Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Peanut Flour question

I saw a recipe that uses peanut flour. My question is, can I just sub almond flour for peanut flour? Will it act the same, or is there something special about peanut flour?

Thanks!
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I think peanut flour is finer and heavier than almond flour, so you would probably need to adjust ingredients in a recipe if you were going to sub almond flour for peanut flour. You would probably need less liquid with the almond flour.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
what's the recipe lisa PLEASE?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
peanut flour is also defatted where almond flour is not. Maybe cut a little fat from the recipe. I would probably whirl the almond flour though my magic bullet to try to make it a bit finer. The recipe will probably come out fine, but different than the original!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'm not much of a baker but my peanut flour tastes very peanutty. Whereas the almond flour is more neutral in taste to me. I haven't used my peanut flour that much because I'm not a big peanut fan. I only like the taste of peanuts every now and again in small amounts. But I don't know if the peanut flavor is masked in some recipes or not.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
my peanut flour, from Trader Joes, is indeed defatted. it's VERY powdery, almost like oat fiber is, as opposed to almond meal which is a much more substantial thing.

I think the point of using peanut flour is to cut calories. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there is a substantial difference. if you try to substitite, figure you will have to make a few stabs at the dish to get the texture right, using, say, part almond meal and part oat fiber.

I second tulipsandroses comment about not using the peanut flour much. I was so excited to get it, but I still have most of the pound left a year later. *sigh* I don't find it peanutty enough to justify the carbs, I guess. a quarter cup of the peanut has 8 grams of net carbs (no fiber) while the almond meal is 3 grams net. of course the almond meal has 160 calories vs 110 for the peanut flour.

good luck!

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-29-2012 at 12:21 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
It is one of Ginny's recipes. It is a twinkie using peanut flour.

Last edited by LiRoGe88; 03-29-2012 at 01:56 PM..
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
You're probably going to want to cut the milk back to about 1/4 cup and maybe add 3/4 of yogurt or sour cream. Im going by a different recipe that uses 2 cups of almond flour, so if you are looking to replace all of the peanut flour that's what I would suggest.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
my peanut flour, from Trader Joes, is indeed defatted. it's VERY powdery, almost like oat fiber is, as opposed to almond meal which is a much more substantial thing.

I think the point of using peanut flour is to cut calories. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there is a substantial difference. if you try to substitite, figure you will have to make a few stabs at the dish to get the texture right, using, say, part almond meal and part oat fiber.

I second tulipsandroses comment about not using the peanut flour much. I was so excited to get it, but I still have most of the pound left a year later. *sigh* I don't find it peanutty enough to justify the carbs, I guess. a quarter cup of the peanut has 8 grams of net carbs (no fiber) while the almond meal is 3 grams net. of course the almond meal has 160 calories vs 110 for the peanut flour.

good luck!
My peanut flour is 8 grams of carbs but 4 grams of fiber per 1/4 cup!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote