Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I really want one. Will have to wait to get one though. The prices start at $329 on the Sous vide Supreme site.

I have one hesitation though. I'm a bit paranoid about cooking in plastic. But I just read on the Nom Nom Paleo site that there are BPA free vacuum bags that can be purchased so that makes me feel better.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
I got mine at Costco for around $350 and it came with the vacuum sealer and bags. I've been using mine at least once a week. The beauty of it is you can put a cheap cut of beef in it in the morning and have it come out like filet when you get home. And it will be the perfect temp when it comes out. If you want it medium just set the temp of the water to around 131 degrees and it will not overcook.

You can cool the meat after cooking and store it in the fridge or freezer then bring it to temp in the machine and finish it off at a later date. The meat comes out like it was freshly cooked. Not dry or overcooked. You can do all your proteins for the week at one time and not have to wash one pan. Lol!

I'm going to make fresh ricotta this weekend in it. Can you tell I love it?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I got mine at Costco for around $350 and it came with the vacuum sealer and bags. I've been using mine at least once a week. The beauty of it is you can put a cheap cut of beef in it in the morning and have it come out like filet when you get home. And it will be the perfect temp when it comes out. If you want it medium just set the temp of the water to around 131 degrees and it will not overcook.

You can cool the meat after cooking and store it in the fridge or freezer then bring it to temp in the machine and finish it off at a later date. The meat comes out like it was freshly cooked. Not dry or overcooked. You can do all your proteins for the week at one time and not have to wash one pan. Lol!

I'm going to make fresh ricotta this weekend in it. Can you tell I love it?
Wow, I just found out that you can pasturize eggs in it! Also, are there recipes somewhere? Or does it come with them? How did you find out how to make ricotta in it?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
There are tons of recipes on the Web as well as videos. Go to YouTube and search on sous vide. It came with a little cookbook and I bought one too.

My favorite site is svkitchen, google sous vide ricotta and you should find a link for emilysculanryadventures.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I have a question (I just watched a video on this process), it says you drop your meal, meat, vegetables, etc. that are sealed into a pouch, into the Sous Vide to cook. So does that mean I have to purchase a product to seal the food, as well?
I already had a Foodsaver sealer (from Costco). A lot of sites say you can use freezer Zziplock bags. The trick is to get as much air out of the bag so it doesn't float.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I cooked some boneless, skinless chicken breasts this weekend. Chicken was from the from the grocery store (Smart Chicken). Seasoned with s&p and some Tequila-Lime seasoning. Sealed each breast individually and cooked at 147║F for 90 minutes. Cooled and refrigerated for later in the week.

We ate one breast last night, cut up and added to a main-dish salad. I usually avoid chicken breasts because they're too dry (I prefer thighs), but this breast was very moist and yummy.

I wish I could find boneless skin-on breasts or thighs. I know, I can de-bone them myself, but I'm a bit lazy during tax season!
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote