Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Extreme Lo-Carb

I have been reading this cookbook (yes, I am that much of a food geek, I read cookbooks ) anyway, it's called:

Extreme Lo-Carb Cuisine by Sharron Long

It has a lot of interesting recipes but many of them call for:

Milk & Egg Protein Powder

I have never used the stuff (nor do I plan to, way too carby for me) but I was wondering if anyone has used it in cooking and what what would be a good sub for it? I am thinking unflavored whey protein..

I looked for a website for the author, couldn't find one, of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I think, most times, the powder you use is a taste preference (or availability). I don't really see any reason why you'd need to use the specific type the author likes.
Unflavored whey will work, imo and ime (in my experience). I've used whey when recipes call for soy or other protein powders without it being a problem
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I think that Sharron Long used to have a website and she was connected with a low carb forum that I used to visit but has long since disappeared. I bought that book too at Half Price Books a few years ago. I'm not sure if I've tried any of the recipes. Did you notice that she puts lemon pepper seasoning in just about everything except the desserts? I bought some once thinking it must be really tasty for her to use it so much. I didn't like it at all and threw it out. It tasted like lemonade mix with pepper added. Yuck! That was the only brand that I could find that didn't have sugar in it though so maybe the sweetened ones taste better.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm not too fond of lemon pepper, either, Linda. They make my mouth pucker up they are so "sour". I've tried several brands over the years and I just find it way to sharp for my taste buds.

Only brand I've ever used I DO like is Victoria Gourmet's "No-Salt Lemon Pepper". But sadly it has a bit of demarera sugar in it, so I use it very seldom. It's a blend of Dehydrated onion, garlic, spices (I guess that's the proprietary part), lemon peel, citric acid, red bell pepper, lemon juice solids, lemon oil, and turmeric. Very subtle flavor and not "sour" at all IMO.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwitch View Post
I have been reading this cookbook (yes, I am that much of a food geek, I read cookbooks ) anyway, it's called:

Extreme Lo-Carb Cuisine by Sharron Long

It has a lot of interesting recipes but many of them call for:

Milk & Egg Protein Powder

I have never used the stuff (nor do I plan to, way too carby for me) but I was wondering if anyone has used it in cooking and what what would be a good sub for it? I am thinking unflavored whey protein..

I looked for a website for the author, couldn't find one, of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Di
They sell the milk and egg protein powder at puritan's pride online. It's listed under sports nutrition, if you are interested. It looks like a regular can of protein powder but the nutritional information might be different. I didn't read that part.

As for carbs 1% for a scoop or around 3 carbs per serving...not bad.

Last edited by Nigel; 03-07-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote