Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low carb flour/mix substitutions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/757013-low-carb-flour-mix-substitutions.html)

bill_co 02-09-2012 08:56 AM

Low carb flour/mix substitutions

I'm quite a newbie in the low carb arena especially in baking and am looking for "the best" low carb substitutes for "standard" flours/mixes in baking (cakes, muffins, yeast and quick breads, pancakes) recipes. Low carb is my only objective, gluten/calories/etc. are not a problem.

My searches have provided a lot of information, but quite varied and requiring so many different ingredents. Jen Emhoff's low carb mixes seem to be rather straight forward, but I am a bit confused as to how to substitute in the regular recipes -- are additional adjustments needed? :confused:

Charski 02-09-2012 09:00 AM

You can bank on Jen Eloff's recipes! I've never had a bad one.

I believe she offers suggestions as to substituting - check out her website. Some recipes (if they are other than her own) and depending on which mix you're using, you may need an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of her mix over the amount of flour called for.

Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule for substituting - the best bet is to pick a recipe which has plenty of good comments and follow it to the letter, at least the first time!

Get Jen's cookbooks - they're fantastic - ANY of them, and her most recent collaboration with other LC gurus is wonderful too. There is an entire thread on this forum devoted to recipes from that book!

Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uve-tried.html

bill_co 02-09-2012 09:22 AM

Specific example

Thanks Charski -- I had looked quite a bit at Jen Elhoff's site (pardon the misspelling -- going from memory and that fails me quite often). A a newbie to both the low carb and any form of cooking, I'm sort of slow. As a for example question, I have a recipe for a muffin that I would like to try -- it calls for one each cup of whole wheat and white flour. So which of her mixes would I use.

Thanks in advance.

Charski 02-09-2012 11:34 AM

Can you post the entire recipe, Bill? That would give us a better idea what would work - and Jen herself is a member here, she may stop by with recommendations too!

BTW welcome aboard - it can be a bit daunting at first, but there are lots of very talented cooks on this board who will gladly help you! Take it a small step at a time and before long you'll be a pro at it too.

ravenrose 02-09-2012 12:08 PM

it's simply not that simple! what works in one context doesn't in another... that is why there are so many options. if people just wanted low carb stuff, it wouldn't be so bad, but they expect it to resemble the high carb items! you know what I mean... LOL

bill_co 02-09-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15402242)
Can you post the entire recipe, Bill? That would give us a better idea what would work - and Jen herself is a member here, she may stop by with recommendations too!

BTW welcome aboard - it can be a bit daunting at first, but there are lots of very talented cooks on this board who will gladly help you! Take it a small step at a time and before long you'll be a pro at it too.

Here it is (less the directions):
Carrot Zucchini Muffins Recipe

Makes 6 muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup of white flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup of fresh unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp of vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Charski 02-09-2012 08:23 PM

Well PERSONALLY - I'd use the recipe as-is except substituting 3 to 4 cups of blanched almond flour (not meal, but flour) for the 2 cups of flour called for. I'd also ditch the canola oil in favor of a healthier oil, like coconut or light olive or rice bran oil.

Of course, you'll substitute sweetener for the sugar - me, I'd use 1 cup erythritol and 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals NoCarbs blend, but you could use Splenda or whatever you have.

AND I'd use 1.5 cups zucchini and 1/2 cup carrots, because carrots are higher in carbs by a long shot than zucchini.

These are NOT gonna be really low in carbs, due to the carrots and applesauce, plus if you use granular Splenda it's 24 carbs per cup - but they will certainly be LOWER carb than the original recipe! :)

TBipp 02-09-2012 08:28 PM

So glad you posted your response, Charski. I never realized that one must use more almond flour than wheat flour when converting a conventional carb recipe to low carb. It makes sense now that I think about it as a cup of almond flour does not weigh as much as a cup of all purpose wheat flour.

Charski 02-09-2012 08:30 PM

I read someplace, on this board, that a substitution of almond flour (not meal) vs. regular flour runs about 2:1 - I've tried it a number of times with pretty good results, but sometimes it takes 1.5:1, so you gotta have a good feel for what the batter should be like - I love the Honeyville Grains blanched almond meal, I can't think of anything I've tried with it that did not turn out at least GOOD, if not better!

Since Bill's recipe already has baking powder/soda in it, that's what I'd try.

I think one of Jen's mixes will work fine too, I just don't have as much experience as she does substituting the mix for flour. I hope she'll see this and give her advice too!

bill_co 02-09-2012 08:31 PM

I've been grinding my almonds but guess I'm getting meal in lieu of flour, so guess that would mean buying Bob's flour (the only one seen locally).

Also, why so much more volume of almond flour than the original?

Thanks
Bill

Charski 02-09-2012 08:37 PM

Bill, what you're getting is almond meal - there is nothing wrong with it, but the blanched almond flour is a much fluffier, lighter product and will give you closer to the original flour-filled recipe, IMHO.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the original" - you mean volume of flour vs. volume of nuts? Or vs. volume of real flour??

BeckyM 02-10-2012 07:26 AM

Jennifer has a recipe on her website (also in the new cookbook) for Carrot Cake Loaf that combines carrots and zucchini. Perhaps that might work for muffins, and you would know you were getting a tried and true recipe. It is made with her Gluten-Free bake mix.

bill_co 02-10-2012 09:05 AM

Clarification and volume/weight conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15403616)
Bill, what you're getting is almond meal - there is nothing wrong with it, but the blanched almond flour is a much fluffier, lighter product and will give you closer to the original flour-filled recipe, IMHO.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the original" - you mean volume of flour vs. volume of nuts? Or vs. volume of real flour??

Original = 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup of white flour
You had 3 - 4 cups. By weigh that would be ~ 260 grams flour in the original recipe compared to ~392 grams (using 3.5c) in your suggestion).

Wish more recipes would give ingredients (esp. dry) by weight rather than volume. I have Ursula Solom's Low Carb Baking and Dessert book wherein, one of the first devices she suggests are digital kitchen scales. I got the best rated one (EatSmart Precision Pro) but, with most recipes, it is useless. Somewhere on the Internet I located several conversions, but they varied quite a bit. So, have been compiling a conversion for many of the ingredients. Have ended using data on Netrition's site (many of Bob's) -- surely the mfgrs will be accurate on the labeling. Hopefully, it will make the mixing a bit easier and more accurate.

I would be glad to post this, after a bit more fine tuning, if you think it would be of use to the members. Any suggestions as to how/where?

Charski 02-10-2012 09:06 AM

Becky, that's a good find, and exactly what I was talking about - a "tried 'n true" recipe that is already low-carbed for you is a good place to start.

Once you get a feel for LC ingredients/sweetening/baking times, then experiment freely! :)

Charski 02-10-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_co (Post 15404752)
You had 3 - 4 cups. By weigh that would be ~ 260 grams flour in the original recipe compared to ~392 grams (using 3.5c) in your suggestion).

Wish more recipes would give ingredients (esp. dry) by weight rather than volume. I have Ursula Solom's Low Carb Baking and Dessert book wherein, one of the first devices she suggests are digital kitchen scales. I got the best rated one (EatSmart Precision Pro) but, with most recipes, it is useless. Somewhere on the Internet I located several conversions, but they varied quite a bit. So, have been compiling a conversion for many of the ingredients. Have ended using data on Netrition's site (many of Bob's) -- surely the mfgrs will be accurate on the labeling. Hopefully, it will make the mixing a bit easier and more accurate.

I would be glad to post this, after a bit more fine tuning, if you think it would be of use to the members. Any suggestions as to how/where?

Bill, LindaSue MAY have something like this on her website, if I recall - but it never hurts to have the info here and I'd post it on this forum and then ask the mods if they'd make it a Sticky so it goes in the top column and stays there.

As for the amount, the reason I state 3 to 4 cups vs. an exact amount given in weight, is that it's one of those batters where I'd start with 3 cups and assess the consistency of the batter, then adjust by adding more if needed.

I bought a digital postal scale from eBay many years ago which has served me well. I love the tare feature, and that I can switch from grams to ounces. Yes, it would be very nice if every recipe gave amounts by weight - I'm generally too lazy and in too much of a hurry to do that for every recipe I make though! :o :laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 02-10-2012 09:13 AM

Thanks Char and Becki! :)

Bill, Becki is right there is a recipe in the new cookbook.

However, if you want to use this one, it would depend on which bake mix you would like to use. Do you want a gluten-free one or the lower carb one that contains gluten? The instructions with the gluten-free one (on LCF's) help you to understand how to use it.

I would use 2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake mix or 2 1/8 cups Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix. Follow the instructions for these bake mixes.

For the gluten-free, you'd need an extra egg, withhold at least 1/4 cup of the wet/liquid ingredients and add as necessary to get the correct batter consistency. If you accidentally make it too moist, add a bit more bake mix.

Char is right about the Canola oil - bad stuff! I was right there at the time it was "discovered" in Canada when I was in my early twenties. I worked for the engineering company in Ontario. Yep, they were engineers - not nutritionists.

As you can tell, some baking experience is necessary. Best to go with tried and true recipes until you feel a bit more experienced; does not take long to get the hang of it.

CARROT ZUCCHINI LOAF
“Carrot Cake and frosting rated a 10 from my hubby! I think you could market this....,” said Vicki Allwardt. This recipe is in Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume 1. Instead of a loaf, you can put the batter in a muffin tray for muffins.

1 3/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (425 mL)
page___
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
3/4 tsp nutmeg (3 mL)
1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/4 tsp cloves (1 mL)
1/4 tsp ginger (1 mL)
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
4 eggs
Liquid sucralose to equal 2/3 cup (150 mL) SPLENDAŽ Granular
1/2 cup olive oil (125 mL)
1/3 cup granulated erythritol (75 mL)
1/2 cup grated zucchini (125 mL)
1/2 cup grated carrot (125 mL)
1/3 cup raisins, snipped in half, OR chopped walnuts (75 mL)
Cream Cheese Frosting (Optional):
4 oz light cream cheese, softened (125 g)
1/3 cup SPLENDAŽ Granular (75 mL)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (30 mL)
1 tbsp whipping cream (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 8 x 4 x 3-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan with parchment paper or foil if pan is old and not nonstick. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, cloves, ginger and salt. In food processor with sharp blade, process eggs and liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDAŽ Granular. Add olive oil and erythritol; process. Add dry ingredients and process until thickened, scraping sides once. Stir in zucchini, carrot and raisins, OR chopped walnuts.

Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake 50 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cover loaf lightly with foil in last 10 minutes. Place pan on wire rack and let loaf cool 10 minutes. Remove loaf and remove parchment paper or foil, if using.

Cream Cheese Frosting (Optional): In food processor with sharp blade or in blender, process cream cheese, SPLENDAŽ Granular, butter, whipping cream and vanilla extract until smooth. Frost loaf when cool, if using frosting.

Yield: 18 slices
Raisins/walnuts
131.0/136.0 calories
3.3/3.8 g protein
10.7/11.9 g fat
5.1/3.2 g carbs

Charski 02-10-2012 09:31 AM

Jen, that sounds divine, and I'm sure it is!

Thanks for chiming in with your expert advice - I was hoping you'd wander by! :friends:

That cookbook has SO many wonderful recipes, as do ALL your books. :up:

TBipp 02-10-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_co (Post 15404752)

Like you, I love my digital kitchen scale. The weights of the almond flours do vary by manufacturer but it would be nice to still have weight provided in recipes. It would be a little tougher to provide on sweeteners as those vary so considerably and are more a matter of personal taste. Glad you are willing to post your conversion chart! :clap:

bill_co 02-10-2012 08:21 PM

Thanks Jen

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't hard over for the recipe -- it just looked interesting in their photo. I'll put your's on the list first.

