Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Billie, you'll be happy to know, I just came up with something that has a softer texture and more bread-like for that purpose - also made in the microwave in 1 minute and 10 sec. I'll share it one of these days soon. I just need to make a bunch things with it. I think the new recipe would make a fairly nice bun, but better as bread and as toast.

I agree re the cheese.

I can get lemons here but they all look like little green limes, and I'm suspicious that that is exactly what they are! Yet the Spanish folk all reassure me that they are "limones".
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,342
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Jen, I like to watch Spanish cooking shows. I notice that limon=lime and limon amarillo= lemon. So yes, that limon is lime.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jen - I you! I've had an English muffin the last two mornings for breakfast, yesterday with butter and s.f. strawberry jam and today with butter and peanut butter -- yum! I've made the muffin in the evening, cooled on a rack, put in a sandwich baggie and left on the counter overnight. I use 2 Tb. Kevin's Carbalose flour mix and 1 Tb. golden flax, everything else is the same. Thank you, Jennifer, for this great and easy recipe. This is finally a bread item that will toast up like regular high carb bread and English muffins. Tomorrow is going to be a cheese muffin - toast the muffin lightly, butter, cover with cheese, toast again till cheese is melted - mmmmm good!
__________________
HAPPY TO BE A LOW-CARBER!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Jen - I you! I've had an English muffin the last two mornings for breakfast, yesterday with butter and s.f. strawberry jam and today with butter and peanut butter -- yum! I've made the muffin in the evening, cooled on a rack, put in a sandwich baggie and left on the counter overnight. I use 2 Tb. Kevin's Carbalose flour mix and 1 Tb. golden flax, everything else is the same. Thank you, Jennifer, for this great and easy recipe. This is finally a bread item that will toast up like regular high carb bread and English muffins. Tomorrow is going to be a cheese muffin - toast the muffin lightly, butter, cover with cheese, toast again till cheese is melted - mmmmm good!
And then add a poached egg on top and YUM!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Billie, you'll be happy to know, I just came up with something that has a softer texture and more bread-like for that purpose - also made in the microwave in 1 minute and 10 sec. I'll share it one of these days soon. I just need to make a bunch things with it. I think the new recipe would make a fairly nice bun, but better as bread and as toast.

I agree re the cheese.

I can get lemons here but they all look like little green limes, and I'm suspicious that that is exactly what they are! Yet the Spanish folk all reassure me that they are "limones".
I realize that the English Muffin wasn't the BEST choice for a hamburger, but it was quick & easy, spoke to me at the time, and I was out of any other bread (my last few slices of the other bread had gone moldy). So that is what I had. Decided while eating it, that it wasn't the best idea. But it wasn't bad. Just could have been better. I look forward to your new recipe!
Now I've got to go figure out what I'm going to have for a very late lunch, early dinner!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I realize that the English Muffin wasn't the BEST choice for a hamburger, but it was quick & easy, spoke to me at the time, and I was out of any other bread (my last few slices of the other bread had gone moldy). So that is what I had. Decided while eating it, that it wasn't the best idea. But it wasn't bad. Just could have been better. I look forward to your new recipe!
Now I've got to go figure out what I'm going to have for a very late lunch, early dinner!
Whatever is in the fridge already made, I say,
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Whatever is in the fridge already made, I say,
You sound like MY kinda cook!!! I found some chili (canned kind) in the fridge (which needed to be eaten), and had Hebrew National franks in the freezer. Guess what I had? I thawed & heated the dogs, heated the chili. Laid the dogs (2) on a bed of shredded Cheddar/jack, put on some chopped onions (heated again slightly), and topped with the chili! Pretty good!
I realize the canned chili isn't the best low carb choice, but I won't have a lot of other carbs today, and it is an occasional meal with the hot dogs. Don't have it often. The chili is NO beans by the way! (What I preferred even in my high carb days!)
__________________
Billie

***********
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
***
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 01-27-2012 at 03:39 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
You sound like MY kinda cook!!! I found some chili (canned kind) in the fridge (which needed to be eaten), and had Hebrew National franks in the freezer. Guess what I had? I thawed & heated the dogs, heated the chili. Laid the dogs (2) on a bed of shredded Cheddar/jack, put on some chopped onions (heated again slightly), and topped with the chili! Pretty good!
I realize the canned chili isn't the best low carb choice, but I won't have a lot of other carbs today, and it is an occasional meal with the hot dogs. Don't have it often. The chili is NO beans by the way! (What I preferred even in my high carb days!)
Perfect in my book! I made an "english muffin", topped with a slice of cheese and fried eggs. Added a glass of almond milk, along with a good book and I am a happy camper.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member
 
Linnylamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 283
Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
I really like these muffins! On Thursday, we had one with our turkey meatball soup and this morning I had one topped with an over easy egg.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thank you, Soobee - that is very interesting and it makes sense to me. I think some of the peeps around here are still confused in any case.

Great, Tweaker! Happy you found a version that is good also.

Hey, Billie - glad you had a nice burger lunch. I'll be posting new jiffy bread-type recipes soon.

Linny and Tilly - I have this BIG grin on my face!! So happy-happy you like it.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I finally tried this. I need to be gluten-free, and I was excited to be able to make a single serving. I didn't read to make it in a cereal bowl so I made it in a custard dish. It was small in size so I will try it in a cereal bowl next time.

I am so grateful for these recipes you all experiment with and post for us. It makes all the difference in the world. I never would have thought to put the cheese in something like this.

Jen- I bought your book and can't wait to try things. I understand it is too expensive, but I wish it had photos. I love the photos you take of your food and I just love food porn The beautiful photos make me try the recipes. The other photo that has me going crazy to make the recipe is the one for the chocolate chip cookies.

Thank you for this recipe!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi there,

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Photos are on the website and on our blogs - as long as you know the author and the name of the recipe - you should usually be able to locate a photo.

You are right, it certainly is "muy caro" to have photos in the cookbook. The publisher didn't have the money for that unfortunately, plus we have to pay 7 people with each book sold, and the printing, warehousing and shipping as well, and we are generous with royalties.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Jen - I you! I've had an English muffin the last two mornings for breakfast, yesterday with butter and s.f. strawberry jam and today with butter and peanut butter -- yum! I've made the muffin in the evening, cooled on a rack, put in a sandwich baggie and left on the counter overnight. I use 2 Tb. Kevin's Carbalose flour mix and 1 Tb. golden flax, everything else is the same. Thank you, Jennifer, for this great and easy recipe. This is finally a bread item that will toast up like regular high carb bread and English muffins. Tomorrow is going to be a cheese muffin - toast the muffin lightly, butter, cover with cheese, toast again till cheese is melted - mmmmm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
And then add a poached egg on top and YUM!
I haven't done that yet, Tilly, but it sure sounds good! I made an open faced tuna melt today for lunch on 1/2 a muffin.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 01-30-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
....... I didn't read to make it in a cereal bowl so I made it in a custard dish. It was small in size so I will try it in a cereal bowl next time.
.......................!
sungoddess, do you have any ramekins larger than that custard dish? I have several different sizes of ramekins, and I make mine (as well the different one min muffins, etc) in those. I use the size according to how large I want my muffin to be. Just a thought!

I've made the one minute muffin (unsweetened) in a square or rectangular dish, to be more the shape of bread at times. It was good for a quick bread when I needed some,but didn't have any, or for one of the grandkids who had a gluten intolerance. But I digress. Now back to the regularly scheduled English Muffins!!!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!
 
Brendajm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: lancaster, Pa
Posts: 2,011
Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I have to try this soon. I got 2 of those egg cooker microwave things at KMart and they would make a perfect size english muffin.. Have you tried to make several at at time yet/
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
sungoddess, do you have any ramekins larger than that custard dish? I have several different sizes of ramekins, and I make mine (as well the different one min muffins, etc) in those. I use the size according to how large I want my muffin to be. Just a thought!

I've made the one minute muffin (unsweetened) in a square or rectangular dish, to be more the shape of bread at times. It was good for a quick bread when I needed some,but didn't have any, or for one of the grandkids who had a gluten intolerance. But I digress. Now back to the regularly scheduled English Muffins!!!
I do have one. Thanks for the great idea!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
I have to try this soon. I got 2 of those egg cooker microwave things at KMart and they would make a perfect size english muffin.. Have you tried to make several at at time yet/
Brenda - I made 3 the last time I made them, kept one at room temp for the next morning, put one in the fridge and one in the freezer. I've eaten two and took the last one out of the freezer this afternoon and put in fridge to thaw. So far I've noticed no difference in the taste or texture.

Oh, BTW, I put some cinnamon and a tad of sweetener in one of them, I liked it that way, toasted with butter. Since you can't taste the cheese it makes no difference by adding the cinnamon, which you can taste.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Ah, Tweaker, have I got a treat for you! I'll post soon - Cinnamon Raisin Bread - 8 slices - done in the microwave oven.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Ah, Tweaker, have I got a treat for you! I'll post soon - Cinnamon Raisin Bread - 8 slices - done in the microwave oven.
Oh my gosh, can't wait for that one!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member
 
nekkidfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 288
Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Ah, Tweaker, have I got a treat for you! I'll post soon - Cinnamon Raisin Bread - 8 slices - done in the microwave oven.
Me too!! Can you post the link here when it goes up ... I'm subscribed to this thread but I don't want to miss that one!!

HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
K Jules, just for you.

Coming soon, Tilly. Just busy! Sending off 2nd edition of vol. 1 today.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Ah, Tweaker, have I got a treat for you! I'll post soon - Cinnamon Raisin Bread - 8 slices - done in the microwave oven.
Jen - I just saw your Cinnamon Raisin Bread recipe, sound good. However, I'm not a big raisin fan so I'm thinking of putting some of my dried sweetened cranberries in it instead.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
K Jules, just for you.

Coming soon, Tilly. Just busy! Sending off 2nd edition of vol. 1 today.
Do I see a vacation in your future, Jennifer?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Sounds like a plan, Tweaker. The slightly tart cranberry raisins would be rather interesting in the bread. Otherwise, Billie made it plain and someone on my blog said she made it plain but added onion powder and caraway seeds. She loved it.

I love that bread - would like to test it out as French toast.

Tilly, I guess that is why the last two days I have had "nothing" days - i.e. not too productive. I don't see a vacation in my future for a while - maybe next year on the low-carb cruise? I've never ever been on a cruise. I think stuck on ship with not much to do and fantastic food - I'd probably gain weight!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

I think stuck on ship with not much to do and fantastic food - I'd probably gain weight!
You and me both. LC/HC, no matter. I can gain weight just looking at food!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #86
Junior LCF Member
 
apple2peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 53
Gallery: apple2peach
Stats: 180/147.5/goal 140
WOE: hHCG pellets
Start Date: R1 2/11/'12 R2 4/17/'12
Thanks for posting the yumminess! Newbie here with IBS,trying to find some recipes before i begin. Recipes like this are gold standard THANK YOU!
apple2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member
 
Oregon Transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 621
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
I finally had all the ingredients to make up a big batch of the gluten-free bake mix this week. This was the first recipe I tried. I doubled it, put it in a rectangular glass dish, then cut it in half to make it thinner. I then toasted it in the oven and used it as a pizza crust. Yum! I've tried many, many crust recipes and none of them ever crisp up enough to pick up and eat the pizza. This was perfect. I'm so happy you shared this recipe with us. I'll actually make the english muffin tomorrow. I can't wait to have it toasted with some butter.
__________________
********************************************

Shana
Oregon Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple2peach View Post
Thanks for posting the yumminess! Newbie here with IBS,trying to find some recipes before i begin. Recipes like this are gold standard THANK YOU!
!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Haha Tilly

Welcome, Apple2peach. Going gluten-free seemed to help IBS for me - so far! I don't have a problem any more.

Very interesting, Oregon Transplant - and very creative!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!
 
jbatchelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 1,852
Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
just had a wonderful muffin with some sf blackberry jam on it--used the recipe as it was originally in a microwave muffin cooker I found at walmart that has an attached fliptop lid--I did flip the lid on it but wont the next time-I think it prevented it from rising as much as it could-but it did rise well to make a wonder size muffin anyway--sliced I still had more than a half inch each piece easily--with butter and jam I surely enjoyed my new found breakfast treat-much better than eggs this morning--took 1 minute 10 seconds in my microwave too! Thanks Jennifer for sharing--I am just beginning to bake this way--thanks for making it so easy to not have a flop!!!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.