Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: antoszewskia
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 29, 2011
Dehydrated foods

I recently found out about dehydrated Zucchini and I'm actually making some zucchini chips now. Does anyone have any delicious recipes for other dehydrated foods that are induction friendly?
antoszewskia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I don't have any recipes. I've made different kinds of jerky lots of time but mostly I just marinate the meat in soy sauce and red pepper flakes cause I like the heat.

Do you have to do anything special to the zucchini to make the chips? Like blanching it first or anything like that? I'd like to try making them too.

I tried celery but that was a bust. I don't know why it didn't work, but there must be a secret to it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This recipe is not induction friendly and I haven't tried it, but I just noticed I had the link, so you might want to make these after you are done with induction. It has a picture of the chips too.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ese-chips.html
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: antoszewskia
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 29, 2011
All I did for my zucchini Chips was get my mandeline out and slice them as thin as possible. The recipe I read suggested to dry them on paper towel for 10 minutes. I did this the first time and it took a way long time.. like 3:30-4 hours. The second time I did it, I sliced them and put them on paper towel and then put them in my fridge overnight. The next day I put down some parchment paper, lightly sprayed them with Olive Oil and some Kosher Salt and left them in the oven for 2-2.5 hours on 200 or lower. They're super light and sooo delicious. My problem is I can't keep them in the house long enough to enjoy them! I made one zucchini today and the chips all together fit in a 1/2 cup container.. maybe a little more. So you can see how they go so quickly!

I might need to invest in a dehydrator to try to get a stockpile (lol) going.
antoszewskia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the help.

If you google "how to dehydrate vegetables" a couple of good sites show up that tell about most veggies. I can't post a link on here, but they are pretty easy to find.

There are some older threads on here about dehydrating stuff, if you do a search. For some reason, the links never work from this site, but you can find them using the search bar uptop or the google search.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I think I might like the zucchini better than the kale. And with summer coming I want to try these. (AND I have a dehydrator). I would guess once you slice them with the mandolin you can put them on a paper towel. Not sure how long, and then put them in the dehydrator.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Has anyone tried making zucchini chips in a dehydrator? Are they a good enough substitute for potato chips to justify the cost of a dehydrator and all the work involved to make the chips? I have been debating for a month as to whether or not a dehydrator would sit in the cabinet alongside the bread machine that I can no longer use. I don't like jerky and am diabetic so I don't eat fruit. Any input would be appreciated.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Has anyone tried making zucchini chips in a dehydrator? Are they a good enough substitute for potato chips to justify the cost of a dehydrator and all the work involved to make the chips? I have been debating for a month as to whether or not a dehydrator would sit in the cabinet alongside the bread machine that I can no longer use. I don't like jerky and am diabetic so I don't eat fruit. Any input would be appreciated.
If I had not bought mine very cheaply off of Craigs List I would not have purchased one.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I bought a cheapie (but worked well) dehydrator, a Nesco Snackmaster, first to try out to see if I'd really use it. I did, so invested in an Excalibur to use.

When I did zucchini chips, I used the slicing blade on my food processor to speed up that process, and I didn't bother to dry the slices on paper towels first, just tossed them with a VERY small amount of olive oil (just enough to give a very fine coating) and sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt (it concentrates when you dehydrate) and let 'em go til crispy.

They're NOT a potato chip substitute as far as dipping goes, but they're a really tasty snack. I also did yellow squash and we loved those too.

Fave is still kale though!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Dried zucchine chips and cucumber chips are great. I have an Excalibur and it's the bomb. My kids call me the Dehydrater Queen, lol. I dry everything! I love to keep dried onoins and garlic around so I can grind them up to a powder to make my own salts and spice mixes. Dry fruits, melons ect. I use them in my muffins ect. It's easy to rehydrate and use for cooking. Also love dried apples and rehydrate them for pies ect. Tomatos can be dried and soaked in oil, or dry them and grind them to powder for making sauces.
I dry lemon slices and use one everyday in my cups of water.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I dry some winter squash along with the others that I've done.

Delicata, turban in strips, and goleden nugget. Tomatos, kale , onions,lot of veggies.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote