Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Homemade Truvia?

I LOVE Truvia, but not the price.

I was reading Maria's Healthy Blog. She recommends using 1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup Truvia

What form of Stevia should I use? I have liquid and the packets.

I also know that she sometimes recommends using stevia glycerite, but as it is thick, how would you mix it with the erthrythritol?

I just want to make a batch to refill my store container of Truvia with the homemade mix. Any suggestions?
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Powdered stevia. I'm not a big fan of the stevia glycerite anyway it will be clumpy.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
The recipe I got at Healthy Indulfences was 1 cup erythitol and 1/2 teas nu naturals stevia
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I found something out about Truvia that might be of interest here. It seems the main sweetening agent in it is Rebiana.

From Wikipedia:
Rebiana is the trade name for high-purity rebaudioside A, a Steviol glycoside which when used as a non-nutritive sweetener is 200 times sweeter than sugar. It is the primary source of sweetness in the Truvia sweetener brand. According to the Truvia website, Rebiana is derived from Stevia leaves by steeping them in water. The Guardian newspaper provides an alternative view of this claim - "In fact, Coca Cola's patent describes a 42-step procedure to derive Rebiana from the stevia leaves, using such country chemicals as acetone, methanol, acetonitrile, isopropanol, tert-butanol and "mixtures thereof". Whether Truvia can truly be classed "natural" seems, at the least, semantic." Cargill has filed patents which give it exclusive rights to sell Rebiana in beverages.
Rebiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Truvia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found an excellent blog telling how to make your own Truvia (healthyindulgences).

The actual recipe is below.

Homemade "Truvia" Sweetener

Makes 1/4 cup sweetener substitute

1/8 teaspoon good tasting stevia extract (I use NuNaturals pure white stevia extract)
1/4 cup erythritol

Add ingredients to plastic baggie. Shake baggie well to mix sweeteners. To replace 1 cup of Truvia, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pure stevia extract with 1 cup erythritol. Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------
And now... the fun part! Here's the cost of my homemade substitute compared to the cost of Truvia:

With a 1-oz container of pure stevia extract, you could sweeten 43.75 cups of homemade Truvia at $0.19 cents per cup. With a 5-lb bag of erythritol, you could sweeten 11.83 cups of Truvia at $2.67 per cup.
Adding the costs per cup, 1 cup of homemade Truvia costs $2.86 per cup. 1 cup of Truvia at $6.99 per 9.8 ounce container costs $5.59 per cup. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, huh?
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Thanks. I have everything here at home... Time to mix!
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote