Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
old style southern barbecue, here we come!

In the 1950's, my granddaddy had a barbecue restaurant that was renown in the US Southeast. He cooked whole pigs all day and night over a slow burning hickory fire in his cinder-block smokehouse behind his restaurant, then spent hours shredding and chopping the meat, seasoning it with his own special vinegar and hot pepper sauce, and making "cracklin' bread" (cornbread pancakes with pork cracklings and whole corn kernels) and the best Brunswick stew I've ever had. As a kid, I rode my horse over to the barbecue place every Saturday, tied her up and had "the works with lots of slaw" and an Orange Crush.

I have tried for years to find barbecue that would match what he made, visiting every barbecue restaurant in the state. Much to my surprise, America's Test Kitchen analyzed all of the components of great Southern barbecue and came up with the best alternative I have ever found to "Pop's" barbecue! And to boot, you can make it indoors!

recipe:
Oven Barbecued Pork based on this recipe:
americastestkitchen Southern Fare Reinvented

5 lb boneless Pork butt
Cut horizontally to make two pieces

make a brine with:
Liquid smoke
4 qt water
1 c salt
½ c sugar (I use xylitol here)
3 tbs liquid smoke

Brine pork 2 hours
Pat dry

slather all over with this wet rub:
¼ cup mustard
2 tsp liquid smoke

Pat all over with this dry Rub:
2 tb black pepper
2 tb sugar (xylitol again)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
2 tbs smoked paprika (the smoked paprika gives it a wonderful flavor!)

Place on wire rack on rimmed baking sheet lined with foil
Put a piece of parchment paper on top, then cover and wrap pan tightly with foil in order to trap steam.

Bake at 325o for 3 hours

Uncover and remove meat to a separate plate. Tent loosely with a piece of aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes

note: the original recipe has an extra step, roasting the meat uncovered for another hour or two. I have found that the meat is so tender and delicious that this point, I skip this step, as I do not want to risk drying it out.

Once the meat has rested, shred it with two forks, pulling in opposite directions. Then chop it across the shreds, using a sharp knife.

Lexington style sauce
Ingredients
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup no sugar ketchup
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons sugar alternative (I used half xylitol and half erythritol)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Mix the sauce ingredients and dress the meat with as much as you like. Pass the rest around to put on the meat to taste.

Last edited by dianafoot; 02-26-2012 at 04:41 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

note: the buns are made with kevinpa's final flour mix. I just took a cup of that, added a Tablespoon of non-instant dry milk, 2 tsp bread yeast, a tsp of sugar, and 1 tsp salt. I mixed it with water to get a workable dough and divided it into four balls which I rolled in sesame seeds and put into a muffin top pan. I let it rise for about 20 minutes, then baked it at 350 for about 12-15 minutes. These were amazing rolls at about 4 net carbs per roll!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
IT looks beautiful Diana!!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
thanks so much for sharing your recipe-it sounds awesome---I am going to try this for sure! Is this recipe for the whole 5 lbs or half-? sorry for the confusion since you said it was cut into two pieces?

The buns look amazing-thought they were from the store!! now to find Kevin's final flour mix.
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
How gorgeous lady!!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
YUM YUM I'm salivating!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
thanks so much for sharing your recipe-it sounds awesome---I am going to try this for sure! Is this recipe for the whole 5 lbs or half-? sorry for the confusion since you said it was cut into two pieces?

The buns look amazing-thought they were from the store!! now to find Kevin's final flour mix.
the recipe is for a whole 4-5 piece of pork butt, They just suggested slicing it in half lengthwise to get the brining to permeate all of the meat.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

this is the base for the bun I made. This is the best flour alternative I have ever tried, thanks to Kevinpa, who worked tirelessly on these recipes and flour mixes.

8 cup LC Bread flour mix recipe

4 cup carbalose
2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
3 Tbs not/Sugar

I used 1 cup of this flour mix, 2 tsp bread machine yeast, 2 tbs non-instant dried milk, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Mix it all together, knead until elastic, then divide into four pieces roll each piece into a ball, roll over some sesame seeds, and put each ball in a section of your muffin-top pan and flatten a little to fit the depression. let rise about 20 minutes and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until brown and done in the center.

Last edited by dianafoot; 02-26-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Thank you for sharing!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
this is the base for the bun I made. This is the best flour alternative I have ever tried, thanks to Kevinpa, who worked tirelessly on these recipes and flour mixes.

4 cup carbalose
3/4 cup almond flour
3 Tbs not/Sugar

I used 1 cup of this flour mix, 2 tsp bread machine yeast, 2 tbs non-instant dried milk, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Mix it all together, knead until elastic, then divide into four pieces roll each piece into a ball, roll over some sesame seeds, and put each ball in a section of your muffin-top pan and flatten a little to fit the depression. let rise about 20 minutes and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until brown and done in the center.

Can I use wheat starch instead of corn?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
What a great post. I actually tried the Americas Kitchen recipe over 2yrs ago and even though it made a spicy crust on the pork and the meat turned out tender, I thought it was lacking. It didn't really measure up to the hickory smoked flavor that permeates the meat (evidence the "pink ring") and can only be gotten from actually slow smoking meat in a pit for 12+hrs. It's doable if you only have an oven and are craving BBQ but not quite like to the real thing. I guess my problem was that I was raised on real Southern style BBQ.

I'm just waiting for the weather to clear here. I have two Boston butts in my freezer and the hickory is out back, stacked and seasoned. Hubby bought me a smoker for my b-day back in Nov. but I haven't really been able to fire it up because of all the rain we've had. Some of this pork is slated for Brunswick stew sans potatoes of course! I can't really tell what I'm dying for the most right now, BBQ or Brunswick Stew...or both! I just need to tweak the sauce to omit the sugar/fruit juice! Uuunnnngggghhhhh!
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
I'm not surprised to find out that ATK's oven recipe is good--am very surprised that it's as good as you found it. That's nice to know!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Can I use wheat starch instead of corn?
I have some resistant wheat starch, but haven't tried it yet. Kevinpa used it for awhile, especially in his pie crust flour, but he went over to RCS after a bit. I think they are interchangeable.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
You are very generous Diana

to share this wonderful recipe. Your bun looks professionally made
in the picture. Truly a masterpiece of pig.

Tomorrow we get the ads. Hoping Stater Bros. has a sale on
pork. My DH would love to wrap his lips around this sandwich
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have some resistant wheat starch, but haven't tried it yet. Kevinpa used it for awhile, especially in his pie crust flour, but he went over to RCS after a bit. I think they are interchangeable.
Actually, the recipes with corn starch behave very differently with regard to rise than the ones with the wheat starch. With wheat starch, the dough rises more slowly, but I can sometimes get "monster" rises if I want (maybe more than 3 times the original size), and even though in those extreme cases the dough is shimmying ominously like jello as I place it in the oven, it bakes and cools without falling. However, those breads never enjoy a significant oven rise (usually none at all).

With corn starch, on the other hand, the dough usually rises faster, and if you ever let the rise get completely out of control (as I did once), you will not be able to eat the result (it will end up falling like regular hc bread does when it over-rises). However if you put it in the oven when it's risen just right (Kevin said he thought that was a little less than double for his final, corn starch-based loaf), those breads should get a substantial rise in the oven (more like hc breads).

By the way, that's a nice looking sesame seed bun in the picture. Does it taste as much like a soft hc sandwhich roll as it looks?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, CreekWatcher, that is great information! I will break out my resistant wheat starch and give bread a try with that and compare the two.

The sesame seed buns in the picture taste very much like high carb buns. The one thing I haven't gotten just like I want yet, is the rise. They are not as "fluffy" as, say, Bunny Buns, although they have a fine texture and they have none of that spongy chew of many high carb breads. I think I will try using RWS and letting them rise a good while and see if I can get them even lighter. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow, CreekWatcher, that is great information! I will break out my resistant wheat starch and give bread a try with that and compare the two.

The sesame seed buns in the picture taste very much like high carb buns. The one thing I haven't gotten just like I want yet, is the rise. They are not as "fluffy" as, say, Bunny Buns, although they have a fine texture and they have none of that spongy chew of many high carb breads. I think I will try using RWS and letting them rise a good while and see if I can get them even lighter. Thanks for the info!
Would you let us know how these turn out? And if any good with the wheat starch, how you modified it? I don't have the corn, I have the wheat starch mix of kevin's. Thank you very much.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Actually, the recipes with corn starch behave very differently with regard to rise than the ones with the wheat starch. With wheat starch, the dough rises more slowly, but I can sometimes get "monster" rises if I want (maybe more than 3 times the original size), and even though in those extreme cases the dough is shimmying ominously like jello as I place it in the oven, it bakes and cools without falling. However, those breads never enjoy a significant oven rise (usually none at all).

With corn starch, on the other hand, the dough usually rises faster, and if you ever let the rise get completely out of control (as I did once), you will not be able to eat the result (it will end up falling like regular hc bread does when it over-rises). However if you put it in the oven when it's risen just right (Kevin said he thought that was a little less than double for his final, corn starch-based loaf), those breads should get a substantial rise in the oven (more like hc breads).

By the way, that's a nice looking sesame seed bun in the picture. Does it taste as much like a soft hc sandwhich roll as it looks?
And where have you been hiding with this information?
Thank you so much for this info.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Actually I've posted on this stuff before. In fact, I was thinking some people might be reading this, rolling their eyes, thinking, "there that nerd goes again..."
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
So between the two it is a matter of timing the rise? Would you get the same result, taste-wise?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

okay, I made a batch of rolls last night with RWS. I first had to make a new batch of Kevin's flour with his old recipe that used RWS, since I had a batch already made up using RCS. What a huge flop! The rolls never rose at all and came out like hockey pucks!

Then I tried a batch with the RCS flour, just because I needed some bread, and realized while making them that I had not added any sugar for the yeasties to the first batch. so I did that, and the second batch did not rise either. I could at least use these for door stops!
Tonight I will proof my yeast and see if that is a problem. It is the same yeast I have been using for the past week (a new jar of bread machine yeast). Something's going on! Anyhow, I'll make sure everything's bubbling and make two new batches tonight if I'm not too tired after working from 7am-6pm. I'm on a mission now!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Actually I've posted on this stuff before. In fact, I was thinking some people might be reading this, rolling their eyes, thinking, "there that nerd goes again..."
I have been on this board for years and years, and I still miss a lot. You can't post good info too many times, IMHO! Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for your research. Ya know, I am in need of a door stop.
I think we have all had those results at one time or another, I know I sure have! As for repeating information. I have only been here for a year (or less) and find new/old information all the time.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwillsucceed10
Quote:

4 cup carbalose
3/4 cup almond flour
3 Tbs not/Sugar

Thanks so much for listing this. But I have a question....since not/Sugar is no longer available, what would you suggest I use in place of it? Thanks
Iwillsucceed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

okay this must be a jinxed week somehow. I proofed the yeast and it bubbled up just fine. I made a lovely dough with Kevinpa's flour blend (RWS this time). The buns rose up very nicely like they have been doing for me for weeks, now. Then at the last minute, I criss-crossed them with a razor-sharp knife like I have done many times before, and they deflated like punctured balloons! More hockey pucks, but a little bit lighter this time. Am I getting the makings for a ton of bread crumbs here? Do you all think that maybe the impending tornadoes have something to do with falling bread??

Last edited by dianafoot; 02-29-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
So between the two it is a matter of timing the rise? Would you get the same result, taste-wise?
With the corn starch dough, it's a matter of not losing sight of it for too long; with the wheat starch you can relax--except in cases like dianafoot just had where there's barely any rise ever, then there's extended low level tension followed by defeat (which I've experienced a number of times). The degree of rise in the finished product can be the same either way, although the way each rises is different. In terms of Kevin's breads, with a good, "normal" rise (not the huge rise I talked about before), his (wheat starch) "pita" rolls have a nicely chewy crust, with a texture that's more like french bread than any other lc kind (although no lc bread is very much like french). His corn starch loaf bread comes out softer, and more similar to "american" loaf bread...I'd choose the latter as having an even finer flavor, but I think they each have their own virtues.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
okay this must be a jinxed week somehow. I proofed the yeast and it bubbled up just fine. I made a lovely dough with Kevinpa's flour blend (RWS this time). The buns rose up very nicely like they have been doing for me for weeks, now. Then at the last minute, I criss-crossed them with a razor-sharp knife like I have done many times before, and they deflated like punctured balloons! More hockey pucks, but a little bit lighter this time. Am I getting the makings for a ton of bread crumbs here? Do you all think that maybe the impending tornadoes have something to do with falling bread??
Guess you were right about me not bloviating enough, because I didn't think to note that the wheat starch based bread (as flexible as its rise can be in some ways) can't stand any handling after it's set down for the final rise. (I believe Kevin posted on this.) I always set it down to rise on the sheet or pan that it is going to bake in, and don't touch it again until it's ready to cool. My understanding is that hc bread, with reasonable care, can suffer being moved from surface to surface--but this stuff can't. (You can put cuts in the top of the formed dough, just do it before it begins rising.)

Don't know if the corn starch based lc breads are the same way, but I operate on that assumption.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 03-01-2012 at 04:28 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Guess you were right about me not bloviating enough, because I didn't think to note that the wheat starch based bread (as flexible as its rise can be in some ways) can't stand any handling after it's set down for the final rise. (I believe Kevin posted on this.) I always set it down to rise on the sheet or pan that it is going to bake in, and don't touch it again until it's ready to cool. My understanding is that hc bread, with reasonable care, can suffer being moved from surface to surface--but this stuff can't. (You can put cuts in the top of the formed dough, just do it before it begins rising.)

Don't know if the corn starch based lc breads are the same way, but I operate on that assumption.
all of this is great information! I don't move it once it is shaped and in the pan, but I have been cutting a criss-cross in the top of the bread with RCS after it rises, the same that you do for HC bread. But, you are right, that RWS bread doesn't like to be man-handled at ALL!
Off to try again tonight with the RCS, this time, just because that is the only flour mix I have left.
Need to get more carbalose... If I ever get it right again, I'll post pics.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
all of this is great information! I don't move it once it is shaped and in the pan, but I have been cutting a criss-cross in the top of the bread with RCS after it rises, the same that you do for HC bread. But, you are right, that RWS bread doesn't like to be man-handled at ALL!
Off to try again tonight with the RCS, this time, just because that is the only flour mix I have left.
Need to get more carbalose... If I ever get it right again, I'll post pics.
Will have to consider what I do with it, but that's interesting information to have about the RCS bread. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Well, just made two more batches of bread with Kevin's bread flour and neither rose an inch even after two hours. I know the yeast is active. The only thing I can figure is that I must have mixed up the amounts of RWS 8000 and RWS 5000 when I made the new batch of flour. The dough seemed elastic enough, though. Just can't figure it. And the one recipe I made last night rose crazily and fast, and flopped instantly once I messed with it before baking (wonder if that was the one I did with the small batch of RWS flour blend I made?). And I have been baking bread (a lot) since 1969, and Low carb bread (again, a lot) since 2003. Beats me what's going on!