Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Cinnamon crumb cake. It tastes a lot like those little packaged cakes we use to buy!!

I just added cinnamon to 1/4 cup of the mix, added sweetener then took out a little bit of the mix and cut in some butter to use for the top. Then I mixed some Da Vinci simple syrup into the cake part until it was the consistency of a muffin batter and sprinkled the topping on and microwaved it in my 6 oz ramekin.

It went really well with my cinnamon roll K-Cup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.5 KB, 63 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Cinnamon crumb cake. It tastes a lot like those little packaged cakes we use to buy!!

I just added cinnamon to 1/4 cup of the mix, added sweetener then took out a little bit of the mix and cut in some butter to use for the top. Then I mixed some Da Vinci simple syrup into the cake part until it was the consistency of a muffin batter and sprinkled the topping on and microwaved it in my 6 oz ramekin.

It went really well with my cinnamon roll K-Cup!
Oh my goodness that looks fantastic
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #423
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OH Gina that is beautiful!!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Just catching up with everyone's experiments and hoping to get back to doing some of my own soon. I lost my dad on Jan 9 so everything in my life is a mess right now.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #425
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Just catching up with everyone's experiments and hoping to get back to doing some of my own soon. I lost my dad on Jan 9 so everything in my life is a mess right now.
Oh Pam - I'm so sorry.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #426
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Pam, very sorry to hear of your sad, sad loss.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Pam--my condolences--I am so so sorry for your loss-
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Pam, I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences and prayers for you and your family.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #429
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, Pam, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. My heart goes out ot you, having been there and experienced "the mess" you are dealing with. Hang in there, my friend. It will all work itself out. Just take one thing at a time. Cyber hugs to you at this very difficult time.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
I peruse this forum everyday. I copy/paste recipes into a text file and store them in My LC folder categorized, of course. The last time I had a significant number of recipes "titled" with someone's name was dear KevinPa. Now, I have someone else in double digits.. guess who? It's a little different since the contributions come from many, but I want to make sure I can distinguish them as originating from "Ouizoid's Mix". Bravo!!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #431
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Pam, big hugs to you as you deal with the loss of your Dad and all that goes along with it.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the hugs everybody, it means a lot.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I did make a biscuit with RCS260.

I had the mix made up already with almond flour and coconut flour and no E.

1/4 c. mix
1 t. RCS
cream and water mixed 50/50

I added enough liquid to make it drop biscuit consistency.
Micro 1 min 20 sec.

I cut it in half and it did toast fine. I never toasted the other biscuits so I don't know if they did or not.

BUT... I put cut the other 1/2 into pieces and put them in a 350 oven to see if they would be croutons. Well, after 6 min in the oven I saw one of the horses stuck in the fence. I shut the oven off and ran out to help the horse free himself and fix the fence.
When I got back in the house, the little pieces were dryed but not toasted, BUT..they had the texture and tasted much like saltines, without the salt. Not quite as crisp, but saltine-y.

I'm wondering if for a saltine you should use baking soda instead of or in addition to baking powder. Didn't saltines use to be called soda crackers?

I just remembered KevinPa's recipe for saltines. I loved his recipes but don't like to use a lot of the ingredients that he did but maybe this would be a good guide.

Saltine 3rd and last Round
(not sure I could get texture and taste much better than this)

7 T. carbalose
7 T. carbquik
2 T. resistant wheat starch 75
1 1/2 t. polyD
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 T. shortening
4 or 5 T. half/half

I followed the original directions again and cooked on a cooling rack(I wil be buying a mesh one real soon) on top of cookie sheet.

I found the cracker I'll be sticking with.
Light flakey and well it tastes like a saltine......

I also found this comment made by drjlocarb:

I have found that using eggs in cracker making leads to a "squeeky" cracker. This recipe with water instead of the egg or egg white changes the texture. AND it must be golden flax meal.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-17-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Nope...was just there...Out of Stock. I checked them when you first put up this thread and it was Out of Stock then. Not sure when they'll get it in, but hard to believe that the only other option is 50 lbs...sheesh!!!

As of today/tonight, they have the 4 lb bag of oat fiber. ALSO, 15% off started Wednesday for 6 days (through Tue, 1/22). Coupon Code, Resolve.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #435
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Pam I'm so sorry to here about your DAD.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
I'm wondering if for a saltine you should use baking soda instead of or in addition to baking powder. Didn't saltines use to be called soda crackers?

I just remembered KevinPa's recipe for saltines. I loved his recipes but don't like to use a lot of the ingredients that he did but maybe this would be a good guide.

7 T. carbalose
7 T. carbquik
1 1/2 t. polyD
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 T. shortening
4 or 5 T. half/half

I followed the original directions again and cooked on a cooling rack(I wil be buying a mesh one real soon) on top of cookie sheet.

I have found that using eggs in cracker making leads to a "squeeky" cracker. This recipe with water instead of the egg or egg white changes the texture. AND it must be golden flax meal.
Those ARE just like real saltines.

I was thinking about baking soda and the egg white thing when I was making the "cracker" with the mix in the oven. My next try was to make a flat biscuit in the microwave with added baking soda and than drying in the oven, just no time yet.

Now, seeing Kevin's recipe again, I may add some shortening or lard too.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot

I got a rare chance to actually make breakfast this morning--we had 1/4" of snow here and they called school off for the day -- lol (we teachers love snow days as much as the kids do)

I made the biscuit with 1/4 of the original flour mix and about a tablespoon of half and half, then drizzled in water to make a soft dough. Put it in a flat-bottomed soup bowl (4" diameter), Microwaved on high for 1 minute, 45 seconds, and voila! a nice, light, fluffy biscuit. I cut it crosswise into four pieces and toasted the bottom and top pieces, smeared with a little butter, in the toaster oven. Saved the middle two slices for a lunchtime sandwich. This was truly amazing!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I made the bisquit with buttermilk and butter, and the second time I added a pinch of baking powder for the buttermilk. Better.

HTH!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I made the bisquit with buttermilk and butter, and the second time I added a pinch of baking powder for the buttermilk. Better.

HTH!
I did that same thing the last time I made it a few days ago (butter, buttermilk), except that I added baking soda to react with the buttermilk instead of baking powder, as the mix already has baking powder in it. For some reason, the biscuits came out too soggy and I couldn't get them done. Wonder what I did wrong? Maybe made them too wet? What was your dough like?

Maybe I'll try it this way again.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Ha ha, I think hockey season finally starting up must have been my inspiration to turn this wonderful recipe into a big flat hockey puck! I forgot to put in the baking powder...just sayin', don't do that lol. Made another one WITH baking powder, and it's fabulous. Thank you once again, Ouizoid!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I did that same thing the last time I made it a few days ago (butter, buttermilk), except that I added baking soda to react with the buttermilk instead of baking powder, as the mix already has baking powder in it. For some reason, the biscuits came out too soggy and I couldn't get them done. Wonder what I did wrong? Maybe made them too wet? What was your dough like?

Maybe I'll try it this way again.
Thick and sticky. I was not measuring, but pouring, LOL. I also added garlic powder and a smidgen of grated cheese.

HTH
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Y'all are experimentin' fools!!! Love it!!!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Those two slices I saved out of the middle were just lovely for a sandwich. I piled on deli turkey, provolone, mayo and deli mustard, thinly sliced red onions, and lettuce. It was just wonderful--gobbled it all down before I could take a picture. Thank you, Ouizoid, for a great mix!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
golden flax meal?

[QUOTE=PaminKY;16202401]I'm wondering if for a saltine you should use baking soda instead of or in addition to baking powder. Didn't saltines use to be called soda crackers?

7 T. carbalose
7 T. carbquik
1 1/2 t. polyD
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 T. shortening
4 or 5 T. half/half

I have found that using eggs in cracker making leads to a "squeeky" cracker. This recipe with water instead of the egg or egg white changes the texture. AND it must be golden flax meal.[/QUOTE]

What was the golden flax in? I dont see it used in this recipe...were you just talking about cracker recipes in general should be made with the golden flax meal?
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
What is the carb count in this mix?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Wow this is by far the best mix I''ve tried for a cake replacement. I tried the OP recipe and although it wasn't nearly sweet enough (used mostly CC milk as the liquid next time will use all davincis) the texture was totally there. It tasted like a dense cake with no funky aftertaste or grit. I can't believe how cakey this was! LOTS of room for tweaking, I don't mind flour so will sub maybe 1/2 tbsp of ww flour and see if that makes it any better (only adds a little over 2 carbs).

Tried the biscuit and ended up with a puck, I suppose adding more liquid might of helped mine was pretty thick - was trying to get a biscuit like dough. Total fail.

Thank you, Quizoid for this fabulous recipe! I am the pickiest of eaters, do not like most low carb baked goods, but this is a keeper. Will try the cinnabon recipe tomorrow hope it works out!

<3 Christina
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

What is the texture everyone is getting? I made another one but to me it had a mouth feel of thick cream of wheat. Mine have never been very light or fluffy, and it's always slightly wet at the bottom. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it tastes good but doesn't rise very high it kind of puffs up then deflates. I'm using the original recipe with 1 tbsp almond flour/coconut flour instead of 2 coconut flour. Mostly davincis with a bit of CC milk for the liquid.

--edit--

Made it again, I'm very determined, used no almond flour this time and it came out a little less wet but still pretty dense. Here it is topped with sf chocolate frosting.

20130120_164524.jpg

Last edited by Divabunny; 01-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: updated
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
What is the texture everyone is getting? I made another one but to me it had a mouth feel of thick cream of wheat. Mine have never been very light or fluffy, and it's always slightly wet at the bottom. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it tastes good but doesn't rise very high it kind of puffs up then deflates. I'm using the original recipe with 1 tbsp almond flour/coconut flour instead of 2 coconut flour. Mostly davincis with a bit of CC milk for the liquid.

--edit--

Made it again, I'm very determined, used no almond flour this time and it came out a little less wet but still pretty dense. Here it is topped with sf chocolate frosting.

Cream of wheat. Mine is cake-like. How long do you micro it? I was getting results like yours until I increased my cooking time. I have to go over 3 minutes. Seems to me like you need to increase the cooking time. The size of the baking vessel makes a difference too. When I did it in a custard cup, it was kind of wet. When I did it in my 3" pyrex bowl, it wasn't.

Your baking powder is fresh I assume?

Last edited by sungoddess; 01-20-2013 at 05:22 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Good comment re the baking powder. I did not know until I read it on an LCF post about a year ago that baking powder (and baking soda) lose their ooomph after awhile. Was getting poor results with everything until I bought fresh -- now I am seeing an astounding difference!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Mine looks more cakey, not dense more of a light fluffy texture. Make sure you add enough liquid, you want the consistency of a muffin batter or a thick cake batter. As soon as the top is dry, you want to take it out. Let it cool on a cooling rack or on a plate for a few minutes to. Then I either frost or eat it plain. If its coming put like cream of wheat it hasn't cooked long enough. If its nut light and fluffy it may have been overcooked.

Here's a pic from one of my earlier cakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.6 KB, 54 views)