Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Massaged Kale

Yes you read it right.

In yesterday's food section of our local paper was an article about kale. First you remove and discard the stems. It said to then "grab bunches of kale in both hands and squeeze, then rub together... almost like kneading dough" for a couple of minutes. This breaks down the tough cellulose structure and will turn the kale silky. It stated that you can feel it happening and also see it for the leaves will darken and shrink to about half their pre-massaged size. The flavor changes as well.

Then....use it for a salad! If you use a little olive oil and a pinch of salt when you're giving it a rub down, all you'll need afterward is a bit of vinegar or lemon juice for making as a salad. Other items can be added of course.

This can be done with the different varieties and colors of kale.

I found this quite interesting and will give it try next time I buy some. Not necessarily just as a salad but also to saute with bacon like spinach.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
That IS interesting. But of all the greens, the only one I find has a tough cellulose structure is collards. Kale (and other greens) cooks up very tender IMO in 20-30 minutes or so for me. I'm not sure I'd even like them any "silkier" as they might seem mushy/slippery to me. I may try it one time though. Let us know how that turns out when you try it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I think this is for a raw kale salad, not cooked. I will try it, just need to pick me up some kale. I like the idea of breaking the kale down. Sounds like the same idea as when making fermented vegetables, you message the cabbage to release the liquids and break it down before packing it in the crock. Been wanting to try that too.

Thanks!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Ah, I thought this massaging was for cooked OR making a salad. Very curious indeed. I've never eaten kale raw before. I may try a salad with Kale one day and will remember this.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
interesting! for people still low carbing, look up kale before you do this. it has a lot more carbs than you would think for greens! portion control indeed...
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
1C raw kale has 7g carbs and 1g fiber. I would rather get My fiber from veggies anyways. Doesn't seem bad for me.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote