Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
Food processor recommendations?

It seems like a food processor comes in handy for lots of low-carb homemade goodies. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one that is not too high-priced?
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I have a cuisinart 11 cup I love it. I suggest a big bowl size. I got a refurbished one which was much cheaper, I don't remember the cost it was so long ago.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Cuisinart. Had my 11 cup for 20 years, gave it away when my Dad decided I needed a new one - it's a 9 cup, wish I had my 11 cup back again!

If it ever breaks, I'll buy another Cuisinart, no questions asked.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
Ok. Thanks! I'll have to take a look at the Cuisinart. Can you make smaller batches of things even in the large processor? I usually like to make single servings of goodies so I do not eat too much.
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I've had no trouble making anything, but I do have a small one the I prefer to make mayo in, it's a cuisinart blender/processor.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Please look at the feedbacks on Amazon for the new 11-cup Cuisinart. Sure wish I had scrolled through them all. Sure am glad I still have my ancient 35-year-old Braun! My new Cuisinart leaks all over the counter if you put more than 3 cups of any kind of liquid or batter in it (can't figure how it can claim to be 11 cup capacity). It doesn't come with a fine slicing blade so I paid $40 for a second set of blades only to get 1 that I already had, and still no really fine slicing blade. It is cumbersome, only has one speed, the feed tube is so small that you have to chop things really fine to feed them through, thus not being able to get large slices of anything. The dough hook is a joke, can't even handle anything thicker than pancake batter. The cutting/processing blade won't chop almonds finely or evenly -- big pieces left over, rough chop. Of course my old Braun does all these tasks beautifully, I only bought a new processor because the blade holder in my Braun broke and they don't make them any more. What a waste of money!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I own a $39 Ninja. I love it so much I sold my expensive food processor AND my blender. That's all I've ever needed and, frankly, I'm glad for the space I've saved (and the money, too).
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I agree CUISINART

Cuisinart. I've had my 'ancient of days for over 30 years.

No leaky ever. Of course you have to know how much it will
exactly hold. Mistakes are made

If it EVER breaks down in my life time it will be replaced with same.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I don't mean to gainsay anyone's recommendations, but times change. What a company produced 20 or 30 years ago may not be what they are making today. DeWalt used to make high quality tools, but they were bought out by Black&Decker and the quality has dropped considerably. Such is life.

In so many things today I have found that one can't go by brand name alone - one model may be fantastic, but another model by the same maker may be garbage.

Last edited by Harpmaker; 03-03-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post
I don't mean to gainsay anyone's recommendations, but times change. What a company produced 20 or 30 years ago may not be what they are making today. DeWalt used to make high quality tools, but they were bought out by Black&Decker and the quality has dropped considerably. Such is life.

In so many things today I have found that one can't go by brand name alone - one model may be fantastic, but another model by the same maker may be garbage.
I totally agree. I bought Cuisinart because of their past reputation. That doesn't tell the whole story, though, since companies are regularly bought out by other companies, and the quality of products under the same brand name can change considerably. BTW, this is the second Cuisinart appliance I have bought in two years, the first being a highly recommended coffee maker, that has proven unworthy of its former name. (The coffeemakers got recalled because many of them shorted out and caught on fire.) It's hit or miss sometimes, since brand names no longer mean what they used to...
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Many appliances are crap nowawdays, Harpmaker. I agree with your summation. I know people who view appliances now as things you just dispose of in short order. They don't make appliances the way they used to. I had my first blender for 20 years. My second and third blenders lasted a week each.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
May I suggest that those recommending appliances not only give the brand name, but also the model number and approximate age of the unit? Those that are more than 10 years old probably aren't being made anymore, but newer models might be and could well be worth tracking down. Also, even the older machines might still be available used on sites like ebay.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Definitely ebay is your friend. There are many times that an older (read better/more well made) model of a product (Cuisinart FP's especially) are listed. You'd be surprised how many were just sitting in someone's garage or storage for years and if not new, fairly new and hardly used.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I had and wore out 3 cuisinart's and especially loved the first one 20 somethings years ago when it was a major investment. The other two not so much-stuff broke and I could work the last one only with help. I researched and bought the kitchenAid 7??? with the small inside bowl per Cook's Illustrated and Consumer Reports (at that time-2010) I have really loved it. It chops so much better than the 3 cuisinarts and all else about the same except I love the small bowl feature that sits inside big bowl. You don't dirty both most of the time. Just my opinion tho.

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Over the years, I've lived with the following food processors:
a. the original cuisinart: $99 in 1984; it worked great, but was fussy to clean. My ex took it with him after the divorce
b. a newer, fancier cuisinart: $200 in 2005; piece of junk; broke quickly
c. a cheapo hamilton beach: $35 in 1998; worked great for 14 years, then a student volunteer broke it by dropping it on the floor.
d. a kitchenaid my husband bought: $150 in 2011; works ok but terrible design--food gets stuck in annoying places that are impossible to clear.

So, for me, the cheapest one has been the best. I find the reviews on amazon very helpful for these sorts of appliances. If I were buying another one now, I'd get a hamilton beach. Cheap, durable, smart design.

Last edited by tiva; 03-06-2012 at 06:31 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
I have the same Kitchen Aid model with the small bowl inside. You can choose which size to use. I also had a Cuisinart years ago. It work good - I just didn't like the 'shoot' either.

I wish the KA had attachment to shred in the little bowl. Got it on QVC and it came with some additional blades and a holder. Oh yeah, on the 3 pay plan.

I have a cheapo blender, however, don't use it that much. Thinking about Ninja or some such --- when it comes on 3 pay plan. LOL

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote