Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Sounds like a good plan, my man!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bill_co
CARROT CAKE LOAF substitutions

Jen,

I have two of your books ordered. Plan to get your latest one maybe next month.

Question: In your Carrot Cake Loaf (GF) may xylitol be subbed for erythritol and the Splendid LC for the Gluten free?

Would the Loaf recipe work for muffins?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
bill_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks, Bill, for the vote of confidence. I think you would need 1/4 cup less of the Splendid Low-Carb Bake mix and, yes, you may use xylitol and whatever sweeteners you prefer. Just remember to keep xylitol treats away from dogs - deadly poison for them. If you were replacing a small amount of gluten-free bake mix with the Splendid low-carb bake mix (say, 1 cup), you would use 2tbsp less of the latter bake mix. However, if you find the batter too wet/sloppy and you will get used to batters and what they should look like, just add a bit more bake mix - won't hurt the recipe to add it in at the end of mixing.

Yes, it might be easier for you to make muffins out of that loaf recipe. I find one has to line the loaf pans with foil or parchment paper or low-carb loaves can stick and that is major league frustrating!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/273/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted July 22, 2014
I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the threads. I have seen several low carb bake mix substitutes and am interested in trying to create my own. I am unable to use coconut flour due to allergy but one thing I have noticed is none of the bake mixes, except Kevinpa's, use resistant corn starch. I was reading in another thread how good it is for you. Is there some reason why it's not used more? Also, I am trying to avoid wheat so carbalose flour and carbquick aren't options. Is there any info about the function of ingredients like whey protein powder, oat flour or oat fiber (can you substitute one for the other?), quinoa flour? What properties would they add to bake mix?
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Oat flour and oat fiber are not the same. Oat fiber has virtually zero net carbs, not sure about the carb count of oat flour, but I know it's too high for me. I use oat fiber in just about anything that has flax, almond flour, carbquik etc in the recipe. I usually sub 1 to 4 tablespoons of the oat fiber for something else 'flourery' if that makes sense. The oat fiber does tend to 'suck up' liquids so sometimes you have to adjust for that. Basically it adds bulk without adding carbs.

As for the resistant corn starch, I just ordered some from netrition, it should be here today *taps foot impatiently*, so I will be experimenting with it. I want to try some of Kevin's bread recipes.

Di

Last edited by diwitch; 02-15-2012 at 07:06 AM..
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Batter consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
However, if you find the batter too wet/sloppy and you will get used to batters and what they should look like, just add a bit more bake mix - won't hurt the recipe to add it in at the end of mixing.

Thanks Jenn -- To any and all. Are there "rules of thumb" re. batter consistency? Like a few words describing the best consistency for various goods, e.g., cakes, breads (yeast and quick), muffins, pancakes, waffles, cookies. For example, from what I have seen, for the best pancakes, it seems that one should be able to pour the batter - I do not want my pancakes very fluffy.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you are probably right about the pancakes, Bill. It depends on the recipe.

Muffin and loaf batters are thicker (wet but not too thick and not really pourable either) than a cake batter which is more pourable. Cookie batters are thicker than both of those - quite thick. Tough to explain actually. I know just by looking at the batter and putting a spoon through it but I have so much experience and it's not fair to expect you to know right off the bat. Trial and error will help you. If by chance the batter for a muffin recipe was too wet/sloppy, you would need to bake it longer to get it to cook through. Just do you dinner knife test in the middle of a muffin or loaf - if it comes out pretty clean, then your baked goodies are ready. Some people use a tooth pick or a cake tester to test the baked goodies for doneness. Waffles - pourable usually but can be quite thick too.

Very admirable that you are doing this. Soon you will be a pro.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-15-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Thaks

Jen, you are a jewel -- that helps quite a lot.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Jen's recipes are wonderful! The past 2 weeks I have made her pumpkin bread and banana breads and I swear they taste like high carb.
I mix up a huge quantity of Jen's mixes (I am goofy, I make some of each one she has posted and then mix them all together in a big container because I like the ingredients
of them all and can't figure out just one that I like best!) at a time. I use hers for almost everything except bread. For raised yeast breads I use Kevin's (look at the thread for KevinPa)mix. And I have used both resistant wheat and resistant corn starches in his mix. I can't really tell the difference.
There is a lot of information and recipes on this forum. Great advice from everyone
also. Still, some things are "trial and error" but hopefully still edible! Good luck and
have fun!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp2009 - well, you have found out a little secret - interesting! Wonderful that you're having such success with your mix (yep, I think you can call it yours now. lol) I love it when low-carb baking tastes high carb, don't you? Thank you for your kind words.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

You are welcome Jen and thank YOU!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Muffin and loaf batters are thicker (wet but not too thick and not really pourable either) than a cake batter which is more pourable.
Very admirable that you are doing this. Soon you will be a pro.
Jen, I made your AUNTY MARIE’S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS last night and they are really good. Your were right in another post that these goods tend to be sticky. I used muffin cups and they even stuck to them but that's OK -- that ended up in the same place. I didn't have the DiVince, so just added 2T almond milk and the sweetness was just fine. Since my baked goods have been turning out quite crumbly, I added about 2 tsp guar gum, so that could have contributed. The batter was the thickest of any muffin I had tried, but they rose real well.

BTW, the ingredients call for 1 cup sour cream, but only find only 2/3 in the directions -- don't know what happened to the other 1/3, but it ended up in my mix.

Looking forward to trying some of your others -- any favorites in the muffin/loaf arena? Going to have to slow down a bit tho -- putting on the #'s even w/o all the carbs. Guess I will have to either have guests or start cutting recipes in half.

Last edited by bill_co; 02-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Bill,
So far, my favorite sweet bread recipes are Jennifers banana and pumpkin.
They are moist. Wait to cut them when they are cool or they will crumble a little.
Low carb recipes tend to be pretty delicate that way.
I haven't tried the blueberry muffin recipe...sounds like I should!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Bill - baking too many low-carb goodies can be fattening. Keep it for the weekend and maybe a couple of times a month only and freeze extra baking.

I reread the directions - just says to add the sour cream - the 2/3 cup refers to the Splenda Granular. You did the right thing to add it all. Yep, the guar gum will make the batter very thick and sticky. About 1/4 tsp would have been fine. I'm wondering what is making your baking crumbly. Maybe the whey protein you are using? Not sure. Something is doing it, but you are right the guar gum might help with that.

Have a nice day!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp2009, glad you like those recipes. The blueberry muffins that Bill is referring to are from Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 1, I believe.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinzie02
Stats: 241/234/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 20,2013 Restart
Pioneer Woman Edna Mae Sour Cream Pancakes

Pioneer Woman site posted a Sour Cream Pancake recipe. It called for 6 tbs flour and 2 tbs sugar. I can use splenda for sugar substitute, but what would be the best substitute for the flour?

Ingredients
■1 cup Sour Cream
■7 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
■2 Tablespoons Sugar
■1 teaspoon Baking Soda
■1/2 teaspoon Salt
■2 whole Large Eggs
■1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
■Butter, For Frying And Serving
■Warm Syrup, For Serving
** I will leave out the syrup as just plain butter is all I need for topping**
Old 09-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I would use Jen's gluten free mix for the flour. It's amazing stuff.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Esther.

I would use 9 tbsp of the Gluten-Free Bake Mix as per the instructions for the Gluten-Free Bake Mix that uses gelatin. In this case, it's not necessary to add gelatin although it would be fun! Newest rule is 1 tsp gelatin per cup, so in this case I would use 1/2 tsp gelatin, although it is optional as I mentioned.

That is very little "flour" for so much sour cream. I'm so curious about this recipe that I think I will make it too.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinzie02
Stats: 241/234/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 20,2013 Restart
Thanks Jennifer and Esther. I will try that. If you go to Pioneer Woman website she posts beautiful pictures of her recipes with step by step instructions. These look amazing. She comments that it doesn't sound like enough flour but says it is. It was her mother in laws recipe. I will get the replacement for flour this weekend and give it a try. Let me know what you think.
twinzie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Twinzie, hope I get to you before you try the recipe. I just got back from the kitchen trying the pancake recipe. As written with 9 tbsp Gluten-Free Bake Mix (no gelatin or xanthan gum), the pancakes were eggy tasting. I increased the Bake Mix to 1 cup and they were better, however, they needed to cook until they were very dark on the one side, and then only could I flip them. So not an ideal substitute in this recipe. I'd be inclined to suggest oat flour or buckwheat flour. Because such a little is used, they will still be low-carb. I also found using butter was not a great idea - the bits that are not covered by pancake batter burn pretty quickly. Light-tasting olive oil works the best.

Here is a recipe that I've used before with success:

SOUR CREAM PANCAKES
Substantial pancakes which are great alongside sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast, or topped with Crème Fraiche and fresh strawberries or blueberries or make a sauce out of the fruit. I actually like these cold with my healthy butter and peanut butter.

4 eggs
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
1 cup water (250 mL)
1/2 cup half-and-half cream, OR (125 mL)
heavy cream
Liquid sucralose to equal 1/4 cup (60 mL)
SPLENDA® Granular
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, (560 mL)
page___ (use almond flour in the bake mix – optimal for this recipe)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)

In food processor, process eggs. Add sour cream, water, half-and-half cream, OR heavy cream, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular and vanilla extract; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, page___, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth.

Pour by 1/4 cupfuls (60 mL) or 3 tablespoonfuls (45 mL) onto very lightly greased (use a pastry brush in the olive oil) nonstick pan over medium heat. Cook until bubbles form and pancake sets. Flip and cook other side on a lower heat and flip again and again if necessary to make sure the inside is cooked. Time the procedure, if desired, to get it down to a fine art. Repeat with remaining pancake batter, only greasing pan as required.

Helpful Hint: If desired, add fresh blueberries to the batter.

Yield: 20 to 27 pancakes
4 or 3 tbsp per pancake
120.3/89.1 calories
4.0/2.9 g protein
9.6/7.1 g fat
3.8/2.8 g net carbs
Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S.

I failed to mention that I did enjoy the recipe with the 1 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix substitution in the pancake recipe, even although they were darker in color than I'm normally used to. They tasted just fine. I used 2 tbsp batter per pancake and brushed the pan with a bit of olive oil each time.