Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Lower Fat Oven Fried Fish With Photos

Click to enlarge images

Oven Fried Fish Filets
Yield – 4 Servings
Serving Size – 6oz Raw
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 25 – 30 Minutes
Difficulty – Easy

Ingredients
1-1/2 lbs Fish Filets (About 3 filets-firm white flesh fish)
1/2c Egg Whites (About 3 egg whites, separated)
1c Pork Rind Crumbs, measure after grinding to crumbs
1/2c Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Parsley Flakes, dried
Olive Oil Spray
Garnish – Lemon Wedges (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425°.

Wash and dry fish filet and check for bones. Cut filet into 3 equal pieces roughly the same thickness to ensure even cooking.

Season fish with ˝ of the amount of garlic, parsley flakes and pepper and set aside.

Combine remaining spices with pork rind crumbs and parmesan cheese (green can parmesan works just fine for this). I don’t salt them because the pork rinds and parmesan are salty already.

Beat egg whites until loose and frothy. You will see some bubbles!

Dredge each piece of fish in egg white and coat with crumb mixture. Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet pan. Continue to finish breading all the pieces.

Spray fish filets with a squirt of olive oil spray on each side.

Bake at 425° for 20 – 30 minutes. Crust should be golden and crispy and flesh should “give” or separate when pressed in the middle with your finger. Cooking time will be less with thinner fish.

If using sole or thin filets like flounder, consider raising the oven temperature to 450° and cooking them a shorter amount of time.

Healthy Tartar Sauce
Yield – ˝ cup
Serving Size – 2 Tbsp
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – None

Ingredients
1/4c Greek Yogurt
1/4c Mayonnaise (Hellman’s, Duke’s or Best Brand)*
2 Tbsp Capers
1 Tbsp Onion
1 tsp Dill Relish (Vlassics)
˝ Lemon, juiced
Garlic Powder
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper

Directions
Finely mince onion and capers.

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve along with the fish.

*Tartar Sauce Note –
I used an extra 1/4c of Greek yogurt to replace the mayonnaise in this recipe. It worked great and reduced the calories! I didn’t even miss my beloved Hellman’s Mayo! Very easy to make!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Egg white WOULD make it lower fat and lower calorie. Great idea.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Those look delicious.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
the condiment queen

Thanks Peggy! This is actually a combination of two recipes. My Mom read about the mayo and bread crumb recipe and used to make it for our Friday dinners cuz we were all mad about Luby's Fried Haddock and with 8 people, it was expensive to eat out! I loved it and it still makes me think of childhood.

And then I had a client during my catering business days who insisted I make these elaborate fried asparagus for a party of 40. OMG. You dip in egg white wash and coat in freshly grated parmesan then you either deep fry them or fry in butter and olive oil mixture. Either way it was a nightmare and totally put us in the weeds for dinner service lol cuz it had to be done last minute.

When I first started low carbing in 2000 I adapted Mom's fish recipe to make the Luby's Haddock low carb with pork rinds and parmesan cheese and then later developed the idea of doing the asparagus in the oven as an oven fried thing. It turns out better in my opinion than frying them and they are sooo addictive! Pretty quick and easy.

It took your recipe to remind me how much I loved that fish dish! I have to be such a miser about calories these days in order to lose even with JUDDD, that I finally figured out to try the asparagus technique with the oven fried fish to see if it works. Thank you for a marvelous recipe and inspiration! I wish I could still eat mayo!!!

Esther they were really delicious filets. Even my picky Denny who hates most things fish and seafood ate it and liked it and said he'd eat it again.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I want to try this, but the pork rinds I can get in the grocery store are too high in calories. Do you use the ones you puff in the microwave or regular store-bought? How many calories does this end up being? They look absolutely delish!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
the condiment queen

Diana ****** was down this morning so I couldn't do the nutritionals yet. I think my bag has like 70-80calories for a serving of the rinds and I don't think it takes 1 complete serving to make up the pork rind portion. I will check and get back with you as soon as I can plug through ******!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Looks awesome! Very clever!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
the condiment queen

Oven Fried Fish

Full Recipe
Cals 1227
Fat 54.2g
Carbs 4.1g
Fiber 1.0g
Protein 170.5g
Alcohol 0g

Single Serving
Cals 307
Fat 13.6g
Carbs 1.0g
Fiber 0.2g
Protein 42.6g
Alcohol 0g

Healthy Tartar Sauce (half mayo & half Greek yogurt - it would be lower if all Grk yogurt)
Cals 449
Fat 45.7g
Carbs 10.5g
Fiber 1.2g
Protein 3.0g

Healthy Tartar Sauce - Single Serving
Cals 112
Fat 11.4g
Carbs 2.6g
Fiber 0.3g
Protein .8g
Alcohol 0.g

Diana the pork rinds I use are Bakenets. Here is their breakdown per serving:
Serving Size 14g=1/3c=6Tbsp
Cals 80
Fat 5g
Carbs 0g
Fiber 0g
Protein 7g
Alc 0g
Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Pooti! That fish looks so good, and I keep hearing about pork rinds being so good for breading.

One more question: do the pork rinds create more or less volume when they are ground up?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Diana there is a point where it goes from being fluffy and becomes dense. Almost what happens when you over process nuts, right? So you can go see the texture I use on the second white bread post on the blog to see the texture. It's almost a Panko texture? Beyond that, the pork rinds start decreasing their volume as the cells break down and become more packed and dense. The 1/3c serving for the pork rinds refers to the already ground measure around the Panko size stage. I weighed out 14g of pork rinds and ground them up, then measured them by cup and tablespoon. That's how I came up with the measurement equivalents.

Also, breathe through your mouth cuz they do have a strong smell many find objectionable. Once you chill them, that smell dissipates over time somewhat. But I just ignore the smell cuz the taste is really excellent. Especially if you cut them with a little parmesan for breading. I used to do 1:1 (1 part pork rinds to 1 part parmesan) but for most things, I think the parmesan makes it too cheesy tasting and assertive and also is saltier.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

I just bought some wild caught flounder to make this. Yum.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

These are in the oven. I used tilapia and mixed the pork rinds and parmesan with an equal part (1/3) dried bread crumbs from some of Kevinpa's bread, very low carb and also very low calorie. The tartar sauce is wonderful! I can't wait to try this all together. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Pictures and comments coming in a little bit!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

This was really good! I especially loved the tartar sauce - so much better than the commercial kind. Thanks for this recipe.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
the condiment queen

Esther how did your fish turn out?

Diana, I LOVE your piccys hon!!! That looks soooo awesome! Gimme some!?! So glad you like the fish and the tartar sauce. Do you know that tartar sauce was dang near the first dish I ever learned to make in our house? It was my job to make tartar sauce on Fridays. We were always meatless on Fridays, cuz we're Catholic.

I think I was about 5 years old when I started making it! Cocktail sauce was right behind that! LOL. In those days we used to drive down to Kemah and pick up 50lbs of shrimp for almost nothing. The shrimper would give us the by-catch for free (blue crab and some fish). We'd come home and have a "heading" party in the back yard. Set a huge pot on for stock and make the shrimp stock and freeze a lot of the shrimp and crab bodies and stock. We'd toss in the crab claws and cook that in the stock also then start pickin' it!

That way we always had seafood on hand ready and waiting for Friday's fried fish or shrimp or gumbo of etouffee or jumbalaya or bisque or any one of a hunnerd different seafood based meals. I still dream of my daddy's shrimp creole, my grandma's gumbo, and my sissies etouffee! OMG. I'm starving!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

You are a girl after my own heart! My daddy took us crabbing in the sound all during crab season. We'd drag our canoe, stocked with a basket and a hissing coleman lantern on a wooden block inside the boat, along the edge of the water at night. Whoever would spot a crab would scoop it up in a long-handled net. You had to flip it over just right to get the crab in the basket, or he'd wrap his claws up in the net and hang on tight!

When we got home, my mom would have a huge pot of water boiling on the stove and in went the crabs (it was horrible, though, because they were alive!) the next day we would all sit around the kitchen table which was covered in a gazillion newspapers, and shell crab. I still remember the juices running down my arms in the sticky heat. But it was all worth it for the best crabcakes ever! And we'd save a few nice shells for her to make stuffed crab.

Stuffed Crab
You need 4 clean crab shells for this. (You can use any kind of large clean shell or ramekin, also.)
• 3 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1/2 cup diced green pepper
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (I use whatever low carb bread I have on hand)
• 2 cups crabmeat, claw or legs
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning (or to taste)
• 3 tbs chopped parsley
• 1 tsp mustard
• 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp or more hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce or Texas Pete)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Melted butter for drizzling the tops

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a hot skillet add the oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic and cook until just tender. Let cool in a bowl, then add the bread crumbs, saving out about ˝ cup for topping.
When cooled add crab meat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and hot sauce and seasonings, along with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix the ingredients well and stuff the shells. Top each shell with a layer of bread crumbs and drizzle with a little melted butter. Bake for 25 minutes until warmed through and the top is crispy.

Last edited by dianafoot; 04-16-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
the condiment queen

Diana what an awesome story!!! I can see it and feel it happening! I love your recipe and can't wait to try it! I too remember that sticky sting almost of the crab juice and shrimp juice rollin' down my arms. We didn't have ac either in those days. LOL.

We used to go crabbing alot too. The guys would go gigging and floundering as well as surf fishing and us girls would do the crabbing. We would cook on the beach and put all the fish into a big igloo full of ice for cleaning when we got home. In those days we could camp out on the beach and feed the Texas Skeeters!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, yum! you are bringing back such memories. My daddy surf-fished and we, too, built a fire right on the beach. When we went to cook the fish, we put washed seaweed right on top of the coals, the fish on top of that, and let it steam and cook. Best fish ever!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
the condiment queen

Oh my. Those were days!!! Yep! I ate smores without a thought or care in the world! LOL.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

wow I just love all these childhood stories. They are very dear to my heart.

Memories!!!!!

Pooti I love my flounder. Tis the bomb lady. YUMMY!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
the condiment queen

Esther I haven't had flounder in so long. I'm going to have to watch for it at the store and maybe make it for this Friday!