Re. subbing -- guess I'm trying to get ahead of myself -- my DW thinks I'm going overboard of the low carb, but in the month, or so, since doing it my fasting blood sugar is down from 100+ to the 70/80's and am sleeping a bit better. Would like to get one, or more of your books, but have two of Ursula Solom's and need to make some use of them or DW would probably kick me out. Anyway, why should I buy -- you have so many of your really tempting ones already posted?

BTW, you have several bake mix recipes posted -- are there any rules for which to use for what? I'm only low carbing presently -- haven't been concerned with gluten or calories. Lost weight more than I intended with Graves disease but, since the thyroid was nuc'ed, weight has increased a bit. Also have ITP but have not seen any diet solution for that.

Thanks again,
Bill

bill_co 02-10-2012 08:47 PM

Conversion chart/Kitchen scales

Charski/TBipp,

I presently have 100+ items on the chart but not sure all are needed. Presently adding few, but trying to get the most optimum values for each item. Had not seem Linda Sue's, but have some of her items -- I have hijacked a couple others and added quite a number of individual items as they appeared in interesting recipes. The chart now has the ingredient, the measure, weight per measure in oz. and grams and the carbs per 100 grams. Many of the values were taken from netrition's web site and the product labels.

I still tweaking it, so don't know if it is ready to distribute or not. Is there a way it can be posted (sticky) with the ability for me to edit it? Am sure others would have additional or more accurate info and may want to add to it. Some of the values were derived from the serving size and may not be very precise for the cup or 100 grams.

Is there a way I can send it to you comments/suggestions without posting?

Re. kitchen scales -- I have the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital from Amazon at $25. It is great -- I don't often give reviews, except EBay, but did on this one.

bill_co 02-12-2012 06:56 AM

For Jenn

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_co (Post 15406948)
Would like to get one, or more of your books, but have two of Ursula Solom's and need to make some use of them or DW would probably kick me out. Anyway, why should I buy -- you have so many of your really tempting ones already posted?

Thanks again,
Bill

Jen,

I was looking back and noted my comment re. "why should I buy..." and, without knowing me, see how one could take it other than intended. I was trying to be funny, really recognizing your generosity in sharing your works and thoughts and did not mean to insult. I'm not only new to low carbing/cooking but also to blogging. Thought I might be able to edit a post and remove the comment, but did not find a way. Anyway, a public apology is probably in order.

Thanks again,
Bill

Charski 02-12-2012 10:15 AM

LOL Bill! I think we've ALL posted something we'd like to take back!

You CAN edit your posts but only within the first 30 minutes.

Generally, when I'm making a "funny" I use one of the emoticons, like :D or ;) to show I'm just being silly. It's so hard to get a read on what people mean sometimes and yeah, we're just getting to know you! AND I'm glad you're here - I can tell you're going to be a real asset to this forum in particular! :up:

I doubt Jen took any offense to what you said - she's been around boards for many years, and I think her skin is thicker than that! LOVE ME SOME JEN! (AND her books) - you could make amends by buying her cookbooks, I'm sure! :laugh:

bill_co 02-12-2012 01:18 PM

For Charski

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15410290)
LOL Bill! I think we've ALL posted something we'd like to take back!

I doubt Jen took any offense to what you said - she's been around boards for many years, and I think her skin is thicker than that! LOVE ME SOME JEN! (AND her books) - you could make amends by buying her cookbooks, I'm sure! :laugh:

Thanks Char -- a bit of relief and good info. Like stated in the post, I intend to purchase one, or more, of her books, but need to get the last ones off my current CC. Her last one is a bit pricey, but I see some of the earlier ones (used) at a very low cost -- are there "good," "better" and "best" ones?

BTW did you see my post to you and TBipp re. the Conversion chart, editing, notes, etc.? Do you see any way for what I asked, or some alternative? As the list now stands, I would probably par it down to include only the items in which I'm fairly confident in the values.

diwitch 02-12-2012 02:26 PM

Hi Bill,

I would like to see/use the charts, conversions etc, but sadly I can offer no help in how to post them, as a matter of fact my hubby just the other day had to show me how to eliminate the background color from when I 'cut & paste' a recipe from the forum.

Di

Charski 02-12-2012 04:45 PM

Bill, I did see that post and I'm sorry I forgot to respond!

You can only edit for the first 30 minutes, but you CAN ask a Mod to edit for you - each post has a small red triangle with a ! in it in the lower left corner of the post. If you click on that, it will take you directly to a screen addressed to the Mods where you can make your request. This is not to be overused though, or you may get some annoyed comments from the Mods! Ask me how I know! :D

I'd love to take a look at it for you - unfortunately you have to have 25 posts before you can use the PM (private message) function on this board.

So, your choices are, post another 14 messages ASAP, or just go ahead and post your chart here for comments, it can always be titled "work in progress" or something - you can even ask the mods to delete it later after you have a final version.

I'd love to see it "as is" so far though!

Jennifer Eloff 02-12-2012 05:17 PM

'Tis okay, Bill.:cry: You don't need to apologize. :)

LOL Char!! :hugs:

I have posted bake mixes here and they usually come with instructions as well, but if not, you should find that information on my blog; hit the end key and you'll find the popular posts.

My favorite bake mixes: Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix - very easy and a good one if you are not sensitive to gluten as it is lower in carbs than the gluten-free one.

Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix - love this one - especially the taste of it in baked goodies.

Best to use them in tried and true recipes for now until you're used to them. The cookbooks you mention are good (I have them as well - one of them is called Comfort Foods, I think), but if I recall she uses quite a bit of soy and as a guy you should not be having soy - phytoestrogens. Even as a woman, I won't have it due to the negative effect on thyroid function.

It's nice to be able to have the occasional treat. I want to encourage you in your low-carb journey as those are very positive changes you've experienced. Good for you!

watcher513 02-12-2012 05:59 PM

I believe, if I recall correctly, I've read (in Drs. Eades/U. Solom's Comfort Food Cookbook?) that whey protein powder can replace soy protein powder. Now, if it's just soy flour, I don't know.

Linnylamb 02-12-2012 06:03 PM

Welcome to the low carb family, Bill!

I am fortunate to have all of Jenn's low carb cookbooks. One of the reasons I bought them was because of her generous recipe sharing and advice on line. If I had to pick a favorite, I think I'd go with the latest, Low Carbing Among Friends, although you can't go wrong with any of them. When your ready and able, check it out! Very useful, even if you are not gluten free. After all, good is good!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uve-tried.html

Jennifer Eloff 02-12-2012 06:26 PM

Terry - that's true and one could use oat flour or a bake mix instead of soy flour; problem solved. It's a very nice cookbook actually; both of them! :)

Wow, Linny, thank you! That's sweet. I agree with you, Linny - I love the latest cookbook because it's so much stronger and more interesting with collective talent in it and varying styles of cooking and baking. It's quite exciting - even for me. :)

bill_co 02-13-2012 08:55 AM

Conversion chard

For Charski/TBipp/diwitch
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15411294)

I'd love to take a look at it for you - unfortunately you have to have 25 posts before you can use the PM (private message) function on this board.

So, your choices are, post another 14 messages ASAP, or just go ahead and post your chart here for comments, it can always be titled "work in progress" or something - you can even ask the mods to delete it later after you have a final version.

I'd love to see it "as is" so far though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 15404881)
Like you, I love my digital kitchen scale. The weights of the almond flours do vary by manufacturer but it would be nice to still have weight provided in recipes. It would be a little tougher to provide on sweeteners as those vary so considerably and are more a matter of personal taste. Glad you are willing to post your conversion chart! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by diwitch (Post 15410954)
Hi Bill,

I would like to see/use the charts, conversions etc, .....

Di

Char -- I will work both avenues but will post as soon as I can get some instructions and a little more tweaking. Have contacted the "Help" line to see what procedure/format/editing procedure/ etc. would be available. Want to make it presentable and not a mess. Will probably include, primarily, the baking (dry) items first -- those are the ones that seem to be best served via weights. Will add other items as friends suggest.