Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Corn Muffins

I've been spending a lot of time lately reading some of the mega-threads and came across Ouizoid's English Muffin recipe once again and was smitten with an idea. I made a batch in muffin-top-type pan with some spicy seasoning mixed in for fun and they came out REAL good, Ouizoid! Nice texture! But in the last two I was dipping into the muffin-top pan, I stirred in a bit of my Fresh Corn Flavoring (Superior Flavorings brand), a pinch of corn bran and man, oh, man, were those two particularly good! So I made another batch of all corn muffins. May even add in a tad of corn bran next time, but I don't want to dry these babies out any, and CB tends to do that. Here's what they came out like:

I changed up a couple ingredients and added a little yellow food coloring and a new flavoring I acquired called “Fresh Corn” made by Superior Flavorings. Google Superior Flavorings to get more info on this stuff. It has a delightful aroma of buttered corn and I knew the minute it arrived in the mail and I smelled it that this product would have a lot of interesting uses for a low-carber avoiding real corn.

This is my first test with this flavoring and I’m very pleased with the buttery corn flavor it gave these muffins. I DO wish I had not decided to use baking cup paper liners as the muffins stuck to the ungreased paper pretty badly. I discovered once cooled, the paper peeled off nicely, but I like my cornbread HOT! So I strongly recommend using greased/non-stick muffin pans without paper liners for these. I like this recipe a bit better than my other round-pan cornbread recipe here on the site! A little more moist and less crumbly! These are extremely filling, too, with the glucomannan and chia, two ingredients LOADED with fiber! I can only eat ONE! This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung on the Atkins OWL phase. The unusual ingredients in this are available at Netrition.com (all but the Superior Fresh Corn flavoring).

INGREDIENTS:

¼ c. oat fiber
¼ c. golden flax meal (I used half golden flax and half dark flax)
¼ c. Carbquick bake mix
1/3 c. plain, unsweetened whey protein powder
1 tsp. vital wheat gluten
½ tsp. glucomannan (Konjac) powder
½ tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 T. chia seeds (preferably white, but I used mixed dark and white put out by Nativas Naturals I got at Netrition)
¼ c. hot water (to make gel with chia seeds)
3 beaten medium-large eggs (2/3 cup)
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. “Fresh Corn” liquid flavoring
4-5 drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Mix chia seeds with the ¼ c. water in a lidded jar and set aside for about 30 minutes to an hour. Shake the jar occasionally, but it WILL tend to clump a bit. By the way, you can make chia gel ahead in a jar in larger quantity and store in the refrigerator if you prefer. I’m pretty new to chia seeds, so I’m not sure how long that mix can be stored before it spoils, but probably a week at least. Having it on hand already made up would be nice!

Once your chia gel is ready, Preheat your oven to 350º. Measure all the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir well. Beat the eggs, oil, corn flavoring food coloring and chia gel into the batter and stir until very smooth. If too stiff, add a T. water and stir in well. I use a 2T. measuring cup to scoop the batter into 10 muffin cups, but you have to dig it out with your finger to avoid batter waste. Bake at 350º for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve with butter while hot and ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 smallish but very filling corn muffins, each contains:

52.7 calories
3.6 g fat
5.0 g carbs, 4.5 g fiber, .5 g NET CARBS
5.38 g protein
70 mg sodium
50 mg potassium
12% RDA phosphorous

BTW, I decided against using corn bran in the final recipe for fear it would dry these muffins out. I will test those waters gradually a teaspoon at a time, as the pinch I stirred in the two test muffins made them rise taller! So I'd LIKE to give that a try.....I just don 't know for certain how MUCH to add.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: To add final comment and correct egg to 2/3 c.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
These look wonderful! I was just looking at where you purchased the flavoring (I have all the other ingredients). Interesting flavors, did you purchase any others? Thank you for sharing this. A whole lot less carbs than any of the other cornbread recipes!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 02-19-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
flavoring ingredients

Peggy, do you mind telling us the ingredients in the Superior Flavorings? I asked you on your blog, but I'm sure others here would like to know as well. I will probably buy some of the corn flavoring, (don't know anywhere else I could get it) but I might be interested in ordering other flavors at the same time, if I knew about their ingredients.
Thanks!!Peggy, do you mind telling us the ingredients in the Superior Flavorings? I asked you on your blog, but I'm sure others here would like to know as well. I will probably buy some of the corn flavoring, (don't know anywhere else I could get it) but I might be interested in ordering other flavors at the same time, if I knew about their ingredients.
Thanks!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
*drool*
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are the ingredients listed on the bottle: Water, Propylene glycol, Natural and Artificial flavors, Potassium Benzoate( as a preservative). [It is alcohol free, sugar free, salt free.]

No telling what the “natural and artificial flavors” really are. Don’t know if they’d be willing to tell you specifics on that or not, as they likely consider that part of the recipe proprietary.

Propylene Glycol info: Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Potassium Benzoate info: Potassium benzoate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I reheated these in the oven for dinner and that dried out the exterior tops/crust a bit. But the one I reheated for 5 seconds on DEFROST in my microwave reheated just fine, retaining the soft interior and nice exterior texture.

My husband gave the flavor a thumbs up and ate three! I can only eat 1 of these, they are soooo filling with the glucomannan. He thought these better than my other cornbread recipe, as did I. I think I may try to add a little buttermilk to this recipe next time and maybe increase the corn flavoring to 1½ tsp. The corn taste was milder on reheating later in the day. I filled the muffin cups about half full using a 2 T. measuring cup to fill them.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Investing in products

I have so much in the freezer that I bought and rarely use.
All kinds of stuff to make Kevin's bakery products which
I rarely make anymore. Can we make these muffins without
chia seeds and glucomannan? I have glyceryn and stevia glycerite,
and would love a muffin like this but don't want to buy any more
stuff. What can we use to take it's place?

BTW they looks yumdelsh.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, the only other flavors of theirs I've used are almond, pineapple, creme-o-mint, coconutti and hazelnut. I like the first 4 a lot!! The jury is still out on the hazelnut. I haven't used that one yet in baking, only in a cup of coffee (bleh) and it wasn't what I was expecting. It's just not quite the hazelnut flavor I'm used to in say DaVinci's/Torani Hazelnut syrups or the hazelnut creamers I've had in my pre-LC days. I'll have to bake with it to decide on that one. Maybe a cup of coffee wasn't a fair first test, as judging how much to put in would be tricky, I'm sure.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-19-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
I have so much in the freezer that I bought and rarely use.
All kinds of stuff to make Kevin's bakery products which
I rarely make anymore. Can we make these muffins without
chia seeds and glucomannan? I have glyceryn and stevia glycerite,
and would love a muffin like this but don't want to buy any more
stuff. What can we use to take it's place?
BTW they looks yumdelsh.
Gee, I'm really not sure, Barbo. I suspect 1/4c. chia gel (maybe the gluc, too) has a lot to do with the elasticity of this muffin (This is the 1st LC cornbread I've made that wasn't a little crumbly). You could try just omitting the gluc and adding one jumbo egg? That would give you about 1/4 c. moisture replacement and some elasticity too. But how that will bake up Subbing can be so iffy with baked goods. That's what I'd try first though. I wouldn't use glycerine, as that will give a heavy, syrup/sweet back taste you wouldn't want in cornbread, at least I wouldn't, but I have never put sugar in my cornbread like some cooks do. I prefer totally unsweet buttermilk cornbread.

