Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
CRUNCHY!!!!!!

I am sick of pork rinds and I love nacho cheese doritos but they are not low carb so I need some suggestions for snacks that crunch!!!! So far I have:

pickles ( which I bought today)
cucumbers
green peppers
pepperoni chips
cheese chips

That is all that I have so far..............
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Kale chips? They're not as crunchy as Doritos, but they satisfy the salty/crunchy craving for me. I just tear up pieces of kale, add some olive oil, seasonings and salt, spread it out on my toaster oven tray and bake until it's crispy and starting to brown. There are better and more specific recipes out there if you google.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Celery.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
Take LC tortillas like Mama Lupe's and brush with olive oil on both sides. Cut in strips or wedges with a pizza cutter and sprinkle with coarse salt and/or shredded Parmesan cheese and/or herbs. Put on a cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Turn them over at the 7-8 minute mark. Let cool and then store in a ziplock bag at room temp.

I've made them with taco seasoning for guacamole and crunch in taco salads, plain for smearing with soft cheeses, but my favorite is Parmesan and rosemary for just snacking.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Celery.
That would be good with some peanut butter too, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enna1477 View Post
Take LC tortillas like Mama Lupe's and brush with olive oil on both sides. Cut in strips or wedges with a pizza cutter and sprinkle with coarse salt and/or shredded Parmesan cheese and/or herbs. Put on a cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Turn them over at the 7-8 minute mark. Let cool and then store in a ziplock bag at room temp.

I've made them with taco seasoning for guacamole and crunch in taco salads, plain for smearing with soft cheeses, but my favorite is Parmesan and rosemary for just snacking.
I like this idea, this sounds good!!!! I will try it, thank you for the recipe!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Kale chips? They're not as crunchy as Doritos, but they satisfy the salty/crunchy craving for me. I just tear up pieces of kale, add some olive oil, seasonings and salt, spread it out on my toaster oven tray and bake until it's crispy and starting to brown. There are better and more specific recipes out there if you google.
I wouldn't have thought of this either, olive oil with them sounds good, another recipe to try, thank you for the suggestion!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mummyzena
Stats: 296/283/160
WOE: atkins with more yummy vegetables
Start Date: 3rd January 2012
Fried cauliflower then roasted in the oven with a small spinkling of cheese and garlic powder.x
mummyzena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Jalapeno Parmesan crisps from netrition...or american cheese crisps sprinkled with chili powder and a dash of cayenne...yum
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
That would be good with some peanut butter too, thanks for the suggestion.
And cream cheese and green olives! And pimento cheese.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Furi
WOE: low carb
Start Date: October 2010
no one's said crispy bacon?

jicama either raw or sliced really thin and deep fried
nuts
flax seed crackers
radishes
Furi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Cheese "chips" - get deluxe American cheese, cut into little squares, bake or nuke til crispy.

Or Costco has this pack of 4 flavors of cheese already cut into "cracker" size - that's what I like to use - 4 flavors of "cheese crackers" when you're done!

How about nuts? If you're at that point in your journey, a few crunchy nuts really helps.

Raw cauliflower, sugar snap peas, broccoli, jicama - all help with my need to crunch. Dip them into some of the Jalapeno Greek Yogurt dip from Costco and boy it's a great snack!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Nacho Cheese "Corn Chips"

I've come up with something pretty darn close to those Dorito Nacho Cheese Chips, with fried jicama!

I also have a "potato chip" and "BBQ "potato chip” recipe on my site. The nacho cheese corn chip version shown above was sprinkled with a mixture of nacho cheese popcorn seasoning, corn bran and sea salt. This is the closest to a true tortilla chip as I’ve come to in my my attempts to come up with one. Though crispy fried jicama usually tastes more like potato chips, this combination of seasoning transitions it to more of a corn chip flavor. These are suitable once you get to the grain rung of OWL. If you omit the corn bran, you can have these in Induction. These are great with burgers, just as a snack, or would compliment your next Mexican food dinner quite nicely!

INGREDIENTS:

6 oz. peeled jicama, (that’s about 1/4-1/3 of a 6½” jicama)
Oil of your choice 1″ deep or more (I used peanut oil and counted 1T. absorbed in my numbers below)
1/8 tsp. crude corn bran
1/4 tsp. nacho cheese popcorn seasoning (I used Kernel Seasons brand from Walmart)
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Mix seasoning in a paper plate and I poured mine into an empty salt shaker I keep for such purposes. Set some papertoweling on newspaper by your stovetop for draining purposes. Next, peel and slice jicama VERY thin. I used a Rival fold-up slicer set on the thinnest setting, but a mandoline set on the thinnest blade setting would also work. It will take a very adept slicer to get it thin enough slicing with a knife by hand……not sure you can really. My food processor doesn’t slice this thin with either of the blades I have, but maybe you have a thinner blade than I. But if knife in hand is all you’ve got to work with, slice it as uniformly thin as you can. Bear in mind you will have to cook it much longer to get thicker slices to brown enough to get them truly crispy. You’re aiming for 1/16″ thick. Heat oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer. Drop about half the slices in so as not to crowd or cool off the oil to much. The bottoms will begin to brown first, so I flipped mine over several times to get the most even browning. You want these quite brown, but of course, not burned. Any white areas in the center will NOT be crispy, but rather chewy. But if these are browned well, they will be crisp even after they cool off! I was most impressed with that fact. When brown, lift out of oil with slotted spoon onto awaiting paper towels. While still hot and oily, sprinkle with salt/cheese/corn bran seasoning on both sides. Fry the second half of the chips and season as well.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving of about 20-25 chips (depends on size). Entire batch contains:

186 calories
13.7 g fat
15.4 g carbs, 8.5 g fiber, 6.9 g NET CARBS
1.2 g protein
161 mg sodium
255 mg potassium
46% RDA Vitamin C, 13% iron
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmztrav
Stats: 267.4/229.4/145 5'9"
WOE: ~65% fat, 20-30g net carbs
Start Date: 11/27/11
buttoni, those look incredible! I know what vegetable I'll be picking up at the store tomorrow.
cmztrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beachfires
Stats: 186.5//155
WOE: Atkins...modified to fit my life :o)
Start Date: 1/5/04/restart 8/5/10
while you may be tired of pork rinds...try emptying your bag of pork rinds into a gallon ziploc bag, sprinkle nacho cheese seasoning (from Walmart) and some Chili powder into the bag...shake and ENJOY....chili cheese pork rinds. I also use plain nacho cheese, white cheddar and butter...it's a way to enjoy the basically GUILT FREE/CARB FREE pork rind and not get tired of them )
beachfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #16

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by enna1477 View Post

I do this with Josephs Lavash Wraps, but at 350 it only takes 6 minutes, any longer they start to burn.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ivyblue
Stats: 150/?/130
Start Date: 7/12/2012
I like deep fried spinach leaves. Add a little sea salt and I think I'm eating potato chips.
ivyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfires View Post
while you may be tired of pork rinds...try emptying your bag of pork rinds into a gallon ziploc bag, sprinkle nacho cheese seasoning (from Walmart) and some Chili powder into the bag...shake and ENJOY....chili cheese pork rinds. I also use plain nacho cheese, white cheddar and butter...it's a way to enjoy the basically GUILT FREE/CARB FREE pork rind and not get tired of them )
Believe it or not, this is also good with Splenda and cinnamon, mixed together, and shaken with plain pork rinds! Start out with some mildly-flavored ones though, some of the plain ones are pretty porky.

The first time I did this DH said, "That is just WRONG on so many levels!" and he wouldn't try it. The next time he decided to TASTE ONE.

The rest is history.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hagrid's Dad
Stats: 290ish/197/185 (5' 10", 41 y.o.)
WOE: Primal/Atkins (dairy, but no sweeteners)
Start Date: June 23rd, 2011.
Fry cheese.

Melt butter in a frying pan. Sprinkle in grated cheese. (Optional: add tabasco sauce.) When the cheese turns brown, it's done. Remove with a spatula, and let it cool. It's still soft while it's hot, but as soon as it cools it gets crispy.

Yum! And really easy if you use pre-grated cheese.
Hagrid's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I love a crunchy snack too! I have been limiting my cheese and Sodium so a lot of the suggestions above aren't an option for me. I have very little control with peanut butter and bacon portions, too.

I Love to slice up Red bell peppers, cucumbers, celery and have it with either homemade Guacamole or Hummus. Crunchy veggies are also good with tuna, egg or chicken salad, too.

Good luck!!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Celery. Celery is my go-to for crunch and cool.

CHeese crisps are my go-to for crunch and warm, but they don't usually hold up under dip. So back to celery for dips. YUM!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #22
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Flax crackers are crunchy and so easy to make in the microwave. I would go for that on occasion (not too often since flax can kick you in the stomach from the inside if too much is ingested at a time).
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
I love taking a Joseph's whole wheat & Flax Lowcarb tortillas and cutting it up into smaller triangles and then doing one of the following:

Use a little cooking spray over the top and then add a bit of garlic powder, parsley and pop them in the toaster oven for a few minutes on low until lighly browned and chip like-use along with some homemade spinach dip

...or...

spray tops with butter spray, sprinkle on cinnamon and truvia. Eat alone or with a bit of fruit salsa (strawberries, raspberries, small amount of yellow apple mixed with a touch of Polaner SF jam)

...or...

toast up the small triangles and then top with cheese, green peppers, jalapenos, onion, etc for some kick butt nachos!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Snap peas, especially dipped in TJ's spinach artichoke dip. Yum.

Pumpkin seeds. Crunchy, salty, yummy.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Coconutty Crackers: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ond-thins.html
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Shredded Cheddar or Shredded Colby Jack nuked on Parchment paper. Sprinkle with Popcorn Nacho Seasoning.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote