Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Cornish Game Hens!!

I just bought a boat load! They were on sale for 69 cents per pound!!

Tonight's dinner is just a spicy rub that I like and roasted in my cast iron skillet but I'm gonna need some other ideas to use up all this chicken.

Thanks!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Tandoori Cornish Hens

Though this particular batch was made with regular cut-up chicken pieces, I do this often with cornish hens. It's very good!

I love tandoori chicken so much and there are so many recipes out there for the spice blends for it, I never tire of trying new ones! This one is my latest experiment. It was a recipe I found a long time ago and finally got around to making it, with a couple of modifications. If you bake this recipe in your oven, rather than grilling over charcoal, I like to put some sliced onions in the bottom of the pan with some olive oil the last half hour of baking and deglazed the pan brown bits with some water over stovetop burner on low for a nice sauce. This can also be done with regular cut-up chicken pieces or just wings (which will cook much faster!). This recipe is not Induction friendly if you use yogurt. Using sour cream, you could probably have this on Induction since much of it doesn’t get consumed.

INGREDIENTS:

2 Cornish hens (about 1¼ lb. each) or 8 cut pieces of chicken
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. salt (optional, but it is included in stats below)
Pinch black pepper
1 T. fresh lime juice
½ c. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 large clove minced garlic
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
¼ medium onion, chopped
½ tsp. cumin seed (or ¼ tsp. ground)
½ tsp. ground turmeric
1-2 drops red food coloring (optional, but traditional)

DIRECTIONS: Split the Cornish hens into halves or cut up 4 of your desired whole chicken pieces. You can skin the chicken if you like, but I never do. I LIKE the skin! Poke holes randomly in the skin, piercing through into the flesh as well. Mix salt, pepper and cayenne with lime juice and rub onto the pieces of meat. Set aside while you do the next step.

In a blender or food processor, puree the yogurt, garlic, ginger, onion, and remaining spices. Spoon into gallon ziploc bag and add hen quarters. Zip bag and mix to coat meat pieces by manipulating with your hands. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours, manipulating occasionally during this period.

Tandoori Chicken, in India, is cooked in a Tandoori clay oven, which I certainly do not have. However a medium-hot charcoal fire will do nicely. But if neither is available, preheat your indoor oven to 400º. Place hen quarters skin up onto grill surface or on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush or spoon the yogurt marinate evenly over the pieces of meat. Depending on your charcoal fire, distance from coals to meat, or your oven accuracy, size of birds…….these hens will take about 45 minutes to an hour to get done. Test the thigh joints for doneness. Juices should be clear and not pink at all. Or insert meat thermometer into thigh and breast and it is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 180º.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 4, each serving contains:
381 calories
23.4 g fat
9.2 g carbs
.4 g fiber
8.8 g NET CARBS
31.83 g protein
377 mg sodium
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Thanks Buttoni! Your chicken looks scrumptious! I need to get some yogurt to do this.
We are under a tornado watch until late afternoon tomorrow so hopefully weather permits tomorrow so I can get some.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I like to butterfly them and grill them under a brick after marinating them is a asian soy marinade. My family just loves them! Or roast just like a chicken, lemon pepper works really well.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Another Pic of the Tandoori recipe above:

Here's a pic of the above Tandoori recipe done with Cornish hens. Had to hunt it down in my pic archive on my site, because I had deleted the pic so as to be able to post the recipe on a Paleo site. Those folks won't eat food colorings.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote