Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Hmmmmm...maybe. I don't know if the starch would play nice with the other ingredients or not. I can't experiment since I don't have any, but...Ginaaaaaa...you could certainly give it a go......and let us know it worked out... Whatcha think????
I vote yay! I don't have any either, did go look it up on netrition but not sure what other uses I would have for it, but, if it did help out this mix, I would be ordering in a nano second!

How bout it Ginaaaaa,
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Hmmmmm...maybe. I don't know if the starch would play nice with the other ingredients or not. I can't experiment since I don't have any, but...Ginaaaaaa...you could certainly give it a go......and let us know it worked out... Whatcha think????
Haha I don't have any either.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Haha I don't have any either.
Well, it was a good idea. Maybe someone else will unsuspectingly volunteer.... );\...(seriously?...we don't have a devilish grin emoticon???...seriously?)
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, it was a good idea. Maybe someone else will unsuspectingly volunteer.... );...(seriously?...we don't have a devilish grin emoticon???...seriously?)
Yes, it goes back to the earlier conversations about wasting money on low carb ingredients. I probably had some at one time or another and ended up throwing it out for lack of knowing what I bought for in the first place. lol

Maybe someone out there has some and will give it a go, if not I'm still happy with this mix for cakes, pies and biscuits. I had good luck with the almond bread for sandwiches but can't say that it ever really toasted up like high carb bread does.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Well speaking of buying every possible low carb product ever even suggested as possibly low carb (look in my freezer and about half my cupboards ) - I just happen to have a ton of resistant wheat starch. I'll try it but somebody needs to tell me what to do with it. Just add it to the mix?
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
y'know--I might order some resistant starch and try this out. Thanks to the Tater hack, all that is being written about on Marks daily apple and Free the animal about the glories of resistant starch has my biochemical curiosity in an uproar.

ETA: oh--it is a wheat product. Never mind--

Last edited by ouizoid; 01-12-2013 at 12:20 PM..
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #367
Big Yapper!!!!

A tester and not only A tester but our master!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

But there is resistant corn starch also...
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Well speaking of buying every possible low carb product ever even suggested as possibly low carb (look in my freezer and about half my cupboards ) - I just happen to have a ton of resistant wheat starch. I'll try it but somebody needs to tell me what to do with it. Just add it to the mix?
I'm not really sure, maybe 1/2-1 tbsp? I may buy the resistant corn starch, its suppose to add a crispness to baked goods and its cheaper than the resistant wheat starch. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction, otherwise I guess you would have to experiment.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

corn hunh? yeah--that might work! resistant starch is supposed to be awesome for us--
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm not really sure, maybe 1/2-1 tbsp? I may buy the resistant corn starch, its suppose to add a crispness to baked goods and its cheaper than the resistant wheat starch. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction, otherwise I guess you would have to experiment.
I don't know much about how to sub in this instance, but from the "old" HC days, I know that if I were making a soft crumb cake and didn't have cake flour, I would remove 2 TB of the regular flour and sub in 2 TB of cornstarch. So I would think that if you would want to add some resistant corn starch, you would have to remove some other 'dry' component. Maybe remove 1 tsp. of the oat fiber and sub in the corn starch......?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ordered--at 3.59 a bag, not too expensive an experiment, lol--

Last edited by ouizoid; 01-12-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
ordered--at 3.59 a bag, not to expensive an experiment, lol--
Oh you're goooooooooooooooooooodddd.....
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Ok, this sounds awesome. On the rise issue, what would adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder do to this? I am not very good at tweaking recipes like many on LCF's are, but don't regular biscuits have baking soda or powder in them?

Buffy there is baking powder in there - just below the powdered egg whites.

- - -

I made the Southern Buttermilk Biscuits this morning and took them to my niece's breakfast brunch. I thought they were very good, but I'm not sure I liked them as much as the microwave version. I know that sounds odd...

Since mine didn't brown I probably left them in the oven too long. I must say it was fun to pull out my pastry cutter and use my grandfather's biscuit cutter. I'm glad I didn't throw those things out!

I quadrupled the recipe and got 8 biscuits exactly.

I'm just not positive I got the flavor out of them I would like (butter/buttermilk).
Having said that, the rest of my family and friends at the brunch were bowled-over. One of the girls was excited to tell her cousin of a gluten-free option (I did not mention all the odd ingredients!). So maybe my expectations were too high. They were very neutral-tasting to me and I would love them covered in sausage gravy.

I'm just not sure I'd go to the extra trouble when I like the microwave version so well.

I have toasted the microwave version in a toaster oven and while they don't get very brown, they do get "toasty" on top - a decidedly toasty feel.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #375
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Buffy there is baking powder in there - just below the powdered egg whites.

- - -

I made the Southern Buttermilk Biscuits this morning and took them to my niece's breakfast brunch. I thought they were very good, but I'm not sure I liked them as much as the microwave version. I know that sounds odd...

Since mine didn't brown I probably left them in the oven too long. I must say it was fun to pull out my pastry cutter and use my grandfather's biscuit cutter. I'm glad I didn't throw those things out!

