Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Grilled Mediterranean Lamb Shoulder Chops

Grilled Mediterranean Lamb Shoulder Chops

Hey guys this is one of our go-to recipes for lamb chops. Lamb shoulder chops are much less expensive than lamb loin chops or rack of lamb (about $3.99 to $5.98/lb here). This recipe includes the basic grilling technique we use for all our chops and steaks. It's a great technique to master and once you do, you will make the best chops and steaks on your block! Move over Texas Land & Cattle!

Click on image to enlarge

Serves – 4 to 6
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Non-Cooking Time – 1 Hour up to 24 Hours
Cooking Time – 6 Minutes
Post-grill Resting Time – 5-10 Minutes

Ingredients
2lbs Lamb Shoulder Chops
(3-4 large shoulder chops)
1 Lemon, zested
4 cloves Garlic, pressed
3 Tbsp Rosemary, fresh, chopped
3 Tbsp Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp Thyme, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp Oregano, fresh, chopped
Lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4c Olive Oil
3 tsp Kosher or Course Sea Salt
3 tsp Black Pepper, fresh, coarsely ground

Instructions
Wash and dry all herbs. Strip the leaves off the stems and roughly chop.

Rinse meat under cold running water and dry well, using paper towels.

Zest lemon and reserve uncut lemon for use immediately prior to grilling.

Rub both sides and edges of lamb chops with pressed garlic cloves. Really rub it in well!

Combine lemon zest with chopped herbs and pepper and sprinkle over both sides of lamb chops. Massage herbs into the meat.

Combine Worcestershire with olive oil and drizzle over both sides of lamb chops.

Cover and marinate lamb chops overnight or for at least one hour.

One hour before serving, roll lemon on countertop to release juices. Cut and squeeze fresh lemon juice over both sides of lamb chops.

Sprinkle meat with salt just before grilling. Salt will draw juices out of the lamb and lemon juice chemically cooks the meat, so you don’t want to salt or add lemon juice to meat too early. That’s why I didn’t add the salt and lemon juice to the marinade.

When ready to grill, take lamb out of ice box. I like meat to be cold when grilling because it gives me the time necessary over blazing hot heat (ignite or extra high) to brown the outside of the meat without moy-der-izing (murderizing) the inside and over cooking it.

We cook with a propane grill. The instructions would be the same for a gas grill. Feel free to use a charcoal grill or a George Foreman type of grill or a grill pan. The recipe is flexible! You will have to adjust your cooking method accordingly.

Grilling Instructions for Propane Grill
Heat grill on ignite with the lid closed for about 3-5 minutes. You want it hot, hot, hotty devil, hot!

Place lamb chops over direct heat. Close lid. Don’t be scared.

Cook for 1 minute, lid down.

Open lid after 1 minute and cook for a second minute on that side with the lid up. DON’T you dare touch that meat! Don’t touch it!

After two minutes on side 1, pour any marinade and herbs left on the plate used during marinating the lamb over the exposed side of lamb chops. (That’s the side that’s facing you while on the grill. You’re lookin’ at it!)

Using tongues, flip lamb chops. Close lid and cook for 1 minute, lid down.

Open lid after 1 minute and cook for a second minute on that side with the lid up. Again, resist the urge to fiddle with your lamb chops.

It’s now been 4 minutes, 2 more minutes of cooking to go.

Use tongues to flip lamb chops back over onto side 1, rotating lamb chop about 45 degrees when flipping. Close lid and cook for 1 minute, lid down.

Open lid after 1 minute, use tongues to flip lamb chop over onto side 2, again rotating chop 45 degrees. Close lid and cook for 1 minute, lid down.

Six minutes total cooking time over direct heat on the ignite setting, which should be the hottest setting on your grill, and times up! You’re done! So are the lamb shoulder chops.

Remove lamb chops from grill onto a clean plate and turn off grill.

Now walk away from the lamb and finish getting everything together for plating. Let the lamb chops rest undisturbed for at least 5 to 10 minutes.

When ready to serve, cut lamb chops off the bone and thinly slice meat, across the grain. If you prefer, you can serve the chops whole. I find I have better portion control when I slice the meat and serve my 3-4oz cooked serving of lamb.

Nutritional Information

Nutritional Label for Marinade – Full Recipe (raw measure)
Remember, about of the marinade will be lost during the cooking process. So don’t count the full total when tracking nutrients.

Cals 547 Fat 55g Carbs 16.3g Fiber 5.6g Protein 2.7g Net Carbs 10.7g (divide this net number by 4 or 6 servings)

Nutrition Label for Lamb Shoulder Chops – Full Recipe (raw weight)

Cals 1197 Fat 42.7g Carbs 0g Protein 181.3g (divide totals by 4 or 6 or however many servings you get from 2lbs of meat)

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 02-24-2012 at 10:03 AM..
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh Pooti, this sounds so good! I LOVE grilled Greek-style lamb chops. Can't wait for the weather to get a little nicer so we can start grilling again!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yum Char! What's your recipe for Greek style Chops??? Please share?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well you know how I cook -

I use Kalamata olive oil from Trader Joe's, maybe 1/3 cup? Then the juice of a couple of my Meyer lemons, crushed garlic, maybe a teaspoon or more of Cavender's Greek seasoning, a good teaspoon of crushed dried oregano, some coarsely-ground black pepper, about a tablespoon of red wine vinegar. I put all that into a gallon ziploc, seal, shake to mix, then put center-cut loin chops (from Costco usually) into the marinade, shake to coat them all, and let marinate an hour or two minimum; have left in the fridge up to 2 days when plans changed, without much loss of quality of the meat texture.

Take out of marinade, shake off excess, and grill to your liking. It's good on bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs too, or boneless, skinless ones, which we grill and then slice into 1/2" slices while still hot and put atop a big Greek salad for dinner.

MOUTH WATERING!!!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote