Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Stick Blender for Whipping Cream

The other night I wanted to whip some cream and just hate getting out the bowl and hand mixer to do that for a measly 1/2 cup of cream. I keep forgetting I got a stick blender for Christmas (a year ago!) actually. I remembered it this time and pulled out the measuring container that came with it, poured in my 1/2 cup cream, stuck that stick in there and in about 2-5 seconds flat I had the thickest whipping cream I've ever whipped! No stabilizing ingredient needed! Two drops of sweetener and 2-3 drops of vanilla and it was so fast! I've just GOT to remember about how nice these wonderful little tools are! I've only used it on a couple pureed soups so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
The other night I wanted to whip some cream and just hate getting out the bowl and hand mixer to do that for a measly 1/2 cup of cream. I keep forgetting I got a stick blender for Christmas (a year ago!) actually. I remembered it this time and pulled out the measuring container that came with it, poured in my 1/2 cup cream, stuck that stick in there and in about 2-5 seconds flat I had the thickest whipping cream I've ever whipped! No stabilizing ingredient needed! Two drops of sweetener and 2-3 drops of vanilla and it was so fast! I've just GOT to remember about how nice these wonderful little tools are! I've only used it on a couple pureed soups so far.
For goodness sake, I never thought to use it for that. Soups were the only thing I had used it for as well. Nice to know!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Wow, that is a cool idea!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
I use it to puree cooked cauliflower to make mashed "potatoes". Works great. I press a lot of the water out of the cauli before I whir.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sometimes I only want to whip up 1/4 c. whipping cream, and I fear that small of an amount might not even allow the blade to be submerged (which is required for it to work properly), but I'm going to see if it will do that small of an amount. I'm using a Cuisinart stick blender BTW. Really powerful and does a nice job pureeing cauli and soups. Like you, Tilly, I just never thought it would be strong enough to whip cream. But this one sure is!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Sometimes I only want to whip up 1/4 c. whipping cream, and I fear that small of an amount might not even allow the blade to be submerged (which is required for it to work properly), but I'm going to see if it will do that small of an amount. I'm using a Cuisinart stick blender BTW. Really powerful and does a nice job pureeing cauli and soups. Like you, Tilly, I just never thought it would be strong enough to whip cream. But this one sure is!
Wow, now will I remember that when I go to whip some cream? Which is so seldom. (I lose thoughts so easily, darn. )
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
I used my stick blender to whip 1/4 cup of cream just the other day. I did it in a small bowl so it took longer to whip because the cream was spread out over the bottom of the bowl. I couldn't think of a better container to use at the time and didn't want to use a glass measuring cup. What does your stick blender's container look like? Mine didn't come with one.

I Googled your stick blender and found this photo showing the container. Surely I've got something that shape around my kitchen somewhere. I think the secret is to use a container that's not much wider in diameter than the bottom of the stick blender.

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

I found the perfect little container for whipping 1/4 cup of cream. I don't think I'd risk doing more than 1/4 cup in it though because it's not very deep. You're right Peggy. It only took a few seconds to whip it unlike when I did it in a bowl. I used an old Rubbermaid Servin' Saver 1 cup container with straight sides. It looks like this:

The diameter is only slightly wider than my stick blender. Now I have to make a little blueberry cobbler for myself to use up the cream that I just whipped, LOL.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
If your stick blender has a whisk attachment, it's even better I haven't used my hand mixer in years.
Also a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup is perfect for beating egg whites, cream, etc. Deep enough to keep splatters to a minimum.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@Linda....yep, thats the one I've got, and that measuring container came with it. Also came with a chopper/grinder attachment, which I've not used yet. Ain't kitchen experimenting a tough row to hoe? Enjoy that cobbler, girl! LOL

@Dottie....Mine does have the whisk, Dottie. I think I'll try that on cream next time. Haven't even used the whisk. Mine even came with a chopper/grinder attachment that looks like a mini-food processor with 2-cup bowl. I have a big food processor, so I pretty much reach for that FIRST, as it's out on the counter already.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-22-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Another great tool for whipping cream, if you have one, is the Magic Bullet. I use the small container and in just seconds flat it is whipped thick and creamy.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Peggy,i had that very Cuisinart stick blender (In red). I used the wisk & that container to whip smaller ammouts of cream a lot. Then back before Thanksgiving (I think it was) last year it stripped out on me. (In the motor section of course.) I did a lot of looking and thinking as to whether to buy a new motor section/power unit, a whole new unit like that one (which actually would have been about as cheap as just the power unit), or a different machine. I really liked the Cuisinart. In the end, I finally decided on, and ordered a Ninja Warrior stick blender combo unit. For someth ings I liked the Cuisinart stick blender better, but for some things I love this Ninja. Still haven't decided if it would whip cream tho. Nothing in their (pittiful) recipe book/manual or on their site says anything about it. I may give it a try one of these days tho.
The head (blade part) on the Ninja is MUCH bigger than the one on my Cuisinart (or other ones I've had in the past or seen), and it won't fit down in the container that came with the Cuisinart. I had been hopeful it would. If just the stick blender part of the Cuisinart (not the whip) did a good job of whipping the cream, I'm thinking the Ninja will too. Not sure about as small amount as 1/4 cup tho, as I wonder if it would be enough (since this one is larger, and the "cup" is larger as well), and think most of it might get "lost" in the blade assembly. I may try sometime tho, and if it isn't enough cream, just add more. Maybe I can do 1/2 cup at least.
But since you have that whip, give it a try sometime. I really liked mine.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #13

I did end up with a bit of whipped cream trapped in the blade assembly but that's what I've got fingers for. I got a little bonus snack. The blade on my cheap stick blender isn't all that sharp when it's not moving.