I quadrupled the recipe and got 8 biscuits exactly.

I'm just not positive I got the flavor out of them I would like (butter/buttermilk).
Having said that, the rest of my family and friends at the brunch were bowled-over. One of the girls was excited to tell her cousin of a gluten-free option (I did not mention all the odd ingredients!). So maybe my expectations were too high. They were very neutral-tasting to me and I would love them covered in sausage gravy.

I'm just not sure I'd go to the extra trouble when I like the microwave version so well.

I have toasted the microwave version in a toaster oven and while they don't get very brown, they do get "toasty" on top - a decidedly toasty feel.
oh, duh on the baking powder

Thanks for your review Judy. I was thinking you might have some of the resistant starch in the wing you built onto your house for all your lowcarb products , or wait, was it just one of your bedrooms you took over, or maybe just a closet??? Heeheehee
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
oh, duh on the baking powder

Thanks for your review Judy. I was thinking you might have some of the resistant starch in the wing you built onto your house for all your lowcarb products , or wait, was it just one of your bedrooms you took over, or maybe just a closet??? Heeheehee
OH!
OH!
Thanks for outing me!

I probably do. I can't believe there is a low carb product I might not have.
HOWEVER I do remember ditching the wheat products after Wheat Belly...
Doesn't mean there's not some resistant corn starch in there!

Will let you all know. Film at 11 (area woman's bedroom filled with low carb ingredients! You won't BELIEVE the shocking video! Neighbors say she was usually quiet. Kept to herself...).
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have both starches and time tomorrow. What do you want me to try? How much etc.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
OH!
OH!
Thanks for outing me!

I probably do. I can't believe there is a low carb product I might not have.
HOWEVER I do remember ditching the wheat products after Wheat Belly...
Doesn't mean there's not some resistant corn starch in there!

Will let you all know. Film at 11 (area woman's bedroom filled with low carb ingredients! You won't BELIEVE the shocking video! Neighbors say she was usually quiet. Kept to herself...).
But, people had complained about an odd, low low-carby odor coming from her home and noticed that family had quit visiting.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
aahhh... great minds do think alike!! I have been making gluten free bread for my best friend's husband and using hi-maize resistant starch. Directions are you can replace up to 25% of your regular flour mix.

I have been doing a lot of research on it and the benefits of the starch are great, so I was thinking of doing the same thing with Ouizoid's mix and taking out 25% of the dry ingredients and replacing it with the hi-maize. I have a huge bag of it. I haven't gotten around to playing with it as I have a lot of the mix already made up, but I may try it out tomorrow and make muffins. I have been using it in protein smoothies in the morning. It is not a thickener.

I also have been playing with banana flour. Green bananas are a great resistant starch as well. I am trying to get 10 grams of it in per day to start. It causes lots of gas if you build up too quickly!

I'll report back with what I find as well.

Oh and BTW, it has completely changed my digestion system for the better!

Last edited by sungoddess; 01-12-2013 at 03:38 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Oooooo...DrJLo and Sungoddess...the answer is of course, YES!!! Please do and report back. We would ALL love to know if there would be any textural benefits from adding it. Darn...wish I could join in the fun!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
aahhh... great minds do think alike!! I have been making gluten free bread for my best friend's husband and using hi-maize resistant starch. Directions are you can replace up to 25% of your regular flour mix.

I have been doing a lot of research on it and the benefits of the starch are great, so I was thinking of doing the same thing with Ouizoid's mix and taking out 25% of the dry ingredients and replacing it with the hi-maize. I have a huge bag of it. I haven't gotten around to playing with it as I have a lot of the mix already made up, but I may try it out tomorrow and make muffins. I have been using it in protein smoothies in the morning. It is not a thickener.

I also have been playing with banana flour. Green bananas are a great resistant starch as well. I am trying to get 10 grams of it in per day to start. It causes lots of gas if you build up too quickly!

I'll report back with what I find as well.

Oh and BTW, it has completely changed my digestion system for the better!
Oh, so glad you chimed in and can't wait to hear back from you. I make a brownie recipe that has oat flour in it, the oat flour has more carbs than almond flour but less than wheat flour and also avoids the wheat issue, I am very pleased with how those turn out.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
But, people had complained about an odd, low low-carby odor coming from her home and noticed that family had quit visiting.
What's all this police tape doing around my low carb product storage bedroom?
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #383
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My friend was over and she made a suggestion so I tried it. She uses a "flour mix" almost identical to Ouiz's, but without the powdered egg white. I like it better with the egg white as it seems to make the product lighter- less dense. She suggested I just weigh out a single portion and then remove 25% and replace it with the hi-maize and make a single biscuit. So I tried it.

Biscuit

2 Tbs coconut flour - .6 oz
2 Tbs. oat fiber- .5 oz
1 Tbs whey powder- .2 oz
1 Tbs powdered egg white- .2 oz
1/2 tsp each gluc and bp- .1 ounce
Pinch of salt

Total- 1.6 ounces
Divided by 4= .4 ounces.
I removed .4 ounces of the mix and replaced with .4 ounces hi-maize. I mixed that with 7 Tbs. of almond milk. This mixture took more milk than my regular mix without the hi-maize. It also needed slightly less cooking in the microwave, about 15 seconds less.

The addition of the starch is almost invisible. The taste seemed to be the same to me, so neutral in flavor and color. No grittiness from the starch at all. The texture wasn't all that different either. Moisture slightly different- a bit drier, but that might have been due to needing to change the cooking time in the microwave. So taste, aroma, and sensory appeal are quite the same. Hi-maize is supposed to have low water holding capacity.

This biscuit is very plain in taste- I might try the recipe with the parm cheese in it for some flavor. With butter though it was good.

Of note: 2 Tbs. of almond flour (TJ brand) weighs .5 oz

I am going to keep the hi-maize in this mix for now due to the benefits. It has a high satiety factor to it. I might play around with adding more or less. It will be interesting to try in the piecrust version and crackers to see if those items crisp up more. I have made chocolate chip cookies and mexican wedding cakes with the regular mixture and I am going to try those with the hi-maize version. When I try it with the banana starch, I will report on that as well.

Here is how it looked after microwaving-

View of texture on the inside-
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

beverly--that looks so good!

I also have added green bananas and tapioca to my diet to my great satisfaction. I'm wondering about using some of the tapioca starch in the same fashion--
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
beverly--that looks so good!

I also have added green bananas and tapioca to my diet to my great satisfaction. I'm wondering about using some of the tapioca starch in the same fashion--
I think the tapioca starch is a good idea. I have trouble getting the green bananas exactly at the right degree of ripeness. I bought a batch of very green organic bananas and tried to eat one. It was the worst thing ever. It took days for them to actually start to yellow up. I ate one that was partially green and partially yellow and it was okay enough to eat, but then the whole batch was at that degree of ripeness at once and I only wanted one a day. So I looked into using the green banana flour because I didn't have to time the bananas just right!!

I know beans are a good source of resistant starch as well, but Sunday's Perfect Health diet info seems to discourage eating them, and I think the canned version are much more glycemic than making them from scratch and I don't have the patience to do that.

Resistant starch is said to help prevent colon cancer and since I am at risk for that disease, I really want to get it into my diet plan.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Beverly for your very thorough and excellent report!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #388
Big Yapper!!!!

Fiirst I have heard of this benefit of green banana, could not find much info on it. Any ideas where to look? I will google grren banana flour
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Fiirst I have heard of this benefit of green banana, could not find much info on it. Any ideas where to look? I will google grren banana flour

if you google resistant starch there is a ton of info and green bananas comes up in the discussions. Green bananas have not yet converted to sugar! The PDF that looks like a slide show gives an overall summary. Interesting stuff!
The Rediscovery
of Resistant Starch
Maren Hegsted, PhD

Also google WEDO gluten free banana flour

Why You Should Eat Green Bananas

Of course, you’ve eaten a banana - but have you ever eaten a green banana? If not, maybe you should. Eating green bananas offers some advantages you won’t get from eating the ripe, yellow fruit. What are the health benefits of green bananas?

Health Benefits of Green Bananas: What Are They?

Green bananas aren’t a new exotic breed of fruit. They’re the unripe version of the same old banana most people know and love. Green bananas are “starchier”, but the type of starch they contain is resistant starch. Resistant starch is a type of starch that isn’t digested in the same way as most starches. Instead of being broken down, they pass through the intestines unchanged – which gives them the characteristics of an insoluble fiber.

Eat Green Bananas and Reap the Benefits of Resistant Starch

The resistant starch that comes from eating green bananas has some interesting health benefits. It may even help with the battle of the bulge. High fiber foods and foods that contain resistant starch increase satiety and reduce overall calorie consumption, probably due to their effects on digestion and satiety hormones.

According to one study, the resistant starch in green bananas increases the rate of fat burning by blocking the ability of the body to use carbohydrates as fuel. When the body can’t burn carbohydrates as fuel, it’s forced to use fat instead. Foods high in resistant starch also increase insulin sensitivity, which can help people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugars.

Another Reason to Eat Green Bananas

Resistant starch has another important function. It helps to keep the digestive tract healthy by acting as “food” for friendly, probiotic bacteria. These good intestinal bacteria ferment the resistant starch in green bananas and use it to make energy. This helps to drive away bad bacteria that can cause anything from a bad case of diarrhea to chronic colon problems. When resistant starch is fermented it produces short-chain fatty acids that help to keep the colon healthy, and, possibly, reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Another surprising benefit? The short-chain fatty acids produced by the fermentation of resistant starch increases the ability of the body to absorb nutrients – especially calcium.

Other Health Benefits of Green Bananas

All bananas are a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium, and green bananas are no exception. People on low carb diets often avoid bananas because of their higher sugar content, but eating green bananas, in moderation, could have benefits for both dieters and diabetics.

Last edited by sungoddess; 01-12-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #390
Big Yapper!!!!

will be anxious to see more about this