Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Jiffy Cinnamon Raisin Bread (GF) with lots of pics (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/756070-jiffy-cinnamon-raisin-bread-gf-lots-pics.html)

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 08:59 AM

Jiffy Cinnamon Raisin Bread (GF) with lots of pics

Bread out of the microwave and sliced into quadrants:

http://www.AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010524.JPG

Bread immediately flipped to dry underside a bit by letting steam escape.

http://www.AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010527.JPG

One quadrant sliced open horizontally to make two slices. See the raisins distributed throughout? Snipping them in half ensures better distribution.

http://www.AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010530.JPG

One slice toasted - pictured on a large, dinner plate.

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010536.JPG

Toasted and served with Cinnamon butter. Yummy!

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010542.JPG

Served as Cinnamon Raisin bread (not toasted), buttered with Barbo's Strawberry Jam (recent thread).

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010547.JPG

JIFFY CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD
This bread is very reminiscent of the real thing. It is soft, flavorful and bread-like. In addition, it toasts very well. It is wonderful spread with Cinnamon Butter, below. I found this bread to be a little too good and, therefore, I had portion control problems. Fortunately, I had my hubby to help me out, but I definitely ate more than him! Soo, your mileage may vary. Wondering if this would freeze well? I imagine so, but I didn't get a chance to find out! One could freeze the slices between pieces of wax paper and put in a sealed baggie or other airtight container and take out one or two pieces for brekkie, without breaking the carb and calorie bank! It's truly amazing that this could turn out so nice being made quickly in a microwave oven. A lovely breakthrough for busy peeps! One can put this together quickly the night before or even in the morning and breakfast with coffee will be a delightful quiet moment.

7 tbsp ground almonds (105 mL)
31/2 tsp coconut flour (17 mL)
31/2 tsp oat flour (17 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
2 to 3 tbsp raisins, snipped (30 - 45 mL)
in half
3 eggs
Liquid sucralose to equal 4 tsp (20 mL)
SPLENDAŽ Granular
11/2 tsp olive oil (7 mL)
3 tbsp shredded Monterey Jack cheese (45 mL)

Spray an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in raisins. In small bowl, with fork, whisk eggs, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDAŽ Granular and olive oil together. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and mix everything together really well until the mixture thickens slightly.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread out evenly. Microwave on high 2 minutes and 50 seconds (Your microwave might need different timing. Mine is powerful and runs hot.). Remove from microwave oven and immediately cut a cross in the bread dividing it length-wise and horizontally in half into 4 quadrants. Take each half and flip it over to allow the undersides to dry out a bit. When cool, slice each piece in half horizontally so that you have 8 slices of bread that are more or less the size of a slice of store-bought raisin bread.

Place in the toaster and toast until nice and brown. You will figure out the sweet spot on your toaster. Spread with Cinnamon Butter, page___ or Strawberry Compote, page___.

Yield: 8 slices
1 slice, 2 tbsp/3 tbsp raisins
111.7/115.5 calories
5.5/5.3 g protein
8.2/8.2 g fat
3.5/4.6 g carbs

FLAVORED SWEET BUTTERS
Many uses for these wonderful butters: think of spreading muffins, pancakes, low-carb toast, crackers, etc. with this sweet butter, instead of fruit spread.

Cinnamon Butter:
1/2 cup Healthy Butter, page___ (125 mL)
Liquid sucralose to equal 1/3 cup (75 mL)
SPLENDAŽ Granular
2 tbsp whipping cream (30 mL)
1 tbsp cinnamon (15 mL)

In food processor with sharp blade, process Healthy Butter, page___, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDAŽ Granular, whipping cream and cinnamon until smooth. Keep refrigerated.

Variations: Apple Cinnamon Butter: Use Da VinciŽ Sugar Free Green Apple Syrup instead of whipping cream. (0.1 g Carbs)

Apple Butter: Substitute 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) Da VinciŽ Sugar Free Green Apple Syrup for whipping cream and omit cinnamon. (0.0 g Carbs)

Create-a-Flavor Sweet Butter: Use 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) any flavor Da VinciŽ Sugar Free Syrup. (0.0 g Carbs)

Yield: 1/2 cup (125 mL)
1 tsp (5 mL) per serving
41.3 calories
0.1 g protein
4.6 g fat
0.2 g carbs

wishbone 02-03-2012 09:14 AM

Jenn - I might be a little dense this morning....but when you say
7 T ground almonds - is that 7 T AFTER grinding some almonds in, oh say, my coffee grinder? or is that almond flour you are talking about. Or what would be the diff?

JAN

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 09:24 AM

No problem, Jan. :)

After grinding. I have to grind my own almond meal. However, I imagine the bread would be even nicer with almond flour - finer texture. So 7 tbsp almond flour or 7 tbsp almond meal (after grinding).

Charski 02-03-2012 09:57 AM

Boy that looks great, Jen. I miss raisin bread!

TBipp 02-03-2012 10:52 AM

Awesome work, Jen! I especially like your ideas for various sweetened butters and cannot believe I have not thought of combining no sugar syrups with butter.

Thank You!

nekkidfish 02-03-2012 11:21 AM

Yummmmmmmmm! :love:

zipp2play 02-03-2012 12:07 PM

I'm not even a raisin fan and that looks amazing!

buttoni 02-03-2012 12:11 PM

That DOES look good, Jen. How I LOVE a good piece of raisin bread! But I gotta quit baking for awhile. I'm eating waaaay to many low-carb baked goods here lately. Going to try to get back to a more basic Atkins 1972 version for awhile. Just GOT to get the rest of this weight off.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-03-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 15386482)
I'm not even a raisin fan and that looks amazing!

Me either Monica!! (Glad to hear I'm not the only one - tho I do know others who don't care for them.) I plan on making this, but leave the raisins out! I liked cinnamon bread when I was a kid, but always picked the raisins out! Never did like cooked raisins in things. I liked raw raisins OK, but not cooked. As I got older & my tastes changed I could tolerate the cooked ones better, but still wasn't crazy about them. And now they are too sugary/carby, so I don't bother. Think on this one, I'm kinda lucky, cause I don't miss & crave them like some people! :D
I'll save a few calories & carbs on this one just because I don't care for the raisins! ;)

Thanks Jen for the Cinnamon bread recipe & the cinnamon butter recipes!

Just a note: The flavored butter recipes calls for 1/2 cup Healthy Butter, and appears to be in the cookbook as it states "Healthy Butter, page___" both in the ingredients list and in the directions. I even thought I remembered it being in the book, but I just looked because I was going to tell what page to find it. But if it is in there, it eludes me! But as a side note, it can be found on Jen's blog! If one does a search, it is also probably on this site somewhere. Pretty sure that is where I first saw it, and started making it from, but I may have gotten it from her site.

Came back to add that the recipe above also states: "Spread with Cinnamon Butter, page___ or Strawberry Compote, page___." Are all these to be in the next book (Volume 2) maybe?

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 02:41 PM

Healthy Butter

HEALTHY BUTTERThis is a clever way to make butter healthier and higher in monounsaturated fats. The taste is just like butter, plus it spreads easily straight from the refrigerator.

1 lb butter (4 sticks), softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups light-tasting olive oil* (see Helpful Hints below)

In blender, process butter and olive oil until soft, creamy and smooth. Turn out (using a soft spatula) into plastic container with lid and refrigerate until set.

Yield: 3 cups, 1 tsp per serving, 42.5 calories, 0.0 g pro, 4.8 g fat, 0.0 g carbs

*Helpful Hints: I usually double this recipe as it lasts long in the refrigerator. Choose an olive oil that has no perceptible taste (the green one is stronger tasting), so that it doesn't overpower the taste of the butter. If per chance the olive oil overpowers the butter taste, then use that Healthy Butter for frying and cooking. Now here is the thing: It really depends on your butter, however, the brand that I use now requires 4 sticks of butter and two cups of olive oil. A little bit of trial and error will find your perfect Healthy Butter Recipe! My family will not do without it!

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 02:47 PM

Hi there, Billie, you totally crack me up. I can just see you as little girl, picking the raisins out of your raisin bread! :lol:

I'd like to know how this would be plain. That's a great idea.

Oops - posted the Healthy Butter recipe. I use 2 cups olive oil and 4 sticks butter these days. I think butter differs from country to country - I could be wrong. Surely I must be. It is just weird that I used so much less olive oil in Canada. Oh well...:dunno:

Buttoni, I hear you. I hope you get into the swing of weight loss mode again. You can do it. Definitely too many baked goodies can make one stall.

Zipp2play ;)

Nekkidfish - yay, you found the thread! :)

TBipp - thanks for your kind words. :hugs:

Hi dear Char! :hiya:

nekkidfish 02-03-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 15386952)
HEALTHY BUTTERThis is a clever way to make butter healthier and higher in monounsaturated fats. The taste is just like butter, plus it spreads easily straight from the refrigerator.

1 lb butter (4 sticks), softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups light-tasting olive oil* (see Helpful Hints below)

In blender, process butter and olive oil until soft, creamy and smooth. Turn out (using a soft spatula) into plastic container with lid and refrigerate until set.

Yield: 3 cups, 1 tsp per serving, 42.5 calories, 0.0 g pro, 4.8 g fat, 0.0 g carbs

*Helpful Hints: I usually double this recipe as it lasts long in the refrigerator. Choose an olive oil that has no perceptible taste (the green one is stronger tasting), so that it doesn't overpower the taste of the butter. If per chance the olive oil overpowers the butter taste, then use that Healthy Butter for frying and cooking. Now here is the thing: It really depends on your butter, however, the brand that I use now requires 4 sticks of butter and two cups of olive oil. A little bit of trial and error will find your perfect Healthy Butter Recipe! My family will not do without it!

Salted, or unsalted butter?

Yup, I'm here. :p

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 03:43 PM

Regular butter - salted. :)

Tilly 02-03-2012 04:03 PM

Oh boy, thanks so much!!! Do you think this would hold up to soaking in egg and then frying it? French toast cinnamon bread? Thanks so much for sharing, Jennifer. This is next on my to-make list. I LOVE the fact that it is baked by microwave oven. I think I still have some of those small boxes of raisins around here in the dark recesses of my pantry. :hyst: Wonder if they are edible? :eek: Cleaned it out a few weeks ago, amazing what you find in there.

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 04:18 PM

:hyst: Thanks for the laugh, Tilly. That's a great idea - yes I think it would work! I'd like to try that too. Great idea! :shake:

crazywoman-n-wy 02-03-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 15386973)
I'd like to know how this would be plain. That's a great idea.

I'd like to tell you how it is without them, but it really won't be too soon. I did make up a batch today, but I got distracted (not hard to do, and there was only me here :o), and did so many things wrong, I don't know how the original recipe would be that way. But even with all my mistakes, it is good! One of the things I goofed on, I did on purpose, but doing so was a mistake. I thought I'd try swirling the cinnamon "sugar" thru the batter, a little more like real cinnamon bread does. MISTAKE! It wont' swirl thru. So most of the cinnamon ended up on top. Those will probably be a little tricky to toast (in a pop up toaster anyway. And the bottom slices (after slicing latterly) won't have much cinnamon in them. I didn't take time right then to mix up any cinnamon butter. But I usually keep "cinnamon/sugar" (mixture of sweeteners) made up, and in a shaker. So I slathered butter (Healthy Butter) on a slice (top half) & sprinkled with a little more "cinnamon/sugar". Yep, it was good! I may have the bottom half either the same way, or toasted with same, or maybe make up some of the cinnamon butter later. Those slices with very little of the cinnamon in them, will still be good with either of the above, and should toast OK.

I do usually keep some of your Healthy Butter made up!!

lgpars 02-03-2012 08:30 PM

Oh yum, I am just finding this thread tonight. I love, love raisin bread. Can't wait to try this. Jen, my scale only weighs in ounces or grams. Is there some way to change ml's to grams? I know absolutely nothing about either. I've always used ounces or pounds.

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 09:23 PM

Hi Linda:hiya: - do you have tablespoon and teaspoon measuring spoons? Those are good enough. I didn't go by weights.

Jennifer Eloff 02-03-2012 09:25 PM

That's funny, Billie - my DH was just thinking that I should try to swirl the cinnamon in, but I told him I didn't think it would work. ;) Glad you liked it for the first try. :)

lgpars 02-03-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 15387844)
Hi Linda:hiya: - do you have tablespoon and teaspoon measuring spoons? Those are good enough. I didn't go by weights.

OK I'll just go by measuring with a tsp. or tbls. I saw those ml numbers after your ingredients but didn't know what they meant. Then when looking up how to convert ml's to grams it said you couldn't because ml's was liquid measurement and grams was dry measurement. Thanks, Jen.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-03-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 15387847)
That's funny, Billie - my DH was just thinking that I should try to swirl the cinnamon in, but I told him I didn't think it would work. ;) Glad you liked it for the first try. :)

Nope, it doesn't work!
Yes, even with all my goofs (and I made a few) it turned out good!

Hmm,,,,, French toast! Maybe in the mornin?! If I don't forget. (and I could!) :stars:

Linda, most of the rest of the world doesn't use cup measurements the same as we do. When they do use "cups" to measure, they are usually in ml, not designated by cups like ours. Some measuring cups & spoons here actually have a "close" ml designation on them as well as our cup, 1/2, 1/3, etc. (For dry measure! It isn't a weight. It's a measure.) There are charts online which do conversions for you. Google weights & measures. Or better, Metric conversion. or Measure equivalents
Here is a good site: Metric Conversion charts and calculators Then more specifically to the conversions we're talking about here: Cooking Measurement Equivalents — Infoplease.com
Lots of sites out there. Some have charts, some let you type in the measure & do the conversion for you.

But in the case of Jen's recipes, she does it for you. So we can use the cup measurements, and others can do the mls. (She just gives both.)

Brendajm 02-04-2012 06:07 AM

I was going to make this this morning but slept bad and didn't get up in time so I had my last scone instead. I am going to make later. I am wondering do you store in fridge and then toast when you are ready to eat a slice? Will this keep a few days? I don't have raisens, got to put this on my list.

Jennifer Eloff 02-04-2012 07:18 AM

Oh good, Linda. :)

THANK you, Billie! I should have gone to that trouble to explain things better to Linda. I appreciate your effort. You are correct. :shake:

Oh poor Brenda! I hope your tea or coffee gets your going for the rest of your day and maybe you can take a short nap at lunch time.

I'm sure you can store the bread in the fridge for a few days. Perhaps make the bread the night before so that you have more time in the morning. I think the texture of the bread will change a bit in the fridge, but toasted you won't notice a difference.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-04-2012 12:01 PM

You're welcome!! :shake: There are a lot of sites out there that have charts, and I have several charts saved on my computer, but sadly I did not save the sources. I didn't think to do that in the "old" days. I try my best now to do that. Most of the sites I found last night had conversion "link" where you type in what you want to convert, rather than charts. but I know there are still more sites out there with charts. Just getting the right words into the search box is the key. And part of what I know I have saved, seems to be hiding from me lately too! :annoyed:

I did try the french toast this morning. (I put the bread in the fridge yesterday. I've lost way too many low carb breads, desserts, etc., by leaving it out too long.) It did make good French toast. But I will add that it does have a bit of that almond graininess. So each person's "Mileage" May Vary. I used 2 slices (1/4 recipe). I also had 2 fried eggs on the side. I'm not a 1 slice of bread, donut, or muffin for breakfast person. Gotta have a fairly hearty breakfast. Bacon would have been good on the side too, but I didn't bother.
I don't know, but I would imagine it would be best to have cooked it at least the night before to make the French toast. Course, I like to soak my bread in the egg/cream mixture. If you're a dip it & cook it person, it might not matter as much.

Tilly 02-04-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 15389013)
You're welcome!! :shake: There are a lot of sites out there that have charts, and I have several charts saved on my computer, but sadly I did not save the sources. I didn't think to do that in the "old" days. I try my best now to do that. Most of the sites I found last night had conversion "link" where you type in what you want to convert, rather than charts. but I know there are still more sites out there with charts. Just getting the right words into the search box is the key. And part of what I know I have saved, seems to be hiding from me lately too! :annoyed:

I did try the french toast this morning. (I put the bread in the fridge yesterday. I've lost way too many low carb breads, desserts, etc., by leaving it out too long.) It did make good French toast. But I will add that it does have a bit of that almond graininess. So each person's "Mileage" May Vary. I used 2 slices (1/4 recipe). I also had 2 fried eggs on the side. I'm not a 1 slice of bread, donut, or muffin for breakfast person. Gotta have a fairly hearty breakfast. Bacon would have been good on the side too, but I didn't bother.
I don't know, but I would imagine it would be best to have cooked it at least the night before to make the French toast. Course, I like to soak my bread in the egg/cream mixture. If you're a dip it & cook it person, it might not matter as much.

Thanks for the information, Billy. I was going to make this tomorrow morning, which I still might do and then have my eggs on the side. But will experiment with soaking them. Think they will fall apart if soaked in egg? Oh and BTW, I found my raisins! Yup, back in the dark recesses of my pantry. :jumpjoy:

crazywoman-n-wy 02-04-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15389048)
Thanks for the information, Billy. I was going to make this tomorrow morning, which I still might do and then have my eggs on the side. But will experiment with soaking them. Think they will fall apart if soaked in egg? Oh and BTW, I found my raisins! Yup, back in the dark recesses of my pantry. :jumpjoy:

YW!!
I did soak mine for several minutes. You do have to be careful when lifting them out of the egg batter, as with most French toast when the bread is soaked, it will tend to want to fall apart. Maybe use a spatula to lift it out. I didn't, I just used a fork, but had to be really careful. (Just like with "real" bread.) It will soak up the egg mixture. (I use egg & cream. I also added some more cinnamon & a little DaVinci Vanilla.)
On those raisins,,,, IF they are dry, just soak them a while in water or DaVinci syrup. -- (But you probably knew that.)

Tilly 02-04-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 15389107)
YW!!
On those raisins,,,, IF they are dry, just soak them a while in water or DaVinci syrup. -- (But you probably knew that.)

No and thanks! Things you learn right here. :high5:

crazywoman-n-wy 02-04-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15389339)
No and thanks! Things you learn right here. :high5:

You're welcome! I've learned a LOT of things here! :high5:

Jennifer Eloff 02-05-2012 06:47 AM

Billie, maybe to avoid the almond texture, you could replace a bit of the ground almonds with Carbalose flour. Wonder how that would work? In any case, not an option for us as we're gluten-free these days. I am keeping a much lower weight with ease and have to wonder if it is because I am gluten-free and have been for a long time now.

Brendajm 02-05-2012 10:08 AM

Jen, staying gluten free has been really helping me out too. Thanks for the tip on the
Supplement too. I am off to get some raisins to try this as I forgot to
Get them yesterday