Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Any salami makers out there?

I ran across a recipe for beef salami in the extreme lo carb cookbook which reminded me that I have been intending to try to make some for quite awhile. I did search here, found someone used the above recipe, and commented that it tasted like dried meatloaf, not exactly what I am going for, .

So I have been looking at various recipes and they all seem to call for "tender quick" or something like it all of which contains sugar. It wouldn't be a massive amount of sugar, the recipe I am looking at is 2 lbs of meat to 2 tbls of the tender quick, which wouldn't be too bad.

But my question is, is the sugar needed for the curing process? Or is it a flavor issue?

Thanks,

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I'm not a professional sausage maker, but my understanding is that the sugar is for sweetness and moisture retention in the final product. Sugar is not a good preservative unless used full strength (like natural honey). If it's diluted much it ferments (microbial action). To truly preserve meats one must use nitrates/nitrites or dry it. Just my $0.02.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
home made sausage

do you happen to have a good to great recipe for home made sausage? patties not with casings..trying to make my own chicken,beef and pork varities with exceptional flavors..for breakfast,dinner whenever..
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Here is a LC summer sausage recipe..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-sausage.html
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs. Binkums
thnx CarolynF..i'll give these a try this weekend
Mrs. Binkums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Here is a recipe from Buttoni (aka Peggy). I have yet to make it but this is what I would use when I am hankering for sausage.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 clove minced garlic
¾ tsp. fennel, crushed
1 tsp. oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
Traditionally this sausage is made with veal and pork, but as veal is so pricey I just use regular 90% lean ground beef. If you have or can get veal easily, GO FOR IT, by all means! Sometimes I use all pork in this recipe. For freezing, I like to carefully lay a sheet of plastic wrap on a sheet pan, extended longer than the pan. I prefer patty shape and set four on the plastic in pan. Then I fold the sides over and ends up and simply accordion the four into a stack, as pictured below. I then place these bundles into a gallon Ziploc bag and freeze.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Actually, that's an Italian sausage recipe. I just posted a separate thread with my BREAKFAST sausage recipe.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Actually, that's an Italian sausage recipe. I just posted a separate thread with my BREAKFAST sausage recipe.
I know this thread says salami, but some were talking about sausage so thought I'd throw this one out there. It sounds just like what I am looking for in a sausage!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I've always thought I would like to make my own sausages of various kinds, but just never did it. It's something that has caught my attention again because I'm currently going through a stage of YEARNING for a decent breakfast sausage! My main problem is that my mother can't eat pork (health issues) and the non-pork sausages available to me locally are outrageously expensive. I'll look into the recipes given on this forum!

I can recommend a book titled "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas" to folks wanting to know more about how sausage is made and how to do it at home. The author also has a website - sausagemaker.c .
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote