Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Rhubarb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/762605-rhubarb.html)

pinkswan 03-14-2012 10:19 AM

Rhubarb

Does anyone have any good recipes (or interesting ways to fix) for rhubabrb?

tea cup 03-14-2012 10:39 AM

I cook up the rhubarb in a pot, add splenda, and chill. Then I add dollops to my greek yogurt with a few walnuts added. I love rhubarb and this is so simple and good. Would be good with cottage cheese as well.

Soobee 03-14-2012 06:22 PM

I have recipes for rhubarb crisp, rhubarb crumb bars, Barbo's rhubarb dessert, Caroline's rhubarb custard pie, rhubarb clafoutis, Jen's rhubarb chiffon pie, rhubabr sorbet,rhubarb ice cream, rhubarb and strawberry pie and crisp, and rhubarb cobbler. What are you interested in? I will post the recipes.

pinkswan 03-14-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 15495576)
I have recipes for rhubarb crisp, rhubarb crumb bars, Barbo's rhubarb dessert, Caroline's rhubarb custard pie, rhubarb clafoutis, Jen's rhubarb chiffon pie, rhubabr sorbet,rhubarb ice cream, rhubarb and strawberry pie and crisp, and rhubarb cobbler. What are you interested in? I will post the recipes.

Any recipe that will be low carb friendly.

Barbo 03-14-2012 07:50 PM

SooBee you are priceless

Barbo 03-14-2012 08:26 PM

Rhubarb Strawberry Compote

Barbo's Rhubarb Strawberry Compote TNT
Or filling for pie or cobbler

Ingredients:
1 - 1lb. bag of frozen cut up rhubarb (fresh if you have it)
1 - 1lb. bag of frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 large package of sf strawberry gelatin -0-P
1 c. Splenda/Erythritol blend
1 c. water.
1 tbs. cornstarch or other thickener for LC
Place everything into pan and cook just until rhubarb is done
which is about 5-6 minutes from boiling time. Off heat.
Let cool. You can add more sugar sub at this time.

For a fluffy mousse like effect, fold in whipped cream

Barbo 03-14-2012 08:27 PM

Rhubarb Strawberry Compote

Barbo's Rhubarb Strawberry Compote TNT
Or filling for pie or cobbler

Ingredients:
1 - 1lb. bag of frozen cut up rhubarb (fresh if you have it)
1 - 1lb. bag of frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 large package of sf strawberry gelatin -0-P
1 c. Splenda/Erythritol blend
1 c. water.
1 tbs. cornstarch or other thickener for LC
Place everything into pan and cook just until rhubarb is done
which is about 5-6 minutes from boiling time. Off heat.
Let cool. You can add more sugar sub at this time.

For a fluffy mousse like effect, fold in whipped cream

Soobee 03-15-2012 10:13 AM

Pinkswan, they are all low carb. Tell me what you are interested in. I have too many to post them all.

Miss Rae 03-15-2012 10:26 AM

Barbo, what would you use as a topping for your cobbler? I have a yard FULL of rhubarb and would live to be able to make a cobbler. Thanks in advance!

pinkswan 03-15-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 15497197)
Pinkswan, they are all low carb. Tell me what you are interested in. I have too many to post them all.

A pie recipe.

jdcri 03-15-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 15495576)

OMG the crumb bars sound delish!!:D

jbatchelor 03-15-2012 03:37 PM

rhubarb crisp and the rhubarb cobbler is what I hope to see posted--they all sound so good tho!

Soobee 03-16-2012 12:29 PM

Crumb bars.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars Carolyn
Filling

2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup water, plus 2 tsp.
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1/2 tsp. ginger
10 drops stevia extract or more
1 tsp. arrowroot or corn starch
Crust and Topping
2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup granulated erythritol
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into chunks
20 drops stevia extract or more
For the filling, combine rhubarb, strawberries, 1/4 cup water, erythritol and ginger in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture bubbles and fruit is soft enough to be mashed with a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in stevia extract. In a small bowl or cup, dissolve arrowroot starch in remaining 2 tsp. of water. Add to hot filling and stir to combine. Let sit to thicken up. For the crust, preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 inch pan. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, erythritol, xanthan gum and salt. Add butter and stevia extract and cut in with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of mixture into bottom of prepared pan and bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until edges are just golden brown. Spread filling over bottom crust and sprinkle with remaining almond flour mixture. Bake 20 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool in pan.

Soobee 03-16-2012 12:30 PM

Pies.
Creamy Rhubarb Pie Maria
1 1/4 cup erythritol plus 2 tsp. stevia glycerite
1 8 ounce package cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
Pie Shell:
2 Cups Blanched almond flour
4 TBS Erythritol and 1/4 tsp. stevia glycerite
4 TBS butter – melted
Topping:
1/3 cup Erythritol plus 1 tsp stevia glycerite
1/3 cup Blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pie shell, by beating all ingredients together. Pat into a pie pan (using fingers), then place in oven to bake for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, beat 1 cup sweetener, cream cheese, eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in vanilla and salt. Fold in rhubarb. Pour rhubarb mixture into pie shell.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup erythritol. stevia, 1/3 cup blanched almond flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. Remove pie from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F . Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over pie. Return pie to oven and bake until filling is set and crust and topping are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Pie Carolyn
Crust

1 1/4 cup almond meal
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
4 tbsp. butter, melted
Filling
2 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (to firm up filling)
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. non-bitter stevia extract (more if you would like it sweeter).
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine crust ingredients and press evenly on bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crust begins to brown. Increase oven heat to 400F. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries and erythritol. Carefully sprinkle xanthan gum over mixture and stir very well to combine. Spread strawberry rhubarb mixture over crust. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla and stevia extract. Pour evenly over strawberry rhubarb mixture in crust. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350F. Bake for another 30-35 minutes, or until filling is completely set. Let cool in pan.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Kevin
Crust

2/3 c. + 2 T. shortening
1 1/2 c. Carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch
4 T. + 2 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl. Roll out between 2 lightly dusted 9 (WPI) sheets of wax paper.
Filling
2 cup chopped rhubarb
2 cup sliced strawberries
3 eggs
3 T heavy cream
4 T wheat protein isolate
2 cups sweetener equivalent
3/4 t. nutmeg
2 T. butter
Beat slightly eggs and mix together with heavy cream. Stir in sweetener, WPI, and nutmeg and combine well. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries till covered the transfer to bottom crust. Dot filling in pan with butter and cover with top crust and vent. Bake till nicely brown, about 50 - 60 min in a 375 oven.

Soobee 03-16-2012 12:31 PM

Crisps and Cobbler.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Lisa
Filling
1 cups diced rhubarb
1 cups sliced strawberries
teaspoon xanthan gum
cup sugar substitute, I used 1 tbsp. + 2 tsp. Truvia
Topping
cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons oat fiber, or a low carb flour substitute
2 tablespoons sugar substitute, I used 2 1/2 tsp. Truvia
teaspoon cinnamon
dash nutmeg
2 tablespoon butter
Mix together rhubarb, strawberries, sweetener and xanthan gum. Place mixture into small baking dish. Combine pecans, oat fiber, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter then sprinkle over fruit mixture.Bake 35 minutes at 350 degree F. Serve warm topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
Rhubarb Crisp Maria
3/4 cup erythritol
2 tsp. stevia glycerite
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
Topping:
1/3 cup erythritol
1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1/3 cup crushed almonds/pecans/walnuts
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein (or egg white protein)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat sweetener, cream cheese, eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in vanilla and salt. Fold in rhubarb. Pour rhubarb mixture into casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup erythritol and stevia glycerite, 1/3 cup crushed nuts, almond flour, whey and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. Remove rhubarb mixture from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over pie. Return crisp to oven and bake until filling is set and crust and topping are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Kent
1 cup Strawberries
2 cups Rhubarb
2 TBS Splenda, or liquid equivalent
-Topping-
1/3 cup Flax meal
2/3 cup Almond Flour
1/3 cup Coconut flakes, ground or flour
2 TBS Splenda
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
4 TBS Butter
Pinch of salt
Melt butter. Mix strawberries and rhubarb together. Mash a little bit to break down. Add splenda. Put in casserole dish. Mix together flax, almond, and coconut flours. Add splenda, salt, and cinnamon to make a crumbly mixture. Put on top of strawberry rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350F for 30-40 min.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Filling
3 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 tsp. stevia extract
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (optional, firms filling)
Topping
2/3 cup almond meal
1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 tbsp. coconut flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup oats (optional, adds carbs)
1 tsp. stevia extract
2 tbsp. granulated erythritol
5 tbsp. butter, in 1/4 inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, mix together rhubarb, strawberries and stevia. Sprinkle xanthan gum over and mix well. Spread filling in a 8x8 glass casserole dish or baking pan. If using a metal pan, grease bottom and sides prior to spreading the filling. Combine first seven topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread topping evenly over filling. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until filling bubbles up and topping is golden brown. If topping appears to be browning too quickly, cover with foil until filling is done. Remove from oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Rhubarb Cobbler Jimmy
Filling

8 cups of rhubarb cut into 1/2 "-1" chunks
3/4 cup Splenda
3/4 cup Erythritol
1 Tbs. Stevia Supreme Spoonable
2 tsp. xanthan
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbs. cold butter cut up into small pieces
Cobbler
2 cups CarbQuik
1/3 cup Erythritol
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
1/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 pan with butter and put the rhubarb into the greased pan. Mix the CarbQuik, Erythritol, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Toss the rhubarb to spread the sweet mixture around as well as possible Dot the rhubarb with small pieces of butter. Thoroughly mix all of the remaining ingredients (except the butter) in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the rhubarb . Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs.. In another bowl, mix together the egg and cream with a fork and then stir it into the CarbQuik mixture until thoroughly blended. Spoon the dough over the rhubarb mixture, but do NOT smooth the dough with your spoon. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

dianafoot 03-16-2012 01:13 PM

I love, love, love rhubarb, then found out that if you have kidney stones Rhubarb is a major no-no! Boooo!

jbatchelor 03-16-2012 01:19 PM

Soobee--thanks so much--will be doing these when my rhubarb is ready!!!

Pam 03-16-2012 02:51 PM

I LOVE this one:

RHUBARB DESSERT

2 cups diced rhubarb mixed with 1 c. Splenda
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
5 whole eggs
1/2 cup cream mixed with 1 tsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. Splenda

Place diced rhubarb with 1 c. Splenda in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the Splenda is dissolved and the rhubarb has softened.

In mixer, combine all other ingredients, then fold in the rhubarb mixture.

Pour into a greased 8X8 inch pan and cook at 325 for about 45 minutes. The center should spring back at the center when touched.

Cool to room temperature and serve with whipped cream - Yummy!!

Tilly 03-16-2012 04:51 PM

Here are some on this thread. By the time I found them, rhubard season was over. Not going to let that happen again!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...recipes-2.html

Barbo 03-16-2012 07:38 PM

Rhubarb Cheesecake Dessert

My daughter and I love this.

Rhubarb Cheesecake Dessert
Cook:
2cups diced rhubarb mixed with 1 c. Splenda/Erythritol
Sprinkle with 1/2 small pkt. of sf strawberry jello, cool
Save enough out for topping.

Place in food processor:
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
5 whole eggs
1/2 cup cream mixed with 1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. Splenda/Erythritol...or equivalent

Place diced rhubarb with 1 c. Splenda/erythritol in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the Splenda is dissolved and the rhubarb has softened.

In processor combine all other ingredients, and then fold in the cool rhubarb mixture.

Pour into a greased 8X8 inch pan and cook at 325 for about 45 minutes. The center should spring back when touched.

Cool to room temperature and serve with whipped cream - Yummy!!

gello5440 03-16-2012 07:42 PM

Barbo, I don't have a food processor so do you think a ninja would work? I'd love to make this cheesecake rhubarb dessert!

Gail

dmburk 05-28-2013 07:50 AM

O, I want to try some of these recipes!

tofucheez 05-29-2013 05:59 PM

Tomorrow I'm gonna try a rhubarb cobbler using Buttoni's dumplings for the biscuit-y things...

jbatchelor 05-29-2013 08:13 PM

Please share the recipe when you do your dumpling/rhubarb creation!

MindyP 05-30-2013 09:16 AM

Rhubarb Dump Cake

More like a crisp than a cake, but it doesn't get much easier or yummier than this!

Rhubarb Dump Cake

1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (between 3 and 4 cups)
1 cup splenda
1 (3 ounce package) SF strawberry jell-o
1 SF package yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the rhubarb evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the rhubarb, followed by the jell-o, and finally the cake mix. Pour the water and melted butter over the top. Do not stir. Bake for 45 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.

Soobee 05-30-2013 02:25 PM

I used to love those dump cakes. I wonder if we could use Gina's BTF yellow cake recipe instead of the box mix to save carbs.

Mistizoom 06-02-2013 03:21 PM

Here's an awesome rhubarb recipe that I am planning on making with no added sugar (though I haven't yet). It's usually put into a shortbread or graham cracker pie crust, but I like the filling without any crust at all.

Strawberry Rhubarb Mousse

Ingredients:
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1-inch chunks (3 1/2 cups)
Sweetner equivalent to 1 cup sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 pint strawberries, hulled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In 2-quart saucepan, heat rhubarb, sweetner, and 1/4 cup water to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until rhubarb is very tender, about 10 minutes. In food processor, process rhubarb until smooth; return rhubarb to saucepan.

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand 2 minutes to soften.

Mash strawberries in a bowl. Stir softened gelatin, mashed strawberries, and lemon juice into rhubarb; cook 3 minutes.

Pour rhubarb mixture into a bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. (Or place bowl with rhubarb mixture in a large bowl of ice water and stir every 10 minutes until mixture mounds, about 1 hour.)

When rhubarb mixture is ready, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into rhubarb mixture until blended. Spoon mixture serving cups. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight until well chilled and set. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve.

Teresa123 06-02-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16451761)
Here's an awesome rhubarb recipe that I am planning on making with no added sugar (though I haven't yet). It's usually put into a shortbread or graham cracker pie crust, but I like the filling without any crust at all.

Strawberry Rhubarb Mousse

Ingredients:
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1-inch chunks (3 1/2 cups)
Sweetner equivalent to 1 cup sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 pint strawberries, hulled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In 2-quart saucepan, heat rhubarb, sweetner, and 1/4 cup water to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until rhubarb is very tender, about 10 minutes. In food processor, process rhubarb until smooth; return rhubarb to saucepan.

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand 2 minutes to soften.

Mash strawberries in a bowl. Stir softened gelatin, mashed strawberries, and lemon juice into rhubarb; cook 3 minutes.

Pour rhubarb mixture into a bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. (Or place bowl with rhubarb mixture in a large bowl of ice water and stir every 10 minutes until mixture mounds, about 1 hour.)

When rhubarb mixture is ready, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into rhubarb mixture until blended. Spoon mixture serving cups. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight until well chilled and set. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve.

Oh my gosh---I am so going to make this soon! Thanks for posting it!!

dmburk 06-03-2013 06:28 AM

A pic of Barbo's rhubarb cheesecake dessert

1 Attachment(s)
It is very good. My diabetic dad liked it, and my husband, who eats everything, said it was very good.