Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm dairy free Vanessa. LOL I use mayo . It works out great. Still moist and fluffy.
I love the way it comes out. It's great for mornings.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
That is clever, Esther.

I was wondering if one is allergic to cow's milk, whether goat's milk and goat's cheese would still be a problem. I believe their composition is slightly different, but it is still dairy obviously.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Jennifer. It's taken me very long to give up my dairy things. I don't think goats will change that. They feed goats grain and I can't do that. It's very interestiing what you have to do with food in your life.

So now I can have foods like ice cream, yogurt, breads and many others the way I can eat them.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
That is clever, Esther.

I was wondering if one is allergic to cow's milk, whether goat's milk and goat's cheese would still be a problem. I believe their composition is slightly different, but it is still dairy obviously.
I was tested for goat's milk as well and while I was less sensitive than cow's milk I still showed sensitivity.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
That is clever, Esther.

I was tested for goat's milk as well and while I was less sensitive than cow's milk I still showed sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I'm dairy free Vanessa. LOL I use mayo . It works out great. Still moist and fluffy.
I love the way it comes out. It's great for mornings.
That's good to know, thank you! Did you sub the cheese and mayo 1:1?
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just thought I'd mention this. The other day I was tired when making this bread and left out the cheese by accident. The bread was great without it. I have been making it without ever since. Once could replace the cream with coconut milk and there you have a dairy-free bread.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Jennifer cool.

Vanessa I did the 1 for 1 with mayo. It keeps it very moist. But I don't always use it 1 for 1 in other recipes. because if there is a lot of cheese I try to work it differently. Did that help.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I love this bread,, Jen,, you left out the shredded cheese and it was just as good? I found 2 slices that have been in my fridge for over 2 weeks and it was still good.. I thought there would be mold on it,, I didnt see any, toasted it up and YUM>
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Brenda! Ian likes to toast it as well. He was having some last night with butter and peanut butter. I made it especially for him as he wanted something for his "butter" fix. He LOVES butter! When asked once what his favorite food was (get this, I'm a cookbook author with lots of recipes), he said: "Butter!" Waah!

I think it's fine without the cheese - great, in fact. To be honest, I can't remember what it was like with cheese - in any case, it's not necessary.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Esther, do you think the dairy-free version could work with only 1 tbsp mayonnaise (so calorific)?

Also what did you use in place of the cream? I want to have a dairy-free version for others like you who have to skip dairy. My son doesn't have dairy.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

I 've been trying to think of what you mean Jen. Yours, the cheese and cream gaev it's moistness, mayo & almond milk gave mine it's moistness.

Is that what you mean? You left out the cheese this last time so I would try 1T. of mayo and see how it comes out.

I do all kinds of things to make it for me and other dairy free people.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Perfect! Thank you, Esther.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Jennifer,
Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it yesterday and it's wonderful! I've recently discovered your blog and am so excited. I made your gluten free bake mix and used it for the blueberry muffins. They knocked my socks off! It's so great to find recipes that are gluten free AND low carb. I plan on purchasing the Low Carb Among Friends cookbook soon.

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

I'm having some delicious cinnamon raisin french toast, with cinnamon butter!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Sally, that does sound nice. Definitely one of my favorite quickie breads. I made French Toast with it but didn't really care for it. Do you remember how you made yours? Happy you found my blog. I need to post here again. Just to need to figure out how to post my pics again - something changed recently.

I made breadcrumbs and croutons out of the plain bread; very good! I'll post it sometime. I want to first finish typing up the recipe properly with Esther's idea to use mayo and almond milk for a dairy-free version.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer,
I used 2 slices for the french toast. I mixed up one egg, a splash of heavy cream and a drop of EZ sweetz. Soaked each slice briefly and put in the greased pan. The bread really soaked up the egg (considering how thin the slices were!) but I had extra mix in the bowl, so I just poured it over the slices. I thought it was delish!

The only issue I had was slicing horizontally... it wasn't quite thick enough so I didn't have any wiggle room. A couple pieces came out too thin and broke off near the ends. Next time I will try the plain bread and bake it in the oven using my muffin top pans. Croutons is a great idea too!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Sally, for your recipe - maybe I used too much cream. I don't have the same problem, so I'm wondering if it is almond flour vs almond meal that is giving the difference. I use almond meal, of course. My slices are thick and easy to slice horizontally in half without them being too thin. That's a mystery.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My apologies

I was just editing the recipe for inclusion in the next cookbook and realized I left a key ingredient out of the bread. It comes from scribbling the recipe on a scrap paper and it being in such an untidy state as well.

I'm so sorry. It still seems the bread worked but I think it is nicer with the cream or almond milk. I LOVE Esther's idea where she uses mayonnaise instead of the cheese. I made it today and the bread was lovely and soft - great as bread and great as toast.

I'll post the corrected version of the recipe.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The CORRECTED VERSION of the Jiffy Cinnamon Raisin Bread

JIFFY CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD

It is soft, flavorful and bread-like. In addition, it toasts well. If you decide to use the cheese, keep in mind it simply adds to the texture and is not detectable in the bread. However, I think the mayonnaise option is fantastic – lovely soft bread that is great as bread as well as toast!

7 tbsp ground almonds (105 mL)
3 1/2 tsp coconut flour (17 mL)
3 1/2 tsp oat flour (17 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
2 to 3 tbsp raisins, snipped (30 - 45 mL)
in half
3 eggs
4 1/2 tsp heavy cream, OR almond milk, OR (22 mL)
coconut milk
Liquid sucralose to equal 4 tsp (20 mL)
SPLENDA® Granular
1 1/2 tsp olive oil (7 mL)
2 tbsp mayonnaise, OR (30 mL)
3 tbsp shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional, OR (45 mL)
skip both these options for a lower calorie bread*

Spray an 8-inch (20 cm) square, glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in raisins. In small bowl, with fork, whisk eggs, cream, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular, olive oil and mayonnaise (if using) together. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, if using (skip mayonnaise if using cheese); mix everything together well until the mixture thickens slightly.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread out evenly. Microwave on high 2 minutes and 50 seconds (Your microwave might need different timing. Mine is powerful and runs hot.). Remove from microwave oven and immediately cut a cross in the bread dividing it length-wise and horizontally in half into 4 quadrants. Take each piece and flip it over to allow the undersides to dry out a bit. When cool, slice each piece in half horizontally so that you have 8 slices of bread that are more or less the size of a slice of store-bought raisin bread. Place in the toaster and toast until nice and brown. Spread with Cinnamon Butter, page___ or peanut butter or low-sugar preserves.

Yield: 8 slices (with mayo)
1 slice, 2 tbsp/3 tbsp raisins
114.0/117.8 calories
3.9/3.9 g protein
9.1/9.1 g fat
3.6/4.6 g carbs

Variations: Plain Bread (great for toast): Omit raisins, cinnamon, sweetener and salt. Instead use 1/4 tsp (1 mL) onion salt. This recipe makes great grilled cheese sandwiches in a grilled cheese sandwich maker. Preheat the appliance. Butter two slices of bread on the outsides and put lots of cheese in the middle. Yield: 8 slices, 1 slice: 103.6 cal; 5.2 g pro; 8.2 g fat; 1.7 g carbs

Croutons: Cut only 4 thick slices (i.e. don’t slice them horizontally to make thinner slices) and cut each slice into 36 little squares (6 x 6). In skillet with 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted, add 2 slices, cut up and sprinkle 2 tsp (10 mL) Parmesan cheese over all. Stir fry quickly to soak up butter. Place on cookie sheet and bake in 300°F (150°C) 10 minutes, stir and bake another 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Keep in sealed tin at room temperature and use within 2 weeks. For 9 cubes: (0.9 g carbs)

Breadcrumbs: Take 2 thin slices, toast in a regular toaster and blend finely in a food processor or blender. 1 slice, crumbed (1.7 g carbs)

Dairy-Free Version: Use almond milk, OR coconut milk and mayonnaise options or skip the mayonnaise, although the bread is lovely and soft with it. I have my friend Esther (Rosethorns) from lowcarbfriends.com to thank for this version. She actually uses 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise. See analysis above – the carbs won’t be significantly different with almond milk or coconut milk versus heavy cream.

French Toast: Sally (Salamander) from lowcarbfriends.com says: “I used 2 slices for the French toast. I mixed up one egg, a splash of heavy cream and a drop of EZ Sweetz. Soaked each slice briefly and put in the greased pan. The bread really soaked up the egg but I had extra mix in the bowl, so I just poured it over the slices. I thought it was delish!”

Helpful Hints: *Without cheese, the calories drop to 89.9 and 93.7 respectively and carbs remain the same. One can mound this batter by 1/4 cupfuls (60 mL) in a greased muffin top pan and make 4 bun shapes instead (double the carbs). Bake in moderate oven 12 minutes. The nutritional analysis with Monterey Jack cheese:

Yield: 8 slices (with cheese)
1 slice, 2 tbsp/3 tbsp raisins
111.7/115.1 calories
5.5/5.3 g protein
8.2/8.2 g fat
3.5/4.4 g carbs
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebekahp1
Stats: Lost over 110 pounds with the help of my sleeve!
WOE: Low carb, high protein, high fat
Start Date: March 2012
This recipe looks great, like everyone else I loved raisin bread in my high carb days.

Instead of mayo or cheese, could I sub greek yogurt or sour cream?
rebekahp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would try it and see. I think it could possibly work. I would go with the sour cream. Let us know if you make it and how it turned out. Thanks, Rebekah.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebekahp1
Stats: Lost over 110 pounds with the help of my sleeve!
WOE: Low carb, high protein, high fat
Start Date: March 2012
Jen, this recipe is sensational!

I made a few changes:

* Blanched almond flour
* Subbed butter for olive oil
* Used extra cream for mayo/cheese
* Added more cinnamon, love the stuff!

I baked this at 350f for 12 mins. It has more of a cakey texture than bread, maybe the microwave might make it more bread-like in texture. This seems way too delicate to put in the toaster, what did I do wrong?

Might make a second batch, I can't stop eating it!

Last edited by rebekahp1; 08-06-2013 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: added bullet/star points
rebekahp1 is offline   Reply With Quote