Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
Homemade dressings

I would love if somebody has good dressing recipes. I prefer creamy dressings as opposed to oil based dressings. All I've done is ranch and I'm tired of it. Thanks!
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Make a batch of my homemade mayo and add some of the things noted below to it for a number of different dressings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. olive oil
1 T. coconut oil (optional if you want a thicker mayonnaise)
1 egg
1 T. chopped yellow onion
Dash each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder
5-10 drops vinegar of your choice (or lemon juice)

DIRECTIONS: Place egg and chopped onion into blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. The making of the emulsion is done with repeated taps of the “pulse” button on your machine. With oil in a pourable container, SLOWLY start pouring oil in thin stream into the egg mixture, pulsing every couple seconds. I pour with one hand and pulse with the other. Repeat until all oil is incorporated into the mixture. Finally add all seasonings and vinegar and pulse 1-2 more times. Transfer to lidded glass jar and keep refrigerated. I find it keeps around 10-14 days before I just toss out any that’s left and make a fresh batch. It is normal for it to slightly darken on the surface, so just give it a stir before each use. You’ll know when it has gone bad as it will start to separate, discolor and have an off odor.

In hundreds of batches now, I’ve only had this fail on me two times, if that is encouraging……but it CAN happen. If the mixture just doesn’t emulsify properly for you, just use it for salad dressings or other recipes rather than for mayo. It will still have a good flavor. No need to discard it.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 20 Tablespoons, each contains:

99.25 calories
11.05 g fat
.08 g carbs, .01 g fiber, .07 g NET CARBS
.32 g protein
8 mg. sodium

SALAD DRESSING POSSIBILITIES: (NOT included in nutritional info)

1 tsp. Shawarma Spice Blend (I make my own)

½ c. chopped cilantro, seeded jalapeno & more onion

½ seeded chipotle pepper in adobo sauce & minced garlic

1-2 T. chopped sun-dried tomatoes

dab regular tomato paste

½ tsp. chili powder & minced garlic

½ avocado & 1 seeded jalapeno

¼ c. chopped black olives & 1-2 T.olive oil

Anchovy paste from a tube
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Linda Sue has a bunch on her website.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Misc. Recipes
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Blue cheese dressing

equal parts mayo and sour cream
blue cheese to taste
onion powder
squirt of worchestershire
salt and pepper

whir with a immersion blender (or mash blue cheese with a fork)
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
LC french

1/4 c. lc ketchup
1/2 c. mayo
1 tsp garlic chopped
tad of basil
1/2 onion powder

Mis everything in a bowl well. Chill

Yummy
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Make a batch of my homemade mayo and add some of the things noted below to it for a number of different dressings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. olive oil
1 T. coconut oil (optional if you want a thicker mayonnaise)
1 egg
1 T. chopped yellow onion
Dash each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder
5-10 drops vinegar of your choice (or lemon juice)

DIRECTIONS: Place egg and chopped onion into blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. The making of the emulsion is done with repeated taps of the “pulse” button on your machine. With oil in a pourable container, SLOWLY start pouring oil in thin stream into the egg mixture, pulsing every couple seconds. I pour with one hand and pulse with the other. Repeat until all oil is incorporated into the mixture. Finally add all seasonings and vinegar and pulse 1-2 more times. Transfer to lidded glass jar and keep refrigerated. I find it keeps around 10-14 days before I just toss out any that’s left and make a fresh batch. It is normal for it to slightly darken on the surface, so just give it a stir before each use. You’ll know when it has gone bad as it will start to separate, discolor and have an off odor.

In hundreds of batches now, I’ve only had this fail on me two times, if that is encouraging……but it CAN happen. If the mixture just doesn’t emulsify properly for you, just use it for salad dressings or other recipes rather than for mayo. It will still have a good flavor. No need to discard it.
Buttoni, do you need the chopped yellow onion? I hate using a tiny piece of onion and then what do you do with the rest of it? Or can you chop the whole onion and then freeze it? I have frozen chopped onion before but it may get too watery to use in the recipe, you think?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Buttoni, do you need the chopped yellow onion? I hate using a tiny piece of onion and then what do you do with the rest of it? Or can you chop the whole onion and then freeze it? I have frozen chopped onion before but it may get too watery to use in the recipe, you think?
I freeze leftover chopped onion all the time and it works fine for most recipes where the onion will be cooked. When I make a pizza, I just throw on the onions and chopped bell peppers straight from the freezer if the pizza is one that will be baked for at least 15-20 minutes with the toppings on.

