Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lavash crackers, variations (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/762099-lavash-crackers-variations.html)

gello5440 03-11-2012 11:08 AM

Lavash crackers, variations

I had a pack of Joseph's Lavash that was 2 days past the sell by date so I decided I'd try baking the crackers discussed on this board from the lavash.

I cut parchment larger than a sheet of the lavash then placed it on my jelly roll pan. I melted butter and brushed the lavash with it and spinkled it with pink sea salt. I used my pizza cutter to cut it into cracker size and baked at 325 degrees for about 8 minutes. Cooled on a rack.

While I was waiting for it to cook and buttering the second sheet of lavash, I decided to sprinkle it with cinnamon and some of the stevia/e mix I just bought packets of at Aldi's. Baked that one off and it was goooood.

Next sheet, just butter and some toasted sesame seeds. Also good.

Last sheet - hmmm - I remembered the Nacho Cheddar popcorn seasoning in the cupboard. Butter, sprinkle (kind of heavily cause I love cheesey nachos) and cut into triangles to carry out the nacho theme. Yesss, good! I wish I had added a bit of Linda Sue's taco blend too. I will next time.

Storing these in christmas cookie tins so they'll stay crisp.

Sorry if this is an old idea but it was new to me so I thought I'd share.

Gail

Angeloco 03-11-2012 12:03 PM

Great ideas. I love lavash bread. Our favorite way is to spray with butter flavored spray and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda. Cut small crackers with pizza cutter and dehydrate a few hours until crisp. I took a bag full to dinner last night and ordered a spinach, crabmeat, artichoke dip to eat with them. It came with bread and the rest of the table ate that. Lol I was so happy.

I am going to try your variations next. I buy several bags at a time and keep in the freezer so they don't go bad.

Iwantlessofme 03-11-2012 12:26 PM

Can you just throw them in the freezer or do you have to "prep" them some how? What about using them after freezing?

Barbo 03-11-2012 02:26 PM

I do the same thing with the low carb Flatout Bread and we love the Lavash.
We have some ONO Hawaiian Seasoning, and I sprinkle that on top of the
buttered Lavash and when ready, I place on cooling racks and then I just
break them into random sizes. I fill a cookie tin for the freezer and the rest
I put in seal tight crisper for daily consumption. One cracker is about 6 grams,
after fiber reduction. I don't want to ingest more than 3 grams so we just
figure the math. It's so good with kippers and mustard

I love your idea of cinnamon/sugar sub, on them.

Tilly 03-11-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme (Post 15485448)
Can you just throw them in the freezer or do you have to "prep" them some how? What about using them after freezing?

I just thaw them either in the frig or on the counter. They thaw really, really fast because they are so thin. Texture (at least when I have done this) does not change.

Great ideas on toppings. Hmm, I want to try that popcorn seasoning! Great idea for taking them when going out and ordering a dip. Also, I want to try the dehydrating. I tend to look away when baking them and therefore, burn them. :dunno:

Melloshello 03-11-2012 11:16 PM

If you're in a hurry for lavash crackers, I put an entire piece on a paper towel and put in the microwave for 2 minutes ... take out ... break apart ... and mmm mmm good!

watcher513 03-12-2012 04:20 AM

I spray with PAM then sprinkle on whatever seasonings. 8-10 min. @ 350, then store in an air tight container.

Angeloco 03-12-2012 04:48 AM

I just take frozen ones out and place on counter to thaw. No prepping involved.

I always seem to burn them when I bake in oven. No burning in dehydrator and always evenly crisped up.

NorthernNisse 08-13-2012 07:56 PM

After over 20 years of low carbing, every once in a while a product comes along that changes my low carb life dramatically for the better.

Really good SF candy
SF Hazelnut Cream
Low carb pancakes and SF blueberry syrup
Shiritake noodles
Low carb tortillas were probably the biggest life changer and now the Lavash bread...

and now these crackers made out of the Lavash bread. They are so easy to make and so delicious. I can't wait to try some other flavorings, but the olive oil and sea salt is perfect. To have the crunch and convenience of a cracker for all the fabulous legal dips we can have is a whole new world.

Thank-you to whomever figured this out!!!

For my oven it is 350 degrees for EXACTLY 7 minutes.

sherrymyra 08-13-2012 09:18 PM

Dehydrating them. How long does it take for that? I don't have a dehydrator but have been kind of checking them out.

Dixie Barkley 08-14-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the ideas.

Angeloco 08-16-2012 04:07 AM

I don't dehydrate my crackers anymore. It's much faster in the oven.

Here are some threads on variations on using the Lavash bread. We love it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-question.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ash-bread.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ad-cereal.html

Enjoy!

Lickrish 08-16-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melloshello (Post 15486708)
If you're in a hurry for lavash crackers, I put an entire piece on a paper towel and put in the microwave for 2 minutes ... take out ... break apart ... and mmm mmm good!

Yes they make perfect crackers out of the microwave. Much easier for me. Have to watch closely because burned lavash not so good. lol

NorthernNisse 08-16-2012 05:46 AM

I've been baking mine in the oven. Sometimes I do the whole package at one time and I literally end up with "a box of crackers." I never thought that would happen on low carb! They keep really well.

Next time I just need a few, I will try the microwave. I might try some onion powder. I love the taste of onion.

sherrymyra 08-16-2012 04:27 PM

I usually do the entire pack in one evening. Not in the oven all at once. But I figure may as well make enough.

jerikay 08-17-2012 02:46 PM

Just wondering which Joseph's bread everyone is using-the lowest carb count I could find at Walmart was 10 net carbs per piece. The pita bread is 5 net carbs per pita-I got that and just had some delicious cheese "nachos" with them.

dianafoot 08-19-2012 08:24 AM

I spread a whole lavash bread with about a teaspoon of daVinci's French Vanilla Syrup, then sprinkled it with powdered ginger and cinnamon and some Ideal Brown. Cut into small crackers and baked it at 350 for 8 minutes. Removed all the ones that were crisp and baked the last few for 2 more minutes. Very much like crispy graham crackers. I spread a few with peanut butter and thought I was a kid again!

Tilly 08-19-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 15883070)
I spread a whole lavash bread with about a teaspoon of daVinci's French Vanilla Syrup, then sprinkled it with powdered ginger and cinnamon and some Ideal Brown. Cut into small crackers and baked it at 350 for 8 minutes. Removed all the ones that were crisp and baked the last few for 2 more minutes. Very much like crispy graham crackers. I spread a few with peanut butter and thought I was a kid again!

Yum! Think I will try this one.

Kali88 10-01-2012 06:00 AM

I never cared for the baked Lavash crackers, so I tried deep frying them. WOW! They are so much better! I use a pizza cutter to cut them up in Cheez-it size pieces, deep fry for about 30 seconds at 375 while constantly stirring to get both sides brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with your favorite popcorn salt or seasoning. Yummy! I"ll do the whole pack in a day, but only 1/2 a sheet in the fryer at a time, and then bag them up in individual servings.

The texture/crispiness reminds me of a taco shell bowl, so I will be trying that sometime soon.

dianafoot 10-01-2012 06:35 AM

Just baked another batch of lavash crackers last night--sprayed the lavash with cooking spray, cut into squares, and baked 10 minutes. Then served with cream cheese and my just made hot pepper jelly http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...per-jelly.html MMMMMMMMMM!! :yummy:

froggyx6 10-24-2012 01:25 PM

I just made my first batch. Oh, so, so good!!! :D

Angeloco 04-13-2014 05:49 PM

Does anyone have any new ideas for these? I still love them but have a hard time getting them all crisp. Today I baked them with seasonings for awhile in the oven, cut them up into uniform crackers, and dehydrated for two hours. They were great and all crisp. :)

somethingblue2u 04-16-2014 07:50 AM

I use lavash bread to make pizza. I drizzle olive oil on both sides of the lavash bread. I put it in the oven at 350 for around 7 minutes and it gets very crisp. Then i put a bit of pizza sauce, green pepper, onions, zesty sausage and pepperoni and mozzarella cheese ( i like using the kraft kind with a touch of cream cheese). I then put it back the oven for about 5 minutes. Lavash bread pizza is better than any store bought pizza hands down.

Angeloco 04-18-2014 10:01 AM

Yes. Love making pizza with them. Joseph's lavash bread is just so versatile. From sweet to savory things. I even use it to make manicotti.

millergirl1976 04-18-2014 10:24 AM

I have the pitas- are the lavash different?

Tryinghardtolose 04-19-2014 08:02 PM

I make them savory by brushing with EVOO and then sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. The kind from the green can! I usually add garlic powder too. Soooooo yummy!!!

Angeloco 04-21-2014 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16881176)
I have the pitas- are the lavash different?

Yes they are different. I use both. The pitas mostly for sandwiches and the flatbreads mostly for crackers.

millergirl1976 04-21-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angeloco (Post 16883579)
Yes they are different. I use both. The pitas mostly for sandwiches and the flatbreads mostly for crackers.

Thank you!