Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Wolfgang Puck's pie maker for an egg baker (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/754475-wolfgang-pucks-pie-maker-egg-baker.html)

Sharon 01-21-2012 09:19 AM

Wolfgang Puck's pie maker for an egg baker

I just bought a Wolfgang Puck Pie & Pastry Maker from HSN. My thoughts were that since it looks like a sandwich maker with 2 wells that are about 3" deep it could be used for an egg baker. So, I put in egg, cream, bacon, cheese and onion, waited 10 minutes, pulled out one and it wasn't baked enough. I let the other one cook for a total of 20 minutes and it was done. There are times that I don't want to stand at the stove for an omelet so this will be my "go-to" machine. The heat does form a crust like a cupcake. I did not use any pie crust so I sprayed the machine with Pam. There is a quiche pie recipe in the book so I started with that and omitted the potatoes and pie crust. I can see that I will modify my recipe and add things that I want - maybe chopped spinach. Cut that recipe or whatever one you use in half because that is for 2 servings. By the way, the price was quite reasonable.

Pam 01-21-2012 12:55 PM

Sharon....I watched Wolfgang on HSN and wanted to buy one, but waited too long to place an order. They were sold out. I'll purchase one if it comes back in stock. Happy baking!

Sharon 01-21-2012 03:43 PM

Why not try his website as he may sell products there.
I waited and waited and waited until they said that there's only #______ left. At that point, I ordered 2 so I probably got the one you wanted. I'm taking one to our ski condo. I'm usually rushing around to get ready to ski so this way I'll just put everything in the baker and come down to a great LC breakfast. Bacon, eggs, cheese, cream plus soem veggies - sure is LCing a great way. I get so sick and tired of the food at the slopes plus the cost. It seems like the junkier the food the higher the cost. BTW - I started induction while skiing. What a challenge but I did it. I had to cart my food to the slopes as there is nothing LC/induction friendly there - donuts, pancakes and syrup. chips, candy bars, french fries. In their defense, they do have salads.

buttoni 01-21-2012 06:48 PM

What a clever appliance. But where do you guys store all these specialized gadgets? I just don't have the cabinet space to store any more small appliances. That's what you deal with when you decide to size down your domain after retirement. The kitchen gets sized down, too. :(

Barbo 01-21-2012 10:29 PM

Friendly Statement

The last time I bought a non-stick appliance and
sprayed it with a release agent, it ruined the finish on the pan.

watcher513 01-21-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15349986)
The last time I bought a non-stick appliance and
sprayed it with a release agent, it ruined the finish on the pan.

Agreed. The spray ingredients aren't good for non-stick pans. High heat isn't good for them either as it breaks down the materials faster.

Sharon 01-22-2012 02:42 PM

Then maybe I won't spray the machine. Today, I used 1 egg, 1/3 cup grated cheese, some sausage, cream, a dash of hot sauce, a couple of grape tomatoes and one chopped green onion. Sure made an easy breakfast.

As to where I put the gadgets, I finally made room in the pantry. But, I am not buying them like I used to. I also am retired. What saved me is that we bought a place at Mammoth so I emptied half my kitchen down there and made myself a promise not to replace all of them here. I gave away my pasta machine, bagel machine, ice cream machine and a second pressure cooker so that made some extra space.

Barbo 01-23-2012 12:12 AM

Wolfgang's Gadget

Of course I mean that in the nicest way:cool:

I watched the video and was fascinated.

Sharon, I can't wait for your report on what you

have made with this tool. They were sold out.

Sharon 01-24-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15352589)
Sharon, I can't wait for your report on what you

have made with this tool. They were sold out.

Yesterday

1 egg
about 1+ tbs. cream
chopped/cooked bacon - have used sausage in one
about 1/3 cup shredded cheese
1 green onion
about 7 grape tomatoes cut in halves
dash of hot sauce
pepper
ingredients are a guess since I didn't measure
cook 20 minutes

It was delicious. Bill asked me if I was keeping the second machine and my answer was "absolutely!" It's quick and easy to make them. The very first one I cooked for 10 minutes and found that there was a nice crust on it but it just ran all over the plate. Then I checked the next one by putting a knife down the center and found that with 15 minutes of cooking it was still not cooked. Now, I use Large eggs and cook 20 minutes. I don't check anymore because that seems to be the perfect amount of time to cook them and NOT dry it out. The bacon is use is the one from WalMart that is cooked and chopped. On the sausage one, I threw patty in microwave for a minute while I was chopping up the onion. Then did a quick chop on the patty.

I think that anything could be used in the mixture. I haven't gotten around to chopped spinach. "Betcha" cooked/leftover broccoli would work well, too. I know that it sounds like lots of time to prepare the ingredients but in reality it's very quick. There are 2 wells in the machine so one could make 2 different ones.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-24-2012 11:25 AM

I couldn't find the Wolfgang Pucks, but I did see a pie maker from Emeril. Could you point me to the way?

Pam 01-24-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 15357119)
I couldn't find the Wolfgang Pucks, but I did see a pie maker from Emeril. Could you point me to the way?

Julie, it's out of stock. I saw the Emeril pie maker. It's similar, but it looks like it makes 4 where Wolfgang's makes 2.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-24-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks pam, I'll keep my eye out for it. Julie

Barbo 01-24-2012 02:57 PM

To see the WPuck Pie Maker

Go to Home Shopping Network or Google it.

Then to Wolfgang Puck.

That's how I saw the appliance.

Sharon 01-24-2012 03:10 PM

Check Wolfgang's website to see if they are available there. I will bet that when he returns to HSN that this product will be available.

Barbo 01-24-2012 03:14 PM

Checked out WP's website

Put the words. Electric Pie Baker in and it did not come
up with the appliance for me.

Sharon 01-25-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15357727)
Put the words. Electric Pie Baker in and it did not come up with the appliance for me.

I found these listed on a google search

Related Searches for electric pie maker
Sunbeam Pie Maker
Emeril Pie Maker
Mini Pie Maker
Sunbeam Pie Magic
Breville Pie Maker
Williams-Sonoma Pie Maker

Sharon 01-28-2012 07:31 AM

Crispy Tuna Casserole Pies - Not LC

I just made these last night from the recipe book.
mashed potatoes
French Fried onion rings
tuna (ham, ground beef, turkey, tofu, chichen or more veggies)
egg
green onions
celery
grated cheese
salt/pepper
10 minutes in the pie maker

I thought they were great - my husband said OK but he said that he would eat them again. Bread crumbs are used for the bottom and the top. I managed to get them out in one piece. The recipe said that this is a great way to use up leftovers and I would tend to think that they are right.

My next try will be bamboo shoots, egg and veggies

whoknew 01-28-2012 08:02 AM

I found these on eBay -- and they ship in the original HSN box!!!!

Sharon 01-30-2012 11:28 AM

what's the price on those on eBay?

millergirl1976 01-30-2012 11:48 AM

I have an Express 101 that I bought from the infomercial many years ago tucked away in the back of my pantry. It sounds very similar- I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

dawnyama 06-08-2013 07:56 AM

This is on HSN today!!! Only $25 (split into 2 payments) with free shipping. Wonder if I should get it or not? It seems reasonably priced.

On the demo this morning, he sprayed the wells before putting in him molten chocolate cake batter. He said that it was so delicate a cake that the wells needed to be sprayed. And his son (who will be air later today) Oliver makes things in this appliance all the time. He (Oliver) especially loves the molten chocolate cake.

AdrianaG 10-24-2013 02:08 PM

Overstock.com has refurbished pie makers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 15348752)
Sharon....I watched Wolfgang on HSN and wanted to buy one, but waited too long to place an order. They were sold out. I'll purchase one if it comes back in stock. Happy baking!

If you missed them on HsN here's a second chance. There is also somebody (seller is planmister) selling them on ebay for $8 plus shipping.

AdrianaG 10-24-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon (Post 15374009)
what's the price on those on eBay?

$8 from seller planmister