I spread the chopped onions in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with plastic wrap and freeze them. Once they are frozen solid, I dump them into a plastic container. That way they won't be all clumped together. The plastic wrap is optional but it keeps them from freezing onto the metal pan and I can just lift it up by the corners to dump the onions into my container.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Tilly, I find the onion is what makes this mayo so good, so I never leave it out. I always manage to use up onion, in casseroles or Mexican food, so a cut onion isn't a problem for me. I have one of those onion-shaped plastic holders that REALLY do keep the cut onion from smelling up the refrigerator! I stopped freezing onion ages ago because whether I put in in mason jars or triple ziploc bags, it invariable smelled up my freezer.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Leftover onion? I don't understand?

Never happens in this house - I buy onions by the 10 pound bag at Costco and usually have one of sweet and one of red in the house at the same time. DH would eat onions on ice cream, I swear it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Leftover onion? I don't understand?

Never happens in this house - I buy onions by the 10 pound bag at Costco and usually have one of sweet and one of red in the house at the same time. DH would eat onions on ice cream, I swear it!
10 pound bags!!!!!!!!!! And one of each!!!????? Now I llike onions, but 20 pounds of them!!! hmmm, not onions on top of ice cream, onion ice cream????
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tilly, I find the onion is what makes this mayo so good, so I never leave it out. I always manage to use up onion, in casseroles or Mexican food, so a cut onion isn't a problem for me. I have one of those onion-shaped plastic holders that REALLY do keep the cut onion from smelling up the refrigerator! I stopped freezing onion ages ago because whether I put in in mason jars or triple ziploc bags, it invariable smelled up my freezer.
Thank you, Peggy. I will search for a small one and add the leftovers to my egg and sausage omlette!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
You can buy dried onion and reconstitute it and it works fine in salad dressing also. Or there is onion powder.
I buy a bunch of green onions so that when I only need a little, I can use one or half of one.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I buy a bunch of green onions so that when I only need a little, I can use one or half of one.
I like to buy Mexican green onions for the same reason. They have a little round bulb that is an inch or two in diameter.
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Don't tell me those containers keep the onion from oxidizing! (Or do tell me, if that's the case.)

I've found one way to conveniently keep cut onion fresh: take the whole onion in it's skin, and slice off the part you want to use. Then lay the leftover part, cut side down, in a small suitable (very shallow) container and pour EVOO in, little more than enough to cover the bottom of the container all around the onion. The combination of skin and smothering oil seems to seal the onion just as well as the intact skin originally did (when I put my nose right down to it, I can't smell anything). You don't need a top on the container, and you can just lay it down anywhere in the fridge that's convenient. Since the EVOO congeals when it's cold, you can just scrape off the worst of it with a knife in order to use the onion, and pat it with a bit of paper towel. If you're going to take another slice off and put it back in the fridge, just microwave the EVOO briefly on the lowest setting to re-liquefy it first.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Very clever.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I have been mixing up a dressing with Dijon, sherry vinegar, dill, shallot and evoo. I just put it in a blender and taste it as I go. Salt and pepper at the end.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Italian Dressing

1/2cup olive oil
1tbsp coconut oil
1cup apple cider vinegar
1tbsp. italian seasoning
1tbsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
combine in mason jar shake well before serving
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000 View Post
Italian Dressing

1/2cup olive oil
1tbsp coconut oil
1cup apple cider vinegar
1tbsp. italian seasoning
1tbsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
combine in mason jar shake well before serving

Would this only work in summer when the coconut oil is in a liquid state (at least in my house)? Or it does not matter since it is a small amount?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
You should be able to microwave the coconut oil but I would recommend using it immediatly. I used it on some anti-pasti and when I took the left overs out of the fridge it congealed slightly, but I let it come to room temp and it was fine again.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Subbing
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote