Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Rice Recipes

Yeah I said it! Rice. I have fallen in love with Miracle Rice, I think possibly even more than the noodles. I just made a quick soup with MR, chicken broth, rotel, and shaved mozzarella cheese

I need rice recipes. Stuffed things (the only thing I can think of is bell peppers and they are kind of high in carbs), casseroles, anything you got. It can be a high carb recipe, I can de-carb it. I just don't know where to start.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Lobster Dien Bien

These two dishes were originally made with rice cooked in some of the seafood stock. You might like to try your Miracle Rice in one of these:
Lobster Dien Bien

Shrimp and/or Crawfish Dien Bien

I lived in Hampton, Virginia in high school and my family often drove to Yorktown 30 miles away to eat at this wonderful restaurant called Nick’s Seafood Pavilion, operated by a Greek family. Sadly, Nick's no longer exists. But I often think fondly of one of their signature dishes, Lobster Dien Bien. My Dad and Mom managed to concoct their own version of the dish over time. My version is not quite the same, because I have to modify it for low-carb eating, but it’s real close. The original dish had 1 cup of rice (cooked in lobster stock) stirred in right before serving. This dish reminds me of a Spanish paella, but on Atkins, we could serve this seafood dish over steamed cauli-rice or simple oven-baked eggplant slices. I can’t get very good lobster in Central Texas, so I fix this more often with shrimp now. It’s divine with lobster and quite good with shrimp and even large sea scallops. I have also made it with fresh lump white crab meat (when I lived on the Gulf Coast). As is true of most seafood dishes, this one really packs in the nutrients! This dish is OK for Induction.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. lobster meat, cut in bite-size pieces (or shrimp or crawfish tails, shelled)
1 stick unsalted butter
½ c. onion, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 2 oz. jar pimiento, drained
1/3 c. parsley, chopped
¼-½ tsp. cayenne pepper
10 drops Tobasco
½ tsp. ground thyme

DIRECTIONS: Saute onion, celery and carrot in melted butter until onion and celery are completely tender. Add parsley and pimiento. Add seafood and remaining seasonings. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes only. For non-Atkins diners, add some cooked rice. For Atkins diners, serve with steamed cauli-rice, spaghetti squash, sauteed mushrooms or oven-baked eggplant slices. (To steam cauli-rice, grate or food process raw cauliflower to fine grains and steam in microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute).

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each with:

465.7 calories
33 g fat
9.1 g carbs
2.3 g fiber
6.8 g NET CARBS
32.3 g protein
283 g sodium

Last edited by buttoni; 02-10-2012 at 11:14 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I add miracle rice to my cabbage, laughing cow, chicken (or shrimp) mixture. lots of tasty bulk for no cals. I also love curried "rice" and chicken.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
What is miracle rice and where do you find it?

I make a stuffed pepper casserole for my dh. And it goes like this.

Stuffed pepper casserole

2 cups of cooked rice
1 can diced tomatos
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 green bell pepper chopped
1/2 chopped onion
1 lb. cooked hamburger
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning

Saute the onion , bell pepper, and mix it all together. Pour into a casserole dish and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350.

I think the only thing you would have to change is the rice.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I miss my jasmine rice sooooooo much--maybe the smell of it cooking as much as the taste but dang I miss it--maybe there could be a replacement?????
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Wow, I never heard of miracle rice, but I'm off to Whole Foods to see if they carry it. Otherwise I'll order it online. I'm thinking any stir-fry recipe served over rice, or you could just mix the rice in to make more of a casserole dish.

And if I like them AT ALL, I'll try my old stuffed grape leaves recipe (ground beef or lamb, onions, and rice), but I'll have to dig it out.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Ok, here are my two favorite recipes that contain rice:

Cheeseburger Pitas

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup cooked long grain rice
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
4 pita breads (6 inches), halved

Directions

In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Stir in cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Spoon 1/2 cup into each pita half. Yield: 4 servings.

I eat the above one in low carb pitas or tortillas now, and omit the rice. I think it would be good with your miracle rice. The next one is more rice-based. It tastes like chili rellenos! I'm going to fix it with cauliflower next week. Both recipes are from Taste of Home magazine and website.

Green Chili Rice Casserole Recipe
Ingredients

4 cups cooked rice
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream

Directions

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Is it just like the Shiratake Noodles, only cut into rice size pieces? I saw some on Olive Nation for $2.99 per bag and it looks just like that, cut up Shirataki noodles and it's made by the same people. Please let me know, okay. TIA
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Is Miracle Rice anything like Miracle Noodles? If so, I will stick with cauliflower.

Just wondering, why is the Dien Bien a little on the high carb side? Is seafood high in carbs?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Yes, some seafoods have carbs. Lobster has 1.8 carbs per cup. Plus, jsut look how many different veggies are in it, Tilly, including pimiento. Carbs add up, even small amounts per veggie ingredient.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-11-2012 at 07:19 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Netrition sells them
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Stuffed grape leaves would be good - a little lean ground lamb or beef and this "rice" and some Greek seasonings, topped with a lemony hollandaise - mmmm mouth watering.

Rice pilaf, chicken and rice casserole, rice pudding?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I use them in soup and also love it in yogurt.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
For the entire month of February they’re giving away a free digital copy of their 87 page Cookbook and Diet Plan (normally sold for $29.99). Download your free copy now!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Thank you Billie!

This afternoon I made Spanish Rice with ground beef and the Miracle Rice. I was one who could *not* stomach the texture of the shirataki noodles, but the rice I love. I squirt a little lemon over the rice after rinsing, or into the soaking water, and that funky smell is gone immediately.
pendragginp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Thank you Billie!

This afternoon I made Spanish Rice with ground beef and the Miracle Rice. I was one who could *not* stomach the texture of the shirataki noodles, but the rice I love. I squirt a little lemon over the rice after rinsing, or into the soaking water, and that funky smell is gone immediately.
hmmm, that's good to know. I might give the "rice" a try if I find it anywhere. Good tip on the lemon juice, too.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

Thanks for that link, Billie! I downloaded it!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Ya'll are welcome!! I downloaded it to!

I guess sometimes it is good when your "smeller" don't work too well. (Unfortunately, sometimes it works overtime! ) But I hardly ever smell anything off or "fishy" as some people say about the noodles. Even when I first open the package! Guess it's a blessing. But I do still rinse them VERY well!
I've opened a package of the Konjac (not Miracle Noodle) noodles I bought the other day. I've rinsed them, and now have them draining. Still trying to make up my mind what I'm gonna fix. And I need to get it done. NEED to eat!! I THINK they are the fettuccine, but May be the linguine! They aren't marked!!! (MsWoods & I have had a conversation going on about that in her Everything Shiratake... sticky thread.)

The Pasta Pie (but adding some ham or browned hamburger - I know not vegetarian) to it sounds like something I may try sometime. But not right now, gotta do something quicker today.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Ya'll are welcome!! I downloaded it to!

I guess sometimes it is good when your "smeller" don't work too well. (Unfortunately, sometimes it works overtime! ) But I hardly ever smell anything off or "fishy" as some people say about the noodles. Even when I first open the package! Guess it's a blessing. But I do still rinse them VERY well!
I've opened a package of the Konjac (not Miracle Noodle) noodles I bought the other day. I've rinsed them, and now have them draining. Still trying to make up my mind what I'm gonna fix. And I need to get it done. NEED to eat!! I THINK they are the fettuccine, but May be the linguine! They aren't marked!!! (MsWoods & I have had a conversation going on about that in her Everything Shiratake... sticky thread.)

The Pasta Pie (but adding some ham or browned hamburger - I know not vegetarian) to it sounds like something I may try sometime. But not right now, gotta do something quicker today.

I opened a package and the smell was overwhelming. The noodles did not smell, and I tried hard to eat them but just could not. Not sure why. That brain put too much thought into them! Now if someone put them in front of me without telling me, I'm sure I would have snarfed them down. Anyway, I downloaded the booklet. Thank you for the link! I may just stick with Zoodles.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks for the cookbook link. I think you could use Dreamfield's if you don't care for the shirataki stuff in the recipes.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
Thanks for the tip on the free download. I'm looking forward to checking out the recipes.
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks for the download--I have it saved in my recipe file. During the summer I often cook up a bunch of veggies at lunchtime (broccoli, pea pods, green onions, squash, whatever is on hand) and stir-fry in a bunch of rinsed and drained shiritake noodles, cut into 4" pieces. If I feel like I need a little protein, I add a few shrimp or a little cut-up chicken.

For the sauce, I mix up a concoction of rice vinegar, sweetener (I use erythritol and sweetzfree), catsup, hot peppers, sugar free hot chili garlic sauce (found in some grocery stores and in all Asian markets) , grated fresh ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, and peanut butter. For an extra added kick, stir in some chopped fresh cilantro.

This makes a lot, but is so low carb and so low calorie, that it's okay to eat it all in one sitting.

I would definitely like to try this with the miracle rice, as I love the shiritake noodles that I'm currently using!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I made stuffed green peppers with the rice shirataki when I had it. Pretty darn good!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
I am going to have to look into this.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Chicken and Rice Jambalaya

I haven't tried Miracle Rice, but I came across this recipe in my local paper and thought I'd like to give it a shot.

Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 minutes

4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks (15 ounces)
Salt and pepper
1/2 Tbs olive oil
3 oz chicken-and-turkey andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
1 tsp adobo powder
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup reduced=sodium chicken broth
Two 8-ounce packages of Miracle Rice, rinsed
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over med-heat. Once oil has stated to smoke, add chicken. Brown for 2-3 min, turning once. Remove chicken and add sausage, brown for 1 min, turning once.
Add the adobo and chili powder and cook for 30 sec. Add onion, reduce to med-low heat and caramelize until soft and browned, 6-8 min. Add peppers and garlic, cook until soft, about 2-min.
Add chicken, broth, Miracle Rice and black beans. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, over med to low heat about 5-min, or until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened.

Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat; 103 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 862 mg sodium.

I'm planning on cutting back on carbs by using pork andouille sausage and maybe less onion and peppers.

FYI: The recipe states that this dish gets better with time, so don't hesitate to make it up to 24 hours in advance.
sofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
Gadget Gal

So did the original recipe call for the rice to be cooked or uncooked when added to the dish? I'd like to use quinoa and can add it either way, just not sure which the original would have called for.

Sounds delicious!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Charski

I read the recipe again and doesn't specify cooked or uncooked. It just says rinsed Miracle Rice and then it's added in the last step with the chicken, broth and beans. I'm assuming it's added uncooked, but I've never cooked with any of the "Miracle" products, so I'm not sure. Sorry.
sofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I love this stuff. My Miracle Rice came yesterday and here is what I made for lunch:

1 lb ground beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (only used 1/2 of it)
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
pinch of oregano
1 cup italian cheese, shredded
1 bag Miracle Rice
Salt and pepper

Browned the ground beef along with the onion and garlic. Drained the fat and added the chopped tomatoes (with some of the juice), basil, oregano, salt and pepper, and italian cheese.

Meanwhile, rinsed and drained the bag of rice. Put it in a dry hot skillet for a couple minutes to get rid of excess moisture. Then added the rice to the ground beef mixture.

Cooked and stirred for a couple minutes.

This was excellent.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I tried making rice pudding with 1 1/2 cups Almond Breeze, 5 egg whites, a tablespoon glucomannan, vanilla, cinammon, sweetener, and a bag of Miracle Rice.

It was quite good while it was hot and I thought it would make a wonderful hot cereal for breakfast, but once it got cold, it tasted like glue and I threw it out.

Now I have to order more and think I'll stick to main course recipes. Want to try chicken and rice for sure.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I think this question was asked, but not exactly answered. I have the noodles, but wonder if I could make them into "rice" by processing them some way. Has anyone tried it?
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote