Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GoodEnough
WOE: Diabetic-low carb/glycemic
Best LC dessert for special occasion?

It's my dh's birthday Saturday. I can't decide what to make him for a cake replacement. He's diet controlled diabetic, and very strict about his carbs. I know he won't touch anything over 15 net carbs, and I'd prefer it either be less or a good portion for that many.

I have to make it tomorrow (way to be last minute). I'Ve acesss to cabquick or other specialty products unless a health food chain store would carry it.

So... May be asking for the moon, here!

His old favorite Peanut butter cups.... And I can't remember what else Been too many years!
GoodEnough is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Oh, it don't have to be a cake, not sure of it sounded like I was looking for one!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Do you have a can of black soybeans? Lauren's black soybean cake is our favorite. A cheesecake is always a good idea. I'm pretty sure there are some peanut butter cheesecake recipes.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm with the black bean cake, although I don't use soybeans, I use regular unseasoned canned black beans. It's an EASY cake to make, it's moist and very chocolatey, and you could make a peanut butter/chocolate bar ganache for the topping - easy!

Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll link to it.

Otherwise I think Lauren has peanut butter cups on her website too - Healthy Indulgences - if you want to look it up. Look for the June 18, 2011 entry.

And she has some killer good ice cream bars which I made with peanut butter, look for May 27, 2008 on her blog.

In fact she has TONS of good desserts on there and most of them use easy-to-find ingredients.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
How about a peanut butter cheesecake with a chocolate crust?
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Ooooo, I have that peanut butter chocolate chunk cheesecake recipe on here someplace - man that is some GOOD cheesecake if I DO say so myself!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-awesome.html
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...heesecake.html
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Goodness! I'm so glad I decided to join and ask! Thanks! I may have to make more than one.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Char, could you elaborate on the peanut butter chocolate bar ganache topping? Sounds divine.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Well, Dee, I've not made it so it's conjecture BUT I think it would work great!

For my ganache, I use 2 3.5 ounce dark chocolate bars, broken up, and about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, more or less.

This last cake I made Wednesday (the black bean cake) I use 1 99% cacao bar and one 72% cacao bar, plus the cream, plus some NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carbs blend to taste.

Now, I think if you used a tablespoon of peanut butter, and THEN enough cream to make it a spreadable consistency - that would be awesome!

So what I do is chop or break the chocolate up into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup; nuke for 40 seconds, stir a bit (it's still not all melted) and then nuke another 30 seconds, keep doing that and stirring until the chocolate is fairly smooth - then add a little of the heavy cream, stir, nuke, cream, stir, nuke, til you get the consistency you want, remembering that it thickens a bit as it cools.

I think I'd add the PB as soon as the chocolate is melted, stir, nuke, see what the consistency is, add cream as needed.

If you keep it kind of tight, it will make more of a chocolate "shell" on the finished product - if you loosen it up a bit more with cream, it will stay a bit "softer" like a frosting.

I do it all by feel, not by measure, so I'm sorry not to be more specific!

Oh, and this was the right amount to frost the top of an 8" square cake. Let it cool slightly til you can dip your finger into it comfortably before frosting the cake.

Last edited by Charski; 01-20-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Linda Sue's Chocolate Truffle Torte

CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE TORTE
6 ounces Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped *
1/2 cup butter, cut up
Pinch salt
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted
3 eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream, optional

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter on 50% power for 2 minutes or until the butter and chocolate are melted, stirring once or twice. Whisk until completely smooth. Whisk in the salt, sweetener, cocoa, eggs, cream and vanilla. Whisk until well blended. Pour the chocolate mixture into a greased 9-inch pie plate.

Bake at 350║ degrees for 15 minutes or until the torte has puffed around the edges but the center is almost firm to the touch but still slightly jiggly. Cool completely. Chill well before serving. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

Makes 8-10 servings
Freezing not recommended

* If you can tolerate the bitterness, you can save quite a few carbs by using Lindt 85% cocoa extra dark chocolate. I haven't tried it myself, but I've included the counts below for that version.

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/8 recipe: 330 Calories; 30g Fat; 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 recipe: 264 Calories; 24g Fat; 4g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/8 recipe: 318 Calories; 30g Fat; 5g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 recipe: 254 Calories; 24g Fat; 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

You may recognize this as the filling from my Chocolate Silk Pie recipe. Due to the amount of real sugar in this recipe, this is only suitable for maintenance or for a very special treat. It's not all that sweet, but at least it doesn't have the usual bitterness of most chocolate and Splenda desserts. I have a feeling that it would be quite bitter made with 85% chocolate though. If you don't overbake this, the texture will be very soft and truffle-like. Click the photo to see a close-up.

MADE WITH LINDT 85% COCOA EXTRA DARK CHOCOLATE:

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/8 recipe: 325 Calories; 30g Fat; 5g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 6.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 recipe: 260 Calories; 24g Fat; 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/8 recipe: 313 Calories; 30g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 recipe: 250 Calories; 24g Fat; 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Thank you so much, Char.I have never made a ganache, but did run into problem incorporating melted chocolate into a pumpkin cheesecake I made for Christmas. I had a recipe for a pumpkin chocolate "bread" where you did the swirl thing with the chocolate melted into the batter. I decided to try it with the cheese cake but forgot the part about using half the batter first, then the chocolate swirl, then the rest of the batter and another round of swirl. I put the melted chocolate on top of the unbaked cake and swirled. There was a lot of chocolate. I used a water bath so the cake was very creamy. I let the whole thing ripened in the fridge for 2 days.When I served it the chocolate was very hard on top and the cake was so soft and creamy that it was impossible to serve in slices. It was incredibly delicious , though. I think the addition of some cream might keep the chocolate from getting so hard. And maybe I just used too much chocolate. In any case the addition of peanut butter to the chocolate sound wonderful and I'm sure I'll find a good way to use it.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Oh Dee, sorry your recipe didn't turn out the way you wanted!

Yes, I think if you melted the chocolate and added some cream too it, OR I believe what I've done in the past for the swirl is to use cocoa powder and about 1/3 of the cheesecake batter - mix the cocoa powder and more sweetener if you want into the batter, then use THAT for the swirling.

I can see where just melting the chocolate and using that to swirl would cause it to harden back up under refrigeration. I bet it tasted awesome though!