Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
I Just Reamed 2lbs of Key Limes. Help Me Design A Cheesecake!

I've made tons of regular cheesecakes, but only 1 LC and it didn't really taste so great. I think it was the stevia I used that made it weird.

Normally, I do a bain marie method and use a springform pan. I usually use sour cream, 4 pkgs of cream cheese and 4 eggs. My friend just gave me a dozen fresh from her hens yesterday and I'm really egg-cited to use them!

My key lime juice came out to about 3/4c. and I think I can use all of it. I do have liquid splenda (EzSweetz) and granular. I was thinking of doing 1/2c pecans and 1/2c. crushed Hi-Lo cereal with butter and granulated splenda for the crust.

I'm thinking of using the liquid splenda in the cake batter. I do have granular xylitol but to be honest I don't trust hubby to not give any to the dog! I also have granular truvia and granular stevia (ick).

I'll replace the 3Tbs. flour that's called for with Thick It Up. I haven't used it before so am not sure it will work but I think it will.

Does this sound do-able or is there anything that I'm forgetting? Will the liquid splenda work for the batter? I'm open to suggestions.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
The only thing you're forgetting is to send me a piece
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
The only thing you're forgetting is to send me a piece
I could freeze it on a stick and ship it on dry ice!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
And I would eat it lol. Cheesecake is my favorite. And I love key limes. The combo sounds fantastic.

When my mom makes me lc cheesecake, the only difference she makes is using carbquick or almond flour in place of the flour in the recipe, and uses splenda for the sweetener. She usually doesn't use a crust, it really doesn't need one.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPeachy View Post
I've made tons of regular cheesecakes, but only 1 LC and it didn't really taste so great. I think it was the stevia I used that made it weird.

Normally, I do a bain marie method and use a springform pan. I usually use sour cream, 4 pkgs of cream cheese and 4 eggs. My friend just gave me a dozen fresh from her hens yesterday and I'm really egg-cited to use them!

My key lime juice came out to about 3/4c. and I think I can use all of it. I do have liquid splenda (EzSweetz) and granular. I was thinking of doing 1/2c pecans and 1/2c. crushed Hi-Lo cereal with butter and granulated splenda for the crust.

I'm thinking of using the liquid splenda in the cake batter. I do have granular xylitol but to be honest I don't trust hubby to not give any to the dog! I also have granular truvia and granular stevia (ick).

I'll replace the 3Tbs. flour that's called for with Thick It Up. I haven't used it before so am not sure it will work but I think it will.

Does this sound do-able or is there anything that I'm forgetting? Will the liquid splenda work for the batter? I'm open to suggestions.

I would not make a crust. Or, yours would be fine.
I would have no problem using all liquid splenda.
3/4 c. should be fine for flavor.
I don't replace the flour. If I did, I would only use 1/3 the amount of flour.(1T.)
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I do have Carbquik and almond flour, soy flour, coconut flour and flax meal. I've never baked a cheesecake without a crust. The no bake types I've done crustless though.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I would make the LC version of your cheesecake but I would use the key lime juice to make lime curd to put on top of the cake. The lime curd would give such an intense lime flavor, much more than putting the juice in the cake.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I would make the LC version of your cheesecake but I would use the key lime juice to make lime curd to put on top of the cake. The lime curd would give such an intense lime flavor, much more than putting the juice in the cake.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic!
Is there a recipe somewhere? Is this like jam or jelly, or is it something to bake on the top?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I made a blueberry SF cheesecake with SF lemon curd topping for Easter last year, and it was delish!

(I just used the beachgirl cheesecake recipe and poked some blueberries I had in the freezer down into the batter in the pan just before I stuck it in the oven. After it was thoroughly chilled, I made a batch of SF lemon curd and spread that on top, and chilled some more.)

P.S. OP, "curd" is a cooked lemon, sugar and egg yolk mixture that naturally thickens and congeals. Even without real sugar, the yolks make it thicken nicely. If you do a search on this forum for the term "lemon curd," you should come up with several recipes.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Last edited by verbqueen; 03-30-2012 at 08:08 PM..
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
LOL Jessica you beat me to it. Lemon curd is really, really good stuff. Just use the key lime juice instead of the lemon juice. Here's an easy microwave recipe.

Lemon (or Key Lime) Curd
1 cup granular sweetener (or mixture equal to 1 cup sugar)
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sweetener and eggs until smooth. (This is important!) Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars. Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator. It gets thicker after it cools!

I can eat this stuff with a spoon!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
This is from Carolyn's blog.
Lime Curd Tart with Raspberries Carolyn
Lime Curd
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
10 drops stevia extract
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. lime zest
6 tbsp. butter, cut into 6 pieces
Crust
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp. baking powder
dash salt
2 egg whites
2 tbsp. melted butter
24 drops stevia
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups fresh raspberries
For the curd, whisk eggs, egg yolks and erythritol in a medium bowl to combine. Stir in lime juice, lime zest and stevia. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure not to allow the bowl to touch the water). Whisk constantly until mixture thickens and an instant-read thermometer registers curd at about 170-175F. Remove from heat and add butter. Let stand 1 minute and then whisk until blended and smooth. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd, covering completely. Chill completely in refrigerator, at least 4 hours.
For the crust, preheat oven to 250F and grease a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl to combine. Add egg whites, butter, stevia and vanilla and mix until dough comes together. Add a little more almond meal if dough is too sticky to work with. Press dough into bottom of pan and up the sides. Bake 45 minutes, or until set and light brown around edges. Cool completely. Remove sides from pan and place crust on plate. Spread lime curd evenly over baked crust. Top with raspberries.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I also found this recipe.
Cleochatra’s Key Lime Cheesecake

5 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 Cup Xylitol
1/2 cup erythritol
2 Tbsp ThickenThin/Not Sugar
3 eggs
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup Key Lime juice

Crust:
1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
2 Tbsp erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup butter, melted

Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix flour, butter and erythritol. Press in bottom of a 9” springform pan. Place in fridge.

Filling:

Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixer, beat cream cheese with erythritol and xylitol on medium for about one minute. Add ThickenThin until just combined (10-30 seconds). On low, add eggs, one at a time, until just blended. Finally, add sour cream, lime juice and vanilla and beat just until blended (10-30 seconds). Pour into crust. Bake until set, 1 hour 15 minutes-90 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before moving to chill in the refrigerator.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I was just coming to suggest the key lime cheesecake! It's been a winner with my readers. If you don't have ThickenThin/Not Starch, you can sub in a guar or xanthan gum, starting at 1 tsp and seeing how it thickens. Arrowroot and amaranth are also wonderful thickeners. I also have an amazing key lime bar recipe on my site under desserts, or if you PM me, I'll give it to you in PM.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I was just coming to suggest the key lime cheesecake! It's been a winner with my readers. If you don't have ThickenThin/Not Starch, you can sub in a guar or xanthan gum, starting at 1 tsp and seeing how it thickens. Arrowroot and amaranth are also wonderful thickeners. I also have an amazing key lime bar recipe on my site under desserts, or if you PM me, I'll give it to you in PM.
Thanks Cleo! And thank you to all the other posters for the wonderful suggestions! My cheesecake is now chilling in the fridge. I decided to go and get more key limes to do the curd. I live in Podunk, Tenn. so I doubt they will be sold out anytime soon. I'll make the lime curd a separate project which it deserves to be.

Cleo, I read your recipe and appreciate the tip about adding the Thick Thin at the very end of the mixing process. It was a great help, thank you. I used the Dixie Diner Thick It Up and I think it worked. I do have a dog so I didn't want to use the xylitol. I don't trust my husband to remember to Not feed the dog the cheesecake, not even one bite! So I used splenda granular in the crust and Ezsweetz liquid in the batter.

I did taste the batter before I baked it and I think I got the ratios correct on the lime juice verses the sweetener. I wound up with 1 cup juice and used 3/4tsp of EzSweetz. It was a guessing game. The key lime juice was really tart. Who knows what it will transform into once it sits in the fridge for a day or two.

On a side note, I was quite surprised with the actual height/volume of the finished product. I really thought the real sugar would have added something to the volume but it didn't. The eggs did their thing and it looks just like all my other HC cheesecakes! I simply can't wait to taste it. Guess what I'm having for breakfast!

And for a keepsake, I'm rooting some of the seeds from the key limes! I think it'd be awesome to have a key lime tree in the house, and I know that citrus grows true so it should produce in a year or two. The gift that keeps on giving. I love it!

When I cut it tomorrow, I'll post pics.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
something there

I love limes! I had key lime cheesecake today, too. Trees would be so fun!!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I love limes! I had key lime cheesecake today, too. Trees would be so fun!!
Take the seeds and put them on a wet paper towel and slam it into a ziplock, and set it in a sunny window. Check occasionally to see if it needs water but it should be ok. You'll get sprouts in a week or so. Then plant them buggers!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
something there

I live in Colorado. They're doomed before they ever hit the paper towel... I love it here, but Zone 5 is a major bummer for gardening.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Here is what my cheesecake turned out like. It's really tasty and we like it so I guess it's a keeper!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
B-uti-ful!!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I have a key lime tree in my backyard. It produces so many key lime they fall off the tree. I love it, but could never eat all the limes it produces.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote