Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
What a great thread.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #392
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
What a great thread.
Truffles, just noticed your siggy line
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #393
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, I need ideas on how to eat green bananas?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I did make a biscuit with RCS260.

I had the mix made up already with almond flour and coconut flour and no E.

1/4 c. mix
1 t. RCS
cream and water mixed 50/50

I added enough liquid to make it drop biscuit consistency.
Micro 1 min 20 sec.

I cut it in half and it did toast fine. I never toasted the other biscuits so I don't know if they did or not.

BUT... I put cut the other 1/2 into pieces and put them in a 350 oven to see if they would be croutons. Well, after 6 min in the oven I saw one of the horses stuck in the fence. I shut the oven off and ran out to help the horse free himself and fix the fence.
When I got back in the house, the little pieces were dryed but not toasted, BUT..they had the texture and tasted much like saltines, without the salt. Not quite as crisp, but saltine-y.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I did make a biscuit with RCS260.

I had the mix made up already with almond flour and coconut flour and no E.

1/4 c. mix
1 t. RCS
cream and water mixed 50/50

I added enough liquid to make it drop biscuit consistency.
Micro 1 min 20 sec.

I cut it in half and it did toast fine. I never toasted the other biscuits so I don't know if they did or not.

BUT... I put cut the other 1/2 into pieces and put them in a 350 oven to see if they would be croutons. Well, after 6 min in the oven I saw one of the horses stuck in the fence. I shut the oven off and ran out to help the horse free himself and fix the fence.
When I got back in the house, the little pieces were dryed but not toasted, BUT..they had the texture and tasted much like saltines, without the salt. Not quite as crisp, but saltine-y.
And to me, saltines taste like flour.
To me, this mix has that old-timey uncooked flour taste (somehow! ) that is so satisfying.

Can't wait to make the faux saltines!

All I have to do is find the RCS I am sure I bought at some point.

Is 1t. enough to be nutritionally valuable?
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I did some experimentation today and used 4 different additives. Only one came out good enough to eat.

I tried adding 1 TBL of vital wheat gluten - awful, awful taste
Then tried vital wheat gluten with wheat bran - worse
Then buckwheat - what was I thinking??? (I was thinking I could use up all that awful stuff from my gluten free phase and somehow it would taste better )

Adding oat flour to the mix turned out the best. It was mild in flavor - it was on the bland side though. I think I would add salt and maybe a little vanilla or some kind of flavoring to the mixture next time.

The texture was great. It toasted crunchy on the outside - but denser inside than real toast..however, if I had a toaster oven I would have cut it thinner and toasted in that. I think it would have turned out nicely crispy. It does start to burn around the edges like all the low carb breads I've tried, but I wonder if it would still do that in a toaster oven.

It cuts thinly and holds up without crumbling or falling apart. I also made french toast with it - had a nice brown eggy outside and moist inside. Tasted as close as I've ever had to regular bread french toast.

1/4 cup Ouizoid's mix
1 TBL oat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp equivalent sweetener (I used Tagatose-just got some)
1 egg
1 TBL oil
1/4 cup sparkling water

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix in the egg and oil. Add the sparkling water last, stir until well combined. Spray or grease whatever you're going to bake it in. I used the mini loaf pan and baked at 325 for 25 min or until firm to touch and browning on top.

1/2 toasted and 1/2 untoasted:

French toast:
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
And to me, saltines taste like flour.
To me, this mix has that old-timey uncooked flour taste (somehow! ) that is so satisfying.

Can't wait to make the faux saltines!

All I have to do is find the RCS I am sure I bought at some point.

Is 1t. enough to be nutritionally valuable?
There is enough when you eat a half a sleeve of saltines with a bowl of soup!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Wow! I copied this flour mix and put it into my "low carb breads" folder on my computer last April and never looked at it again

I just went through all 14 pages and teased out the recipes I want to try. since I have been looking forever for the magic low carb biscuit, I think I will start there. this'll be a GREAT use for all of the gluc powder, coconut flour, whey protein powder, resistant corn starch, etc., that I have had for ages and stopped experimenting with for quite some time. Wish me luck, y'all--can't wait to get started!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #399
Big Yapper!!!!

At least you still have yours Diana, about 3 months before I finally came back to LC, I cleaned my freezer out and threw all that stuff away.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I did some experimentation today and used 4 different additives. Only one came out good enough to eat.

I tried adding 1 TBL of vital wheat gluten - awful, awful taste
Then tried vital wheat gluten with wheat bran - worse
Then buckwheat - what was I thinking??? (I was thinking I could use up all that awful stuff from my gluten free phase and somehow it would taste better )

Adding oat flour to the mix turned out the best. It was mild in flavor - it was on the bland side though. I think I would add salt and maybe a little vanilla or some kind of flavoring to the mixture next time.

The texture was great. It toasted crunchy on the outside - but denser inside than real toast..however, if I had a toaster oven I would have cut it thinner and toasted in that. I think it would have turned out nicely crispy. It does start to burn around the edges like all the low carb breads I've tried, but I wonder if it would still do that in a toaster oven.

It cuts thinly and holds up without crumbling or falling apart. I also made french toast with it - had a nice brown eggy outside and moist inside. Tasted as close as I've ever had to regular bread french toast.

1/4 cup Ouizoid's mix
1 TBL oat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp equivalent sweetener (I used Tagatose-just got some)
1 egg
1 TBL oil
1/4 cup sparkling water

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix in the egg and oil. Add the sparkling water last, stir until well combined. Spray or grease whatever you're going to bake it in. I used the mini loaf pan and baked at 325 for 25 min or until firm to touch and browning on top.
See post #331 on page 12 about my adventures with vital wheat gluten... Oh...and that buckwheat?...yes, tell us what were you thinking?

Nonetheless, I am happy with the results of your experiments as it saves the rest of us from making the same mistakes. And although I would prefer a mix with NO grains, I like the option of using oat flour because I have TONS of that...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I just made the biscuit from post #207 and it is delicious! I only used 1/2 tsp butter in the baking dish, and I used 1 tbs coconut flour and 1 tbs almond flour. I used a couple of tbs of cream and the rest water until I had a fairly loose biscuit dough. Baked for 1 minute 45 seconds in my microwave.

My coconut flour has absolutely no coconutty taste at all, and I don't remember where I got it (it was recommended by somebody--Lauren, maybe at Healthy Indulgences?)

I would like for it to have a crust, though, so will try to work on that. Gonna try #345 with the butter added to it and see what that's like.

right now, I am making up a 8x recipe of the flour mix, since I anticipate using this a lot!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #402
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Diana they sound great. I'm getting my order from netrition in a couple of days. I can't wait. I get glucomanan and oat fiber and other stuff.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Update: I sliced the biscuit in half and cut off a little piece which I smeared with a tich of butter and toasted. OMG, it was wonderful! This is not a Bojangle's biscuit, but only by a little margin. I honestly think I like this better!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Must be the day for experimenting. I finally got all the ingredients together and made RV's tweak for bread with the parmesan to serve with chili for DH and I. Very nice texture ( at first I was afraid it was going to be spongy but as it cooled it lightened up nicely!), very mild taste. We enjoyed it and DH usually doesn"t like my lc stuff.
As I measured out for the bread I put ingredients into 2 baggies for 2 of the original recipe to try for a "cake" later. The only change I made was I left out the whey protein (it spikes my bg) and for the cake ones I put 1tbs coconut flour, and 1 almond flour as I usually don't like coconut flour. Can't wait to try these.

Thanks Quizoid and RVcook. Now I need to run through the whole thread again and print out the other recipes.

And yes I, too, threw away my resistant corn starch and hundreds of dollars of other stuff sigh.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Sitting here enjoying a biscuit. My starting point is always with unflavored ingredients. To this one I added 10 drops of Capella gingerbread flavor, and a sprinkling each of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Used half DaVinci's unflavored sweetener and half water.

The best part about this is that it's so low-cal that I can slap on a couple of Tbsp. of butter, and it doesn't send the calories into the stratosphere. Mmm....
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried to make saltines in the oven....No Go.

I made the dough , rolled out thin, baked in the oven 350 until dried out. They didn't rise and were kind of like cardboard.

The cut up microwaved biscuit dried in the oven was MUCH better.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sitting here enjoying a biscuit. My starting point is always with unflavored ingredients. To this one I added 10 drops of Capella gingerbread flavor, and a sprinkling each of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Used half DaVinci's unflavored sweetener and half water.

The best part about this is that it's so low-cal that I can slap on a couple of Tbsp. of butter, and it doesn't send the calories into the stratosphere. Mmm....
Well, that made me run into my kitchen and make my own little cake.

Someone pointed me in the right direction earlier to use the unflavored protein powder if I want to taste any other flavor in there, and seeing you do this, I echoed it.

But instead of gingerbread flavor, I had Cake Batter flavor I'd never used.
I used nearly 1/2 cup milk (Hood CC) + 1 Tbsp. cream and all almond flour, no coconut flour + 2 pkts generic Truvia + 4 drops homemade EZ Sweetz + probably 1/4 tsp. cake batter flavoring.

It was too much liquid, but as usual, it's such a forgiving recipe I tumped it out of the baking dish onto a paper towel and let it dry a little.
Perfect. Tastes like CAKE! Which it is!

Of course I couldn't leave that alone, so I stirred up a little cream cheese with some vanilla DaVinci and plopped in about a tsp. of peanut butter for frosting. Hoooweee this is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I tried to make saltines in the oven....No Go.

I made the dough , rolled out thin, baked in the oven 350 until dried out. They didn't rise and were kind of like cardboard.

The cut up microwaved biscuit dried in the oven was MUCH better.
Thank you for trying!
And it's still useful to know we could cut up the biscuit and microwave it for a different texture.

This flour seems well-suited to the microwave - which really is just another plus.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
A Particularly Delightful Cookie!

too many potatoes you may ask? No doubt. Craving sugar cookies. So I creamed together 2 TBS MCT oil (any oil would do no doubt) 1/4 cup erythritol (my brown sugar knock-off) and 2 Tbs sour cream with 1/4 cup of my mix. dropped rounded spoonfuls on parchment and baked at 350 for 10-12 minutes--brown and crispy on the bottom, cakey in the middle and really so like high carb snickerdoodles!! Delish!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

too many potatoes you may ask? No doubt. Craving sugar cookies. So I creamed together 2 TBS MCT oil (any oil would do no doubt) 1/4 cup erythritol (my brown sugar knock-off) and 2 Tbs sour cream with 1/4 cup of my mix. dropped rounded spoonfuls on parchment and baked at 350 for 10-12 minutes--brown and crispy on the bottom, cakey in the middle and really so like high carb snickerdoodles!! Delish!
Sounds yummy!! I have some sugar cookie flavor drops I want to try with your mix!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

OMG! R - E - A - L - L - Y ????????? That's like heaven out of the oven!!!

My biggest gripe about LC cookies is that they're always too soft! I want a crispy, chewy bite of heaven darn it! And here you are. I'm on it...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

welllll--it is a leetle cakey and soft on the inside--but a nice crisp underneath!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
welllll--it is a leetle cakey and soft on the inside--but a nice crisp underneath!
I can take that! And if it's too cakey, I can always fiddle around with it.

Ya know...you are amazing!!! C'mon...hurry and find someone to partner with so you can bring this great mix to the world!!! I'm constantly amazed at how versatile it is! Biscuits, bread, cake, muffins, cookies, pie crust...holy smokers... Imagine what would happen if you could adapt this to a raised yeast bread...

Last edited by RVcook; 01-14-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hmmmmmmmmm. hmmm. ok. hhhmmmmmmmmmm. yeasties! they only need a wee bit of sugar to feed on, yes? my inner biochemist just perked up, lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

BTW, I've been meaning to ask: where is everyone getting their oat fiber and is one brand better than the other? I'm only on my first bag and have been pretty happy with it from Netrition.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Honeyville--
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Honeyville--
I can't even imagine ordering 50 lbs. since that is the only size they've had for a while now so I guess I'll stick with Netrition. It does work really well in this recipe
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna! Honey!! They have 4 pound bags!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Donna! Honey!! They have 4 pound bags!
Nope...was just there...Out of Stock. I checked them when you first put up this thread and it was Out of Stock then. Not sure when they'll get it in, but hard to believe that the only other option is 50 lbs...sheesh!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

Okay I had to try this as I was craving cookies and have portion control issues. Of course I had to tweak it with what I had on hand. My version of the mix has the resistant starch in it, so I used that and I used swerve, almond oil, a dash of salt, a touch of vanilla and I added dark chocolate bits. One of those changes to your version made it a crumbly cookie that didn't hold together so well, but still delicious! Thanks.

I know marketing a mix can be tricky. I buy a gluten free mix to make stuff for a friend and the woman has to carry 6 different versions of the mix. And being the tweakers we all are, some want to have almond flour in it and some don't want the whey in it and some can't handle gluc and now I want the resistant starch in mine!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hmmm, beverly--mine was crumbly with the oil and sweeteners, so at the end I stirred in the sourcream--I didn't think of that til I read your post--