Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Montreal Baked Chicken

Montreal Baked Chicken
This is what I'm fixing for dinner tonight. It was so good the last time I made it, I can hardly wait for dinner. I baked it last time but plan on grilling it tonight.

This Induction friendly recipe is super easy…..super good! It can be baked or grilled over charcoal. The secret to the crisp skin, if oven baking, is to bake at very high heat to start out, then lower the temperature to finish cooking. The batch pictured is oven-baked.

INGREDIENTS:

1 whole chicken cut up (I pull out the back, neck and fat to make chicken stock)

1 recipe of my Montreal BBQ Sauce (or marinade):

2 tsp. McCormick Grill Mates “Montreal Steak” seasoning (this one has no sugar)
1 stick butter, UNSALTED, melted
1-2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/8 – ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS: Cut up the chicken (I cut breasts in half, remove back, making 10 pieces) and place pieces in a ziploc gallon bag. Melt the butter, add Montreal mix, vinegar and cayenne. Cool slightly and then add to bag. Manipulate well with your hands and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. When ready to cook preheat oven to 475º (or prepare charcoal fire). Place pieces of chicken on baking pan or grill surface, spreading out so the pieces don’t overlap, for best browning. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and baste with juices in the pan. Lower oven heat to 350º now and continue cooking for about 20-30 minutes more. Time will vary due to size of chicken pieces and ovens vary.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 meaty pieces or 5 servings. It would be impossible for me to calculate the exact figures for a serving because that depends upon the pieces of chicken eaten. Basically, take the nutritional info for the particular piece of chicken and add in the info for 1T. of the sauce. Stats on the sauce alone are as follows: 1 Tablespoon has 103 calories, 11.5 g fat, .26 g carbs, .1 g fiber, .16 g NET CARBS, .12 g protein

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
I loooooove the Montreal seasoning!
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Mmmm, that sounds good - and easy too. Love simple recipes.
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I've never had Montreal seasoning. I have no idea what it is like.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie, from what's listed on the bottle and what I can actually see in the mix, it's a blend of sea salt, black and crushed red pepper, garlic, sunflower oil, paprika, sesame seeds and some dried herbs. The actual ingredients (not all on the bottle) are clearly proprietary. It's in the spice area of most grocery stores where McCormick has their display.

I find it is very similar in flavor to another blend I bought last year on the net called Nantucket Offshore's "Renaissance Rub", but I don't think the latter has any garlic in it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Looks good!
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
I'll have to try this with the leg quarters I have in the freezer, once I pick up unsalted butter.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Hey Buttoni,Looks like I will have to [steal ] a piece from your baby in your avatar,lol
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Button didn't get a piece of this, Honeybuns, NO WAY! Button slept throughout the entire meal in the next room, because she knows it's futile, expecting to be fed at the table. But Zipper, the one that you can barely see behind Button in the avatar, stood sentry duty under the dining room table throughout the entire meal, as she always does. Zipper's a good little Girl Scout,.........."always prepared" for anything that comes her way. And as luck would have it, a tiny piece did fall into my lap and rolled onto the floor, scarfed up in a split second!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Summer, you don't have to use Unsalted butter, that just happens to be all I buy anymore.......plus the Montreal Steak spice mix has salt in it and I'm super salt sensitive. It might not bother you to use salted butter in this at all.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/171.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Dang--I just bought the Montreal Chicken--I hope it works as well??? Next time I will try the steak--of course I got the mega size at Sams!!!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Billie, from what's listed on the bottle and what I can actually see in the mix, it's a blend of sea salt, black and crushed red pepper, garlic, sunflower oil, paprika, sesame seeds and some dried herbs. The actual ingredients (not all on the bottle) are clearly proprietary. It's in the spice area of most grocery stores where McCormick has their display.

I find it is very similar in flavor to another blend I bought last year on the net called Nantucket Offshore's "Renaissance Rub", but I don't think the latter has any garlic in it.
Thanks Peggy. I know so little about different spices. And since i have weird tastes, there are so many I don't care for that I am always reluctant to buy & try new (to me) ones. I'm a creole seasoning gal! Put it on nearly everything. LOL (what is weird is that until a relatively few years ago, I couldn't take much hot at all.) (Thankfully by the time I went to Korea for a short stay, I had gotten to where I could eat more hot, and was eating cayenne, and really like garlic. Almost everything there had a cayenne/garlic sauce on it!) Still don't like black pepper, which most people love. The only black pepper I use (usually) is what is in my creole seasoning. (I usually make my own, and use less salt than the recipe calls for.) I'm very salt sensitive as well. I use it, but am also cautious with it , and don't use as much as most people do.
That chicken really looks and sounds good.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Buttoni, if this only had 24 times as much vinegar, it would be almost the same thing as the grilled chicken I make (which is basted with a stick of butter melted in a cup of cider vinegar with cayenne). A marinade made almost entirely of butter is certainly unusual; you've got me so curious I think I'm going to have to try it.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Dang--I just bought the Montreal Chicken--I hope it works as well??? Next time I will try the steak--of course I got the mega size at Sams!!!
I Love the Montreal Chicken version because our tastes don't run to the red chili peppers in the beef version.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Watcher--I certainly will be giving it a try soon--just bought 2 ten pound bags of chicken quarters this week for 5 dollars for grilling or smoking soon--so I know it will be used!!! Can't waste it when I need netrition orders!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't tried the Montreal Chicken blend yet. My brother was a chef for many years in Frisco and was so smitten by the Montreal Steak he brought me a bottle once and said you've just GOT to try this blend! I figured that was a pretty good recommendation, because my family, as a rule, do NOT like ANY commercial spice blends, not K-Paul's, not Chachere's, not Emeril's. After one use of the Montreal Steak, I was sold! Hope everyone likes this. I confess I was scraping off the browned bits stuck to the pan with my finger last night before handing it off to my pups to "pre-rinse" before washing up the baking pan. I almost wanted to get down on the floor and elbow my way in to lick right along WITH them. LOLOLOL

Last edited by buttoni; 02-06-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I will have to put that on this week's grocery list. Hope they stock it at WM! Looks finger-licking good, Peggy!!! (or tongue-licking if you are a dog, )
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Walmart carries all the GrillMates, Tilly.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Peggy--I can see you and Button and your other pup all partaking in the pan of chicken stickies!!! I love that part too!!! yummy!!! thanks for sharing the picture!! love it!!!

Jeanne
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
I haven't tried the Montreal Chicken blend yet. My brother was a chef for many years in Frisco and was so smitten by the Montreal Steak he brought me a bottle once and said you've just GOT to try this blend! I figured that was a pretty good recommendation, because my family, as a rule, do NOT like ANY commercial spice blends, not K-Paul's, not Chachere's, not Emeril's. After one use of the Montreal Steak, I was sold! Hope everyone likes this. I confess I was scraping off the browned bits stuck to the pan with my finger last night before handing it off to my pups to "pre-rinse" before washing up the baking pan. I almost wanted to get down on the floor and elbow my way in to lick right along WITH them. LOLOLOL
Now I know I'm going to have to try it--may even get the big jar at Sam's Club.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:

Is it the dry montreal seasoning?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Peggy that looks so good!!!!! I love the Montreal seasoning.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
Is it the dry montreal seasoning?
Yes, it's one of the Grill Mates line, dry, crushed spices/herbs in a shaker bottle.

@Esther, I'm so glad I discovered this blend. Really nice, subtle flavor.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My oven is broke so I am going to try this on top of the stove.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Or I could go buy a toaster oven till I get a new oven?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't imagine getting a browned, crispy skin on top of the stove. A toaster oven might work, but do they get up to 475º? Can you tell I don't own one? Grilling over charcoal would perhaps be a better option for you until your oven's fixed, if grilling is an option where you live.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Yes, it's one of the Grill Mates line, dry, crushed spices/herbs in a shaker bottle.

@Esther, I'm so glad I discovered this blend. Really nice, subtle flavor.
Found it today and right next to it was the exact same blend but says 25% less salt, so I picked up a few of those.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:
Summer, you don't have to use Unsalted butter, that just happens to be all I buy anymore.......plus the Montreal Steak spice mix has salt in it and I'm super salt sensitive. It might not bother you to use salted butter in this at all.
It's on the list anyway to try the cream cheese clouds, and why add salt where it's not needed? I need to be ready to deal with 10 lbs of leg quarters at once when I make them, since DH threw the bag in the freezer before I could split them up.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I'm making this tonight!
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I just made this for dinner- absolutely delicious. I have a roast setting on my convection oven, and used that- start it high then turn it down a bit, and you get that golden crisp skin. I love this recipe- thanks for sharing!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote