Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Looking for a vintage recipe...icebox cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/757223-looking-vintage-recipe-icebox-cake.html)

Mackenzie 02-10-2012 11:34 AM

Looking for a vintage recipe...icebox cake
 
My Mom used to make an icebox cake that had strawberry gelatin, crushed pineapple, heavy cream and it was layered between graham cracker crumbs, and had crushed graham cracker crumbs on top. I know what the ingredients were but never found out how she made it. Is anyone familiar with this recipe? Mom made it back in the 50's and 60's....

TIA
Mackenzie

Nelle Belle 02-10-2012 01:12 PM

Summer Recipe: No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake | The Kitchn

Mackenzie 02-10-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelle Belle (Post 15405954)

That looks so good.........but the recipe I am looking for had strawberry gelatin mixed in with the heavy cream (whipped) and then mixed with crushed pineapple. My Mom is senile and doesn't remember the recipe. It was a family favorite growing up.......so light and tasty.

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm hoping someone remembers the one that was popular in the 50's and 60's.............

Mackenzie 02-12-2012 09:58 AM

I was hoping someone had an original icebox recipe from the 50's. I know the ingredients for this treat but don't know how much of them to mix in. It filled a 9x13 pan...............Mom has dementia and can't remember it....:cry:

Ann Lytle 02-12-2012 10:25 AM

My Mom, also in that time period, used to make an Ice Box cake, but she just made the caked, poked holes with a fork, pored Jello over it, let it sit in fridge till set. Then spread crushed, drained pineapple on top with whipped cream over all. She also made what she called Fluff. Strawberry Jello, cooled and mixed with Cool Whip. It had a crushed graham cracker bottom and top. The middle was layers with whole Graham crackers in between each layer, I loved it. Maybe your Mom combined the two............ Ann

Mackenzie 02-12-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Lytle (Post 15410460)
My Mom, also in that time period, used to make an Ice Box cake, but she just made the caked, poked holes with a fork, pored Jello over it, let it sit in fridge till set. Then spread crushed, drained pineapple on top with whipped cream over all. She also made what she called Fluff. Strawberry Jello, cooled and mixed with Cool Whip. It had a crushed graham cracker bottom and top. The middle was layers with whole Graham crackers in between each layer, I loved it. Maybe your Mom combined the two............ Ann

Thanks for responding Ann. I remember the jello poke cake. I made it a couple of times myself. I just got an email from my sister-in-law after I asked if she knew the recipe? She makes a different icebox cake but told me I should dissolve the strawberry gelatin, let it cool and then fold in Whipped heavy cream and then mix in drained crushed pineapple and layer with the graham crackers and then refrigerate it. She is a fabulous cook and once had a local tv show teaching sewing and cooking. I don't know why I didn't ask her before for this recipe??? Anyway, I will try it next weekend and report back on how it turns out. Thanks!

Tilly 02-12-2012 03:26 PM

So you are looking for a Poke Cake? Not sure what you are looking for but this is very good:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...poke-cake.html

Mackenzie 02-12-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15411248)
So you are looking for a Poke Cake? Not sure what you are looking for but this is very good:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...poke-cake.html

Tilly.....It wasn't a poke cake.. I know how to make those. The recipe I'm looking for was a refrigerated cake. Mom made it in a 9x13 pan...putting graham crackers on the bottom....then mixing strawberry gelatin with drained crushed pineapple mixed with heavy cream whipped. It had two layers of the filling with graham crackers in between and crushed graham crackers all over the top. Mom would refrigerate it for several hours and then cut it in squares. It was so light and delicious and not overly sweet. I know the ingredients but I don't know exactly how she made it and what the size of the ingredients were? It was my favorite dessert growing up and my Mom has dementia now and can't remember it. I wish I got a copy of it years ago.....:cry:

Thanks for responding.....I'm hoping someone will remember this wonderful recipe. I've searched online to no avail.....:(

Charski 02-12-2012 06:44 PM

Mac, I found a few, but this sounded maybe like what you remember, just use whipped cream instead of cool whip??

Ingredients

Applesauce - (use your crushed pineapple here instead)
JellO (whatever flavor(s) you like) - I usually use the sugar free jello so the box is the 0.3oz (8.5g) size (rather small)
Instant Vanilla Pudding
Graham Crackers
Cool Whip

How to make it

Since you can do this anyway YOU want, this is just how we have always done it.
Combine JellO and Applesauce - general rule is 1 C applesauce to 1 box dry JellO - use as many or as few flavors as you like; we usually do a red and a green color.
Prepare vanilla pudding according to box instructions.
Assembly:
Lay down a base of graham crackers.
Spread a layer of applesauce mixture down.
Put down another layer of graham crackers - this time changing the direction you lay them. Doing this with each layer of crackers helps keep the cake stable.
Next a layer of vanilla pudding.
Then another layer of graham crackers.
Keep layering like this, ending with a layer of graham crackers on top.
Chill for at least one hour.
"Frost" with Cool Whip.
We've always made this in advance so that the graham crackers got nice and soft. It made the flavors amazing together and makes for easier cutting too!
***To make it low-cal/diabetic friendly:
Simply substitute all ingredients as sugar free or light!!

Mackenzie 02-12-2012 06:54 PM

That sounds good Charski!! But there was no pudding in this recipe. All I remember is heavy cream (whipped), crushed pineapple, strawberry gelatin and the graham crackers (layered whole and finely crushed for the top layer) I have been searching for years for this recipe....I truly hope I find it.....thanks for posting.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15411650)
Mac, I found a few, but this sounded maybe like what you remember, just use whipped cream instead of cool whip??

Ingredients

Applesauce - (use your crushed pineapple here instead)
JellO (whatever flavor(s) you like) - I usually use the sugar free jello so the box is the 0.3oz (8.5g) size (rather small)
Instant Vanilla Pudding
Graham Crackers
Cool Whip

How to make it

Since you can do this anyway YOU want, this is just how we have always done it.
Combine JellO and Applesauce - general rule is 1 C applesauce to 1 box dry JellO - use as many or as few flavors as you like; we usually do a red and a green color.
Prepare vanilla pudding according to box instructions.
Assembly:
Lay down a base of graham crackers.
Spread a layer of applesauce mixture down.
Put down another layer of graham crackers - this time changing the direction you lay them. Doing this with each layer of crackers helps keep the cake stable.
Next a layer of vanilla pudding.
Then another layer of graham crackers.
Keep layering like this, ending with a layer of graham crackers on top.
Chill for at least one hour.
"Frost" with Cool Whip.
We've always made this in advance so that the graham crackers got nice and soft. It made the flavors amazing together and makes for easier cutting too!
***To make it low-cal/diabetic friendly:
Simply substitute all ingredients as sugar free or light!!


Charski 02-12-2012 06:55 PM

I think you could ditch the pudding in favor of more whipped cream.

I've searched and searched and can't find anything exactly like what you're describing - maybe it was your Mom's own invention, or tweakage of somebody else's recipe?

Mackenzie 02-13-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15411674)
I think you could ditch the pudding in favor of more whipped cream.

I've searched and searched and can't find anything exactly like what you're describing - maybe it was your Mom's own invention, or tweakage of somebody else's recipe?




I've done the same thing............I was hoping someone would remember it since my Mom wasn't a baker, I'm sure she got the recipe from someone. It was a fabulous dessert...........light and not overly sweet. :D If I come across the recipe, I will definitely post it.

Ann Lytle 02-13-2012 05:22 AM

You're welcome MacKenzie, will be watching to see if it's what you've been searching for............. Ann

Susan_C 02-14-2012 09:14 AM

Here are 3 for you to check out.

Jell-O Cake

Grandma Alvies’ Pineapple Cake | What Amanda Made

Mackenzie 02-14-2012 05:47 PM

Wow Susan! I got so excited when I checked out Grandma Alvies Pineapple Cake. The picture looks so much like the recipe Mom made. There were no marshmallows in it but I'm wondering if I might make a few changes to this recipe? There also weren't any eggs in it, at least I don't think so. I'm going to see my Mom this week at the nursing home and I pray she will be able to recall what she did making it. I'm praying she has one of her "good days". Who knows? I might get lucky? If I do I will definitely post the recipe since I know everyone will enjoy it! Thanks so much!

ninanna 03-13-2013 11:51 AM

Mackenzie, my mother also made this with a slight variation. Here is her recipe and see if it brings back any memories.

1 cup sugar 1/2 cup boiling water
juice of 2 lemons 1 box strawberry jello
vanilla wafers 1 can cream (large) (evaporated milk)
1 large can crushed pineapple

Whip cream and set aside. Line 9x9 pan with vanilla wafers.

Combine water, jello, and sugar. Let disolve then add lemon juice and pineapple. Fold into whipped cream, pour into dish, add vanilla wafers (standing up) all around sides, freeze, and enjoy!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.