Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Easy Chocolate Candy with Nuts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/763879-easy-chocolate-candy-nuts.html)

CarolynF 03-21-2012 03:09 PM

Easy Chocolate Candy with Nuts

This is soo easy and foolproof..Not induction friendly, though.

1 bar of 85 percent Lindt chocolate
6 Tbs. of coconut oil (I like the unflavored)
12 drops of liquid Splenda or 1/2 cup of dry sweetener (or a mixture)
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1/2 cup of chopped pecans/walnuts or whatever

Put your bar (broken up pieces) and coconut oil in the microwave safe bowl for about a minute. When mostly melted, stir until the chocolate is melted..You can zap it again for 15 seconds if you need to.

Then sweeten to taste and add vanilla and nuts to the bowl of chocolate.

Take a sheet of parchment paper or maybe waxed paper and place in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Pour chocolate mixture into the pan and place in the freezer, making sure it is level. Freeze until hard..Then break up the pieces of candy and keep in a baggie in the freezer.

The Lindt has 22 net carbs, the nuts have 2-3 net carbs. Say 25 carbs for the whole batch. You can get at least 25 nice sized pieces of this pan.

Tilly 03-21-2012 06:17 PM

Well, I like that I have all but the chocolate bar AND that is uses coconut oil. I will definately be trying this one, thanks!

CarolynF 03-21-2012 08:24 PM

...and if you are hankering for a peanut butter "touch", just melt a Tbs. of peanut butter or more in the chocolate mixture...

buttoni 03-21-2012 08:55 PM

I have a similar recipe Carolyn, but mine has much more coconut oil and some cocoa powder in addition to 90% Lindt. I love love LOVE this stuff, frankly!

Barbo 03-21-2012 09:02 PM

Winner Winner

Chocolate for dinner:jumpjoy:

OH my gosh I have all in the pantry and freezer.

Thanks dear Carolyn, this is simplicity itself.

I think of you every day because I have your pancake
recipe on the front of my cupboard right by the Whizzer....
aka V.Mix.

Patlaf 03-21-2012 10:50 PM

Carolyn, you picked a brilliant day to post this recipe. My supermarket has a Buy 2 Get 3 offer on Lindt 85 chocolate bars. Guess what we'll be having for dessert.

Pat

Tilly 03-22-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15515782)
...and if you are hankering for a peanut butter "touch", just melt a Tbs. of peanut butter or more in the chocolate mixture...

aaaaahhhhhhh :yummy: :jumpjoy: :high5:

Brendajm 03-22-2012 03:29 AM

Yum. I wish my supermarket had that sale.

pooticus 03-22-2012 05:47 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

CarolynF 03-22-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 15515835)
I have a similar recipe Carolyn, but mine has much more coconut oil and some cocoa powder in addition to 90% Lindt. I love love LOVE this stuff, frankly!

Peggy: Yup, you could do that too, for sure. This makes a lot and it is not too thick and easy to break up.

Honestly, this is much better than the commercially made chocolate candy with
those tummy irritating SA's..

Mobear 03-23-2012 11:42 AM

Splenda & chocolate

I am definitely making this candy for myself for Easter. Have to be careful, because I really like chocolate. So, I'm only doing it for Easter and other big holidays....maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I do have a question though. I've read several places (including LCF) that chocolate can't be sweetened with splenda (it becomes more bitter). So, for Carolyn and Peggy and anyone else who has made this recipe, is it ok to use EZ-Sweetz? If the 90% Lindt I'm going to use came out anymore bitter, I could not possibly eat it :laugh:

CarolynF 03-23-2012 12:10 PM

Hmmm..I'm not sure the EZ-Sweetz is the same strength as my liquid Splenda, so I would
definitely do a trial and error..Drops/taste/add more to taste. I think with the 85 percent, there is a tad bit of real sugar, so Splenda works great. I'm sure you could use erythritol/Splenda combo if you wanted to.

Ginaaaaaa 03-23-2012 12:24 PM

Oh my goodness Carolyn, Happy Easter!! LOL Looks like the Easter Bunny will be coming after all. I'm going to add some almonds to mine for a remake of my old favorite..hersheys with almonds. Yum

Thank you!!

Tilly 03-23-2012 03:07 PM

Just made this a few minutes ago. YUM! I did add a pinch of powdered Stevia to mine. I like things sweet. And I used roasted unsalted dry toasted pecans pieces from TJ's. So quick and easy. I thought I would be eating the whole recipe but just a couple of pieces were enough. Thank you!!!!!!

CarolynF 03-23-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 15520947)
Oh my goodness Carolyn, Happy Easter!! LOL Looks like the Easter Bunny will be coming after all. I'm going to add some almonds to mine for a remake of my old favorite..hersheys with almonds. Yum

Thank you!!

Now, what kind of almonds are in the real Hershey's...Are they salted?

Ginaaaaaa 03-23-2012 05:00 PM

Hmmm, I'm not really sure, but I buy whole natural almonds and dry roast them in my dehydrator, and don't salt them, so that's what I was going to use. Do you think they should be salted for the candy bars?

Tilly 03-23-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 15521630)
Hmmm, I'm not really sure, but I buy whole natural almonds and dry roast them in my dehydrator, and don't salt them, so that's what I was going to use. Do you think they should be salted for the candy bars?

Wow, so you can roast them yourself? How long and at what temperature? Love these, pop/eat them like chips!!!!

rosethorns 03-23-2012 05:35 PM

Hershey's is also my favorite.

Dry roasted almonds with no salt is how they are.

Great recipe Carolyn Thanks. I can't wait to try this with almonds.

Ginaaaaaa 03-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15521719)
Wow, so you can roast them yourself? How long and at what temperature? Love these, pop/eat them like chips!!!!

I have the Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator, no temp on it, just an on/off switch. I soak the nuts first, then let them dehydrate for about 7 hours or so. Depends on how crunchy you like them.

Thanks for the info Esther. :)

Tilly 03-24-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 15521746)
I have the Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator, no temp on it, just an on/off switch. I soak the nuts first, then let them dehydrate for about 7 hours or so. Depends on how crunchy you like them.. :)

Just curious, why do you soak them first?

Ginaaaaaa 03-24-2012 06:04 AM

It has to do with enzymes contained within the nuts. I'm pretty new at this, but here is an explanation.

Nuts and seeds naturally contain enzyme inhibitors. And by soaking them, you not only release the toxic enzyme inhibitors, but also increase the life and vitality contained within them! The purpose of these enzyme inhibitors is to protect the nut and/or seed until it has what it needs for growing (ex. sunlight, water, soil, etc.). Since the soak water will contain the enzyme inhibitors, and is very acidic to the body, please be sure to rinse your nuts and seeds well after soaking.

graciejean 03-24-2012 06:53 AM

I know you gonna think this is funny,but I can't find the Lindt chocolate,so what can I use?

Ginaaaaaa 03-24-2012 07:28 AM

I would just use another brand 85% chocolate or close to it.

CarolynF 03-24-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybuns (Post 15522722)
I know you gonna think this is funny,but I can't find the Lindt chocolate,so what can I use?

Right..any bar that is 70 percent or above is perfect.

Mobear 03-24-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybuns (Post 15522722)

I live in Ohio and have found them at Giant Eagle which is a major chain in OH and PA and also at Walgreens. If you have either of these check the candy aisle!

graciejean 03-24-2012 12:24 PM

OK ,I have a walgreens,thank you Mobear

Tilly 03-24-2012 03:42 PM

I can find them at WalMart. Not sure how much they are there. I happened to be at a CVS and they were on sale this week at 2 for $3.00 each. Bought 2 and so far made the recipe one time. Just let it melt in your mouth!!!

CarolynF 03-24-2012 07:22 PM

I think my Wallie has them too..but I know Walgreen's has them..Great.

flossie73 03-25-2012 10:37 AM

I made a chocolate bark like this before using both unsalted almonds and with sea salted almonds. The salted ones definitely make a better bar, though both were great.

CarolynF 03-25-2012 12:34 PM

I do think the salted (lightly) ones would be better..Sweet and salty is a great combo, I think.