Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Blue-Glu Muffins

I'm having fun exploring with my new bag of glucomannan powder! Created these muffins today and they were lighter and fluffier than any of my previous blueberry muffin recipes. Not sure if the gluc did that or not. But I'm very pleased with the result. I may even increase the gluc next baking and test those waters. Two of these were VERY filling. I dare you to say the name the name of this muffin 5 times real fast.

I’m trying to incorporate some glucomannan (Konjac) powder into my daily food intake for the added fiber. These came out amazingly light and fluffy with a nice “mouth feel”. You can use all butter in these if you prefer. These are not suitable for the Induction phase of Atkins. Wait until the grains rung of the OWL ladder. This batter would lend itself to other chopped fruits or berries as well. If you prefer, you can substitute 3/4 more almond flour for the Carbquick, but your texture and carb count will be different making that change.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. almond flour
3/4 c. Carbquick mix
2 T. coconut flour
2 T. oat fiber
½ tsp. glucomannan (Konjac) powder (optional)
½ c. Splenda, granular (or equivalent sweetener)
1 T. erythritol, granular
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
¼ c. butter
¼ c. light olive oil
4 large eggs, beaten
¼ c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. blueberries (I used Wyman’s tiny wild berries)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (or grease metal muffin pan). Measure the dry ingredients into medium mixing bowl. Stir well. Beat in eggs, vanilla, water and butter/oil. Fold berries in gently, just enough to mix uniformly into batter. Do not overwork batter. Fill 12 muffin cups about 3/4 full and pop into hot oven. Bake for 20 minutes and check. Bake 2-3 more minutes if not done/lightly browned yet. Mine took the full 23 minutes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 muffins, each contains:

175 calories
16.08 g fat
9.31 g carbs, 5.61 g fiber, 3.7 g NET CARBS
5.6 g protein
146 mg sodium
25 mg potassium, 109% RDA phosphorous

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Those look delicious!

I use glucomannan in all my baked goods anymore. I find that it helps make them lighter and fluffier and they hold together much better. I actually use it in a lot of recipes, baked or not, I use it my peanut butter pie and whipped cream.

I add it to ChickenLady's cornbread, the Maple Blondies in Jen's new cookbook, some of LindaSue's casseroles and just the other day added it to Jen's gluten-free pizza crust, the one that she got the idea for from you.

It's great stuff.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
They look yummy
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Those look delicious!

I use glucomannan in all my baked goods anymore. I find that it helps make them lighter and fluffier and they hold together much better.
It's great stuff.
Pam, I'd definitely have to agree with your decription of "lighter and fluffier", Pam. I plan to start adding it to more baked goods for awhile and see how that does for me.

Thank you, Brenda. They were as good as they look. Not the slightest bit dry or crumbly with the gluc in them.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
You guys are "KILLIN'" me with all of this baked goodness.....gonna be 10 punds on dh making him "test" everything.

I got to get this in bulk. All I have is capsules....way to pricy to be using them that way...LOL
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I assume the butter is melted AND olive oil is included with the mix? Or is it butter OR oil? These look wonderful!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Lovely looking muffins! Oh, I figured Pam would have spotted this post thanks to the glucomannan.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Think I'll try these with cranberries; it's always fun to try a new muffin recipe.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
Think I'll try these with cranberries; it's always fun to try a new muffin recipe.
What a great idea! I dried a bunch of them last month.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, Tilly, the butter is melted. I've added that notation to the butter listed on the recipe on my site now. Thanks for noticing that, my friend.

Sligh, I like your cranberry idea. I'm sure any berry would work just fine. I just needed to use up that open bag of berries as they'd been in my freezer awhile.

Thanks Jen. Yes, I've noticed Pam does like her gluc. I'm beginning to see why, now that I finally ordered some.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Peggy, there is more to glucomannan than the benefits it brings to baking:

"Glucomannan is a sugar made from the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus konjac). Glucommanan powder, capsules, and tablets are used as medicine.

Glucomannan is used for constipation, weight loss in adults and children, type 2 diabetes, blood sugar control, and lowering cholesterol.

In foods, glucomannan is used as a thickener or gelling agent. Glucommanan flour and powder are used in food.

How does it work?

Glucomannan might work in the stomach and intestines by absorbing water to form a bulky fiber which treats constipation. It may also slow the absorption of sugar and cholesterol from the gut, helping to control sugar levels in diabetes, and reducing cholesterol levels."

AND warnings:

"Glucomannan powder or flour in enriched foods such as Japanese noodles is LIKELY SAFE. Glucomannan powder and capsules are POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults and children. But solid tablets containing glucomannan are POSSIBLY UNSAFE. These can sometimes cause blockages of the throat or intestines.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of glucomannan during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: Glucomannan may interfere with blood sugar control. Monitor blood sugar closely if you have diabetes and use glucomannan.

Surgery: Glucomannan might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using glucomannan at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery."
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote