Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
English Muffin (GF) - ready in a jiffy! Photo included

ENGLISH MUFFIN

I love this crispy English Muffin recipe. It is a take off of the one minute muffin (made with flax meal) on Lowcarfriends.com, but some of them have a sponge-like texture and this one does not. This recipe was born the day I opened my refrigerator and found nothing to spread my Strawberry Jam on. Try it – you will feel like you are cheating without a conscience. I think it is some kind of breakthrough. We love it! Pictured are the toasted muffins with a poached egg, ham and hollandaise sauce; a substantial, tasty breakfast! That is a regular-sized dinner plate, so we're looking at an English Muffin that is bigger than a regular English Muffin. This is a bland English muffin, just like the original - you don't taste the cheese in it.

1 egg
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
3 tbsp Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (45 mL)
page___
1/4 tsp baking powder (1 mL)
2 tbsp shredded Monterey Jack (30 mL)
cheese

In cereal bowl, beat egg and salt with fork. Add Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___ and baking powder. Whisk in well with fork. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese until well combined.

Nuke 1 minute and 10 seconds. Immediately loosen sides and invert muffin. Using a good, serrated bread knife, slice horizontally in two. Set an ordinary toaster to the last setting and toast. If desired, toast it one more time after that as well (maybe not for the full length of time - depends).

Helpful Hints: The muffin should be dry when inverted; i.e. no wet, soft spots in the center. My microwave oven is a powerful one and runs hot, so your times may differ depending on the strength of your microwave oven. This bread-like muffin may be used toasted for a variety of sandwiches or as a toasted bun for hamburgers. What is neat about this recipe is that it is ready in a jiffy. It doesn’t come more convenient than that! It is bland like an English muffin (have you ever had one not toasted?), therefore, great toasted and buttered with sugar free preserves or a little honey and shredded cheese to go with a cup of tea or coffee any time of day. Yummy! Essentially, bread in a jiffy!

I have also tried it with Pepper Jack Cheese in an Egg McMuffin. I used it in the muffin and also on top.

Yield: 1 serving
1 English Muffin
223.2 calories
13.1 g protein
16.0 g fat
5.2 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
DROOOOOOOOOOLWORTHY!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OMG!!! That looks so good Jen. Thanks. It's on my list.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
yummmmmm
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
English Muffins were my pre-LC downfall, so I am making this for lunch.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

I made one for hubby this morning he had it toasted with sf honey. I made one for myself subbing one tablespoon of flax for one of the gf flour tablespoons it was delicious as an egg sandwich. I must get some canadian bacon now.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that was quick Sisterzu - hey, but then this is a quick recipe! Glad you and DH liked it.

I forgot to add the Hollandaise sauce.

I have a microwave egg poacher - that makes it so much easier to do the poached eggs.

Carolyn, I hope you like it.

LOL Char.

It is yummy, Brenda. Works real well. I was very surprised as it is just something I threw together in desperation one day.

You're welcome, Esther.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 01-23-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
This sauce is useful for serving over poached eggs, asparagus, green beans or fish.

3 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice (22 mL)
1/2 cup butter (125 mL)

In double boiler over hot water (not boiling), whisk eggs and lemon juice. Add one third of butter, whisk constantly until melted; repeat with remaining butter. Remove from heat as mixture thickens and is completely heated.

Yield: 2/3 cup (150 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) per serving
99.6 calories
0.9 g protein
10.7 g fat
0.2 g carbs

Helpful Hints: Some people make this sauce in a blender. Pioneer Woman has a neat way of making it. She has step-by-step instructions for this sauce made in a blender, plus how to make poached eggs the old fashioned (more difficult) way. You might want to make half her recipe as hers is substantial.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 01-23-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. Gluten-Free Bake Mix

The Gluten-Free Bake Mix is in the Gluten-Free Room in the recipe thread - #46 posting.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Resident crazy dog lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Wow, that was quick Sisterzu - hey, but then this is a quick recipe! Glad you and DH liked it.

I forgot to add the Hollandaise sauce.

I have a microwave egg poacher - that makes it so much easier to do the poached eggs.

Carolyn, I hope you like it.

LOL Char.

It is yummy, Brenda. Works real well. I was very surprised as it is just something I threw together in desperation one day.

You're welcome, Esther.
We must live in different time zones lol. I always pop in early before breakfast to get a jump on my daily reading. I already have the gluten free mix made up so I decided to try it. My hubby needs to be low carb for his diabetes and I'm trying to give him subs for bread to bring down his daily carbs. Thanks again your the best! I definitely will be using this recipe often.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
I will be trying this, as soon as I get the stuff to make the bake mix.

HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Resident crazy dog lady

I want to add that it's substantial just like a regular english muffin, the same texture, brilliant, just brilliant! Minute muffins are more like cake to me but these are distinctly a bread texture.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Looks great, Jen. Never thought to have one this way, but that a GREAT breakfast idea served that way. Thanks!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention it has HOLES! lol Similar to an English muffin. It is bland, it is holey, similar texture and what else? It crisps up real well. I have made many versions of the one minute muffin (even some bread-like ones) but nothing comes close to this one for this particular purpose. I've long since stopped making those others, because I went off them. They were a bit spongy and Kevin used to call them "sponge breads" and was unimpressed with anything I came up with. If only he knew how much people miss him. He was an amazing guy and a very skilled high-tech baker.

Sistertzu, THANK you!!

Great brekkie - thanks Peggy.

LOL Jules - this might be the answer for you, as I know from your post you sound very busy. Once you have the bake mix made up, you can make this English Muffin first thing in the morning with some butter, sugar free jam and grated cheese perhaps to go along with your coffee or tea, OR make an Egg McMuffin - and, believe me, you will be passing up the donut tray if there is such a thing at work. It really satiates.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sisterzu - we are the same as Eastern Standard time at the moment. We don't have daylight saving, so that changes in the Spring.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention it has HOLES! lol Similar to an English muffin. It is bland, it is holey, similar texture and what else? It crisps up real well. I have made many versions of the one minute muffin (even some bread-like ones) but nothing comes close to this one for this particular purpose. I've long since stopped making those others, because I went off them. They were a bit spongy and Kevin used to call them "sponge breads" and was unimpressed with anything I came up with. If only he knew how much people miss him. He was an amazing guy and a very skilled high-tech baker.

Sistertzu, THANK you!!

Great brekkie - thanks Peggy.

LOL Jules - this might be the answer for you, as I know from your post you sound very busy. Once you have the bake mix made up, you can make this English Muffin first thing in the morning with some butter, sugar free jam and grated cheese perhaps to go along with your coffee or tea, OR make an Egg McMuffin - and, believe me, you will be passing up the donut tray if there is such a thing at work. It really satiates.
Quick question. I think the only thing I don't have for the bake mix is the gluten-free oat flour. Is that readily available at the grocery or health store? Or, do I need to place a Netrition order?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I do like it..I ballparked the bake mix..For the 3 Tbs. I had 1 tsp. coconut flour, 1 2/3 Tbs. of the almond flour and 1 Tbs. of the oat flour..It was very good..

I think it would be fun to make the dry mix up for the a.m. the night before, then add the liquid ingredients.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Thank you so much, Jennifer!

OOh! Can you see me jumping up and down in PA? Yeah, I'm excited. An English muffin without any wheat or flax makes me verrrrry happy! It seems like so many of the better lc bread type thingies use one or both and I don't eat either.

Now, I know this sounds really weird, but that picture looked so good, that I am thinking of making eggs Benedict for "dessert". Dang, not enough time tonight! Can't wait to try it, though.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Quick question. I think the only thing I don't have for the bake mix is the gluten-free oat flour. Is that readily available at the grocery or health store? Or, do I need to place a Netrition order?
Turkey lurkey ..... I just realized I also need Xanthan gum ... I guess I do need to place a Netrition order.

HUGz! Jules
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
If you have a store that carries Bob's Red Mill products, they may have the oat flour.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
If you have a store that carries Bob's Red Mill products, they may have the oat flour.
I go to a place called Sprouts, and I am guessing they might carry it.

Any idea on the Xanthan gum? Or is that definitely a Netrition order?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Thanks, Jennifer! These look to die for! I miss my English Muffins!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheesemaker
Stats: 205/191/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2010
Sprouts in Texas carries Bob's Red Mill products to include Xanthan Gum.
cheesemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemaker View Post
Sprouts in Texas carries Bob's Red Mill products to include Xanthan Gum.
Very cool!! Thank you!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
The Gluten-Free Bake Mix is in the Gluten-Free Room in the recipe thread - #46 posting.
Sorry to be a dummy, but where exactly is the GF room? I can't seem to locate it.

Your recipe looks delish, but I need the bake mix recipe first. Thank you.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Speaking of Sprouts stores, they bought out the Sun Harvest stores in San Antonio, if anyone is searching.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Speaking of Sprouts stores, they bought out the Sun Harvest stores in San Antonio, if anyone is searching.
They bought out Henry's here.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Jen, you passed another Billie test. I made this up tonight for supper. (Right after I found it here!) I used a ramekin which was slightly smaller in diameter than your bowl. It rose all the way to to top. I sliced it into 3 slightly thiner than regular English muffins. I toasted all three. They toasted up very nicely (I almost over toasted them, but caught them just in time.) The first & thinnest slice (they weren't even tickenesses), I put butter (Jen's Healthy Butter) on, and spread with some of my SF cranberry jam. Then I poached 2 eggs (I have a micro poacher too, given to me by my DD). Warmed up a couple small pieces of ham I happened to have, and heated up some Hollandaise sauce I also happened to have in the fridge. Wallah! (Sp) Eggs Benedict! OH, I had the bake mix already made up too!

Sis, wish I'd have thought to replace 1 TBsp of the mix with flax. I might next time to cut down the carbs. I didn't even notice the carb count Jen had listed till I had it made. I never would have dreamed 5+ carbs in this! I have some golden flax which would go well in this.

Nekkidfish, if you aren't gluten intolerant, and don't NEED it to be gluten free, you can make oat flour (If you have a blender or food processor) from oats. Just whirl in a blender or food processor till they become flour! I used to do that in my high carb days. I have been buying my oat flour for these recipes tho. Many grocery stores (especially chains) carry xanthan gum in the baking isle. Health food stores (if there is one near you) also carry it. (The baking isle is usually cheaper.) I bet Sprouts will have the Xanthan gum!

Carolyn, you could even make up the "muffin" the night before then toast it the next day. I think that would be even better than making it that morning.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I agree with you Jennifer, not making OMM's anymore. Could not get used to that spongeeness (word?). One thing I have missed is english muffins with pb melted on top. YUM to me, anyway. So I have all the ingredients and even some pb with flax seeds in it from TJ's. I will try this tomorrow.

As for the sauce, if I make it and can't use it all at once, will this keep in the frig?

Thanks for sharing.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I miss sprouts so much. You can order anything you want from sprouts too.

I use to order gaur gum , flaked unsweetened coconut, and they have pamona pectin. I love sprout. We have nothing like that up here.

Oh my and there cheeses and sausages , out of this world. Love there butcher shop too.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote