Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Dairy Free Yogurt (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/756597-dairy-free-yogurt.html)

rosethorns 02-06-2012 02:23 PM

Dairy Free Yogurt

2 Attachment(s)
I made dairy free yogurt from a website called the Spunky coconut.
It's so yummy. I can't link to her website so I will give you the recipe.

First you have to make cashew milk.

Cashew milk

1 cup raw cashews
a bowl
filtered water

Take your cashews and put in a bowl cover with water filtered 1" above the nuts for 8 hrs. or over night in the fridge.
Take out your bowl of nuts and drain. I put the nuts and 5 cups of fresh filtered water in my vita mix, then let it rip for about a minute. You have milk, no need to strain like almond milk.

Yogurt

4 cups cashew milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 T. geletin
6 probiotic capsules ( dairy free, I used solaray multidophilius)
sweetner to your taste I used a combo of sweetners

Pour cashew milk into large saucepan with the vanilla and heat until it starts simmering, then take off of heat. Don't let it boil. Take a 1/2 cup of cashew milk and mix in the geletin , throughly. I put it in a separate
bowl and let it cool to 92 degrees. Open the probiotic capsules and pour into bowl, whisk well.

I put it in a 5 container salton yogurt maker for 10 hours. Then refridgerate for 8 hrs.

I'm so happy that I have yogurt again. Here are some pictures.Attachment 42845

Attachment 42846

I also made strawberry frozen yogurt. Sorry I don't have pictures of the frozen yogurt because we ate it. But I will the next time.

I've made this 5 times . It's tried and true.

Barbo 02-06-2012 02:31 PM

Wonderful Clever Recipe

It's beautiful. You must be delighted with yourself.
I'll think I'll look up carb counts on cashews.

Funny I'm making Greek
yogurt today... It's over cast and cool so I'm puttering
around in the kitchen.

rosethorns 02-06-2012 06:32 PM

I'm trying to work the new USDA chart and it's a little harder.

1 cup cashews =37.34 net

And your sweetner. My yogurt came to 6.24 net per cup

I'm just so glad to be able to eat yogurt again. I'm sure there is other friends who may have a dairy issue like me.

Hope you like it.
I tried with almond milk and I couldn't get it to work.
I've made it like this and cashew + coconut milk yogurt. Which is also very good.

Vanessa120 02-06-2012 07:44 PM

I saw that on the website you mentioned. I might have to try it. Thanks for sharing!!!

crazywoman-n-wy 02-06-2012 08:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your dairy free yogurt recipe!! I know there are a lot of others on the site who can't eat dairy, and I'm sure a lot of them will be delighted to get this!! :clap:

It must be a yogurt day! I've got yogurt going also (but mine is dairy -- 1/2&1/2).

And BTW, I have that same yogurt maker (well one like it, and one in yellow). I've switched all my little "jars" out to 1/2 pint (tapered) jars. Looks like you may have one like that there. :)

Brendajm 02-07-2012 03:45 AM

How does the cashew milk taste on its own? Anything like almond milk? My friend has a dairy allergy but has no problems with greek yogurt as there is no lactose in it. Have you tried Greek?

rosethorns 02-07-2012 07:11 AM

Billie I am also using little 1/2 pint jars and the jars it came with. I love yogurt and use it in savory and sweet. It was a yogurt day.

Brenda cashew milk taste great and so does almond milk. I'm allergic to many food items and it's taken me a long time to come to terms with that.
It sounds like your friend has lactose problem. That's really tough.

Mine is just plain intolerable to any dairy. I have chest conjestion from dairy, so I'm trying to get foods that are good for me and I can tolerate. I'm so thrilled with this endeavor. I was never a big milk person to drink it. But then I realize I do love ice cream, cheese, yogurt. So now I've worked out 2 of them and I'm very happy.

I'm on the lookout for non dairy cheese now.

I'm very self aware now so I'm still on my journey and it's a great one.

Tilly 02-07-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15394113)
I made dairy free yogurt from a website called the Spunky coconut.
It's so yummy. I can't link to her website so I will give you the recipe.

First you have to make cashew milk.

Cashew milk

1 cup raw cashews
a bowl
filtered water

Take your cashews and put in a bowl cover with water filtered 1" above the nuts for 8 hrs. or over night in the fridge.
Take out your bowl of nuts and drain. I put the nuts and 5 cups of fresh filtered water in my vita mix, then let it rip for about a minute. You have milk, no need to strain like almond milk.

Yogurt

4 cups cashew milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 T. geletin
6 probiotic capsules ( dairy free, I used solaray multidophilius)
sweetner to your taste I used a combo of sweetners

Pour cashew milk into large saucepan with the vanilla and heat until it starts simmering, then take off of heat. Don't let it boil. Take a 1/2 cup of cashew milk and mix in the geletin , throughly. I put it in a separate
bowl and let it cool to 92 degrees. Open the probiotic capsules and pour into bowl, whisk well.

I put it in a 5 container salton yogurt maker for 10 hours. Then refridgerate for 8 hrs.

I'm so happy that I have yogurt again. Here are some pictures.Attachment 42845

Attachment 42846

I also made strawberry frozen yogurt. Sorry I don't have pictures of the frozen yogurt because we ate it. But I will the next time.

I've made this 5 times . It's tried and true.

Wow, thanks for sharing! I have a friend (non LC) who has been looking for a way to make non dairy yogurt for a long time. And becaue you add the probiotics, I imagine it is just as healthy as "regular" yogurt.

rosethorns 02-07-2012 02:14 PM

Yes it is very healthy. These are the only non dairy probiotics I could find in my neck of the woods. And she can make frozen yogurt .

Tilly 02-07-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15397098)
Yes it is very healthy. These are the only non dairy probiotics I could find in my neck of the woods. And she can make frozen yogurt .

Is that easy to make? Can you share?

rosethorns 02-07-2012 03:14 PM

I will make some and take some pics and give you the recipe.

Tilly 02-07-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15397225)
I will make some and take some pics and give you the recipe.

Thanks very much!

catkin 02-07-2012 04:39 PM

Could you please post the step by step for coconut milk yogurt? Thanks!:)

rosethorns 02-07-2012 05:48 PM

Yes Catkin here ya go.

Coconut milk yogurt

2 cups cashew milk
1 can coconut milk ( at least 9 grams of fat )
sweeten to your taste
1 T. geletin
9 dairy free probiotic capsules (solaray )
1 T. vanilla( optional )

Put cashew & coconut milk in pan and heat until it starts to simmer,
then take off heat. Put in vanilla or what ever flavor you would like to use. Take a 1/2 cup of the hot milk and add the geletin whisk very well.
Cool down to 92 degrees then add 9 solaray probiotic capsules and pour
into your yogurt machine and leave for 10 hrs. Then refridgerate for 8 hrs.

I'm making frozen yogurt with this right now.

catkin 02-09-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15397636)
Yes Catkin here ya go.

Coconut milk yogurt

2 cups cashew milk
1 can coconut milk ( at least 9 grams of fat )
sweeten to your taste
1 T. geletin
9 dairy free probiotic capsules (solaray )
1 T. vanilla( optional )

Put cashew & coconut milk in pan and heat until it starts to simmer,
then take off heat. Put in vanilla or what ever flavor you would like to use. Take a 1/2 cup of the hot milk and add the geletin whisk very well.
Cool down to 92 degrees then add 9 solaray probiotic capsules and pour
into your yogurt machine and leave for 10 hrs. Then refridgerate for 8 hrs.

I'm making frozen yogurt with this right now.

Oh thank you! I was thinking you had a recipe without cashews since I'm not eating them. Think it would work with subbing extra coconut milk for the cashew milk? :)

rosethorns 02-09-2012 09:23 AM

I don't know if it will work. But try it. You could use 2 cans of coconut milk and see what happens. It took me 2 times to get it right. You do need the fat content.

Try it .:yummy:

catkin 02-09-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15401999)
I don't know if it will work. But try it. You could use 2 cans of coconut milk and see what happens. It took me 2 times to get it right. You do need the fat content.

Try it .:yummy:

I will, thanks! I just happen to love fat! :love::o:D

crazywoman-n-wy 02-11-2012 01:23 PM

Ester,Vanessa120here on the forum just posted a recipe on her blog for nut cream cheese!! I thought of you when I saw it! Click on her name to find her site in her profile. She just posted it this morning I believe.

Edited to say that I found her thread here about the cookies with almond cream "cheese" frosting, and the recipe. I also see you (Rosethorns) have already seen it, and commented on it!

rosethorns 02-11-2012 02:51 PM

Thanks Billie. I think it's great. I can't wait to try it.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-11-2012 05:32 PM

Ester, I just looked at Vanessa's post & recipes closer. For the cream "cheese" just leave the sweeteners out of the Frosting recipe. I just didn't pay close enough attention. Story of my live. I'm worse now than ever! :) :stars:

diwitch 02-12-2012 02:39 AM

Wow! I just checked out Vanessa's site, thank you for the link! :)

Di

Grammy G 04-27-2013 10:40 AM

Esther.. sorry for so many questions! Could you use acidophilus tablets? I use them instead of yogurt when I go on antibiotics. They are very inexpensive at Rite Aid when they have their 2 for 1 sale.

Also, I've made yogurt on the counter with a heating pad. Do you think I could do the same thing with this yogurt since I no longer have a yogurt machine?

rosethorns 04-27-2013 10:58 AM

Grammy acidophilis is dairy. Solar ray probiotics is for dairy free. Solar ray is expensive too. $16.99 for 100 tablets but it is the only one I can use.
You can ask as many questions that you need to. I'll help in any way I can.

How long do you keep the heating pad on for? I don't see why not. Try it. Then let us know if it worked. Please.

It does not work in the crockpot. I tried with coconut milk in a carton. No go.

Grammy if you want I can take a picture of the Solar Ray bottle.

Grammy G 04-27-2013 09:30 PM

Thank you Esther for the info on the acidophilis. I didn't realize it was from dairy. I've seen the Solar Ray brand before. I'll do a search for it and try to get it next month.

I made some LC ice cream for hubby tonight and it turned out great. I had a few licks. :-) I can't wait to try your recipe. I did finish the coconut milk ice cream I made and it was okay with the flourless chocolate torte I made a few days ago.

You are a blessing!