Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Ouizoid good luck. I for one am hoping it works out. I would so love to buy this in bulk.
I made a lemon meringue tart using butter flavored shortening in the crust this time instead of butter. It seems to have turned out just as well. Haven't eaten yet but it is a thing of beauty! I was going to post pictures but I guess I can't yet
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I made a biscuit tonight flavored with Kahlua DaVinci's (and water). YUM! I love experimenting with my different syrups and/or flavor drops.

I'm getting a much better texture by having the dough be more of a dough, instead of a batter. And shortening my cook time. This is endlessly tweakable, and I'm enjoying all of it!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Tad blurry but had to show it

It was delicious. Just like the real thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post

P-U-R-T-Y!!!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I suspect the different cooking times also might have to do with the shape of the container you are using--when I first started making this, I used a cylindrical mug--taller and narrower then some of the flatter containers I now use--I am so glad you are all tailoring the cooking times--basically, the second it stops looking shiny on top, pull it out!
I don't know why I ignored this before, but absolutely - this has got to be correct.

I am using sort of a personal-sized casserole. They're very cute. I probably got them to serve hot dips or something. They are about 4-1/2" in diameter.
My little cakes and biscuits rise very high but have not yet spilled over.

So if it's a cake it REALLY looks like a little cake.
I like the texture of the biscuit best in that little casserole, too.

But if I split up the batter and use little ramekins, I think I just need to be more mindful of cooking it for a smaller amount of time.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made blueberry pies today!! I used your recipe and made them in small pie pans. I patted the dough between my hands that I dusted with flour mix. The dough was flakey just like you said. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

I had a piece with homemade whip cream and a nice cup of green mountain blueberry coffee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.6 KB, 71 views)
Ginaaaaaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
gina! Those look so good!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm thinking about approaching Honeyville. They carry all the components. I wonder if they would be interested in a bake mix like this.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

It tastes as good it looks!! I love this flour mix!! I can use it for cakes, muffins, biscuits and pies. Everything taste great and there's nothing in it that bothers my tummy either!!

Now if we can figure out how to make a pizza crust with it I'd be all set!! Lol
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I'm thinking about approaching Honeyville. They carry all the components. I wonder if they would be interested in a bake mix like this.
I wish I had any skillset to take to help you. Honestly I'm so grateful for this mixture and I, too, would be THRILLED to buy a ready-made mix!

Think of how many things in our world and marketplace do not support low carb or truly low calorie or both. And this could even fit into low fat, so it's truly sommersaulting and backflipping in so many ways of eating.

If you need anything read-over or edited (think grammar and try to ignore my excited typing on these boards! ) or cheerleading, I'm your gal.

No matter what, thanks for this recipe and thanks to the smart tweakers!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gina, exactly what I was thinking - PIZZA crust

I made a chocolate cakey thing today and all I did was throw stuff in. I didn't measure, just started adding stuff I thought would work. It turned out a cross between a brownie and cake, dense but yet light -hard to explain but the texture was great.
This is like a miracle mix to me. I think what's so good about it is that when I set out to make something, I always have the high carb end result in my head then end up disappointed. But I have yet to be disappointed using this mix.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

I used the basic recipe (with no sweetener and unflavored whey) to make a hamburger bun. It was great, though I probably should have cut it in thirds, as it was a bit thick for a bun.

But I have a question - if I left out the whey, would that change anything? If I'm using this as a bun, I don't want the extra protein from the whey. So can I just leave it out? Or should I add an extra Tbsp. of the oat fiber to compensate?

I love Oopsie rolls as buns and use them, too, but this has a nice texture and can be made in a flash, so I'd like the option.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I used the basic recipe (with no sweetener and unflavored whey) to make a hamburger bun. It was great, though I probably should have cut it in thirds, as it was a bit thick for a bun.

But I have a question - if I left out the whey, would that change anything? If I'm using this as a bun, I don't want the extra protein from the whey. So can I just leave it out? Or should I add an extra Tbsp. of the oat fiber to compensate?

I love Oopsie rolls as buns and use them, too, but this has a nice texture and can be made in a flash, so I'd like the option.
Not wishing to sound like a smart-aleck but I can't wait until you try it!
I could do with less protein also.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Most protein powders have between 20-25 gm of protein in 1/3 cup and there's only 1 tbsp in the recipe which would be about 3.7-4.7 gm of protein. There's 3 gm of protein in a large egg white, so you're only getting about 6 or 7 gm of protein from the mix.

The only way to see if it would work is to try leaving it out. It may not work to substitute the oat fiber because it sucks up a lot of liquids, same with coconut flour.

Let us know if you try it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

I tried it today without the whey. I didn't notice much difference, so that was nice, and actually I think the texture was even breadier. I'm going to keep using it as a bun this way, and I'm thrilled I can have one for about 75 calories. I love the almond flour and flax buns, but they are so high in calories and I'm at a point in my weight loss where I have to be really mindful of my calorie intake.

This flour mix keeps on being awesome!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I tried it today without the whey. I didn't notice much difference, so that was nice, and actually I think the texture was even breadier. I'm going to keep using it as a bun this way, and I'm thrilled I can have one for about 75 calories. I love the almond flour and flax buns, but they are so high in calories and I'm at a point in my weight loss where I have to be really mindful of my calorie intake.

This flour mix keeps on being awesome!
Oh thank you for trying it!

Yes - the low calories are what attracted me too. I am able to eat a high fat diet, which is extremely satisfying, but there is a limit to calories, at least for me.

But to be able to have little cakes and biscuits and buns and now pie crusts?? (Ouizoid this is keeping me from doing a potato fast! )

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Just read all11 pages and will be trying this as soon as I have all the ingredients. You are all so enthusiastic about it that it must be the mix I have been looking for. Thanks to all for sharing.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #318
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
You won't be sorry Shunsweets, it is such a basic mix that you can change up in so many ways. So quick, easy and wonderful to have on hand.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #319
Big Yapper!!!!

My next one I think is going to be gingerbread, I found the DaVinci gingerbread flavoring at TJ Maxx the other day, will put a little ginger and cinnamon spices in it as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I tried this as a single raspberry muffin this morning, Ouiz, using thick sugar-free raspberry syrup, 2T. cream and enough water to total 1/2 c. liquid. My mistake, but I added all the liquid all at once and my batter was very thin (likely due to the fact I used only half the specified coconut flour and subbed in the half almond flour suggested by someone) but it cooked up fine despite the batter's thinness. Reducing the coconut flour would logically required less liquid and I should have added my liquid slowly and stopped before the batter got so thin. That might improve the end product.

The final muffin cooked completely done, without getting rubbery, in exactly 3 minutes in my Maytag MW. I really liked the taste! It rose somewhat unevenly (lop-sided) and had a lot of holes in the final product. The holes surprised me, actually, Ouiz, since I find gluc and oat fiber tend to smooth out cakes/breads with too many air holes. Wonder if slightly increasing gluc or oat fiber would help with that? I may try that next time.

I used a small 6" oval Corningware casserole dish to bake mine. Ouiz, I think you're right about the cooking vessel being a factor on results/cooking time. I'll have to try perhaps a smaller diameter cereal bowl/container to see if I can get a better shaped muffin with more even rise.

I will follow the recipe exactly as written next time and see how that comes out. Thanks for this wonderful mix, Ouiz. I know I'll continue experimenting with new variations. A lot of great ideas and pics have been shared already! There is definitely a market for a mix like this. I've often told Jen the same thing about her wonderful mixes.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buttoni! Nice to see ya girl! Please keep us posted on your experimentation--I always value your feedback~
Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #322
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Please post recipe for filling and meringue
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Here you go Buffy.

Curd:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup equivalent sweetener or to taste
1/4 cup lemon juice
lemon zest to taste if you have it
3 egg yolks

In a small saucepan, melt the butter -take it off the heat and add the lemon juice, zest and sweetener. Add the egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Put it back on low heat stirring until it thickens. Put it into the fridge to cool and get thick.

Meringue:
3 egg whites (I let them sit out while the filling cooled and set up in the fridge)
1/4 tsp cream of tarter

Beat all meringue ingredients together until you have stiff peaks. I haven't ever used a liquid sweetener so I'm not sure how that would impact the egg whites. Might want to wait until they are starting to get some body before adding it.

When the filling is cool and thick, put it into the pie crust, top with meringue ( it will be a lot of meringue - I actually made meringue cookies too since there's so much). I baked my meringue at 350 until it browned on the peaks and then put it back in fridge to cool.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #324
Big Yapper!!!!

Yum, thank you
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here you go Buffy.

Curd:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks

In a small saucepan, melt the butter -take it off the heat and add the lemon juice, zest and sweetener. Add the egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Put it back on low heat stirring until it thickens. Put it into the fridge to cool and get thick.

Meringue:
3 egg whites (I let them sit out while the filling cooled and set up in the fridge)
1/4 tsp cream of tarter

Beat all meringue ingredients together until you have stiff peaks. I haven't ever used a liquid sweetener so I'm not sure how that would impact the egg whites. Might want to wait until they are starting to get some body before adding it.

When the filling is cool and thick, put it into the pie crust, top with meringue ( it will be a lot of meringue - I actually made meringue cookies too since there's so much). I baked my meringue at 350 until it browned on the peaks and then put it back in fridge to cool.
Yes - thank you!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Here you go Buffy.

Curd:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks

Meringue:
1/4 tsp cream of tarter

Don't need no crust...don't need no meringue...just hand me the curd, a huge spoon and a bowl full of whipped cream...and I am SO good...!!!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Don't need no crust...don't need no meringue...just hand me the curd, a huge spoon and a bowl full of whipped cream...and I am SO good...!!!

But yeah, me too.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Ugh wish I would have seen this before I placed my Netrition order yesterday! Can't wait to try this. I really hope I like this because I'll be once again buying ingredients that I never use otherwise. I don't mean to sound like a debbie downer, but I've tried so many recipes here that people rave about (The cream cheese muffins, the poundcake etc.) and they all just taste eggy and spongy to me I've wasted so much money so I'm really hesitant, but the pictures posted here look fantastic I'll have to bite the bullet and try this out.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Ugh wish I would have seen this before I placed my Netrition order yesterday! Can't wait to try this. I really hope I like this because I'll be once again buying ingredients that I never use otherwise. I don't mean to sound like a debbie downer, but I've tried so many recipes here that people rave about (The cream cheese muffins, the poundcake etc.) and they all just taste eggy and spongy to me I've wasted so much money so I'm really hesitant, but the pictures posted here look fantastic I'll have to bite the bullet and try this out.
Since you have no way of finding me later..... I will rave again about this.
I hear you about a lot of the other low carb things.
I had a false start well over a year ago, and bought all kinds of weird things hoping to make every low-carb treat in the universe.

A year after I bought a lot of those things, I started in earnest, but knew I couldn't do it unless I could have desserts. I wanted bread, but would 'make do' with oopsies or something.

So I had a lot of items I couldn't even remember the reason they were purchased! I really think this is completely worth buying the odd ingredients. The biscuits taste like a biscuit. The little cakes taste like cake (be sure and frost them with cream cheese sweetened with vanilla DaVinci and whatever else you wish).
I haven't tried the cookie version or the lemon meringue pie, but don't they look good??

I am a little forgiving of tastes and textures. I do not eat wheat any longer, so I'm giving up that old familiar taste and texture.

This is just so darn good. I hope you like it as much as we do.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Since you have no way of finding me later..... I will rave again about this.
I hear you about a lot of the other low carb things.
I had a false start well over a year ago, and bought all kinds of weird things hoping to make every low-carb treat in the universe.
Thanks for your response, Judy. I feel much better about placing the order, really the only thing I need is the Oat Fiber which is fairly cheap, but the cheapest Whey Protein Isolate I see on Netrition is $20 bucks - Is that what everyone is using?
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote