Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Low Carb Craisins?

I have three bags of fresh frozen cranberries left in my freezer AND a dehydrator. I am pretty sure I have heard of a way to make these with SF Davinci maybe?

Anyone?
Charski? did you make some of these a couple of years ago? I really would love to use these somehow and would love some "craisins" in my salad!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
I have three bags of fresh frozen cranberries left in my freezer AND a dehydrator. I am pretty sure I have heard of a way to make these with SF Davinci maybe?

Anyone?
Charski? did you make some of these a couple of years ago? I really would love to use these somehow and would love some "craisins" in my salad!
Here's Kevin's recipe for the cranberries.

Dried Sweetened Cranberries
1 cup raw cranberries
1/4 cup sf Monin Blackberry syrup
1 T. DiabetiSweet

Cut cranberries into 1/2 to 1/4 depending on size. After making these many time I agree that cutting the cranberries in half works the best. I think though that the yield you are getting indicates that you are drying them too long in the oven. The first couple of batches I made, my yield was much less but as I got more experienced at making them I found that if I took them out of the oven while they were still slightly wet and allowed them to complete by drying outside the oven heat I ended up with a reduction of less than 50% and had 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup of dried berries for the 3 cups I started with. This also made their texture much softer and raisin-like.
In a small bowl, soak cranberries in syrup until the cranberries absorb most of the liquid.
Transfer soaked cranberries and spread out onto a non-stick foil lined cookie pan.
Sprinkle the top of the cranberries with the diabetisweet.
Bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for about 2 hours or until the cranberies are dry and chewy and tacky to the touch (the texture of moist rasins) but will not stick to the foil.
Let cool completely and store in a air tight jar in the fridge until readyto use.

These are 8 carbs for the 1 cup of of the cranberries plus the couple carbs for the diabetisweet but wow, what a carb bargain (saving approx 90 carbs) over the store bought ones.

They are quite easy to make and since they are bake at the low temperture do not need to be watched real closely

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! this sounds like a great guide... I sure do miss Kevin *sniff*..

Last edited by daisyHair; 02-01-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001

Sugar-Free Dried Cranberries
Original Recipe by Laura Dolson
Adapted by Healthy Living How To

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients
  • 12 oz. Cranberries
  • 1/2 c. Water
  • Sugar-Free Sweetener

Sweetening Options (choose 1)
1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 4 Tbsp. NOW Xylitol, Non-GMO
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 6 Tbsp. NOW Erythritol Granular

Directions

1. In a sauce pan add 1/2 c. water + sugar-free sweetening option.
2. To the sweetened water add 12 oz. of cranberries.
3. Stir cranberries around to coat and turn heat to medium-high.
4. Cook cranberries for about 10 minutes until they have all popped. Use the back of a spoon to pop the cranberries that are stubborn.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Line a sheet pan with doubled up paper towels and then lay a sheet of parchment over top.
7. Spread cranberries out and dry in oven at 170║ F for 7-8 hours.
8. After 4 hours take cranberries out of the oven and using a spatula transfer them to a new sheet of parchment paper, spreading them out some.
9. Return to oven for another 3-4 hours.
10. The cranberries are done when they are no longer wet, you choose how chewy you want them. The longer you go the more chewy they are.
11. Let cool, separate and store in a sealed container.
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
If you don't want to cut them up, which gets old quick.

I use the syrup I want . Then put them in a pot with the syrup and a little water to pop them then dry in a dehydrator or oven. And I use different flavors. Vanilla, orange , raspberry are just a few that are great. Have fun.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I love craisins on my salads so I've tried making my own but wasn't too successful until I used the second recipe Phos4us (Birgit) has on her blog here:

Birgit's Daily Bytes: Sugar-Free Craisins and Faux Raisins (LC, GF, SF)

I made the sugar-free craisins, not the faux raisins.

I made two batches using two bags of fresh cranberries in each batch. The first batch I didn't slice in half and I ended up smooshing them quite a bit to get then all to pop so my craisins ended up being more like cranberry leather with I chopped up in small pieces. The taste is excellent and I've been using these pieces in my salads and other things.

The second batch I took the time to cut them in half and that worked a whole lot better. This batch looks just like the store bought ones without all the sugar and they also taste great.

The glycerine is key to keep them from drying out to hard pieces. I have a dehydrator but I used the oven to make these since the ones I've made before in the dehydrator also dried out too much but I also wasn't using any glycerine. I need to try a batch in the dehydrator using glycerin.

Another thing I love craisins in is to make some cornbread stuffing using ChickenLady's cornbread and throw in a handful of them.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-01-2012 at 10:36 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
What a great idea. Now if I can find a recipe for a "LC" Cranberry Orange Scone like Starbucks serves!!!
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
If you don't want to cut them up, which gets old quick.

I use the syrup I want . Then put them in a pot with the syrup and a little water to pop them then dry in a dehydrator or oven. And I use different flavors. Vanilla, orange , raspberry are just a few that are great. Have fun.
Can you elaborate on this? I would LOVE to not have to cut up three bags.. are you saying you just cover with with a little water and sweetner and boil them till they pop and then drain them? I love the idea of the orange davinci for these!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I love craisins on my salads so I've tried making my own but wasn't too successful until I used the second recipe Phos4us (Birgit) has on her blog here:

Birgit's Daily Bytes: Sugar-Free Craisins and Faux Raisins (LC, GF, SF)

I made the sugar-free craisins, not the faux raisins.

I made two batches using two bags of fresh cranberries in each batch. The first batch I didn't slice in half and I ended up smooshing them quite a bit to get then all to pop so my craisins ended up being more like cranberry leather with I chopped up in small pieces. The taste is excellent and I've been using these pieces in my salads and other things.

The second batch I took the time to cut them in half and that worked a whole lot better. This batch looks just like the store bought ones without all the sugar and they also taste great.

The glycerine is key to keep them from drying out to hard pieces. I have a dehydrator but I used the oven to make these since the ones I've made before in the dehydrator also dried out too much but I also wasn't using any glycerine. I need to try a batch in the dehydrator using glycerin.

Another thing I love craisins in is to make some cornbread stuffing using ChickenLady's cornbread and throw in a handful of them.
This looks like a nice recipe too!
I have heard that Glycerine is sweet in taste.. I wonder if it has any carbs to worry about?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Sorry Daisy I just saw this. I use 1/4 cup of syrup and 2 T. water cook and let them pop. Then use thhe dehydrator.

But I like the idea of using the glycerin .
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
my last batch with glycerine and Erythritol I tried the suggestion of cooking them and it turned into fruit leather. it was fine, but not the texture I was going for, I wanted individual craisins, so I go through the trouble of cutting them in half. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe a few whizzes in a food processor chopping blade my make it small enough for you.

Another reason I like cutting them in half is that I can remove the seeds and eliminate the unpleasant experience of chomping down on hard cranberry seeds. if you cut them in half in the middle with the stem ends on either side it makes a tiny cup and the seeds fall right out, and more fall out when they are rinsed.

To me it's worth the effort.

I also use real cranberry juice now, I couldn't find cranberry SF syrup, and I didn't want it to taste like cherries or raspberries, so I got a jar of pure unsweetened cranberry juice and reduced it till it was super concentrated, then I added The Diabetisweet to that concentrate and soak the halved berries in the sweetened concentrate for as many days as I can get away with , up to a week or more even. When the insides are stained super red from the juice, then I drain them, keep the juice for the next batch, and dry them on parchment paper in the oven on low.

The ones with glycerine were more chewy like raisins, the one with just juice and Diabetisweet were drier and more crisp. I might try both in the future for different applications.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 02-03-2012 at 04:24 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I agree with Metqa, cutting them in half makes for better craisins and the addition of the glycerine does keep them more pliable, which I like. They're more like the ones you buy at the store.

As for cranberry flavored syrup, I use the Torani simple syrup and add a few drops of Lorann cranberry favoring oil. This works great and adds very few if any additional carbs. I love Lorann flavoring and have a huge collection of them, so much flavor in a couple of drops. My goal is to one day have all of them since I use them alot. I've quit buying the different flavors of Davinci and Torani syrups and now just buy the plain and add whatever flavoring I need.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-04-2012 at 08:35 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I agree with Metqa, cutting them in half makes for better craisins and the addition of the glycerine does keep them more pliable, which I like. They're more like the ones you buy at the store.

As for cranberry flavored syrup, I use the Torani simple syrup and add a few drops of Lorann cranberry favoring oil. This works great and adds very few if any additional carbs. I love Lorann flavoring and have a huge collection of them, so much flavor in a couple of drops. My goal is to one day have all of them since I use them alot. I've quit buying the different flavors of Davinci and Torani syrups and now just buy the plain and add whatever flavoring I need.
Oh that sounds neat! I just got some flavoring oils from a store going out of business and don't know what I should do with them. some are oils some are watery. I have to go see if I bought cranberry.

No one local carries Torani simple syrup, so I'd have to order it online, but I have so many sweeteners, I wonder if I can make my own simple syrup.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
bump
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote