Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Bacon left in car overnight...salvagable?

My son unloaded the car last evening after I had grocery shopped at about 6:00 pm. It was 8:00 a.m. when I woke up and discovered the meat was not in the fridge. It was in the upper 30's last night and the bacon was in the trunk of the car in the garage (not a heated garage). It's bacon from the meat counter and not packaged and processed. Opinions...is it safe to cook and consume???
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Refrigerator temperature should be at 40 degrees F or below, to keep foods out of the "danger zone." Keeping foods cold will inhibit bacterial growth.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I would guess almost certainly yes. Remember, humans have been eating bacon long before we invented modern refrigeration. BUT, as always, "if in doubt throw it out". There is no sense in getting sick over a few dollars worth of food.

BTW, did you know that strongly flavored meat sauces such as A1 were initially developed to cover the off taste of less-than-fresh meats?
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'd eat it if it was mine. It's cured and it wasn't in a warm environment.

But that's just me and I'll be DANGED if I'm gonna let BACON go to waste!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Just make sure you cook it thoroughly. That will kill any bacteria that might have grown overnight. It'll be fine.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Thanks guys! Baked all $8.00 of it at once. Seems to taste fine. Thanks for the advice.

Gail
PS: I decided to let my son live.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post
BTW, did you know that strongly flavored meat sauces such as A1 were initially developed to cover the off taste of less-than-fresh meats?
I love fun facts!
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I think almost all strongly flavored spices were used to cover the off smell of not so fresh everything.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
The key to not getting sick from meat is to get the meat to a high enough temperature throughout long enough to kill all of the bacteria and other critters that could make you sick. It really doesn't matter if the meat is "spoiled" as long as it is cooked hot and long enough. The taste is the problem at that point, not the safety, so as long as it still tastes fine and you cooked it thoroughly and handle it properly after cooking, you should have no problems.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post
The key to not getting sick from meat is to get the meat to a high enough temperature throughout long enough to kill all of the bacteria and other critters that could make you sick. It really doesn't matter if the meat is "spoiled" as long as it is cooked hot and long enough. The taste is the problem at that point, not the safety, so as long as it still tastes fine and you cooked it thoroughly and handle it properly after cooking, you should have no problems.
That advice isn't really scientifically accurate. Many pathogens give off toxins that can sicken you. So you may kill the bacteria via cooking to a high temp, but if enough toxins were secreted while the food is in the danger zone, you can still get sick. Many of the toxins are not changed by heating.

There are also new forms of e coli that are resistant to cooking thoroughly.

Bacterial food-borne illness
See Staphylococcus in that link for example.
When Staphylococcus bacteria get into warm food and multiply, they produce a toxin or poison that causes illness. The toxin is not detectable by taste or smell. While the bacteria itself can be killed by temperatures of 120 F, its toxin is heat resistant; therefore, it is important to keep the staph organism from growing.

Foods commonly involved in staphylococcal intoxication include protein foods such as ham, processed meats, tuna, chicken, sandwich fillings, cream fillings, potato and meat salads, custards, milk products and creamed potatoes.

I realize everyone has their own comfort level with this stuff, but I just wanted to point out that even with thorough cooking, you can still end up sick from improperly handled food.

Last edited by brittone2; 03-16-2012 at 07:32 PM..
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote