Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's Breakfast Sausage

I've been making my own breakfast sausage for years and this is how I throw it together. I make my own poultry seasoning from my Dad's recipe and the recipe is on my website if you're interested, but frankly any poultry seasoning will do.

This recipe is Induction friendly. Any ground pork will do, but what I buy pre-ground from the store is labeled “reduced fat” and is so lean, it appears to be center cut loin, hense the addition of bacon grease to the recipe. This is great with breakfast eggs or pancakes, crumbled to make your favorite sausage gravy over a low-carb muffin/biscuit…….but it’s also good used in sausage casseroles.

I highly encourage you to mix up the recipe and cook a little test patty and taste for levels of the various spices and peppers. Everyone’s taste is different and you may prefer more of any or all of them. I like a mild sausage most of the time. You may prefer spicy! Adjust the recipe so future batches will be easy to whip up.

INGREDIENTS:

3 lb. fresh ground pork
3 T. bacon grease
1 T. +1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. ground thyme
1½ tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS: Using either your hands or a fork, blend all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until the spices appear to be uniformly mixed throughout. I like to weigh my patties so I know exactly what I’m eating when go to log my food intake. I measured out exactly 22 2½-oz. balls of meat onto plastic and then formed them into patties onto plastic wrap. I like to do 4 patties to a package. These are large patties and each one is equivalent to two typical patties made from commercial sausage. However you decide to package yours, when wrapping, make sure there is a film of plastic between each patty. That way, after they’re frozen in a gallon ziploc bag, you can pop off just the number you need with the tip of a knife while they are still frozen! Then they defrost pretty quickly in the warm skillet. I store all my homemade sausage recipes in the freezer this way now. Really is convenient. And you will never ever again have any spoil in the refrigerator because it got pushed to the back and you forgot it was even in there. Been there; done that.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 22 patties 2.5oz (raw), which cook up to around 2oz. Each contains:

180.23 calories
14.9 g fat
.38 g carbs, .13 g fiber, .25 g NET CARBS
10.51 g protein
90.45 mg sodium
16% RDA Vitamin B6, 18% B12, 11% iron, 19% niacin, 15% phosphorous, 13.4% riboflavin, 27.7% selenium, 41.3% thamin, 17.14% zinc and 183 mg potassium

Last edited by buttoni; 03-06-2012 at 05:30 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Yay, Peggy is back! Sounds wonderful and I will check out the poultry seasoning. Curious me. Thanks! Wish there was easily-available MSG-free chicken bouillon.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OOOOOOOOOOOOPEGGY!!!!!!!!!!

That looks great! I do one a lot like this Thanks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Yay, Peggy is back! Sounds wonderful and I will check out the poultry seasoning. Curious me. Thanks! Wish there was easily-available MSG-free chicken bouillon.
Not sure what you are looking for Jennifer. I use a low sodium chicken base that is MSG free. It is a paste though, not a powder. Which did you want?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
That sausage sounds great! Does anyone know how to convert the recipe to use a non-pork meat? My mother can't eat pork or she gets sick. I know simply replacing the pork with another meat won't work and that adjuncts must be added to give the same consistency and mouth-feel when cooked, but I'm not sure which ones (perhaps brans?).

I know I keep saying this, but I LOVE this forum!
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Wow! This is great. Thank You! I have to go all the way across town to the Farmers Market that has their own butcher shop to get sausage without sugar. They grind their own meat on spot and I love going there but its across town. Would be nice if I can make my own at home without sugar.

So my favorite thing from there is their hot italian sausage, so could I just add italian seasonings to this recipe?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Harpmaker, I suspect using other meats will render a very different result. You might try 50% veal and 50% ground chicken? All beef just wouldn't be good IMO. I would definitely up the bacon grease a bit, too, to "loosen" it a bit and keep it from getting so hard.

Tulip....This is the Italian sausage recipe I've been making for over 40 years.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 clove minced garlic
¾ tsp. fennel, crushed
1 tsp. oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt

Traditionally this sausage is made with veal and pork, but as veal is so pricey I just use regular 90% lean ground beef. If you have or can get veal easily, GO FOR IT, by all means! Sometimes I use all pork in this recipe. For freezing, I like to carefully lay a sheet of plastic wrap on a sheet pan, extended longer than the pan. I prefer patty shape and set four on the plastic in pan. Then I fold the sides over and ends up and simply accordion the four into a stack, as pictured below. I then place these bundles into a gallon Ziploc bag and freeze.