Maybe one of our other regular bakers will have some additional ideas for subs for the seeds and gluc, Barb.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

As much as I would like to try these, I'm not interested in buying any of the companies other flavorings, and I'm not willing to pay almost $18 for an 8 oz bottle of flavoring (after shipping). So guess I'll not be trying it, at least with the corn taste. I've paid a lot for a lot of the low carb products, but I think I'm drawing the line at this especially since it had ingredients in it which I want to avoid anyway.
Sure wish I could find corn flavoring somewhere else more reasonable. Actually have not found any anywhere else so far.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
As much as I would like to try these, I'm not interested in buying any of the companies other flavorings, and I'm not willing to pay almost $18 for an 8 oz bottle of flavoring (after shipping). So guess I'll not be trying it, at least with the corn taste. I've paid a lot for a lot of the low carb products, but I think I'm drawing the line at this especially since it had ingredients in it which I want to avoid anyway.
Sure wish I could find corn flavoring somewhere else more reasonable. Actually have not found any anywhere else so far.
I think I might! I've been searching the web periodically for years for artificial corn flavor (the only source I ever found sold wholesale only). Am tempted to, at least. Using this recipe one bottle would be enough to flavor 480 of these small muffins.

I've got the Fresh Corn order page at Superior Flavors up right now in another window, but it has no info other than the name of the product and price--not even the amount (8 oz.) that Billie saw. Is there another page on the site we can go to? [The search box on their home page seems to be dead at the moment.]

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 02-20-2012 at 03:58 AM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
I think I might! I've been searching the web periodically for years for artificial corn flavor (the only source I ever found sold wholesale only). Am tempted to, at least. Using this recipe one bottle would be enough to flavor 480 of these small muffins.

I've got the Fresh Corn order page at Superior Flavors up right now in another window, but it has no info other than the name of the product and price--not even the amount (8 oz.) that Billie saw. Is there another page on the site we can go to? [The search box on their home page seems to be dead at the moment.]
This is one of those times when I wish we could share the product.

I was curious about the shipping costs as well. It looks like they are just starting up. To save on shipping (or at least spread it out) I was thinking of purchasing more than one flavor, but since it looks new, they don't have recipes up yet.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Folks, it doesn't cost $18 a bottle. Scroll down to page 4 on their products page and it clearly shows $9.75 which is what I paid 2 months ago for mine. I wouldn't shell out $18 for flavoring, either, Billie. It's only $9.75 and it's a HUGE 8 oz. bottle. It'll last a year or more for most cooks at 1 tsp. per recipe.

The company I think may be family owned-operated and fairly small operation. They've been around a very long time, as I bought their flavoring at a Kroger on the Tx. gulf coast as far back 20 years ago. Was sold on the Coconutti the very 1st time I used it in pudding. I plan to try to make a Coconutti glucomannan pudding soon in fact, now that I got my bag of gluc.

Their website isn't so hot thought, I'll admit. With one of my orders last year, they sent me 3-4 pages of printed recipes in the box. I didn't keep them since they were all hi-carb recipes that didn't sound particularly interesting. They really ought to put some of those up on their site.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-20-2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Billie was including the shipping in the $18 price tag. I hate it when the shipping costs almost as much as the product. People have used the oriental baby corn in the past to give a corn flavor with fewer carbs. Maybe that would work in these?
BeckyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, yes, shipping for any orders often gets ridiculous. I waited until I wanted to order several flavors to save a little on shipping. You'd just have to experiment with the corn to find out how much to use. Subbing baby corn would definitely up the carbs, but probably not too awfully much. I'm sticking with the carbless flavoring until mine is used up. But since I first encountered it on a Kroger store shelf, you might check around and see if any of your local stores carry it. If you have a store manager responsive to customer special request, they might be willing to get it in for you! Worth a try. My HEB manager will order just about anything I ask him to. Natural Grocery's are willing to order stuff special, too.

But if you experiment with corn, do let us know how that comes out.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-20-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Those look great Buttoni! I don't bake much but I do love my corn one minute muffins. I make them with almond meal and a bit of corn bran. I think I might give that corn flavoring a try to see if I can cut back on how much corn bran I use in my OMM. I also want to give that Banana nut on their site a try. Even though I do have a banana extract coming today from Bickfords. So hard to find flavorings that I like. Yes shipping prices can be crazy. But as someone that once ran an online store of my own, it is what it is, no fault of the company. Especially if you are a small company. A large company like Netrition can get bigger discounts on shipping or eat some of the cost of shipping. Hard to do that when you are a mom and pop type of business.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-20-2012 at 11:21 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're so right, Tulip, about it being hard to find good flavorings. Some of McCormick's aren't too good. 4 out of the 5 LorAnn flavors I bought last year ended up the trash. I obviously picked the wrong ones. I suspect not all the Superior Flavors are great, but the Coconutti, Pineapple, and Fresh Corn I know I'll keep reordering. Those 3 are amazingly close to the real food they are supposed to mimic.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-20-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I just ordered the corn flavoring & the banana nut - they have some others I want to try but I'll see if I like these first before placing a bigger order. Plus I've got some flavors coming today from Bickfords so I should have enough flavorings to keep me for a while.

One reason I don't bake much is that I'm too lazy. LOL! Especially after discovering the OMM. I can usually make a pretty tasty muffin that satisfies my craving for baked goods in a jiffy. But I might just make up a batch of corn muffins when I get my order.

Barbo, I don't have some of those ingredients either so I'm going to use what I have. I made the coconut bread on Linda Sue's website a while back and the texture and taste was a bit like cornbread. So I might play with that recipe and add the corn flavoring to it.

I've discovered though that coconut flour differs so much from one manufacturer to the next.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'd be interested to learn how you like the banana nut. I almost ordered that one, too last order.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harpmaker
To stay within the TOS here I can't post a direct link, but if you do an internet search for "Betty's Country Grocery" and then search for "Superior flavoring" on that site you will see they sell Superior Flavorings for $49.29 for a 10 pack of 8 oz. bottles - and that includes shipping!

They also sell LorAnn Oils .125 oz bottles, 25 pack for $32.59 with free shipping.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for that info, Harpmaker. Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
You're so right, Tulip, about it being hard to find good flavorings. Some of McCormick's aren't too good. 4 out of the 5 LorAnn flavors I bought last year ended up the trash. I obviously picked the wrong ones. I suspect not all the Superior Flavors are great, but the Coconutti, Pineapple, and Fresh Corn I know I'll keep reordering. Those 3 are amazingly close to the real food they are supposed to mimic.
Peggy,

Have you tried the Superior strawberry? I have been disappointed in all the strawberry extracts I have tried. They all taste very artificial.

Teresa
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sorry, Teresa, I haven't. The 4 or 5 I mentioned above are the only ones I've tried to date. That's such a bargain Harpmaker just mentioned I wish I'd known about these people before my last order. I'm going to hang tight and hope they're offering that fantastic a deal when I'm ready to reorder these or try some new ones.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post
To stay within the TOS here I can't post a direct link, but if you do an internet search for "Betty's Country Grocery" and then search for "Superior flavoring" on that site you will see they sell Superior Flavorings for $49.29 for a 10 pack of 8 oz. bottles - and that includes shipping!

They also sell LorAnn Oils .125 oz bottles, 25 pack for $32.59 with free shipping.
Arghhh! And I just put in an order with Superior. Oh, well. Good look-up, anyway, Harpmaker. I only found one other site selling these products (also for less, but I don't think it's as good a deal as Betty's)--and believe it or not it was a fishing site (they sell them--including peach cobbler flavor--as bait enhancers). And they were out of the Fresh Corn.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I'd be interested to learn how you like the banana nut. I almost ordered that one, too last order.
I made a banana walnut OMM with it and it was good. It was better than the more expensive Bickford Banana that I got this week.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Those look great Buttoni! I don't bake much but I do love my corn one minute muffins. I make them with almond meal and a bit of corn bran. I think I might give that corn flavoring a try to see if I can cut back on how much corn bran I use in my OMM. I also want to give that Banana nut on their site a try. Even though I do have a banana extract coming today from Bickfords. So hard to find flavorings that I like. Yes shipping prices can be crazy. But as someone that once ran an online store of my own, it is what it is, no fault of the company. Especially if you are a small company. A large company like Netrition can get bigger discounts on shipping or eat some of the cost of shipping. Hard to do that when you are a mom and pop type of business.
I do understand their end on the shipping. I know that shippings costs are high, and especially small companies have to charge so much because of their costs. But that being said, I still can't pay that much for 1 bottle of flavoring. And I don't want any others, as I don't like the ingredients in them (Peggy told me the ingredients, they aren't listed on the site). They are in the corn flavoring too, but I have not found corn flavoring by any other company. So had almost decided to buy it, since I probably wouldn't be using it all that much.
I tried a very extensive internet search for corn flavoring, and I didn't find anything anywhere else. I don't think I tried looking for that brand anywhere else, just looking for corn flavoring. (Actually hoping to find another brand that carried it.)
As BeckyM pointed out, I did say in my post that the $18 included postage. (Thanks Becky.) Since I only wanted the 1 bottle, it would be just under $18. Creek, I found the size on the home page I believe. They do not have the size or ingredients on the page where the flavoring actually is. And they do not list the ingredients anywhere on the site. That in itself is a negative against the company for me. I like to know what I'm buying! They really tell you nothing about their products.
If you buy 12 itmes there is no charge! but i only want 1 bottle, and then ony because their brand is th only one where I've been able to find corn flavoring.

I have corn bran, but truthfully, I never taste the corn in anything I use it in. Maybe it's just my taste buds. I often have that problem with things. I've used the baby corn in the past too, but didn't have a lot of luck with it. And I wouldn't need but just a tiny bit of it in these muffins I don't think, then I'd have the rest of the corn. I've toyed with the idea of trying to dehydrate it, then grind it to add to "cornbread" etc. But haven't tried it yet.
That tackle company doesn't tell a shipping cost till you have an order, and give them all your name, address, etc info. Better price per bottle tho! (at least before adding shipping)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No worries Billie. When I make OMM, I do 1 TBS of cornbran. Its definitely not a strong corn flavor, but it comes through for me. 1 TBS is a lot though so it would be nice to cut back on it. All that fiber keeps me full for hours though.

Don't want to take this thread off track, but since we are talking about corn bran, the other thing that I do with corn bran is use it to dust my pizza pan when I make Cleo's cauli pizza. It gives it a more realistic crust.

I'm gonna bake up some muffins this weekend so I will post my results.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Billie, you have tried Sherilee's cornbread haven't you? For anyone who might be interested, here's a link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cornbread.html

...For nutritional reasons I eat very little unfermented soy, but I do eat some of this stuff. To me it's texture is "more like cornbread than cornbread" (very agreeable), and it even tastes like cornbread (don't ask me how soy grits accomplishes that).
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
That tackle company doesn't tell a shipping cost till you have an order, and give them all your name, address, etc info. Better price per bottle tho! (at least before adding shipping)
Billie, if you really want to purchase the flavoring, I found it at a much cheaper price at Betty's Country Store. It was hard to find and not sure how I did in the first place. But at the top of the web page on the left side is 'product search'. If you look in that box you can do a search for 'Superior Flavoring'. Once you click you will see the page where you can choose your flavors. They list it as just 'Corn', not 'Fresh Corn'. I called them the other day and their shipping is a bit cheaper as well. You cannot order by phone, darn. You have to do it through their web site. But you will save a bit ordering from them. Interesting store, food items AND fishing items. Let us know if you order it.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
Apparently fishermen add the corn flavoring to their bait. Fish like corn, too.
BeckyM is offline   Reply With Quote