Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   How do I make my chocolate bark creamier? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/760331-how-do-i-make-my-chocolate-bark-creamier.html)

Oregon Transplant 02-29-2012 05:48 PM

How do I make my chocolate bark creamier?

I love being able to make chocolate without maltitol, but, it's not very creamy. I don't enjoy the greasy mouth-feel. I'm mixing coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a blend of sweeteners. What can I add to improve the texture?

sistertzu 02-29-2012 05:53 PM

Are you freezing it? How about trying a nut butter, protein powder, unsweetened coconut, ground flax. I kind of like the greasiness.

sailorswife 02-29-2012 07:46 PM

Adding 2 T. of HWC helps with the greasy part, and adding 2 T. oat fiber will help it not melt so fast.

Tilly 03-02-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant (Post 15456110)
I love being able to make chocolate without maltitol, but, it's not very creamy. I don't enjoy the greasy mouth-feel. I'm mixing coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a blend of sweeteners. What can I add to improve the texture?

Can you post your recipe?

Oregon Transplant 03-02-2012 09:05 PM

My recipe:

6 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS cocoa
liquid Splenda/Truvia to taste
1 tsp. mint extract

northwoods nan 03-02-2012 09:23 PM

I like a bit of peanut butter in mine.

Oregon Transplant 03-03-2012 09:46 AM

sailorswife- Thanks for the tip, that did the trick. I also put it in the fridge instead of the freezer.

northwoods nan- I'll be adding PB for the next batch. I wanted to keep the carbs as low as possible this time. I've also read almond butter is good.

becky123abc 03-03-2012 09:49 AM

I like coconut flakes & almond butter...but that leads to portion control with me...

:::::::::sigh:::::::::Just about EVERYTHING leads to portion control with me...

Tilly 03-03-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky123abc (Post 15463458)
I like coconut flakes & almond butter...but that leads to portion control with me...

:::::::::sigh:::::::::Just about EVERYTHING leads to portion control with me...

same here, :console:

Dottie 03-04-2012 09:46 AM

I wonder: if you whip it before it sets up if it might not have a creamer mouth feel?

metqa 03-04-2012 10:22 AM

It's basically an alkalized powder in a fat, it's not going to be creamy unless you add something like cream to it, or something with a less viscous mouthfeel like peanut butter. It's like bitter dark chocolate, there is nothing to give smoothness. Some people try adding gums but they only work by absorbing water and creating the sensation so you'd only have amore grainy product. Try adding cream to it. I'm considering my next batch using part coconut oil and part ghee since they both solidify, but ghee is softer at the same temperature and has a different texture when chilled, and tastes awesome anyway. I often drizzle both bark and melted ghee on my ice cream to form a magic shell.

Oregon Transplant 03-04-2012 11:24 AM

Metga, thank you! I'll be adding peanut or almond butter to my next batch. I'm really just looking for a way to get my coconut oil in each day, not a straight substitute for chocolate. Yes, it's nice that it's chocolate flavor, but I realize the limitations of this recipe. The HWC helped considerably in my last batch. Check in and let us know how the addition of ghee works if you try it.

metqa 03-04-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

I'm really just looking for a way to get my coconut oil in each day
Do you use cooking oil each day? for example for frying eggs or breakfast foods, or frying veggies or baking?

From the Baking Section of the craft store, I got some plastic containers that look like mini picnic ketchup bottles with a cap. I put my coconut oils and my olive oil in those and keep them near the stove. When I need oil, I just grab the bottle, pull off the lid and squirt a bit directly into the pan, or if I need to measure, into the spoon. Once I took some butter and whipped blended it with semi solid coconut oil and chilled it and cut it into my own buttery-coconut oil sticks. I wrapped it with waxed paper, and used it like butter.

wyterayven 03-23-2013 09:34 PM

Not sure how old this thread is...so may be way out of date.

But have you tried using unrefined cocoa butter instead of coconut oil? No carbs, smells like chocolate.

lterry913 03-24-2013 10:46 AM

I just add butter ,a lil hwc , cocoa and sweetener to my coconut oil to give it a creamier texture...if you mix anything with coconut oil you have to make sure it is not too hot or the mixture will separate leaving you with an oil slick on top..tastes the same but looks weird.
I find mixing it in my magic bullet blender cools it and makes it creamier also...I just pour in melted ingredients, blend and pour into mini muffin tin the cool in freezer. After it is set I move it to the fridge. Good luck.

lterry913 03-24-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorswife (Post 15456433)
Adding 2 T. of HWC helps with the greasy part, and adding 2 T. oat fiber will help it not melt so fast.

How much coconut oil are you starting out with? I would like to try adding the oat fiber...would probably aid in appetite suppression for me.

sailorswife 03-24-2013 02:30 PM

1/2 C. coconut oil, 1/4 C. cocoa, 1/4 C. ground erythritol, 2 drops liquid splenda (or to taste, don't like it super sweet) 2 T. each HWC and oat fiber. Then add nuts, nut butter, unsweetened coconut, flavored oils or extracts...whatever strikes your fancy!

MSS726 03-24-2013 02:56 PM

OK, dumb question, but what is HWC?

wyterayven 03-24-2013 02:58 PM

HWC= Heavy Whipping Cream

Heidinem 03-25-2013 05:40 AM

MCT oil added to bark recipes makes it like fudge or frosting. Too good!