DIRECTIONS: Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands or a fork. Do not stop mixing until the garlic, parsley and spices are WELL-blended. Shape either into 16 patties or 16 cylindrical link shapes. If you prefer, you can stuff casings, if you have the equipment, but that’s waaaay too much trouble for me. The patties/links will be approx. 2 oz. each. Freeze and use as needed. For ease of defrosting, it’s essential that plastic separate each patty so you can just pop the number you need off a stack (cutting plastic wrap if needed) and cook over medium-high heat to brown These are great with alongside Italian dishes or sometimes I crumbled it up right into Italian casseroles.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Makes 16 patties, each 2 oz. patty contains:

149.3 calories, 11.88g fat, .29g carbs, .14g. fiber, .15 NET CARBS, 9.68g. protein, 36 mg. sodium

Last edited by buttoni; 03-07-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Harpmaker, I suspect using other meats will render a very different result. You might try 50% veal and 50% ground chicken? All beef just wouldn't be good IMO. I would definitely up the bacon grease a bit, too, to "loosen" it a bit and keep it from getting so hard.
Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Another problem is the bacon grease, it's the pork fat that my mother can't handle (she had her gall bladder removed about 45 years ago).

Something I've been playing around with (at least in my head) is using glycerin to increase the moisture content of various recipes that is lost due to ingredient substitution.

Any thoughts on using a harder shortening such as coconut oil in sausage making?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm still new to this substitution stuff, but I'm learning every day.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Harp, I personally wouldn't like coconut oil in sausage. You just have to try and test the "substitution stuff". No other way to know really. And be ready for flops, because they ARE gonna happen. But there are so many folks like your mother with food allergies or sensitivities that there's really just no other way to find out other than to "test the waters" with each recipe until you get it the way you are happy with the result.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Harpmaker, I use chia seeds in my meatloaves and meatballs to make them juicy. The chia seeds retain the moisture, and once cooked, can neither be seen nor tasted.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Thank you for sharing Peggy! I plan to make this for sure.....
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Just made up a batch of ground sausage and it was deelish! I didn't make patties though. My new favorite thing is Impossibly Easy Sausage Pie with ground sausage.

So the first few times I made the sausage pie, no problems. I was using the cheapest brand they had. Don't remember what it was. Then I saw a buy 1 get 1 free special for Jimmy Dean Sausage and bought those. What a mistake! Kicking myself for that. I read the label and it said 1 carb per 2 0z serving, I said ok that's not so bad, however forgot to read the ingredients. I made a sausage pie earlier this week and later that day and for the next few days I was ravenous and bloated. I know its not near TOM so I was wondering what in the world???

I was scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on. Then it dawned on me to check the ingredients on the sausage, sure enough it had MSG. UGH!
I had previously gotten rid of all seasonings and spices I had that contained MSG because I realized they increased my appetite and made me retain water like crazy for days. I won't even buy KFC grilled chicken anymore because of that. It used to be my go to thing when I couldn't cook and just had to pick up fast food.

I'm rambling but just wanted to say thanks for posting this recipe. My sausage pie is in the oven right now and I don't have to worry about nasty MSG!

Sometimes its those little things that make a big difference. I wonder how many people try Atkins or low carb and say well it doesnt work without realizing that if they choose the wrong things like sausage,hot dogs,etc with MSG that could be the real culprit. Hmmm

Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 06-07-2012 at 03:47 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

recipe please????? thank you!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Peggy I can't wait til I can make your Italian Sausage recipe this weekend. It sounds very nice and I have a few zucchini just dying to be zoodles.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Tilly, what recipe are you asking for?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you'll like it, Gello5440. My Dad came up with that recipe and I just can't improve on it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Tilly, what recipe are you asking for?
Impossibly Easy Sausage Pie. I looked online and could not find it. And not sure if this is one that is in low carb friends. Thanks very much.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Tilly

Is this what you are looking for?

IMPOSSIBLE SAUSAGE PIE

1 lb. sausage
1 c. chopped onion
Seasonings to taste
1 c. LC Milk or 1/2 water-1/2 cream
2 eggs
1/2 c. CarbQuick

Brown the sausage and cook the onions. Set Aside
Place eggs, milk or cream in food processor
Add the Carbquick and seasonings and whirl until mixed.

Lay the sausage in a greased casserole dish and pour
the mixture over it.

Bake 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until done.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess so. tulipsandroses said she made it, so I assume it was something with the CarbQuik. Thanks, Barbo. Is that on the box of CarbQuik? (I keep mine in a frig in my basement and forget to look when I go down there for other things.