Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Eggs, organic vs. pastured

I was recently in a new organic food store and was amazed (in a bad way) at the price of 1dz pastured eggs: $6.50!

The store also had organic eggs - $3.50 and I think cage free.

I don't really understand the difference between organic and pastured. Can anyone explain the difference ?

I know someone who raises cage free and she feeds them additional grain so I think I understand the cage free.

Thanks!!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I had to ask my Egg Lady the same question because I was confused as well.

Pastured: Chickens are free to roam the yard and forage for seeds, grit and bugs. Usually supplemented with regular corn- and/or soy-based feed which is not guaranteed to be free of GMO's.

Organic: Chickens are usually free to roam the yard and forage, but are also supplemented with organically certified NON-GMO feed.

Cage Free: Chickens are given roosts to lay their eggs, but are free to wander within the flock. Birds kept this way, are usually de-beaked due to the crowded conditions.

I buy my eggs directly from the farm and those chickens are pastured. I pay $2 a doz. and I keep the money local. When I lived in the city I used to buy cage free until I found out about the de-beaking. Shudder...

HTH

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 03-26-2012 at 08:17 AM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, really, but a chicken egg is a chicken egg is a chicken egg. I would have to see some pretty convincing arguments (backed up with documented test data) to think otherwise.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, really, but a chicken egg is a chicken egg is a chicken egg. I would have to see some pretty convincing arguments (backed up with documented test data) to think otherwise.
I do agree with you on the nutritional aspect...somewhat...

Perhaps this is more of a 'personal choice' argument. Everyone has to make choices based on their personal philosophies regarding food. For many, it's very easy to just go to the store and buy a package of ground beef. For me, I enjoy my relationship with local ranchers and growers. As a matter of fact, when I go to the store, I rarely visit the meat counter because I buy everything local (which not everyone can do.) However, after that whole 'pink slime' thing came out, it just reinforced to me that I'm good with my personal choice.

This is true with eggs as well. I love that I personally know my egg lady and her children and that when I pull into the driveway, I have to honk so that the chickens move out of the way. I know what kind of feed they are being fed, I know what the living conditions and I am intimately aware of how they are 'harvested.' It is important for ME to understand all of this while it may not matter at all to others...and that's just fine for them.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: the4richards
We have chickens. Although I cannot say that there is a nutritional difference, there is definitely a taste difference. The store bought cheepy (he he) eggs taste almost medicinal to me now. I also have a slight egg allergy and organics don't bother me at all. Pastured chicken eggs also look different. The yolks are more orange and the whites are less runny.

Again, I can't say if the "look" difference means anything...but I'll stick with my gals.
the4richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4richards View Post
We have chickens. Although I cannot say that there is a nutritional difference, there is definitely a taste difference. The store bought cheepy (he he) eggs taste almost medicinal to me now. I also have a slight egg allergy and organics don't bother me at all. Pastured chicken eggs also look different. The yolks are more orange and the whites are less runny.

Again, I can't say if the "look" difference means anything...but I'll stick with my gals.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I absolutely LOVE the taste of those dark colored yolks and thick whites.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks for the info. The lady I know that raises chickens feeds them regular chicken feed so its probably GMO. Hers are cage free and I don't think she clips the beaks, but I might as well buy store eggs.

I do enjoy her eggs and the yolks are generally a richer color.

Just another way of trying to eliminate some of the processes GMO stuff from my diet. I really can't afford the ones I saw at the organic food store. Just about fainted when I saw $6.50 for a dozen eggs
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
The omega and vitamin content is different with pastured eggs.

The ethics are going to be different as well in a pastured product vs. conventionally raised and confined.

They add marigold to some conventional brand chicken feed to make the yolks appear more rich in color like you get from a pastured product.

How to Decode Egg Cartons
Free Range vs. Pastured: Chicken and Eggs
The Chicken and Egg Page
scroll 1/4 way down for discussion of vit D content in pastured eggs
Eat Wild - Health Benefits
1/3 down see Free Range Eggs Nutritionally Superior (seems like they are referring to "pastured" to be more accurate)
Eat Wild - Health Benefits
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote