Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Basic Flax Muffins...(cheap and good) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/763793-basic-flax-muffins-cheap-good.html)

CarolynF 03-21-2012 09:13 AM

Basic Flax Muffins...(cheap and good)

These are very good and extremely reasonable to make. I put in some blueberries this time. Oldie, but a real goodie.

Here is Andi's recipe for Dobie Muffins..These muffins were developed by a lady named Dobie who used to post on this board years ago..

This is the recipe I use to make 12 Dobie muffins.

1 C flax meal
1/2 C protein powder (vanilla whey)
4 TBL oil (canola) or coconut oil or butter
1 C SF vanilla syrup (or flavor of choice)( or water and sweetener)
3 egg, beaten
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Bake @ 350 for 25-30 min (mine: 18-20 minutes)

Using Designer Whey for the protein powder, this is what Mastercook gives per muffin.

Per Serving: 108 Calories; 9g Fat (69.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium.

I count them as 1 carb each.

sylverpenny 03-21-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15513837)
These are very good and extremely reasonable to make. I put in some blueberries this time. Oldie, but a real goodie.

Here is Andi's recipe for Dobie Muffins..These muffins were developed by a lady named Dobie who used to post on this board years ago..

This is the recipe I use to make 12 Dobie muffins.

1 C flax meal
1/2 C protein powder (vanilla whey)
4 TBL oil (canola) or coconut oil or butter
1 C SF vanilla syrup (or flavor of choice)( or water and sweetener)
3 egg, beaten
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Bake @ 350 for 25-30 min (mine: 18-20 minutes)

Using Designer Whey for the protein powder, this is what Mastercook gives per muffin.

Per Serving: 108 Calories; 9g Fat (69.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium.

I count them as 1 carb each.

I love muffins and these sound :yummy: Can I switch out the protein powder for something else? I'm going to have to make these. Maybe add SF ch. chips. :laugh:

Penny

rosethorns 03-21-2012 09:56 AM

Carolyn I'm so glad you put this up 'cause I'm always looking for tthis for newbies that I meet at church.

I didn't use protein powder but everything else is the same. And you can make them different flavors like chocolate roca, blueberry, raspberry.
I use to do it by memory and thats not so good now.

Thanks

LindaSue 03-21-2012 10:33 AM

I remember Dobie Muffins from many years ago but I've never tried the recipe. Esther, what do you use in place of the protein powder?

rosethorns 03-21-2012 10:46 AM

Linda Sue I have to elimate it. I'm ok with that now. When we made alot of these recipes I made them to the recipe. Now I work it out. Especially if it is good.

I can't even use flax or anything dairy anymore or wheat. There's alot .

But there are many new people and I give this recipe to them off the top of my head. Now that Carolyn put it on here again it will be easy for me to get for newbies.

Newbies need your website to get started and I always share it with them. I and many other low carbers love your website.

Years ago I couldn't figure it out but now it's second nature to me.

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 10:49 AM

Are these 12 "normal sized" muffins? Could I do a half batch? I have everything on hand and these sounds great.

LindaSue 03-21-2012 10:52 AM

OK, I see what you meant now, Esther. You don't make this recipe yourself. You just give it to newbies.

So did the original Dobie muffins have whey protein in them or is that how Andi tweaked them? I'd like to try them with the whey. If I'm going to eat something like these as a meal replacement for breakfast, they need to have more protein than I'd get with just flax meal.

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 10:58 AM

Think this might be the original

Quote:

Recipe By : Dobie
Categories: Breads & Things

1/4 cup flax seed -- grind - should make 1/2 cup ground
1/4 cup protein powder
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup artificial sweetener -- splenda is best
1 egg -- beaten
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons banana extract -- or flavor of choice
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute -- gives potassium
1 ounce chopped nuts -- optional
1/2 cup water

Mix the above, let sit for a few minutes to thicken if necessary. Spoon into 6 non-stick (I
spray with pam) muffin tins.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

LindaSue 03-21-2012 11:16 AM

Thanks, Lisa. It looks like the one the Carolyn posted is a double recipe with a few minor tweaks.

CarolynF 03-21-2012 11:20 AM

This does make 12 nice muffins..In the olden days, these were the "go to" muffins for LCers.

I always use the Golden flax cuz it has a milder flavor.

For breakfast, I have one of these with an egg..These muffins are pretty filling due to the flax.

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 11:28 AM

Do these freeze well?

CarolynF 03-21-2012 11:59 AM

I'm sure they do...I just keep mine in a Tupperware container in the fridge and microwave one at about 20 seconds. Dh eats them, too, so they go fast.

rosethorns 03-21-2012 12:22 PM

Yes this so makes 12 nicely. I use to make these for my DH for breakfast and he loved them. All different flavors.

I promote the good way to eat . Flax is good for your body. So with newbies I can actually say I have eaten that. And it was great.

It was our go to .

dansamy 03-21-2012 12:38 PM

What's the cinnamon for? Can I skip that if I want just a plain muffin to make to put maybe cream cheese on?

millergirl1976 03-21-2012 01:23 PM

Yum! I love new bready recipes. Thanks.

rosethorns 03-21-2012 01:29 PM

Yes you can skip the cinnamon. Especially if you want to change flavors.

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 01:37 PM

Just mixed half a batch. They are in the oven. It called for 3 eggs and when I halved it I can't use 1.5 eggs, I went with 1 egg and a little extra oil.

Ann Lytle 03-21-2012 02:19 PM

Just took the Dobie muffins out of the oven, followed the recipe, they didn't raise at all. Used Designer Vanilla Whey, my baking powder is new, just opened it. Also, there was too much batter,filled the cups to the top, had enough left over to make one in the microwave. The flavor is good, I'm a little disappointed. Have no idea what I could have done wrong............................ Ann

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 02:25 PM

I cut it in half and had enough for 6 regular sized muffins. Filled each muffin well a little more than half full. Mine rose ok. I did eat one warm, and I was surprised at how much it stuck to the paper liner, But perhaps after they cool it will come off more cleanly.

CarolynF 03-21-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Lytle (Post 15514885)
Just took the Dobie muffins out of the oven, followed the recipe, they didn't raise at all. Used Designer Vanilla Whey, my baking powder is new, just opened it. Also, there was too much batter,filled the cups to the top, had enough left over to make one in the microwave. The flavor is good, I'm a little disappointed. Have no idea what I could have done wrong............................ Ann

Hmmm..I don't fill mine to the top..maybe 3/4 the way up and they have room to raise. Maybe that was the problem..Most muffin recipes do say not to fill to the top..

CarolynF 03-21-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiRoGe88 (Post 15514903)
I cut it in half and had enough for 6 regular sized muffins. Filled each muffin well a little more than half full. Mine rose ok. I did eat one warm, and I was surprised at how much it stuck to the paper liner, But perhaps after they cool it will come off more cleanly.

AKKK..Sorry to post that I always Pam my muffin papers..I didn't the first time I made these, but I did the second/third time..Makes a huge difference.

Ann Lytle 03-21-2012 03:35 PM

I usually just fill muffins 2/3 full, but there was so much batter, wasn't sure what to do with it............. ; o )................... Ann

CarolynF 03-21-2012 03:41 PM

Wow..maybe your muffin tins are smaller than the ones I use..Hmm...

JustPeachy 03-21-2012 06:03 PM

These were wonderful! I made Carolyns tweaked recipe in the first post tonight.

I've been up to my eyeballs in strawberries here so I subbed the SF vanilla syrup/flavoring for fresh strawberries sweetened with splenda at 1 cup. I already had them in the fridge and just threw them in the food processor for a few whirls. I also used homemade vanilla extract instead of the cinnamon that was called for in the same amount. These were the only changes I made and they turned out really tasty!

I messed myself up by not spraying my paper muffin liners. I'll do that next time for sure! Thanks for the timely posting of this recipe. I'd been wanting something to use flax with and this fitted the bill and then some. Even hubby liked it, so I'll be making again for sure! Yay! :jumpjoy:

LiRoGe88 03-21-2012 06:12 PM

I will spray the muffin papers next time.

What are people's thoughts on subbing a little Almond Flour for some of the flax?

jbatchelor 03-24-2012 10:58 AM

Just made the muffins-used silicon muffin liners-came out perfect-rose perfect-I added blueberries too-I did use sweetzfree and used water--I had been looking for something that would give me a way to incorporate flax and also coconut oil into my diet--this does both--thanks Carolyn for posting this recipe-I used the first recipe btw! it is awesome!

Jeanne

CarolynF 03-24-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks, Jeanne..

northwoods nan 03-28-2012 04:40 PM

I make a version of these every week. I take them to work for a very filling snack or dessert. I make mine with unswtnd coconut and sf choc chips. I use a muffin top pan and spray the snot out of them with pam or use c/o or butter, the choc chips seem to be the culprit for sticking.

LiRoGe88 03-28-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15514988)
AKKK..Sorry to post that I always Pam my muffin papers..I didn't the first time I made these, but I did the second/third time..Makes a huge difference.

The ones I had the day I made them stuck. But the next day the rest of them did not stick to the paper.

CarolynF 04-09-2012 12:39 PM

bumping..