it is. My batter is like a thick muffin batter. I tried to drizzle on some icing made with powdered xylitol and cream but it just melted into the muffin because it was still warm. It reminds me so much of those cinnamon crumb cakes by hostess I use to eat when I was younger.

Actually I think it might have been Drakes not Hostess lol either way its good!!
I loved those cakes. i am going to try your version. The photo shows a perfect crumb!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you like it, it's my favorite one to have with my morning coffee.

I just add cinnamon to the mix and a little bit of sweetener, usually xylitol or erythritol, then I remove enough of the mix for the topping and to the mix I add da Vinci syrup or whatever liquid you like, and to the topping I add in some brown sugar sub or just use whatever sweetener you like, maybe a little more cinnamon and then cut in some butter. Sprinkle it on top of the batter and microwave. I don't measure anything, just eyeball it and see how it looks. It's really personal preference on how much sweetener and cinnamon you like.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #463
Major LCF Poster!

Chocolate cake with coconut flavoring and icing. This came out really cakey and yummy. I took a big bite before taking the pic lol

I could only eat half!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Wow that looks great Gina. I wish I could get mine to come out like that. I'm having the same problem as Divabunny - my cakes are wet, heavy, and mushy. My "bread" came out good but every sweet thing I've tried is not good at all. Wish I could figure out what is wrong!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
we really should solve this problem--I have not had one thing come out heavy and wet--mine are cakey with a wonderful crumb.

I am wondering if it is a microwave problem or a liquid/flour thing or some combination of the two--

how much liquid are you using and how long are you microwaving?? Are you using my original recipe??
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

My guess is either too much liquid or not cooking it long enough, or a combination of both. I had one come out mushy and I thought I had added too much liquid and didn't cook it long enough. I've also had one come out too dry and I thought it was because I didn't add enough liquid and I cooked it too long.

My batter is usually a thick muffin batter. It's not pourable, its scoop-able and it will stick to the mixing spoon. I cook mine in a 6 oz ramekin and use about a heaping 1/4 cup of the flour mix. I add the liquid and mix until all the flour is moistened. I have an 800 watt microwave and I cook mine for about a minute.

Hope this helps!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
My guess is either too much liquid or not cooking it long enough, or a combination of both. I had one come out mushy and I thought I had added too much liquid and didn't cook it long enough. I've also had one come out too dry and I thought it was because I didn't add enough liquid and I cooked it too long.

My batter is usually a thick muffin batter. It's not pourable, its scoop-able and it will stick to the mixing spoon. I cook mine in a 6 oz ramekin and use about a heaping 1/4 cup of the flour mix. I add the liquid and mix until all the flour is moistened. I have an 800 watt microwave and I cook mine for about a minute.

Hope this helps!!
I've never had either the cakes or biscuits turn out wet or spongey - always perfect texture. EXCEPT one time when I cooked the biscuits too long for the size of container and they were dry (still quite edible, though).

My batter is usually a thick muffin batter also. Not pourable.

I cook mine in a 4-1/2" diameter personal casserole for 1-1/2 minutes. I'm not positive of the watts of my microwave but it's fairly new and souped-up, so whatever is the highest wattage. I just cook it until it's not wet in the center.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
OMG, Gina!! That cinnamon crumb cake looks just like those Drake's cakes that we remember, you did a great job and I will definitely be making these! Thanks.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
OMG, Gina!! That cinnamon crumb cake looks just like those Drake's cakes that we remember, you did a great job and I will definitely be making these! Thanks.
Thanks!! The crumb topping with the butter and cinnamon is so good! It's my favorite cake so far. It's amazing how we can recreate our old high carb treats. It makes low carbing so much easier.

I have found that I can't eat grains anymore so this flour mix, the almond bread and marias rolls and pizza dough have really helped in the bread and cake department.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I use the exact original recipe and a 3 inch custard cup to microwave in. Maybe my batter has been too thin? I usually add Davinci/cream until the flour is all moistened and microwave 2 minutes. Maybe my protein powder is different or my microwave? Lots of variables here. Such a simple recipe and somehow I'm messing it up! Hmmm. I'll give it another try with a different dish.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

I made another cinnamon crumb cake and I wanted to try and show how it looks when putting it together.

I hope this helps some of you that are having a hard time with this mix. As you can see, after I add the liquid and mix it the batter is thick and can be smoothed down with a spoon. I then microwave just until the top is dry, you don't want to undercook it or it will be mushy and you don't want to overlook it or it will be dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1.jpg (33.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg photo_3.jpg (29.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo_4.jpg (25.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-24-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the pictures. Is the cinnamon in layers in the cake? It looks like it might be swirled in. I am going to try this tomorrow morning!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #473
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
thanks for the pictures. Is the cinnamon in layers in the cake? It looks like it might be swirled in. I am going to try this tomorrow morning!
No, I just add cinnamon to the cake. I think what looks like cinnamon swirled in is where I cut through the cake.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
If you go back a couple of posts, Vilya did it without the whey protein and said it turned out fine. So why not just try it without having to buy it right away?

I can't handle the coconut flavor in a savory bread, so I'm sticking with the almond flour version. When I make it this way, it really does taste like a biscuit to me. Here is my version:

2 TBS oat fiber
2 TBS almond flour
1 TBS parmesan cheese
1 TBS egg white powder
1 TBS unflavored whey protein isolate (Biochem brand)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. gluc.
pinch salt
approx 1/2 cup low carb milk

For a serving, I would use 1/2 of this recipe mixed well in a 4" square micro dish. Nuke 1 min 30 secs in 1000 watt micro. Flip out of dish, slice into two thin slices or diagonally for two thick slices. Makes one perfect serving of 2 slices of 'bread'. OR nuke in custard cup for more of a biscuit shape. Spread with butter.
I tried this today. The bread came out "looking" fantastic, but unfortunately it was almost too dry to swallow. I don't have egg white powder, so I used egg whites from a carton and reduced my liquid slightly. Could you comment on the consistency of your dough/batter? I've been using O's mix to make the Southern Biscuit. I make six at a time and bake them. I think they're near awesome, but I have decades of experience making biscuits and I "know" how the dough should feel. Would you say this bread recipe is about the same consistency as the biscuits you're making? Confused yet? LOL.. sorry. TIA
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #475
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I tried this today. The bread came out "looking" fantastic, but unfortunately it was almost too dry to swallow. I don't have egg white powder, so I used egg whites from a carton and reduced my liquid slightly. Could you comment on the consistency of your dough/batter? I've been using O's mix to make the Southern Biscuit. I make six at a time and bake them. I think they're near awesome, but I have decades of experience making biscuits and I "know" how the dough should feel. Would you say this bread recipe is about the same consistency as the biscuits you're making? Confused yet? LOL.. sorry. TIA
Is there a Southern Biscuit recipe you are referring to?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #476
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Is there a Southern Biscuit recipe you are referring to?
This one Cindy.....I think.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Or Cindy this one here on this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16190075 Post #345.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #478
Blabbermouth!!!

The first thing I made is the cinnamon muffin. I put 1/2 batter then a layer of cinnamon and then the rest of the batter cinamon on top.

click to enlarge
gluc cinna mmuffin 001.jpg

I cut in 1/2 and only ate half.
click to enlarge
gluc cinna mmuffin 002.jpg

I want the biscuit and cinnamon crumble muffin next. They are amazing looking.

So good. I followed the op recipe.

Sorry. Judy's right #345.

Last edited by rosethorns; 01-25-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
These are the Southern Biscuits post #345 that I'm making. I made 5 instead of 6 this time .. just because I deserved it Anyway really happy w/ Ouizoid's mix for these. I'm still hoping to get a sandwich type bread out of it, but for now, I'll just plop my tuna salad on to one of these babies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biscuits3.jpg (66.2 KB, 45 views)
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

I made the cinnamon roll cake and the flavor is excellent, but the cake was throat-choking dry. I did not put enough butter in the part I saved out and put on top, so the topping basically tasted like flour and cinnamon and sweetener. I tried to fix by drizzling a tablespoon of melted butter over it and broiling it, and it was better, but still needed something. I used the recipe with a tiny bit of coconut flour subbed out for a little of the almond flour--could that be what made it so dry? Do you think I overcooked it or didn't add enough liquid?

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-26-2013 at 08:54 AM..