Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bill_co
Sugar to Sweetener Conversions:

This is the initial post of a thread dealing with sugar to sweetener substitute conversions in LC cooking. The list was begun for my personal use after finding so many different sweeteners in LC recipes but I thought the info could also be useful to others. The list is grossly incomplete, but is posted primarily to obtain comments/suggestions regarding its usefulness, presentation, content. After those issues are resolved, I hope to expand, reissue and maintain as additional information becomes available. All comments will be appreciated and even criticism tolerated.

Presentation suggestions accompanied with methods will also be appreciated.

Depending on the traffic, changes will be made by "blocks." This, being the initial issue is Release 00. Reissues will be denoted by an annotation in the table header as Release 01, 02 ..... etc.

(NOTE: An additional Ingredient Weight/Carb/Storage List is being developed and will be posted shortly on a separate thread.)

Last edited by bill_co; 02-25-2012 at 08:45 AM..
bill_co is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Bill, this is REALLY COOL! So are you saying if anyone has further info regarding the sweeteners that THEY use, i.e., calories, weight, et al., that if they post that info here you'll include it in a next iteration of your spreadsheet? Man that would be GREAT!

NICE work and thanks for the time it took.

I'll have to look up my sweeteners and post them here for inclusion in a future release!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sugar to Sweetener Conversions: (updating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Bill, this is REALLY COOL! So are you saying if anyone has further info regarding the sweeteners that THEY use, i.e., calories, weight, et al., that if they post that info here you'll include it in a next iteration of your spreadsheet? Man that would be GREAT!

NICE work and thanks for the time it took.

I'll have to look up my sweeteners and post them here for inclusion in a future release!
That is a yes -- It will not be immediately tho -- would like to collect comments and add as blocks. Hopefully the comment/addition volume will be high so it will be most useful, so I will collect the inputs and add them periodically. I will not acknowledge each one tho. If I fail to add a comment, then a follow-up to me will be corrected/explained.

Suggest those interested subscribe in order to verify.

Thanks again for your help
Bill

PS: A specific reply I need. I bought Stevia from Puritan and they cannot/will not give me a sugar equivalent of each packet. I just know that each packed seems to be 2 - 3 times the sweetness of a Splenda packet.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow!!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hey, this is great. I don't have anything to add at this time, but I'll keep checking back for updates. Thanks for doing this, Bill.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow !!!!!!!
This is great. I 've put in on my pc thanks Bill.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
This is just amazing, so well thought out and put together and EVERY sweetener seems to be on there!

WTG, what a great job and THANKS SO MUCH for doing this and passing it on!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Bill, you say "Diabetisweet" - I assume that to be the white only? I have stockpiled the brown too, which apparently is no longer being made.

Same with Splenda QuickPacks - I have TONS of them stockpiled. Maybe you'd consider adding those two items to your chart next release - I can give you the nutri info off their labels if you like!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Bill, you say "Diabetisweet" - I assume that to be the white only? I have stockpiled the brown too, which apparently is no longer being made.

Same with Splenda QuickPacks - I have TONS of them stockpiled. Maybe you'd consider adding those two items to your chart next release - I can give you the nutri info off their labels if you like!
Have already added to the draft of the next revision -- will accept the inputs whenever you are ready, either by post or PM.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/171.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Bill-thanks so much for the pm and the effort you put into this and for sharing-I appreciate it so much-will be watching and adding if I see any more --thanks again!
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Great job Bill! I am always wondering about stevia conversions, this will really help for a quick reference.
Unless I missed it I didn't see zsweet, I use it all the time. Netrition sells it so you could get the info from the site. Also I noticed diabetisweet is listed with 187 carbs. I don't count sugar alcohols. Maybe something should be put in the note column for those that are unfamiliar with sugar alcohols.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
Great job Bill! I am always wondering about stevia conversions, this will really help for a quick reference.
Unless I missed it I didn't see zsweet, I use it all the time. Netrition sells it so you could get the info from the site. Also I noticed diabetisweet is listed with 187 carbs. I don't count sugar alcohols. Maybe something should be put in the note column for those that are unfamiliar with sugar alcohols.
Don't know about the zsweet, but will look into it, but if you have the info/source, that would be appreciated.

I may have to make a separate section re. Stevia -- there's so many alternatives -- hopefully, many are equivalents and can be grouped.

Thanks,
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_co View Post
Don't know about the zsweet, but will look into it, but if you have the info/source, that would be appreciated.

I may have to make a separate section re. Stevia -- there's so many alternatives -- hopefully, many are equivalents and can be grouped.

Thanks,
It's not important for you to list the ZSweet I use it cup for cup and it is a sugar alcohol so I don't count the carbs in it. I just thought others may be interested. I see netrition is also carrying some sweeteners that I have never heard of before. I can see how trying to list every sugar substitute could become overwhelming.

I have seen many recipes that call for X number of drops of stevia. I don't like the taste of stevia alone so I never use it and have no idea what the equivalent of something else would be. So I end up adding sweeteners and tasting as I go... Scary when you're using raw eggs
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yes, I do think a column re: sugar alcohols would be useful. i dnt count the carbs in erythritol. Should I? Or are they all sugar alcohols?

Also, maybe include common combinations of sweeteners that are used to replace 1c sugar? ie 1c sugar equiv = 1/2c erythritol, 2Tbsp xylitol, 1/8tsp stevia powder (New Leaf Brand)
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Pooti, I don't count erythritol at all either, as it's the lowest GI sugar alcohol of them all and does not cause me any discomfort of the lower regions nor cravings etc.

THAT being said, I always combine sweeteners too, for the syngergistic effects and the dampening of the "cooling effect" in erythritol and xylitol. I usually go for E or X plus the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carb formula (btw Bill Netrition has the nutri info on that on their site as well) and maybe a little Splenda quickpack or Diabetisweet or even some SF honey.

Which leads to another one that could go on the spreadsheet! HoneyTree sugarfree honey (maltitol based) - there is another one also, I forget the maker, which is xytitol-based - I bought it, used it once and threw it out because the consistency was decidely NOT honey-like - it was a gloopy nasty thing, too thin, and I didn't think the flavor was all that good either.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Which leads to another one that could go on the spreadsheet! HoneyTree sugarfree honey (maltitol based) - there is another one also, I forget the maker, which is xytitol-based - I bought it, used it once and threw it out because the consistency was decidely NOT honey-like - it was a gloopy nasty thing, too thin, and I didn't think the flavor was all that good either.
Should have probably kept it Char, you could have mixed it with the maltitol based one and put it in some BBQ sauce. I bought some xytitol based BBQ sauce that was horrible on it's own but mixed with some smokin joe jones it was pretty darn tasty.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

Wanda, I just couldn't tolerate that nasty texture and darned if I'd pollute my good BBQ sauce with it!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This is such a great idea. It will be so helpful to newcomers. Thanks for all your efforts.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wanda, I just couldn't tolerate that nasty texture and darned if I'd pollute my good BBQ sauce with it!

I wonder if it was this brand Char....Global Sweet
Smart Sweet Xylitol Honey .....a reviewer described it's consistancy like a personal lubricant

I was going to try it anyway to mix with my maltitol honey because it gives me such a stomach ache but maybe I would be better off to mix it with a little da Vinci syrup.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
Gadget Gal

I think it was Nature's Hollow - it wasn't a smooooth texture, it was GLOOPY, that's the best I can describe it - part of it runny and part of it kind of clumpy. Yuck.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Z-Sweet appears to be Erythritol -- will expand to a general category for "Sugar alcohols" and list erythritol as one of them. Have to get more info/research to see if it can be treated as an overall category, but looks like there may be, at least, some notes that are unique.

To all who are keeping up with this THANKS!!!!, the compliments are greatly appreciated, but comments/suggestions would be more valuable. I have enough encouragement to fuel my tank for some time.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Z-Sweet appears to be Erythritol -- will expand to a general category for "Sugar alcohols" and list erythritol as one of them. Have to get more info/research to see if it can be treated as an overall category, but looks like there may be, at least, some notes that are unique.
Yes it has Erythritol but it also has S. rebaudiana leaf extract in it as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Sugar alcohols

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Yes, I do think a column re: sugar alcohols would be useful. i dnt count the carbs in erythritol. Should I? Or are they all sugar alcohols?
pooticus -- Did I miss something, or did you -- the columns under "carb/100 grams" are intended to include and exclude carbs of sugar alcohol?

Quote:
Also, maybe include common combinations of sweeteners that are used to replace 1c sugar? ie 1c sugar equiv = 1/2c erythritol, 2Tbsp xylitol, 1/8tsp stevia powder (New Leaf Brand)
"Combinations" a great suggestion. That would be quite useful, but which ones and where is the data? I have Ursula Solom's LC Baking and Dessert Book and she uses a mix, at least in baking, of about 15 Splenda/9 xylitol/ 1 Stevia Plus but deviates at times. I have tried a few of her recipes and the sweetness seems about for my taste. I would need some help on this from some of the pros. Will add the category in the next revision but it may be mostly blank.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
pooticus -- Did I miss something, or did you -- the columns under "carb/100 grams" are intended to include and exclude carbs of sugar alcohol?
Bill

Well I'm confused Bill, see I count Erythritol as 0 carbs and diabetisweet as 0 carbs. First I don't know how much product 100 grams is but regardless of that you have Erythritol as 48 and diabetisweet as 187. I guess we are wondering if you are counting sugar alcohols here.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I'm confused Bill, see I count Erythritol as 0 carbs and diabetisweet as 0 carbs. First I don't know how much product 100 grams is but regardless of that you have Erythritol as 48 and diabetisweet as 187. I guess we are wondering if you are counting sugar alcohols here.
That's the reason it is posted for comments. Thought you were referring to the overall table and not the specifics. Also, I was not that familiar with all the names, but intended to subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols for the "net" value. So, you are correct. Apparently, I found somewhere that all the sugar alcohol values were still included and used their values. I will continue to check my calculations, but it is more difficult to proof my own than others, so do not hesitate in pointing out errors/inconsistencies.

The ADA does a bit of different take on the sugar alcohols as follows:

"If a food has more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols:

subtract ˝ the grams of sugar alcohol from the amount of total carbohydrate
Count the remaining grams of carbohydrate in your meal plan
Example:

Portion: 1 bar
Total carbohydrate 15 grams, with 6 grams of sugar alcohol
One bar counts as 12 grams carbohydrate (15 – 3 = 12)"

I'm not trying to get into a debate with them but find it in accord with the "0 net" in most discussions/publications.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Gadget Gal

The problem with the ADA calculation is that not all sugar alcohols are created equal. Erythritol (commonly referred to as "E" on this forum) is very low glycemic, therefore I count it as 0. Maltitol, OTOH, is much higher on the glycemic scale, so I count about half the sugar alcohols in it, PLUS it gives me (as well as many others) gastric distress if I eat too much of it. For some, "too much" = ANY! Other SAs generally fall in between those two someplace. So it's gonna be difficult to apply a hard and fast rule such as the ADA advocates across the entire spectrum of SAs, IMHO.

Maybe in the comments section, after gathering some anecdotal information re: the level of gastric upset each is prone to cause, a mention of that level? It ain't gonna be easy! BUT oh so useful....
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Or you could just list the amount of sugar alcohols and people can decide for them self how they wish to count them.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
something I've done is to find the actual caloric value of a sugar sub and then calculate backwards to find the actual carb count. I figure if its not diegested as energy then it's not a carb. In that way Erythritol and Xylitol, which have lower calories, but not zero calories, still have some carbs. liquid Surcrolose such as Ez-Sweets has No calories,no energy and therefore no carbs.

ETA: I try to find the actual calories from a source like Wiki if the package gives a neat little rounded number like 0, 5 or 10, packages lie conveniently. if a product has 2 calories per gram, that can be significant if used in quantity, but the package will say zero and confuse the issue...

I made a blend of sweeteners , a combo of powder splenda, Xylitol, Erythritol and Diabetisweet, and the combination of them is NOT a zero calorie zero carb sweetener, but many fewer calories and many fewer carbs than sugar, and 11T equals a cup of sugar in sweetness instead of 16T so I use less of it for the same taste effect. I don't have my numbers now but I can post them next week.

subtracting sugar alcohols can be iffy, because they can have less of an effect while still having calories that have *some effect, and some people digest all of it into energy so it varies from person to person. I think having the data and letting people decide the absorption ratio personally might be more forgiving.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 02-25-2012 at 11:39 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Bill, that is wonderful. Good job! My sweeteners are included in your table. The only thing I might mention is that EZ-Sweetz comes in two size bottles or concentrations. 0.5 oz and 2 oz bottles

1/4 cup = 6/12 drops respectively
1 cup = 24/48 drops
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Bill, nice job! In case this is of use, there is much info on sweeteners at this site. Here is one page. There are many pages of info there.

Artificial Sweetener List
Auntie Em is online now   Reply With Quote