P.S. - The blueberry cobbler with whipped cream was yummy.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
I have the same stick multi task tool.
I only use 2 Tbsp HWC and a drinking goblet that is shaped just like the whisk attachment-part of blender.
Since I am the only Low Carber in my household.....necessity was the mother of invention...learning to do small portions presents both challenges and rewards!!
Galveston Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

My Ninja stick has 3 blades instead of 1. (Thus why it is so much larger than the others.) The blades are pretty sharp. Doesn't mean I haven't worked around them with my fingers tho to get stuff out.
It does a pretty impressive job of blending up ice!!
I miss the whisk attachment that the Cuisinart had.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I have a Kitchen Aid stick blender that I purchased 4 years ago when my oldest started on solid foods. I steamed all his veggies and pureed them with the stick blender. I used it to make whipped cream the last time I had Jody's pumpkin bake. It's a godsend for small portions!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I did end up with a bit of whipped cream trapped in the blade assembly but that's what I've got fingers for. I got a little bonus snack. The blade on my cheap stick blender isn't all that sharp when it's not moving.

P.S. - The blueberry cobbler with whipped cream was yummy.
Yeah, I looked on Amazon and the model I have is the CSB-77. I'm happy with it so far, but I've not used it much yet. Just so used to my big food processors. One user there said the teeth stripped out on her chopper/grinder head after only 4 uses. Two others were happy with theirs. I guess there are a few lemons with any company though, really. I'll just have to hope mine doesn't end up being a lemon.

I've got some blackberries to use up. You're making me want to go in right now and make your individual cobbler recipe!!

Last edited by buttoni; 01-22-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I found a small bowl just the right size to try the small amount of cream in. I think I had to end up using 1/3 to 1/2 cup just to have enough cream to try to whip. (Didn't measure)
Not an experiment I'm likely to repeat. Had to "blend" it longer than I'm supposed to run the motor (or close anyway). It finally did whip, but not really like I would have liked it to. And even using my fingers, I did lose too much (in my opinion) in the blades. So for me, with my blender, it wasn't a success.
Maybe if I did a little more at one time, it might do better, but I'm thinking not. As I said, whipped cream was not one of the things that was recommended either in the book, or online. Guess it's back to my KA stand mixer for all my whipped cream.
I had had my Cuisinart stick blender for about 6 years If I remember correctly. Several years anyway. Motor still works, but the gears or cogs or whatever are stripped. Problem is it is in the main motor part. I would have rather it had been in the gear box of the mini processor.
I made up one of my little chocolate fiber cakes (spin off of Carolyn's 3 minute flourless cake), and topped it with most of the whipped cream. Still have a little left I didn't use.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
My Ninja stick has 3 blades instead of 1. (Thus why it is so much larger than the others.) The blades are pretty sharp. Doesn't mean I haven't worked around them with my fingers tho to get stuff out.
It does a pretty impressive job of blending up ice!!
I miss the whisk attachment that the Cuisinart had.
Yikes you're braver than I am. I'd use my half-spatula or let it go--have reached my lifetime quota for scalpel stabbings from my ninja prep.

I recently got my Braun stick out (made long ago when they were still making things that were compatible with American power outlets) and finally tried the mayo-from-scratch-in-a-jar trick (it worked). Used a wider than usual jar, so it wasn't almost instant, but it emulsified in maybe a minute and a half. Thanks, Buttoni, for putting us in mind of this use.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

This Ninja Warrior has one container & blades similar to the smaller one in the prep (too bad they aren't compatible),,, the 40oz with 2 blades (they call it 4 I think). Boy those things are sharp!! Understand you're calling them scalpel. And I actually don' t mess around those blades in the stick much. Should have gotten my little spatula out for the whipped cream, but didn't. But if I hadn't used something to get some of it out, like I had said, I'd have left half my whipped cream behind. It doesn't seem to do a very good job of whirring it off like the one blade ones did (and they certainly didn't get it all out/off!).
Have you ever tried making whipped cream in your Ninja Prep? Does the book say you can do it?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I tried in the ninja prep once, but it just beats the cream--thickens it a good deal, but doesn't add a lot of air to it. And the machine acts weird in the process: takes longer to whir down when you complete a pulse, and starts to sound like an airplane engine when the cream gets thicker.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Creek. Thickens is more what I got with the Ninja stick too. I won't try it with the other attachment either then (the processor attachment). I'll stick with doing it in my KA mixer.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well what really counts is we're managing to GET THAT CREAM WHIPPED, with whatever tool works for us. A-1 priority in my book!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
I love my immersion blender and use it a lot. It's a "Miallegro" model 9090, and has several blades, a whisk, a blending cup, and a chopper cup too. It's a real power monster!

I got mine through Amazon. If anyone is looking for a nice immersion blender, check it out:

Haven't used mine for whipping cream yet, but I'm tempted now!
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotec View Post
I love my immersion blender and use it a lot. It's a "Miallegro" model 9090, and has several blades, a whisk, a blending cup, and a chopper cup too. It's a real power monster!

I got mine through Amazon. If anyone is looking for a nice immersion blender, check it out:

Haven't used mine for whipping cream yet, but I'm tempted now!
Yeah, I heard that model is really good; went so far as to put it on my Amazon wish list, then realized I don't have enough excuse to buy it, since I already have a good (albeit not as powerful) Braun model. But your Miallegro is supposed to be THE giant value in super-high-power stick blenders.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 01-26-2012 at 11:38 PM..