Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'm 1 min. 30 seconds now, too - or until I see the top is no longer wet.
I know everybody's micro works differently and mine has hot spots so one day it worked at 1 min 40 secs and then today I stopped it at 1 min 30 secs. Who knows...tomorrow it may be 1 min 20 secs...lol!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I am aware you can't link to other websites, but has anyone found a cheaper source for powdered egg whites? I am looking at Honeyville - anything better than that?

Thanks.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
I am aware you can't link to other websites, but has anyone found a cheaper source for powdered egg whites? I am looking at Honeyville - anything better than that?

Thanks.
Judy, I have Now Brand Eggwhite Protein that I purchased from Netrition. 1.2 lbs. of it is $14.99. I make this Fantastic Flour Mix quite often and this stuff works great with it.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Judy, I have Now Brand Eggwhite Protein that I purchased from Netrition. 1.2 lbs. of it is $14.99. I make this Fantastic Flour Mix quite often and this stuff works great with it.
That sounds good - thank you!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another question please, may I use unflavored whey protein isolate when the recipe calls for "protein powder"?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
You sure can! I am using only unflavored whey now with this mix, so I can flavor it with other stuff.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Perfect - I love this mix so much and am getting an order ready - I wanted everything to be just right. Also ordering for my mom & sister.

Thank you for answering so quickly!

Yesterday I used a "real" egg white in place of the egg white powder and it worked just great - no discernable difference than using egg white powder.

However I love the idea of making up a large batch and only needing to add milk and/or cream for savory and sweetener for the little cakes and cookies. If you have some calories to spare, adding cream - even only 1 Tablespoon - makes the result very creamy and moist.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I bought the now egg white protein and to me it has a funny taste, except when used with strong flavors like chocolate or cinnamon. I'm going back to Deb El Just Whites. It's more expensive but has no funny smell or taste.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH MY GOSH I literally have my cart up - thank you so much.

The DebEl is expensive, but it's not worth it to have funny-smelling cakes & biscuits!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
...The DebEl is expensive, but it's not worth it to have funny-smelling cakes & biscuits!
I agree. I purchased egg white protein a while back and not only did it smell like 'farts in a can' it was SO salty!...yes...SALTY! Into the trash it went. And, because taste is subjective and I have an extremely picky palate, wasting money on 'cheap' ingredients isn't an option. DebEl works with no 'odd' taste...like that gawd-awful CarbQuick......so I certainly think its cost is justified.

Thankfully, I don't spend a lot of money on specialty ingredients anymore...they also went into the trash long ago, but I like it when I find something that just...works. DebEl works.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Yikes, sorry about that! I really like the Now Brand Eggwhite Protein and it works well for me in the flour mix. Donna, I don't think it is salty at all and I really dislike things that are overly salted. Sure wouldn't want to steer anyone the wrong way, though. But glad I bought it...I'll buy it again!

I like Carbquik, too. Mostly I use it in low carb pancakes.

There are quite a few things that others have suggested on these threads that I've bought and ended up throwing out. Guess it's a learning process!!!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt

Last edited by shirlc; 01-02-2013 at 10:29 AM..
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Yikes, sorry about that! I really like the Now Brand Eggwhite Protein and it works well for me in the flour mix. Donna, I don't think it is salty at all and I really dislike things that are overly salted. Sure wouldn't want to steer anyone the wrong way, though. But glad I bought it...I'll buy it again!

I like Carbquik, too. Mostly I use it in low carb pancakes.

There are quite a few things that others have suggested on these threads that I've bought and ended up throwing out. Guess it's a learning process!!!
Oh no Shirl, I wasn't thinking you were steering anyone the wrong way and I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the brand or egg white protein in general for that matter. I just have a really, super finicky palate that is probably more sensitive than most so in my case, I just have to go with what I know works and in this recipe DebEl definitely works. I think that is what makes this formulation so great...it is completely customizable.

And yes...I too agree that it's definitely a learning process. I don't even like to think about all those specialty ingredients I purchased and then dumped because of one reason or another. My LC journey began later than most so I just kept trying everything I could and half the time I couldn't remember what I bought the darned stuff for in the first place... Being...ahem...older and wiser now, it's just easier to stick with what works. Guess I don't like change either...man I'm getting old...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Oh no Shirl, I wasn't thinking you were steering anyone the wrong way and I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the brand or egg white protein in general for that matter. I just have a really, super finicky palate that is probably more sensitive than most so in my case, I just have to go with what I know works and in this recipe DebEl definitely works. I think that is what makes this formulation so great...it is completely customizable.

And yes...I too agree that it's definitely a learning process. I don't even like to think about all those specialty ingredients I purchased and then dumped because of one reason or another. My LC journey began later than most so I just kept trying everything I could and half the time I couldn't remember what I bought the darned stuff for in the first place... Being...ahem...older and wiser now, it's just easier to stick with what works. Guess I don't like change either...man I'm getting old...
RVcook you could be describing me! I came late to the party as far as LC and had a failed start in 2011. I bought everything I could find (including oat fiber) that anyone was talking about.

I've thrown away many things and often forgot why in the world I bought some of them. This thread made me happy again for some of the weird things I had purchased earlier (and not yet thrown out).

I certainly don't think anyone was steering anyone wrong! We all have to find what works for us and everyone's opinion is honestly appreciated!
Thanks to all who take the time to help us.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Count me in too!! The only special ingredients I buy now are almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, flax, whey protein powder, and sweeteners. I mostly use erythritol, Splenda liquid and davinci syrup for sweeteners. Those are the only ingredients I buy regularly and I buy sf chocolate chips and unsweetened coconut when needed. The chocolate chips I usually make my own in the summertime to avoid the extra shipping charge for keeping them from melting.

I wasn't happy when I realized the big container of now egg white powder was making my fantastic flour mix not so fantastic! Lol
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Judy: I missed the 'original' LC boat in the 90's and didn't come on board until 2003...holy smokes...it's been 10 years for me!!!! So I was right in between the "make everything yourself" LC food wave and the "pre-made LC frankenfood in a box" wave. All of it was pretty much just awful. But I just kept on trying. Phew! Not that it's a good thing, but happy to hear that I'm in good company when it comes to money wasted.

Gina: My LC specialty ingredient list is almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan/guar gum, stevia, xylitol, lohan gao, erythritol, chia seed and oat fiber. I'm currently looking for a sub for my DH's Diabetisweet and the only thing that is still hanging around that might help is that bottle of inulin I bought for...whatever reason...so I may start experimenting with that at some point.

I do have to say once again, that this flour mix is really yummy! I had a savory portion this morning with my eggs and boy was it ever good. I too am very thankful for all the amazing cooks on this board.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Good list Donna, I do buy glucommanan and xanthan gun and xylitol too. I've never tried diabetisweet or insulin. I have a bag of chia seeds that I've had for a while that I've kept in the fridge but don't seem to find anything to use it for that I would like.

I agree, this flour mix is amazing and I did try using almond flour in place of coconut flour but it seemed to cook faster, so I will need to experiment with the time and amount of liquid to add when using the almond flour.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I agree, this flour mix is amazing and I did try using almond flour in place of coconut flour but it seemed to cook faster, so I will need to experiment with the time and amount of liquid to add when using the almond flour.
When I am making this for a sweet application, I use no coconut flour and substitute almond flour instead. I agree - it cooks much faster that way, but I do like the consistency better.

When I am making a savory application, I use 1 Tbsp. coconut flour and 1Tbsp. almond flour - it still cooks faster than Ouizoid's - I might have a super duper microwave, not sure.

I made a biscuit yesterday and could not eat the whole thing. Wrapped it in foil and had the rest today - same great texture and flavor - just warmed it for a few seconds in order to melt the butter.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Great, thanks for the tips!! I will try using 1 tbsp each next time for a biscuit.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I suspect the different cooking times also might have to do with the shape of the container you are using--when I first started making this, I used a cylindrical mug--taller and narrower then some of the flatter containers I now use--I am so glad you are all tailoring the cooking times--basically, the second it stops looking shiny on top, pull it out!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

I am leaning towards the difference in the flours because I've been using the same containers since I began making them. I just need to take into account how much liquid to use and cooking times for each flour.
I never measured for the coconut flour, I just added liquid until it looked right then when baking I keep an eye on it and when it's risen and looks done I take it out. Usually it takes about 1 1/2 minutes and I make two muffins in 6 oz ramekins.
I will figure out the almond flour liquids and times too. Just takes a few practice runs.
I use an 800 watt microwave.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I made one the other day where I put in a little more liquid than I usually do, and it was fairly thin batter - like crepe batter almost. The texture came out totally different, and it rose differently, more spread out.

Normally I add liquid until it's like thick cake batter, or maybe a tad thicker. I think it works best that way.

I'm using a round Pyrex dish, I think it's 3 or 4" across.

I'm going to see how I do to make this into a hamburger bun...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I don't know how to delete a post

Last edited by Callieco; 01-02-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

I was gone over holidays and obsessed the whole time about what I could make with the mix . Came home to make peanut butter cookies and promptly melted a plastic cutting board in the oven. So after two days of cleaning it out, I decided to try a pie crust. This was the closest thing to a flour pie crust I've had since I started low carbing . It is really good. I added some almond flour but basically just used the mix and a regular pie crust recipe:

1/4 cup mix
2TBL almond flour
salt (to taste - I tend to like salty)
1/2 stick cold butter
3 TBL water

Mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in until crumbly and well mixed. Add water - one tablespoon at a time and mix. The dough was wet but not sticky.

I put the dough into two 5" ceramic tart dishes and formed the crust with my fingers. Pricked with a fork and baked at 325 for about 25 min. I have an oven that never bakes the same way twice so your time might be different.

It's flaky and holds up really well. It stuck a little to the dish so I don't know if you could cut 'slices' but I made no bake cheesecakes with them and it was delicious - honestly I don't think I would have known they were low carb if I hadn't baked them myself. The coconut does seem to get stronger baking it like this though. I used Bob's Red Mill which has a pretty strong taste and smell. Still, amazing stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Wow I am going to try the pie crust! Thanks for experimenting for us!! It sounds really good.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Me too...me too!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to add that I use unflavored whey protein powder instead of vanilla in my mix and the crusts were baked until golden brown. Can't wait to hear how this turns out for you. Also does anybody know of a coconut flour that has little to no flavor and smell or are they pretty much the same?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I forgot to add that I use unflavored whey protein powder instead of vanilla in my mix and the crusts were baked until golden brown. Can't wait to hear how this turns out for you. Also does anybody know of a coconut flour that has little to no flavor and smell or are they pretty much the same?
Maybe one of our supertasters will chime in.
I've been happy with Bob's - I can tell the coconut flavor and smell is there, but it does not overwhelm me or distract me.

Love this pie crust version!!

I'm telling you, this flour mixture is making low carb the bomb-diggity!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Well I don't think I'm a supertaster...just a picky taster and I sure would like an answer to Callieco's question about coconut flour. I also use BRM and I find that it has significant coconut taste to make me NOT use it in savory applications. However, I don't seem to mind the taste in sweeter things. And I actually enjoy the taste of coconut...but only in certain things...I guess...ughh...!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

I'm having cheesecake for breakfast (how many dieters can say that!) and the crust is even better the second day. Having been in the fridge, and with the filling, it's picked up some moisture but it just seems to have made it more tender. It's still on the flaky side and the coconut taste and smell is a lot more subtle - I can barely detect it. It also pulls away from the dish easier too.
Lemon Meringue next

I'm out of mix and seriously would buy it already mixed. Ouizoid, don't know what state you live in but my state, Oregon, will give licenses for domestic kitchens which allows you to package dry mixes like this in your home to sell. I used to make chocolates out of my kitchen and sold them direct to the public and to some small stores. You could contact your Dept. of Agriculture to find out if that's something you could do if you're interested. I think you really have something here. I'm sure there's quite a few people here who would beg Netrition to carry it
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Callie--If I didn't have such a busy practice as a psychologist, I would totally do that! I truly am seriously interested in marketing this mix, but I think I need to make a deal with a manufacturer to do it. Anyone who has any tips on doing that, chime on in!!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote