Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Locarbman! Long time no see. In another Neotame thread you answered questions of mine previously, and I have finally purchased Neotame (from the same source you got it I believe, AHFNI?) Yes ;-)

In any case, I am waiting for it to come in the mail.

I see water / vegetable glycerine seems to be the prefered method of mixing the solution. Have you noticed any 'shelf life' when mixing it with water, because I dont know where the heck to find the vegetable glycering. I nave not used water but it should be OK if refrigerated. I do recommend NOW brand Vegetable Glycerine which is available at Netrition.com at a good price for a solution that I can keep on the kitchen counter rather than in my refrigerator...easier to grab and use when I want...;-)

NOW Vegetable Glycerine

I also saw mention by someone in another thread that they used a vodka solution. I wondered on your thoughts on this because I would imagine 1/4 tsp of vodka solution would not transfer much alcohol flavor to say a pitcher of juice or iced tea or whatever. I have not tried this but you might give it a try... ;-)

Also what do you do if 1/4 tsp = 1 cup equivalence is too strong for you? I mean I know you would simply need dilute it further, but I mean logistically speaking, how do YOU do it. Do you keep mixtures of seperate strengths in seperate containers, one for juice for example and one for a cup of coffee? No...too confusing for me...I just use my small spoon set to add smaller amounts of solution and just sweeten to taste... ;-)

Also, have you heard of anyone mixing the powder directly into coffee cream to make their own coffee creamer? No, this powder is so strong that I would hesitate to try this...much easier to work with my VG solution...

Does the unmixed powder itself have a shelf life? I doubt it ;-)...no problems with my Sucralose Powder (since 2002 ;-) or Neotame powder. I just keep it in my kitchen cupboard...

I am just trying to cover all my bases here and make sure I dont waste an expensive purchase. I hear you LOL! This product is great and lasts a long time! Have Fun!

Locarbman... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have mixed the neotane in water. After a few months, white flakes appeared in the bottles and the sweetness diminished. Now I mix it with gylcerine with no problems.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OleHB
Stats: 180cm about 80kg
Well, i have no time till now to go through your answer - but want to say something to the conservation issue:

I Am using sorbic acid or more accurate: potassium sorbate. It is active against fungi and barm/yeast and some bacillus. Here in germany its often used in comercial food. I use it for making my own cold jam/jelly

Glycerine is a better way, i think. Also i am thinking about using vodka or rum
OleHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
Got my 'Newtame' in the mail today will mix some up in the next day or two..
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moemos
Hello,

what's the best source for pure neotame powder (1oz) at the moment?
I only found 1oz at ebay for 68 USD.

Thanks, moe
moemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemos View Post
Hello,

what's the best source for pure neotame powder (1oz) at the moment?
I only found 1oz at ebay for 68 USD.

Thanks, moe
Hi moe,

That is the only source I am aware of at present (selling by the ounce), they were charging $48 per ounce in 2010 when I purchased my 4 ounces (still have 3 ounces in the cupboard ;-) Their price on ebay has varied from $39 to $68 over the past year or so...still, this price is cheaper than Sucrlose per cup of sugar equivalence...2 cents compared to 20 cents at $48 per ounce. I believe you will find this product is still cost effective at $68 per ounce compared to other sweeteners ;-)

Hope this helps...locarbman ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-02-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Hello lowcarbman,

thanks for the confirmation.
I found other sources - but most of them are much more expensive and for laboratories only.
However, I managed to get an industrial "sample amount" of neotame powder.

Personally I'm very satisfy with its taste and efficency compared to sucralose or other common sweeteners like Saccharin/Cyclamat-Sodium or Stevia. I usually mix 1 liter water with 1g Neotame and use the mixture in a small 30ml pump-vaporizer. Mixing the powder directly doesn't really work well.

Would you be interested in getting a sample of the neotame? It would be great if you could just compare them against each other.

Best regards,
moe
Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemos View Post
Hello lowcarbman,

thanks for the confirmation.
I found other sources - but most of them are much more expensive and for laboratories only.
However, I managed to get an industrial "sample amount" of neotame powder.

Personally I'm very satisfy with its taste and efficency compared to sucralose or other common sweeteners like Saccharin/Cyclamat-Sodium or Stevia. I usually mix 1 liter water with 1g Neotame and use the mixture in a small 30ml pump-vaporizer. Mixing the powder directly doesn't really work well.

Would you be interested in getting a sample of the neotame? It would be great if you could just compare them against each other.

Best regards,
moe
LOL! thanks for suggesting comparing products, however, I am quite satisfied with my AHFNI product and have a more than sufficient amount on hand ;-) I have no problem using both water and Vegetable Glycerine as mediums for my product and prefer the Vegetable Glycerine solution as it does not require refrigeration.

You may find more information regarding my experience with Neotame Powder in this thread:

for LoCarbman Newtame

Welcome to our board!

locarbman... ;-)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Hello, it was just an idea - a free sample for the sake of science.

But theoretically there shouldn't be any differences between those industrial 99,x% powders. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I will try Glycerine some time.

Best regards, moe